The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-09-2003, 08:36 PM   #41
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I just have a quick question that maybe one of the B-D elders can answer. It is related.

About how many times do you need to read the Silmarillion until you are educated enough in it to make wonderful responses like many of the people here? I have only read it through once like Helka, so you can definitely tell that I am not totally educated in it. All I need is a number, just a simple response.

I found that while reading the book that the actually reading level was not completely diffcult, but that the vastness of the novel was just hard to grasp for me.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:46 PM   #42
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Tolkien

I have only read the Silmarillion once, quite recently. But I find my understanding of it has been supplemented greatly by reading the threads on this forum. Also, reading the Unfinished Tales helps, since it expands on a number of the tales told in the Silmarillion, the Narn I Hin Hurin especially.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:59 AM   #43
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I quite agree with Saucepan Man. Reading these threads can greatly further your understanding of what you read in the Silm because they bring out more obscure things that normally would have taken you awhile to find and develop on your own. I for one am very grateful to the intelligent people who help to bring the good threads about. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] You have saved me from many agonising hours of brain-racking.
Peace
Old 06-10-2003, 01:16 PM   #44
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

I second Saucepan on that. I understood everything I read. It's just the many names that confused me. But once I buy teh book itself, I can study the family trees more carefully.

I have not been able to get UT in Holland. They don't even have them at the book store. I had to dig up the sill in th local library. Bless those people, they are one of the few dutch that have Tolkien's works. I don't want to turn this into a Dutch conversation since people got that idea so I'll just ask this, how did you manage to get ut?

Suilad,

Anuion
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 01:24 PM   #45
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Okay, I will try to read the book threads. During the entire time I have posted here on the B-D's I have mainly advoided the books forum just because whenever I posted my opinion always seemed incorrect.

Thank you everyone [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2003, 01:32 PM   #46
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Yeah I know that feeling Gorwingel. I felt to ignorant and had not but the slightest hunge of a clue what everyone was talking about. I tried a few threads but I was always redirected to the novices and newcomers section.

I felt so stupid. Then I read lotr. And I hardly ever go to the movie forum anymore. Maybe after Rotk. But not sure. The thing is, that if you read the books, you finaly feel like a real downer. That was my opinion anyway. Someone who has not read Tolkien can of course go to the books, it is free to anyone. But if you only say: Wow did not know that, or : is Tom really a Maya, what is a Maya they sound cool? it can get really annoying in my opinion. And I urge to say: My opinion.

But the Silmarillion was indeed an enlightment.

Suilad,

Anuion
Old 06-10-2003, 01:37 PM   #47
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Eye

I have read the books, LOTR three times, the hobbit once and the Sil once.

Can anyone answer the question of how old Galadriel really is? After reading the Sil she seems so old.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:41 PM   #48
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

About 8 or 9000 is my guess. She was born before the banning and that as a while ago. But of course, that can just be me talking nonsence again [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

But she is indeed past the 4000 beyond any doubt.

Suilad,

Anuion
Old 06-10-2003, 02:18 PM   #49
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Definately older than 4000, Helka. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Just going by what I read in the Silm, she was born in the first half of the First Age; the Third Age was 3021 years, and the Second Age was 3441 years. And if (and this is my opinion) the First Age was the longest of the three, that would make Galadriel approximately 8500-9000 years old.

Nice guess there, Helka; your nonsense was correct! *gives Helka a medal*
Old 06-10-2003, 02:25 PM   #50
Mahal
Haunting Spirit

Mahal has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mahal
Sting

Hey Helka if you want the Unfinished Tales in Dutch you can get it at Bol. I bought it there also.If you want the English version I suppose they have it there also.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:32 PM   #51
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Galadriel was born during the Age of the Trees, in a time before Fëanor made the Silmarils or the Noldor rebelled against the Valar. I would say you are about right at 9,000 or so years.
The second time I read The Silm, I had a pencil and paper nearby so that I could jot down any bits I needed to clarify; especially the family trees and such.
And I have also been grateful to the Books section here. Many times I have had a thought or a query and these have always been solved by a quick search.....the variety and depth of discussion here is amazing.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #52
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Galadriel was not born in the first age; she was born in Valinor during the Years of the Trees. According to the Annals of Aman Finarfin and Earwen were wedded in 1280 (years of the tress). The Silmarils were made in 1450, so I would place the birth of Galadriel at about 1350. Using the conversion factor of 9.582 solar years = 1 year of the trees, and given that the first age began in 1500, Galadriel would be 8400-8500 years old at the end of the third age.

So, good guess.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:19 AM   #53
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Gosh thanks. Having read the book, I finaly have stopped with the nonesence. I guess. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]