The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2002, 11:53 PM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien Buying LOTR stuff

I admit it. Before the movie came out, I ran around groaning about the commercialization of Tolkien, and how we were going to have to deal with Aragorn breakfast cereal and Frodo toothpaste and other assorted products.

Then, after the movie came out, I saw that some of this "stuff" wasn't so bad and I actually went out and purchased some items on e-bay and in the local shops.

I guess I'm not the only one who did this. I just noticed two other threads where people mentioned having balances on their credit cards or being broke since they had gone a little crazy.

OK, it's time to be honest now. Let us know what, if anything, you purchased related to LotR.....books, toys, jewelry, game cards, statues, whatever.

Did you find something that you particuarly liked? Conversely, was there something crazy you bought that you wish you'd never set your eyes on?

Tomorrow, I'll slip in my own answer to this question, but just wanted to get it up on the site this evening.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 05-29-2002, 11:59 PM   #2
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Only every Tolkien book, except HoME. Oh and The FotR soundtrack.

There's a lot that I would love to but don't have the money for.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:25 AM   #3
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

My husband bought me lots of stuff which is very like him to encourage me in my passions despite the fact they are not his passions.

I have a blank note book/diary with Arwen's picture on it. He also got me the entire collection of bookmarks with the one ring attached, as well as the Sil, The Tlokien Reader,, the Official Movie Guide, and a Tolkien Art Book I've had my eye on for 3 years.

Oh yeah, and the collection of BurgerKing action Figures.

Yes, I know, I'm gonna have to stop that man...

Just remembered some more... The Hobbit, LoTR and RotK on DVD, The National Geographic Tolkien special, on DVD, and the Soundtrack CD.

[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 05-30-2002, 01:19 AM   #4
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

A good firend of mine got an extra set of the LotR Burger King mugs, they were given to me and I am quite glad. I also have movie edition books.
It is 2am here so if I am making no sens I will fix it when I get some sleep.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 02:44 AM   #5
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't like all that stuff, I only downloaded the soundtrack, I'm a true lover of all kinds of music, so I couldn't miss that! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

I don't count the books or tickets by stuff, stuff are gadsgets like action figures or a remake of the ring or so.

[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: Veritas ]
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 04:02 AM   #6
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well i've never bought LotR stuff for myself. Last christmas i gave my two tolkien loving sisters two tickets to see the movie. My sister (one of the two) bought LotR in london last summer (when it was still semi-cheap)but thats about it. And i gave the other (sister that is) Unfinished Tales for her birthday. My lack of funding prevents me from going crazy. (but i am definately there for the game cube's The Hobbit [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 05-30-2002, 04:15 AM   #7
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

The only thing I have bought is the soundtrack, but I have my eye on this Frodo action figure, the only one left in the toy shop...
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 04:36 AM   #8
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I confess that I have the soundtrack and all the bookmarks. I also have the movie picture companion book, or whatever its called as well as a series of small cards with calendars on the back and pictures on the front.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:01 AM   #9
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Seeing the movie three times (I'm usually an "eh-I'll-catch-it-on-cable" type of gal)was a big splurge for me. Also planning to buy the DVDs as they come out, since - unlike books - I generally do not collect videos or DVDs.

Other than that, nothing from the movie marketing has grabbed me at all. I'm too old to hang a poster of Elijah Woods on my wall, and those BK glasses were just tacky!

I might have bought the Two Towers PC game when it comes out, but I found out it only features Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli hacking orcs. Not my cup of tea.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:25 AM   #10
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I have the Hobbit and LoTR on CD- the Audio storybooks. My husband bought them for me 2 years ago when I had a surgery and couldn't get out of bed for 2 weeks.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:41 AM   #11
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

To tell you the truth, I never bought any mechandise realting to LotR, except, of course, the books, along with The Hobbit. I think that has been the closest Iv come to buying anything LotR related, except, two LotR bookmarks, which I got from my school library, and the LotR soundtrack, which I didn't buy at all, someone gave to me.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:28 AM   #12
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

::enters quietly and takes a seat in the back of the LOTR Memorabilia Anonymous meeting . . . stands up, knees slightly shaky when called on and says . . . Hello, my name is Piosenniel and I am an LOTRMemaholic . . .::

Before the movie came out, I was wandering about Barnes and Noble Bookstore and happened on their FOTR display. It drew me in like a sideshow barker and I was hooked! Bought all the bookmarks with the rings attached, 2 books on the making of the movie with plenty of 8X10 glossies, a set of the movie-cover paperbacks which I promptly sat down and reread, and the first four books of HoME, which I had no idea had been written.

I was like a kid in a candy store once the movie actually arrived - I discovered Ebay and the power of a Master Card with a large limit. (Picture gollum here and his obsession with the Ring). Now in my possesion from there are a signed pic of Boromir regarding the Ring, an original signing by Sean Bean on the cover of an FOTR script, the trade ad from Variety promoting the movie for consideration for academy awards and featuring the kiss of Aragorn to Boromir scene, and, oh yes, a very nice china cup from England featuring Boromir. (Yes, I confess I like the character of Boromir and Sean Bean.)

My most recent find was quite by accident as I was window shopping at a small curio shop. I had looked at a number of pewter miniatures of the characters, but was not really drawn to them, when I happened to glance at the fantasy display of miniature dragons. It was a miniature of a scene which sparked my memory - a fell rider with an unadorned crown rode on the back of a great winged beast, which was perched in triumph on the body of a fallen rider and his horse. Facing him were two brave souls - one a small barefooted fellow brandishing a small blade and the other a woman in a warrior's garb, her blade drawn. On the small field in front of the beasts foot was a small shield with a horse head on it. It's now sitting right here by my computer.

Now, that is all I'm going to confess to for the moment. Suffice it to say I have a very lucrative job and the kid is out of the house!!
Old 05-30-2002, 11:35 AM   #13
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

LOL, piosenniel, You're worse than me!

Hey, We're nieghbors! Do you mind if I ask where in Oregon you,re from? I'm in Port Orchard Wa, West of Seattle. I used to live in Or. when I was a kid.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:50 AM   #14
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

I live in Springfield, OR - the southern end of the Willamette Valley, between the Cascade and the Coastal Mountain ranges. I moved here by way of Minnesota,Colorado, and California. The Northwest with all its lush forests had always reminded me of ME.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:53 AM   #15
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OOO poisonnel how cool!! That would be the chief of the nazul atop a very dead King Theoden, with Eowyn and Merry. hehe
Rae makes me jealous, My parents would never understand. My dad is only casual (not obsessed like me) and I truly believe my mother detests LOTR. So I have nothin but the soundtrack which I bought with Christmas money. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: Frodo Baggins ]
Old 05-30-2002, 12:28 PM   #16
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Hullo, Frodo! Excellent guess! but then you were always good at riddles!!!

'Obsessed' - that is a good word for me! But really I haven't started muttering 'my precioussss'. . . as yet!
Old 05-30-2002, 02:15 PM   #17
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I beat you to that poisenneil. I call my collectors edition of The Hobbit and LOTR "My precious" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2002, 03:46 PM   #18
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Last confession - I just had UPS knock at my door - forgot I had this on back order! A replica of the LOTR elven brooch from the movie - sterling silver and green enameled - oh, now I am thinking 'My Precioussss!!!!
Old 05-30-2002, 03:46 PM   #19
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HEY Piosenniel! You know that no LoTR collection is complete unless you have one of the first American editions of the trilogy, circa 1957, which I just happen to have and have been seeking a home for.

No? Well how about a deed to the Bridge of Khazad-dûm?
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 04:01 PM   #20
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio whips out her VISA and MasterCard -- I'll take both!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2002, 04:04 PM   #21
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Well,piosenniel
Maybe I'll head your way sometime and we can meet, face to face and confess our mutual obsessions.

I'd like to live in Ore again. The weather is better than Wa, but not as hot as Ca. (lived in Bakersfield 13 years, yuk!)

I like your new pic, by the way!
Old 05-30-2002, 09:44 PM   #22
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

piosenniel, you are not alone!
Where should I start...
~I bought the Arwen necklace (this is my precious!)
~Frodo, Gandalf, Merry & Pippin action figures
~Arwen, Saruman, Orc, Pippin, & Gimli BK figures
~Frodo journal
~Frodo, Aragorn, Arwen, & Gandalf bookmarks
~Middle Earth poster (from long before the movie)
~BAFTA add featuring Frodo & Sam
*takes a breath*
~books - LOTR, TTT, ROTK, the Hobbit, the Sil, book of artwork, Tolkien bio, The Hobbit Companion
~FOTR movie poster (this I actually got for free
~artwork - "A Memory of Lothlorien", "The Final Battle," "The Silmarillion (collection of 6 posters)"

I am sure I am forgetting something...
I am still planning on getting the Elven brooch (if it doesn't sell out) and the Galadriel bust due out this fall...

Whew, that's enough I think!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:45 PM   #23
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
(Yes, I confess I like the character of Boromir and Sean Bean.)
Really? I hadn't noticed. . .
Anyhoo, I have LotR (one book containing FotR, TTT, & RotK), I have one book of FotR, I have the Sil, I have Unfinished Tales, and the Official Movie Guide. (not to mention a whole lot of pics from the movie, "mainly" focused on my favorite elf. . .)
Hey, how did you get a free movie poster, Tigerlilly?! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] I want one!!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Also, if I had ANY $$, I would also buy an Elvin brooch, but sadly, I'm broke (I think). [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:51 PM   #24
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

I got my poster from my school. When I returned to school in January there were LOTR posters all over the cafe, so I was like, "what are these doing here?" It turned out that General Mills was having a promotion... if you bought 3 little cereals (about $1 each) then you get a poster. So it wasn't exactly "free", but close enough.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:55 AM   #25
Child of the 7th Age

Tolkien

Tigerlilly and Pio --

I thought I was bad. You guys are worse than I am.

Yes, I too discovered e-bay. Pio, were you the one scamming me at the last minute on all those things?

Most of this stuff came as presents for Hanukah, my birthday, and Mother's Day. I dropped broad hints to family and friends. Some of this is not directly related to the movie, but I found a whole lot of general Tolkien things came flooding out after the film release.

All 6 secret boxes in ceramic from department 56 which, when put together, form a ring (my husband's birthday present--I love it!)

My main book addition was to complete all 12 volumes of HoMe, 10 in hardback and 2 in trade paper. My proudest moment was walking into a secondhand bookstore and finding a first edition of The Lost Road for $10 at the same time it was selling on e-bay for over $100.

Also, I got the mines of moria poster--the one where Gandalf and Frodo are talking about not being able to choose the times you live in but only to decide how you will respond (my motto--you're never too old for posters).

The Oscar ad with Sam and Frodo hugging and crying (sniff!).

Reproductions of two Alan Lee prints to hang above my desk--Luthien and Galadriel.

CDs of the movie soundtrack and the Tolkien
Ensemble and David Arkenstone (OK, so I went crazy--I love music).

A couple of Tolkien movie postcards. This is actually an ongoing thing I've done for years.

Oh, yes, and then there's the stuff I bought for my daughter who loves Tolkien and begged for these things for Hanukah and report card rewards and now her birthday.....

pictures of the movie Sam and Frodo for her bedroom

several packs of game cards -- she doesn't play but she collects.

an Arwen/Frodo toy (Mom would have preferred something different, but what can you do?)

her own Hobbit book (the one illustrated by Lee)

That's about it. Oh, no. I remember. I just bought the art book from the movie for myself. It is beautiful-- many sketches by Lee and Howe. This volume shows all the concept sketches for costumes, buildings, etc. Lots of pictures that aren't in the movie, e.g., complete plan of Bag End

Now, I am broke, and shouldn't buy anything. Er, when I went with my son to the comic book/gaming store, I saw these little pewter figures of the 4 hobbits and Gandalf......gee, I really would like those......

Old 05-31-2002, 10:41 AM   #26
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Raefindel - I thought the new pic appropriate for this discussion - It's called 'The Magpie Fairy' and shows a gypsyish looking girl with wild flowing hair and all sorts of little treasures she's collected adorning herself in a hodgepodge of 'jewelry'. & yes, if you're ever down this way, let me know - we can meet somewhere!

Child, Tigerlilly - It would be quite fun for all of us to attend a LOTRCON (heaven forbid they should ever start these up!), the sheer number of available collectibles, books, treasures would set us drooling!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2002, 03:37 PM   #27
Child of the 7th Age

Tolkien

Pio, Tigerlilly--

If I ever went to a convention like that, I'd have to give my credit cards to one of you to hold so I would not go crazy.

I have always been a collector. I have collected LOTR postcards, books, and even posters for a good number of years. Also some King Arthur stuff and dragons.

My favorite poster is actually framed and hanging in my "formal" living room. (Down south we still have such things.) It's the one Tolkien drew of Taniquetil with Manwe's house on top that was put out by the Bodleian Library in the 70s. Every time I get upset, I look at it and it calms me down!

Oh, yes, I carefully saved my coffee money all week and went out this afternoon and bought one small pewter Frodo. If I'm good and don't spend any money, I figure I can get Sam next week.

HeHe.

Old 05-31-2002, 06:17 PM   #28
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

I have three unrelated collections at war in my bedroom at the moment.

First and most complete is my Bob Dylan Collection - discs, albums, posters, ticket stubs, biographies, discographies, etc., etc. When I was young I was going to grow up to be a troubador just like him!

Next one vying for attention is my X-Files collection - books, all the epis on tape, the first 5 seasons on disc, the 'I Want To Believe' poster, the collectible cards, and official mug from the Walter's Wenches in Waiting group, etc, etc.

My Tolkien collection is in the fledgling stage, so really there is much expansion that can be done with it!!!
Old 05-31-2002, 06:20 PM   #29
Alchrivëwen
Haunting Spirit

Alchrivëwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alchrivëwen
Sting

0_0 I only have the sound track
Old 05-31-2002, 06:23 PM   #30
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Calenedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My collectibles aren't much right now but I drool every time I see somethig I want from LOTR. Right Now I own a puzzle of the movie and a poster of Legolas and 3 cross stitch patterns of the movie.
Calenedheliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 06:26 PM   #31
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Hi Pio,
We have a new member rohan silivren. Can you guess who that is?
Old 05-31-2002, 06:27 PM   #32
rowan silivren

Sting

So, I am new to all of this, but planning on begininng my collection of stuff. Mostly
I would like to steal Aragorn away and add him to my collection, if you know what I mean....
Old 05-31-2002, 06:27 PM   #33
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Well, they may not have LOTRCONs around me, but you can find treasures at comic and sci-fi conventions. I recently went to one & that's where I got all of my new artwork. They also had armory stands, fantasy stands, and you could even get a copy of the movie if you wanted to. If there is a big convention near you check it out!

I forgot to metion these earlier:
~complete FOTR movie card set
~LOTR tarot card deck
~CD's - movie soundtrack, Music Inspired by Middle Earth, Lord of the Rings cartoon (I do not recommend this, I bought it before I actually saw the cartoon)
~I also own the cartoon on DVD, luckily I got it on sale [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Sharon - I was looking through that art book for the movie at Border's yesterday. It is a beautiful book! I really really want to buy it!'

As for all of us going LOTR shopping... call me up, I am all for it!
PS - my friend told me that there is a store in Ann Arbor, Michigan called Middle Earth. Methinks I shall check it out since that is only a 45 minute drive for me! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quick, take away my credit cards!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2002, 06:30 PM   #34
Alchrivëwen
Haunting Spirit

Alchrivëwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alchrivëwen
Sting

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh there are no other LOTR fanatics where I live, plus Im saving up for material so I can make my elf dress
Old 05-31-2002, 07:06 PM   #35
Calenedheliel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I am currently making hobbit costumes for my girlfriend and I. I am making capes, vests, and shirts and we will have the elven brooch for the opening of the next movie
Old 05-31-2002, 07:07 PM   #36
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I'm saving up money to buy a reproduction Evanstar necklace. *sigh* Such a pretty necklace. Unfortunately, it costs $75, so it'll be a long summer. . .
Well, no, actually, my parents owe me money for my grades, and that usually gets me quite a bit (sort of). The summer might not feel so long after all. . .
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:16 PM   #37
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Nevfeniel ~ the necklace is worth the price. It is gorgeous. I got one when they were first released and it has become "my precious!"
Old 05-31-2002, 07:21 PM   #38
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Happiness!!! I just looked over my report card, and my mom owes me $50!! I only need $25 more, and Evanstar is as good as mine! Yay!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2002, 08:27 PM   #39
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I have the soundtrack, the 4 books, and another book that I found. I also would have another book (I think it's the movie guide) but when my mom showed it to me in Seattle I said I'd wait till we got home! Stupid stupid stupid! I haven't gone to a bookstore since and I really must!! I'm not into all the merchandising stuff. If it's worth it, I'll buy it. If it's not... I'll buy it later. I'll read the Sil this summer, I promise! Then I'll be as smart as all of you [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ! And of course I'll BUY it, cuz I'll actually have time to shop!
Also, my friend has a replica of Sting which I was playing with all evening the other day, and there's a shop nearby that sells a lot of fantasy items. Truly cool, I'm going to check it out soon too.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:45 PM   #40
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Ithaeliel, are you in Wa?