The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Pipe Favourite moment in LotR (the books)

Okay, inspired by hewhoarisesinmight's thread about the Silmarillion, I thought it would be interesting to start a similar thread for LotR. Certainly we have each our own favourite moment... I don't know if we can speak of the whole trilogy, but I think if we were to mention every beautiful moment in LotR, we might as well rewrite the whole trilogy in here. So please, try to mention just those moments which really really really really really have an impact on you.

I'll start. When writing the above, I managed to bring my S-D-R (Select-Discard-Reselect) process of thinking to conclusion on two separate moments, both from FotR.

When I first read LotR, one part which stroke me very hard was the moment when Frodo climbs up on Amon Hen and then sees. At that moment, the book really took me inside. I was no longer with my book in the city room, I saw what Frodo saw. It was a breathtaking experience, as if you were suddenly lifted up and overlooked the whole world. But everywhere was the menace: Sauron preparing for war, the fortress of Isengard, the Orcs from Moria. And the final part, the sprinkle of hope, beautiful and great Minas Tirith. "But against Minas Tirith was set another fortress, greater and more strong. Thither, eastward, unwilling his eye was drawn..." Chill goes down my spine. (No such feelings in the movie. Camera zoom on Sauron's eye does not seem much great to me.)

The other moment I would like to mention as well is the end of the 6th chapter "Lothlórien" in FotR, the part on Cerin Amroth. It is a "fresh memory" - it touched me when I was reading FotR last time, which was something like a month ago. I actually didn't know there is such a part - I didn't remember it, it didn't seem interesting to me before. If anything, I'd probably remember the moment when Aragorn leaves Cerin Amroth and speaks to "invisible" Arwen. But what touched me now was the part when Haldir shows Frodo the view from the hilltop: Caras Galadhon, and then, Dol Guldur. "In this high place you may see the two powers that are opposed one to another; and ever they strive now in thought, but whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered. Not yet." Makes me wonder if I am really much into this "large-view" stuff. Maybe. I like small things, the calm moments... but those two really lifted me up from my... ehm, bed

So, what about yours?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
The chapter 'The Voice of Saruman'.
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My own SDR left me with these choices. It was really hard to discard the last few, and I almost feel bad for all those passages.

The first one is the part which I find myself reading in excerpts most often lately: the Battle of the Pelennor Fields (including the ends of the Ride of the Rohirrim and the Siege of Gondor). To me, it feels more like the climax of the books than the destroying of the Ring, maybe also because it re-unites three threads of the plot. It's difficult to say why I'm so drawn to it, maybe all this defiance of death for the good of Good first, and then the madness of battle, and the madness inside of the fighting, too. Not to forget it also features the encounters of Gandalf and Éowyn with the Witch-King, which both send chills down my spine.

What fascinates me very much as well are some of the dialogues. First, there's the one between Frodo and Boromir. It's amazing, and also somewhat frightening, to see Boromir go from rational to insane in this short time. The second are the dialogues between 'the terrible old men' Denethor and Gandalf (and Pippin/Faramir). Again I can't explain why, but they make me hold my breath, probably just like they made Pippin.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
Břicho
Animated Skeleton

Břicho has just left Hobbiton.
The attack on crickhollow was the first time I REALLY got excited, when I read it for the first time. The rise of the hobbits stunned me.

I also really love the "tom-taps" in MOria.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:00 AM   #5
Ghazi
Haunting Spirit

Ghazi has just left Hobbiton.
The horns of the Rohirrim coming to the defence of Minas Tirith, beginning with the scene where Gandalf faces the Witch King at the broken Gate.
Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
I'm a massive fan of the whole "King of the Golden Hall" chapter, it's like opening the lid on a box and finding an entire culture inside, utterly familiar yet also utterly alien.

Likewise "The Ring Goes South" - wandering through the ruins of the great second age Eldarin civilization, you suddenly realise "bloody hell, Middle Earth really is OLD".
mhagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

I'd say in The Ring Goes South, when, before setting out on their journey, Boromir blows the Horn of Gondor in Rivendell (see my signature), and Elrond tells him he should be slow to wind the horn again, until he stood closer to his land. Boromir replies in his fashion, and I love the determination Boromir shows in his words. I love the whole jouney of the Fellowship.

I would also have to say the whole Old Forest-In the House of Tom Bombadil-The Barrow-Downs as a section of the books that really latches onto me.

Again, this is really narrowing it down. If I had time, I'd make a big list, and of course be confused as to which to write here. There's so much magic in the book.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
I remember the first time I read it Sam saying "Yes! The Elf-warrior is loose!" made my heart leap.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
Texadan
Animated Skeleton

Texadan has just left Hobbiton.
At the moment it's when the three companions are about to enter Fangorn forest. Gimli is very troubled and nervous about it. Legolas speaks of the forest's age and says something like, "I could have been happy here had I come in a time of peace." Gimli says, "I'm sure you could. You are a wood elf. Yet you comfort me." The bond that grows between the Fellowship, and especially Gimli and Legolas, is a delight.
Texadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
"What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and the brats roll on the floor with the dogs?" Classic!
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:55 AM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
How about all of it?

Here's some for starters:

That whole first chapter.

When Old Man Willow traps the Hobbits.

When the Hobbits try to pass over the Downs.

When the Witch King scares Eowyn.

Eowyn's last words to Aragorn.

The arrival of the Rohirrim at Pelennor.

When Saruman and Gandalf are engaged in a sanwe battle at Isengard.

The moment at Rivendell when Frodo sees the 'Light' of Aragorn as he watches him with Arwen.

When Sam returns and goes to the Cottons' farm and sees Rosie again.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #12
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
My all-time, most favorite, most beloved moment (in both the books and the movie!) is the Horns of Gondor at Pelennor.

Wow. Chills and even a little surge of emotion just thinking about it. The dark hour, the pending defeat of Gondor, the shattering of the gate, the near-triumph of the Witch-King, all thwarted by the riders of Rohan.

The horns, the beautiful horns, which Pippin could never again hear without getting teary-eyed, heralding the arrival, the salvation, the rescue, the turning of the tide.

It's...gloriously breathtaking.

In the books, I hate that we have to go back and rediscover what Rohan was doing all that time, but when we finally arrive, you can tell that Tolkien was seeing everything on the battlefield in his mind's eye, and it was every bit as glorious as the movie makes it.

The movie did the moment justice; it was the first time I'd ever shed a tear in a movie, and my sister was absolutely sobbing.

Foreshadowing the true Return of the King, IE, my signature...
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My favorite moments would have to be...well there's Bree and the Old Forest. I really enjoyed the Tom Bombadil and Barrow-downs chapters. I enjoyed the Fangorn Forest chapter, the part where they arrive at Edoras. The battles of Helms Deep and Pelennor Field and then the coronation.