Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #721
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well Kath is willing...

so we will be back very soon - I just need to decide how we have spent our lost time. I have read through quickly and it seems that we have only lost a day since we got stuck in dead end conversations on page 11 (ca post 430-something). Is that possible?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 07-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #722
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
I must admit that I have no idea of where the timeline is for the Inn. And probably should apologise, since I most likely pushed it ahead a fair number of days with the return of my character to the Inn from some business in Bree in this post .

My bad!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #723
Rose
Haunting Spirit

Rose has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry, I don't quite know "when" we are, either. Only that it's morning at the Inn.

Undómë - I have Rowan and Prim making their way out of the common room. Alright?

Granny Greenhill is following along to see what they're up to.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #724
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envinyatar View Post
I must admit that I have no idea of where the timeline is for the Inn. And probably should apologise, since I most likely pushed it ahead a fair number of days with the return of my character to the Inn from some business in Bree in this post .

My bad!
Don't worry I can be non-time specific. Given that it is so long ago and hardly any of those we interracted with still around it feels it should be longer. The young truants will have been apprehended by their aunt (the original RPG character Mithalwen, whose namesake has somehow taken over my life!!!), who will no doubt be rivalling Wooster's Aunt Agatha and giving them such a miserable time that time will have passed very slowly for them in deed.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:19 AM   #725
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Anyone want to apprehend the fleeing Hobbit in my recent post?

I've no idea if the fellow knows anything or not. If someone wants to make up a clue Mungo might give - go for it. We can take it from there.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #726
Rose
Haunting Spirit

Oh! Let Granny take a crack at tripping the scoundrel up!!!

Will post this evening if that's alright.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #727
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, chaps. I be back and have no idea what I missed. Will someone fill me in briefly? Who's here, what's happening, where's Dick?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #728
Rose
Haunting Spirit

Folwren

Hmmm, well........

I think we've decided that time has moved forward a bit. It was rather vague, but enough to get us past the whole episode with the wolves.

At the top of the present page on the Inn game thread it's mid morning. Rowan and Prim got up late and discovered Cook is missing - vanished. Breakfast was more or less thrown together and served buffet style in the common room. Everyone at the Inn has been throwing out ideas about what might have happened to Cook. Most of which have no basis in reality.

Granny Greenhill (my character) has come to the Inn - she had the Shiriff sent for and suggested Will be sent to fetch back Hugh, the postman, since Rowan recalled that she'd seen Cook reading a fat letter Hugh delivered the previous day and Cook seemed to have reacted badly to what was in the letter.

So, Will's off to find Hugh (who, it's been decided, will most likely be found at Gardenia's Boffin's place northwest of Stock).

Hithadan, the ranger, has spied a suspicious Hobbit (Mungo Brandybuck) trying to sneak out of the Inn and calls for him to be held. Granny lays the fellow low and some unidentified fellows in the Inn drag him up to face the shiriff and the ranger.

None of us players know whether or not Mungo knows anything of importance, but someone can maybe make up something he's seen or heard on his nefarious nocturnal dealings on the night Cook disappeared. Whatever we find out from him, we can head off in that direction with the game.

Rowan and Prim have gone off to Cook's room to see if they can find any sort of clue.

There is also an Elf, Tavaro, who couldn't sleep during the night and was out wandering about. Maybe he will bring up something he recalls while he was out walking.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Innkeeper. So I suppose you can just jump in as you want once you've read through the posts.

So, who's here: Envinyatar (Hithadan); Arry (Will); Undome (Rowan and Prim, now a sort of NPC); Lilly (Gardenia Boffin, Hugh Mossytoes the postman); Tam Lin (Tavaro the elf); Tiffany Aching (Miribelle Rushybanks); & me (Granny Greenhill). The Shiriff, Rusty Smallburrow, is a character I think Pio said we could all use now as long we make ourselves familiar with his original bio.

And, oh yes, I think Mithalwen has said she and Kath are going to pop back in at some point.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-19-2008, 04:15 AM   #729
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes I will return shortly if I survive tomorrow - Iwas going to post last night but was constantly distracted and tomorrow I am doing a charity sea swim and may well be dead given my inadequate preparation and poor weather and consequent low water temperature... So DVWP you will get our return on Monday.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #730
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks so much for the indepth catching up post, Rose.

No one's playing the questionable Mungo? Who introduced him? Should I pick him up and play him, or is he simply a NPC for everyone who wishes?

With your outline, I'll read quickly through the posts and maybe post this weekend.

I'll be looking forward to your returning, Mith. Hope the swimming goes well. I've swam in cold water before. It can be fun, depending on if you want to prove something, or miserable, if you just want to be comfortable. Good luck.

-- Foley
Old 07-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #731
Noinkling
Wight

Noinkling has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Since my Dwarves have departed the scene, how about I pick up the character of Mungo Brandybuck?

I know that Envinyatar introduced him, primarily as a little short term plot device from what I can see. If it's alright with you Envinyatar, I'll take him on.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #732
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Thumbs up

That sounds fine to me, Noinkling!

Looking forward to your post for him - wondering what sort of clue Mungo might reveal.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #733
Noinkling
Wight

Okay, here is the rather unsavory fellow!

---------------------------

NAME: Mungo "Hitch" Brandybuck

RACE: Hobbit: Fallohide for the most part with a definite strain of Stoor

WEAPONS: 2 knives – a sharp little hunting knife, the other a more slender knife handy for filleting or quickly slitting the throats of hapless chickens, a sling with various sizes of stones in several patches; a small oaken club that hangs from a leather thong at his belt.

APPEARANCE: Short, about 2’ 9”, and very slender – wiry, much like a weasel. Blond hair which always appears rather dirty and greasy, and is usually stuffed under an old dark green checked cap. Dark brown tattered cloak worn over a much unlaundered tunic and breeches. He is a grubby looking fellow, shifty eyed. He has a slight limp in his right leg, the result of an old broken ankle, gotten in a fall from a tree he was trying to hide out in - his noticeable gait has earned him the nickname "Hitch".

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Mungo is the sort of fellow who always looks out for himself first. He figures most others are somehow out to “get” him – cheat him or blame him for something. And to be honest he is often to blame for many of the small burglaries about the area – poaching fish and small game from others’ traps, chicken and egg stealing, the occasional small pig, honey, pies, vegetables, mushrooms, whatever comes to his attention and need. He shares the characteristics common to many Hobbits: long skillful fingers; excellent hearing and sharp eyesight; the ability to disappear swiftly and silently. Mungo is not a neat fellow; he rarely bathes or washes his clothes. Needless to say he is fairly aromatic.

He is not a likeable fellow, but is tolerated because he’s related to the Brandybucks through his father’s side of the family.

HISTORY: His family was respectable enough – owned a small holding and a modest dwelling. His father worked hard with his sheep and pigs; his mother took care of the family and supplemented their wellbeing with her large vegetable garden, her chickens, and her bee hives. He is the middle son of five boys. His brothers have all gone on to be respectable little farmers with nice families. Mungo’s choices took him in the opposite direction. He couldn’t understand why someone would want to work so hard at their livelihood when most of life’s needs were handy for the taking if only one knew where to look. He likes living rough for the most part; holes up where he can for the winter months. Travels a lot; is somewhat fonder of the area around Bree where the Big Folk tend to mind their own business and not dig into his; and where he can take the occasional odd job when he needs to lie low from his “other” means of livelihood.

________

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-19-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #734
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Nice, Noinkling!

I like that he has a nickname.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #735
Noinkling
Wight

Thanks!! I'll try to have a post up for him in a few hours.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #736
Noinkling
Wight

Well there it is. Mungo's given a clue of sorts, thought it's rather vague. And of course it may not even have anything to do with Cela.

So do with it what you will.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #737
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Hmmm . . . so, possibly gone south down the Brandywine, eh?

Let me see if I can work with that somehow - maybe Rowan and Prim can find another further clue in Cook's room.
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 07-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #738
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
I'll be looking forward to your returning, Mith. Hope the swimming goes well. I've swam in cold water before. It can be fun, depending on if you want to prove something, or miserable, if you just want to be comfortable. Good luck.

-- Foley

Well I finished - despite an agonising bout of cramp about a quarter mile or so from home. Fortunately I had drifted back into my depth and was able to flex my foot against the bottom til it eased else I would have had to give in. For once it was useful being tall. All the serious triathlete types wore wetsuits but having been born and raised within sound of the sea and having learnt to swim in it that seems to be cheating to me... but then I remember the summers being warmer when I was a child though that is probably just the effect of age on the memory!

Anyway I shall pick an opportune moment to return - don't want to disrupt the cross examination!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #739
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hey Mith, my PM's are messing up a bit - or, more accurately, my computer is by not letting me delete any of them which means a full account which means I can't PM you back - so can we discuss in here until my dear sweet laptop decides to behave again?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #740
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry Kath, I haven't had much online time this week - basically I intend to get the twins back to the point we got to before we were stymied - ie at the inn and not really talking to each other. I will fudge the time thang and have had them had under such close supervision in the time since their being recaptured (!) that they have had little opportunity or inclination to make peace.

Since you presumably won't be able to post (much?) while you are in furrin parts, I will concentrate on Mithalwen and send the twins off on separate errands which need not be actually played out so we can resume where we left off with them when you get back. Hope that will be ok.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #741
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Hey, we're moving again!!! Hurrah!!!!

So, I see Granny Greenhill has called for a search party. Would you like me to write that one's been gathered up and gone out? I have a selfish reason for this - it will take some time for Will to get the where the postman is and then for them to come back. I was hoping we could move time forward in a bit to say late afternoon. Would that be okay?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #742
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Sounds good to me, Arry.

If you write the gathering of the posse, I can move time along using Rowan and Prim. They've found something, by the way; I was just waiting for the opportune moment to bring it in.

Before time does move ahead - Folwren, do you want to jump in at all? & Mithalwen and Kath - do you want to write something, too?

& yay!!! from me, too - that we're moving once again.
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 07-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #743
Tam Lin
Pile O'Bones

Tam Lin has just left Hobbiton.
I'd like to do one more post for Tavaro while he's sitting with Miribelle.

I'll try to get it done later this evening.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #744
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Lin View Post
I'd like to do one more post for Tavaro while he's sitting with Miribelle.

I'll try to get it done later this evening.

Thanks!

I think I had better reintroduce my lot before more time passes. Off to post now...

Old 07-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #745
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Done.

Mithalwen can be noticed or ignored as suits. She appeared at the Green Dragon ages ago.

Will do a proper bio tomorrow but Mithalwen is tall and silver haired and was born in Lindon around the time the Numenoreans showed up and is the younger sister of the twins father Gilthalion. She dresses usually in grey and blue and lives at still in the old family home in Lindon.

Now v.late and v tired so will tidy for typos etc as necessary tomorrow.

Kath if you are around can you let me know if you are ok with this?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #746
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Kath if you are around can you let me know if you are ok with this?
Looks fine to me Mith! Though, if they are going to answer RPG's Mith's question ... what were the twins fighting about? It was so long ago I've forgotten!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #747
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

LOL ...it was that my Cir had overheard the paternal character assassination and not shared it with his twin.

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...&postcount=436

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-29-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 AM   #748
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Ah! So it was. Poor old Cir (yours), I think they shall have to make up in the wake of Mith's arrival. Cir (mine) won't be able to stay mad at him much longer.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #749
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Ah! So it was. Poor old Cir (yours), I think they shall have to make up in the wake of Mith's arrival. Cir (mine) won't be able to stay mad at him much longer.
Not a happy boy just now.. but I am sure he will perk up

Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #750
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Moving time ahead

Lilly's working on a post for getting Hugh and Will back to the Inn.

So by the time she's posted, it should be late afternoon and by then the search party will be a number of hours down the road/river.

Hope that's alright with everyone!

I left the composition of the search party rather open. I don't know how far anyone wants to pursue that, or . . . ??
Old 08-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #751
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

I've not sent Hithadan off with the search party. He is away from the inn at the moment, but should be back later in this day at the inn.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #752
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Lilly has just left Hobbiton.
OK - Hugh and Will are now on their way back to the inn.

You know, I was going to have Gardenia Boffin just be an NPC, but she's taking shape in my mind, so I think I'll just work up a litt character bio for her.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #753
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Ok, back from holiday. So hi all! Mith, what are we doing? One of the posts said Mithalwen came in alone, so could the twins be having their little reconciliation outside in the meantime? Then we can see the search party off and start tying ourselves in a little perhaps.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #754
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Away for a while...

Well folks, the sisters will be leaving the Inn for a while, because I have to take a temporary leave of absence from the Downs. My schedule is just super busy. I hope to be back soon. Pace et bene!

--The Elfchick
Old 08-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #755
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I'm glad to see the Golden Perch alive and well! There was very little activity during my stay at the Inn (one full RP Day), so I shall have to make a point of paying another visit eventually. I might have to talk to people instead of just killing things.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #756
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elfchick7

Looking forward to seeing the return of the sisters at some time.

'Bye for now!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #757
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Ok, back from holiday. So hi all! Mith, what are we doing? One of the posts said Mithalwen came in alone, so could the twins be having their little reconciliation outside in the meantime? Then we can see the search party off and start tying ourselves in a little perhaps.
To pick up on the pertinent part of our Myface conversation, you can get them back together as you wish - if you want my Cir to make the first move you have my consent though he may need some sign he wont' get his head bitten off.

Just don't leave Mith alone too long And remember that Will is away I think so they will have to sort the pony for themselves but I think Dick was referred to as being in the common room so your Cir's errand will take her inside.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:38 AM   #758
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Kath

Are you going to post soon Duckie? Else I might ... can't leave Mithalwen lurking in the doorway indefinitely - I am sure that even elf bones object to draughts once they are a few thousand years old ...

Old 08-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #759
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

My apologies to old boned Mith, I'm getting a post written now. I will most likely leave it open ended for your Cir to finish off the conversation and get us back to Mith.

EDIT: And it's up and ready for you to continue Mith.

Last edited by Kath; 08-22-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #760
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright! I've read through the whole last page (not caught up entirely on whats' happened since I was gone, but oh well) and I hope to post today. Thanks to everyone who mentioned my character the innkeeper a few times. I wasn't sure how I'd bring him back in, but now I realize I don't have to worry about it too much.

Looks great, and very interesting!

-- Folwren