The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2002, 09:46 AM   #81
dernhelm
Animated Skeleton

dernhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, goodness! I would have so much more money if I had never heard of Lord of the Rings. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I bought as many Tolkien books as I could find including the Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, the first five books of the History of Middle Earth series, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, the Tolkien Reader, and a Tolkien biography. Also, I got the Aragorn, Legolas, and Frodo bookmarks and the FotR calender. Then of course I had to have the regular FotR DVD and the extended version. And do you know how many kid's meals I ate just so I could get some of the LotR toys at Burger King? The biggest investment I made was joining the LotR fan club. I guess I might have gone a little crazy, but it was worth it.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:43 AM   #82
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

man, I feel so bad. All I have is the books which are I think 25year old copies, a copy of the Hobbit and the Silmrillian from around the same time(those were my dad's, but I inherited them),The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings/Return of the King cartoon Cosco movie pack(don't watch it, it butchers the stories), and the BK figuares of Elrond, Sam, and Lurtz. I also bought the Extended Cut DVD, but I don't have a player to watch it in. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2002, 12:32 PM   #83
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Quote:
Rae, I'm sensing something between you and Greycloak ...
Yes, Kalimac, I'm having a cyber-affair!Hey! Why not? Everyone else seems to be having one with the Squatter of Ammon Rhud!

Greycloak doesn't come online with us much, but, Yes, He is my husband. I mentioned it once on "The import of autumn" thread.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:45 PM   #84
Nimrodel
Haunting Spirit

Nimrodel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I read that. Yes! You said it was your 18th anniversary.

So did Greycloak give you some movie memorbelia for your anniversary gift?
Old 12-08-2002, 10:55 PM   #85
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

If I told you what I got for my anniversary, I'd be banned from the site! No, It was NOT LOTR Memorbelia [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 12:01 PM   #86
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Does anyone besides me collect the "Movie Cards"? Not the the trading card game.

I got a really cool one; It is a piece of "movie Memorbelia" It is an actual piece of Pippins cloak mounted on a card.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:17 PM   #87
Aiwen

Sting

I have the Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack, the Games-workshop starter set, the Games-workshop Fellowship of the Ring set, a bunch of other pewter figures, a replica of the One Ring, the Hobbit novel, the Trilogy, and Greg and the Tolkien Years hardcover book....
Old 12-24-2002, 06:42 PM   #88
Nieninque
Haunting Spirit

Nieninque has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It sucks to be broke... so far I have:
-FotR, TTT, & RotK (w/ Tolkien's original artwork on the covers)
-The Hobbit
-Legolas poster
-Legolas/Gimli, Aragorn/Arwen, Gandalf/Frodo, Sam/Theoden and Eowyn/Eomer bookmarks
-official FotR visual companion
-official FotR movie guide
-"Art of FotR" book (it's cool, go get it!)
-FotR Legolas action figure
-Ringwraiths "One Ring" bookmark
-set of five magnets (Frodo, Gimli, Aragorn, Gandalf, & Legolas)
-aaak! How could I forget the FotR soundtrack?! *listens to it all the time*

...and that's more than I remembered buying ^^ Hopefully I'll have more after Christmas!

[ December 24, 2002: Message edited by: Nieninque ]
Nieninque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 12:08 AM   #89
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

OH dear, the disease is spreading. My mom's caught it now, because she got me a lot of LOTR stuff for X-mas!
Including: TTT movie cards (I have the FOTR cards, I love these things!), TTT action figures, some Applause figures (Treebeard, Frodo & Sam), some 12" figures... WOW!!! I have no where to put stuff [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 01:54 AM   #90
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I have a lot of this stuff too, right now I currently have:
A framed final poster from FOTR
A whole bunch of magazines and stuff
The Gandalf bookmark with the ring
The Merry and Pippin bookmark with the charm
The Elven Broach (which I love, and I have gotten many comments about it)
The free TTT bookmarks from the library
A few of the movie cards (I would have more but Target is always out of them)
If anyone knows of a store where they sell the topps movie cards in the South sound Washington State area, please let me know [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
The books, the movie guide, the TTT visual guide
The soundtrack, the DVD's (both of them)
And of course, my pride and joy, my autographed water bottle, from when I met Ian McKellen at the Seattle Aids Walk, he was so cool [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Note: I bought even more stuff!
I got all three posters from TTT
and more movie cards, I just have too much stuff
I am even trying to decorate a room to put it all in
I am trying to figure out a place to put my posters from ROTK when I buy them

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 12-25-2002, 03:09 AM   #91
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Where do you live Gorwingel? I'm in Port Orchard. I've found the cards at wal-Mart and Target.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:08 PM   #92
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

AAAAGGGGHHHH! My mom hates LOTR because she thinks I'm way too obsessed with it and won't let me buy the Evenstar . . . I WANT THE EVENSTAR!! I have her credit card number, and I could just go and place the order, but I have such a bad guilt complex and I think it's practically the same thing as stealing . . . any suggestions?

I got the Extended version of the DVD today! *does happy jig*
Old 02-15-2003, 06:20 PM   #93
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Merri, hit up the grandparents, aunts, uncles, whatever! I would by my niece anything she had the guts to ask me for... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

...or get a rich girlfriend/boyfriend (don't tell anyone I said that)!
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 06:24 PM   #94
thalioniathiel
Animated Skeleton

thalioniathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I used to buy the trading cards but the habit got too expensive to keep up. I would actually like to sell them but am too lazy to do so.
I bought the official movie guide and later had to buy the movie companion when I went to a booksigning; only books purchased at that particular bookstore would be signed. ah well, it is 'my precioussssss', with PJ's, Fran's, Phillipa's, and Sean A's autographs in it. theonering.net crew was there and they handed out free LotR t-shirts, so that more than made up for having to buy a book I wouldn't have originally bought. ;-)

I wanted to buy the Evenstar pendant or the leaf brooch, but both are 'too expensive' and I don't have anything to wear them with, anyway. they would just sit somewhere and I would probably end up treating them like Gollum treated the ring, and that wouldn't be good, would it?
since I don't 'let' myself buy that sort of thing, I don't feel bad about spending money on the dvds and books and soundtracks.

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: thalioniathiel ]
thalioniathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 06:30 PM   #95
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

saldly me and my family are kinda obsessed. we bought almost all of the action figures, all the movie guide kind of books, posters, bookmarks, dvd.we bought the lotr triligy too. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:50 PM   #96
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OOohh . . . I hadn't thought of that! Thanks, Tar-Palantir!!

You know, considering where I go to school there should be lots of rich guys to pick from, but they're just so . . . so . . . dull, and the only one who appreciates the true worth of LOTR is my brother-friend (Our term for best-friend), but I wouldn't think of asking him to buy me something . . . *evil grin*

Yes, I am a girl, and proud of it . . . ROAR!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2003, 08:41 PM   #97
alquadae
Wight

alquadae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings all!
Having been Tolkien affection ado for a few years now, I was surprised that I have never taken an inventory of my treasures! While I did not particularly care for commercial goodies, I have noticed recently that I may have to re-think that position.
Keeping in mind, the best things are usually “stumbled” on, created or produced for another purpose then tweeked to fit.
Here it is!
#1 Bat Fell of Thuringwethil Halloween costume [Articulating wings, glowing eyeballs] very scary! Won a bottle of cheer, big deal, been sober 19 yrs now!
#2 Bought a little pond pump, now I have my own Nimrodel in my back yard.
#3 Made my daughter the Nauglamire

#4 Several Elvish style leaf pin broaches [Just won another on ebay, close to the one Tom found at the Barrow Downs! {,vintage ,leaf pin,ebay]
#5 Three Elvish style dresses.
#6 Two cloaks Hers is a [Nymph] mine is Simplicity#9887
#7 Jewels from the shores of Valinor {suncatchers&prisms}
#8 A gift from Yavanna that came to me in a dream song
#9 Stacks of THE BOOKS in various stages of decomposition
#10 Firedrakes various shapes and sizes.
#11 Seven Palantir
#12 four swords/daggers
#13 Led Zep,Rush,Alvin Lee,Hart,Uriah Heep,Kansas
#14 One poster
#15 One rubber flitter mouse
#16 And of course one of my favorites www.barrow downs.com
Fair winds and following seas
Alquadae
Old 02-21-2003, 03:01 PM   #98
Adastrea
Animated Skeleton

Adastrea has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

An elf cloaked in grey sidles onto the scene with difficulty due to the large sack she is dragging, looks around and grabs the nearest empty chair of the support group. Figits a little then quietly whispers "Oh no, I think I have it bad, any one know the number of a good shopaholic therapist?" then shrinks back into her chair and starts fiddling with her evenstar necklace. Looking around to check no one has interfiered with her sack of LOTR goodies.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:28 PM   #99
Evenstar1069
Pile O'Bones

Evenstar1069 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I burned the FOTR and TTT soundtracks, I have 2 posters (got them for Christmas) the trilogy, the hobbit, the sil, UT, a LOTR monster guide or something like that, and the official movie guide for FOTR. I would get little toy things but I haven't been able to find any except war hammer stuff which would mean I would have to paint them (what a mess that would be) and they cost waaay to much.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:49 AM   #100
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

HEY, this thread is still around!

I'm the guilty party who started it.

OK, I will say this--I am buying fewer things now than I did when the movie first came out, but the things I buy tend to be carefully thought out. For example, I've started trying to get certain editions of the book. I looked very hard and found a first edition, first printing of the British Silmarillion and also a Folio society Hobbit for a reasonable price.

Now, if I only got a small inheritance, I could really get the books I want, since some of those crazy things are so expensive! But I don't think that's gonna' happen!
Old 02-23-2003, 07:26 AM   #101
alquadae
Wight

alquadae has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings!
I just realized that my daughters costume now qualifies as a wardrobe!! OWCH! Spent more Silver Pennys on that than her sailboat! These expenditures are worth it, as they help bring to light lifes positive values. In this day and age I will use any tool I can.

Fair winds and following seas
Alquadae

C7A Just finished reading all the back threads in books. have enjoyed your views! Keep it up!
Old 02-23-2003, 07:33 AM   #102
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Most of the money I've spent on Tolkien collecting has been for books by or about him. However, I did indulge in one rather childish pleasure - in Germany, there are chocolate eggs for children which contain toys. For FotR and TTT, there were LotR figurines in some of them; you never know what you're getting (there are more dumb, worthless toys than handpainted figurines, of course!), so I ended up buying more of those chocolate eggs than I'd like to admit. The worst part of it is, I don't even like that particular brand of chocolate and had to find ways of using it for baking purposes. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, between my own buying, friends alerted to my mania, and collector's stands at flea markets, I now have both series complete and proudly on display. They are tiny - about 2 1/2 inches high, done beautifully, with a wealth of detail in the intricate painting - well worth the trouble, in my opinion. I shall have to take a picture to show them off!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 12:08 PM   #103
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I have a tendancy to prefer things that are not mass-marketed. As many times as I've thought of getting the Elven leaf brooch, I would prefer something that is hand-made by a local artist. Helen and I saw one while she was here, but obviously only one of us could buy it, and since Iwas broke and could always come back and find the guy again another time, I'm now telling a story of NOT BUYING something!

Mark 12:30 I believe I just stole your thunder! You're up!
Old 02-23-2003, 02:29 PM   #104
gilraën
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gilraën has just left Hobbiton.
I at least have the luxury, if anyone would believe me, that is, of having a 5 year old LOTR fan for a son. He thinks I buy the stuff for him.

I have the same old dog eared trilogy and The Hobbit I had for years. More recent purchases include, the Simarrilion, Unfinished Tales and the complete HoME books.
I have started the warhammer series for FOTR AND TTT.

I have a subscription for White Dwarf due to the section on LOTR. I also have a subscription for the new Battle of Middle Earth series.

I have several Toybiz characters and more on preorder.

I possess 2 calendars, one wall and one desk for this year.

I have a large wall map of ME (finished in gold foil).

Photo-books of The creatures of Middle earth, the TTT visual companion book and the making of the trilogy photo book.

The ps2 game TTT. The pc game The LOTR.

The one ring on a chain.

The D'Agnostini FOTR sticker book.

The Electronic Middle Earth sword and am hoping when my dad goes to the states to get the Sting sword.

I'll have to stop soon, or rename the house approriately. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Oh and how could I forget, DVDs of FOTR, (and extended version) and TTT. And OSTs of the movies.

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: gilraën ]
Old 02-26-2003, 02:41 PM   #105
Galengaladh

Sting

i bought the necklace frodo wears on the movcies, books, etc. yet im a novice at lotr stuff since im new at this. im trying [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2003, 05:40 PM   #106
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

Well heres un update on my almost unheathly obsession(if anyone even cares to know.)
It goes like this:

~Books:
Lotr Series (older passed down copies...my precious’), New Lotr Series, The Hobbit x3 ( 1 older version, two newer), The Silmarillion, Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2, Unfinished Tales, The Tolkien Reader and if it counts..Bored of the Rings. Also 2 diff. FotR movie books.
~FotR DVD x2 (Theatrical and Extended)
~FotR and TTT soundtracks
~Posters:
LotR poster thats a drawing, FotR officail movie poster, TTT officail movie poster, Middle Earth map
~Bookmarks:
3(long story...) Frodo bookmarks ,Legolas, Ringwraiths , Gandalf the Grey, Frodo&Sam, Merry&Pippin(my fav) and The One Ring
~Action Figures:
Fotr- Merry, Pippin, Orc, Legolas, Frodo, Sam, Gandalf. TTT- Aragorn, Faramir, Treebeard.
~2003 Tolkien calender(Non-movie) and '03 desk calender.
~LotR t-shirt with the eye of Sauron and ring poem on back (not movie related) and just some FotR and TTT trading cards and even a "Frodo Lives" bumper sticker(lol) and a bunch of Magizines mentioning LotR.

Then I also have a cardboard display that goes ontop of those cardboard bookcases that they have in stores. Also a cardboard stand, the kind that are used to sell the vidoes, with the poster picture on top. And my special FotR cardboard display that about 5' by 28" about 13 inches deep and is a 3D version of the movie poster. All are advertisements not normally for sale, but I asked if I could have them when the store was done with them.. and so after a long wait, I got them. So they're pretty special to me.

(BTW: Just for the record, I'm not just a crazy movie fan, I like the books much more, but I also do really enjoy the movies. Its hard to find anything LotR w/out it relating to the movie....)
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: MYyyPreciousSS ]

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 05:49 PM   #107
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

I have a lot of LOTR stuff (my room is scary [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ), but wouldn't it be so friggin weird if you were walking down the street and saw an action figure of yourself? Especially those really poorly made ones? Sorry, I just had to think of the actors.

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Eressië Ailin ]
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote