The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Paper Telephone.

Okay, this is slightly more unusual than your average Mirth game, but it's worth it.
I discovered this game while on this forum.

I am not sure such an art focused game is a conventional Barrow Downs thread, but when I saw the results, I couldn't hep but think the Downers deserve to share in the experience.

The first player comes up with a sentence and shows it to the second player in private.
The second player draws a picture to illustrate this sentence and shows it to the third player in private.
The third player then writes a sentence to describe this picture and shows it to the fourth player in private.
And so on.

Normally the results are fantastic, but it's slightly more difficult to play on a forum than at a regular party. So here's how it works:

People sign up to play.
I (as the first player) think of a sentence and PM it to the second player.
The second player draws a picture and PMs it back to me.
I PM this picture to the third player, who writes a suitable sentence and PMs it to me. And so on and so forth till the end

This way we have the entire chain at one person's disposal, so that once it's finished it can be posted quickly and easily.

Pictures can be created in any medium - computer-created or scanned. Be creative.

Sign up now. I want at least 10 people so we get 5 pictures. It may take some time, but I think it will be worth it.

Oh, and the first sentence will be Middle Earth related. So worry not.

If you think this thread inappropriate for the Downs, I'll completely understand. But the results of this game literally had me in tears with laughter when I first read it, so I thought some folks here would like it...

Old 09-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sounds fun ... count me in!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
You mean the first sentence in every round, right?

I would suggest that each player in a round should try to keep their contribution at least vaguely Tolkien-related. You never know, that might make it even funnier.

I'm happy to let it pass for now, but let's see how it goes.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'll give it a shot.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
I would suggest that each player in a round should try to keep their contribution at least vaguely Tolkien-related. You never know, that might make it even funnier.
Agreed. So long as this stays Tolkien-related it can continue. If it gets out of control and evolves to something that is 100% non-Tolkien-related, which I can see happening quickly if we're not careful, I will shut it down.

Hookbill I trust that you will help to oversee that it remains as requested.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #6
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
As long as artistic ability is not required, I'd love to take part.

(In other words...will stick figures convey enough of a message? )
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:54 AM   #7
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Hookbill I trust that you will help to oversee that it remains as requested.
I will try my best.
But it will be mostly up to the individual writers and artists to keep it Tolkien, but if I see something going too far, I'll send it back and say "Change it! Ye fool!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1,000 Reader
I'll sign up, but due to a lack of a scanner I'll have to only make up sentences.
Oh, you can use Microsoft paint or something if you wish. Check out the example in the link I provided on the first post.

Players signed up

1) Hookbill
2) Rikae
3) Firefoot
4) Durelin
5) The 1,000 Reader
6) Oddwen
7) Macalaure

8)
9)
10)

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-07-2006 at 03:11 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:40 AM   #8
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

I've just recived your pic and I think it's quite funny. Since you were only a little late, I'm going to go ahead with it. Sorry, Durelin, not just yet!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Is The Ka away or something?

She's yet to reply to any PMs or even send the picture she was supposed to draw...

If there is still no picture I'll have to hand it over to one of the stand by people.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
She told me she was working on it, 2 days ago i think. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Sorry!

I sent it today, around 2 pm (PST). I hope it was okay, and that my email explained everything. Sorry again.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #12
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Ka, your picture was magnificent. Truly.

Rune replied very quickly and now we await Elronds_Daughter to draw a lovely picture.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #13
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

How's the current game going, Holby?

I'm a little concerned that I've not had my go yet.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #14
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I'm terribly sorry for the longer wait, had some technical difficulties that have put us about a week behind, but it is still going on!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Flexibility...

Does the draw-er have to draw (either by hand or with digital tools), or is one allowed to do a collage of sorts?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #16
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by elronds_daughter
Does the draw-er have to draw (either by hand or with digital tools), or is one allowed to do a collage of sorts?
As long as it's a picture of some kind, it's fine.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #17
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Excellent. I have such a grand idea.....time will tell if I'll be able to pull it off.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #18
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

How is it going at the moment? Sorry if I sound impatient.

Also, for the next game, I'd like to do some writing, for I think I've offended the eyes of the Downers for too long so far.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #19
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Damrod has the call. It's so close I can almost taste it <---licking.

BTW, just so everyone knows, Hookbill taught me how to mod this and my explanation sounds like I came up with it all by myself. There, I feel better now, I can sleep at night. He also has been quite helpful with my questions and help downloading pics when my irritating computer isn't co-operating. I thank you, Hook.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #20
Damrod
Animated Skeleton

Damrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Damrod
I just sent in the pic, so i'll hope it works this time. soon we shall see how this all turns out.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #21
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Looking forward...

Several people signed up several weeks ago when this game was scheduled to end. However, just to make sure all of them are still interested, I'd like to ask that you post again. And everyone, when you sign up, please tell if you'd rather write or draw or don't care.

Also keeping in mind just how off schedule this round got, I'd like to propose a round with fewer people... say 10?
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:57 AM   #22
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Several people signed up several weeks ago when this game was scheduled to end. However, just to make sure all of them are still interested, I'd like to ask that you post again. And everyone, when you sign up, please tell if you'd rather write or draw or don't care.

Also keeping in mind just how off schedule this round got, I'd like to propose a round with fewer people... say 10?
Okay, since you asked, I want to confirm the booking of my place rightaway

No, seriously, if there will be a place for me, I'd like to join, but if there'd be any interest from more people who haven't participated yet, I'll gladly let them to take the place.

And if I participate, I'd like to draw, if possible. Although at first I considered myself not capable of drawing anything, I quite enjoyed it in the end. (well, if my picture scares you when the results are published, I might retreat to writing)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #23
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

I began with this lovely sentence:

"The annual Wizard's Olympics got off to a flying start with Gandalf taking Gold in the Hobbit Toss."

To which Preciousss replied with

Which Rikae thought looked like:

Gandalf the Mauve competes in the hobbit-tossing event at the Pastel Wizard Olympics, while extra hobbit parts wait in a nearby sandbox

Lommy put a bit more colour into the equation

Spawn took up the challenge and poetically stated:

In the noble game of hobbit flinging,
Saruman of Many Colours is doing his thing
While the hobbit flies in great turmoil,
his friend is soaking in a pool of oil

The Ka did a little dance to entertain a tortoise, and then she drew this wonder:

Nimrodel_9 took up the pen (read: keyboard) and said:

Saruman of Many Colors decided to take up cooking and since the only people around to cook for were orcs, he had to have special dishes on his menu such as Frodo-and-Samcakes.

Volo needed a pencil… or possibly a pen… anyway… this is what we got…

The Might brought some Downers into the equation

A crazy looking Davem dressed up in wizard robes has a cook book in one hand and with the other he is pointing Saruman's staff at the Saucepanman who suddently seems to have a brilliant idea.
Next to the Saucepanman there's a table with a piece of cheese and Frodo's head on top. Next to two very stylishly dressed up Uruk-hai with forks and Orc swords in their hands are preparing to have dinner.

Legate of Amon Lanc’s paintbrush was filled with gold. So he got a new one and drew this:

To finish off, Lord Melkor said:

A deranged Frodo wearing his favourite 'Çommand and Conquer' shirt receives electroshock therapy from a very hiply dressed Sam, while two young orc cooks, dressed for an afterwork hip-hop and discoparty, prepare Frodo's dinner using Swiss cheese and Lotho Sackville-Baggins' severed head.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #24
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up The funniest one thus far!

!

Now this is just terribly funny! All the drawings and descriptions are just great, that was the best Paper telephone I think! Kudos to Hookbill and all participants!!!

...However, I have to add one thing: my official apology to davem and SpM. I would like to proclaim at this moment that what I did was not done with any malicious intent; and to my defence I would like to say that I had no other choice but to draw what TM posted.* So I sincerely hope that even the Mods understand the situation I am in and I won't get banned.

*However, I have a feeling this might have been intentional provocation meant as revenge on me because of guessing too many TM's riddles.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #25
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Thumbs up

Hahaha! It might be more fun actually to draw then to write! Though I don't think sneaking to the schools only scanner and scanning a drawing like that unnoticed will be so easy next time.

A wonder how the hobbit tossing Gandalf theme could last so long.

Ka, did you read fry instead of fly?

Great work everyone! I'm waiting for the next one with anticipation!
Old 03-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #26
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Ka, did you read fry instead of fly?
Maybe, I don't quite remember.
I do remember I felt like eating a petit-dej. around dejeuner, so 'fly' became similar to the act of making crepes or making the infamous pancake. So, then of course soaking in oil reminded me of fish (I seem to have an obsession with eating fish, something still a mystery to myself), and Sam was drawn as soaking in batter.

Also, Saruman has always struck me as the culinary type, so it just came to my mind, somehow.
I believe too many a late night studying has taken it's affect, don't you say?

The ending this time was bloody awesome :P

I particulary enjoy Preciousss' crowd of little smilies, it is quite adorable.

~ Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 03-31-2007 at 04:52 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:23 PM   #27
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
*wipes tears from eyes, still giggling*
Oh, that was wonderful! I needed a good laugh today,too. Love the "electroshock therapy"! Absolutely priceless, priceless.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:46 AM   #28
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

The Eye

I've just sent a picture to Nimmy again. Let's hope we get a response soon and then Lommy can finish off with a drawing of whatever comes up.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:31 AM   #29
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The Eye I'm afraid it won't be that simple :(

Because I have no net access home I won't be around during the weekend, so the paper telephone won't be ready before Monday however quick Nimmy manages to be. But I guess we're in no hurry...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:59 AM   #30
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
We're nearing the end

I'll draw the pic tomorrow and send it straight away to Hookbill, so we'll have the results here tomorrow I guess. Yay! *is excited*
Old 04-24-2007, 03:29 AM   #31
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up A musical Paper Telephone!

So, I once again began with a sentence. This time, we had this:

“Eomer was getting ready to go on tour with his band, ‘The Morse Boys’ when suddenly, disaster struck!”

So, Volo got the ball rolling…

Lord Melkor was baffled and eventually got this out:

Eomer and Theodred's performance of “We Will Rock You ”while dressed like hippies is brutally interrupted by an Uruk-Hai biker gang led by Ugluk, who seems to have acquired a bad German accent as he shouts his orders to his gang to attack the two musical Rohirrim. As the Uruk-Hai approach the two performers on their horse-drawn motorbikes, Theodred drops his microphone and tries to scream in terror, only to realize that he has lost his voice, while Eomer keeps playing his guitar, totally absorbed in his musical trance.

Oddwen read it carefully and then drew:

Precioussss was baffled. Then wrote this:

Galadriel has grown a beard and is performing at a rock concert. Gollum is not impressed and is assailing the stage.

Legate of Amon Lanc danced to the moon where paper and pencils were in plenty…

The Might had to write… so he did.

A bearded Galadriel plays on stage with the ZZ Top band, and Gollum is a groupie

dancing spawn of ungoliant was up next:

Orominuialwen had a great idea:

Eowyn tries in vain to disguise herself as a member of ZZ Top (who seem to have also recruited Gandalf and Bilbo) while Gollum dances about as the sole member of the mosh pit at their psychedelic-looking concert

Rikae’s drawing skills were put to the test…

Nimrodel_9 had the time… and so this was the result.

Gandalf was very angry when Gollum quit the band

Thinlómien decided that the best thing to do was…

Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 AM   #32
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

That was really funny! Except I think it remained a bit too milar all the time.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #33
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Pipe

Gil has had to pull out of this one. I've had to move things around a bit.

Hookbill - Draw
Noggie - Write
Himself - Draw
Oddie - Write
Oro - Draw
Beregond - Write
Lord - Draw
Miggy - Write
spawn - Draw
Nilp - Write
Ka - Draw
Lommy- Write
Aganzir - Draw
Gil-Galad - Write

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 08-17-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #34
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
sorry for this game, i have to put my self on permanent writing because i have really nothing to draw with and i only drew last game because i was using a friends computer.

so for all you future mods, if you don't want the game to stall up like this, don't put me on drawing! or else you'll ge nothing back...
Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #35
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Hookbill, if you'd prefer ending it with writing, I can do it if it's okay I won't be available before the 12th.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #36
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

*Is dead*... *again*

Eönwë's exercising Wizards were brilliant! (also the mini!Phantom and Alien!)
Formendacil's interpretation caused such madness! That is always good.
Naz's Radagast was FANTASTIC!
Lommy! I have to say Smaug's little hand on the mouse made me laugh an awful lot! As did your Gandalf looking quite upset.
Nogrod, you simply must make that website for real! Bomburiffic!
Sorry, Aganzir, I didn't realise what that stuff was supposed to be... As you can tell. Still, your pictures always amaze me!
Legate, I LOVE your Sauron with his weird tongue thing! Bizarre!
Ka, your picture nearly made me choke on my tic-tacs! Too much Elrond's words just did the trick!
I must say that A Little Green's purple Wizard was something of a surprise!
Oddwen... your Mouth of Sauron... How many cakes did he eat?
Everyone did superb work!

All in all, a fantastic round! I'm all up for another. Anyone want to mod? I'm fine to, but I'd like to leave it open to anyone who wants it!
Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #37
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Why can't I ever draw a picture of Elrond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Sorry, Aganzir, I didn't realise what that stuff was supposed to be... As you can tell. Still, your pictures always amaze me!
Haha well that's the point of Paper Telephone. It was much funnier that way than if Gandalf had been seeking comfort in a pile of stuff.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #38
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Wow, these were just brilliant, wonderful - this must have been the best PT round for some time. Well, no wonder: it's been quite long since the last one

Anyway, wonderful, everyone, and there's just soo much to the pics that I'll have to look at all of them again, and again probably... (and maybe even again). They're all just too comlex! Great works, really. And I like also how nicely the theme switched during the course of the PT.

And I don't really get what's so ugly about my Elrond, nor what made Galadriel Glorfindel
Old 10-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #39
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
That was probably the most hilarious one I've seen! Not that it would have been the maddest or anything but the twists and turns were kind of followable but still insane enough. And especially the pics were just awesome!

The middle-finger of Legate's Sauron still haunts me - and Naz's Jumping Jacks or Lommy's mousepad of Smaug's with the "Welcome to Laketown" advertisment really made me laugh as much as Agan's and The Ka's pictures just made me admire their skills!

And as Agan already said, this round even some texts made me laugh. And that is something...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #40
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
That. Was. Brilliant. Quite possibly the best thing i've seen all day... I can't even think of what i'd pick out right now; it was all awesome. The growing tension between Elrond & Celebrian is the first thing that comes to mind. "OMG this cake is so good!" xD Amd Smaug's "Welcome to Laketown" mousepad...

And i'm glad people liked my Radagast. : D
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote