The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2003, 05:56 AM   #1
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Lady Finduilas

As you all know, I am an avid Denethor admirer, but I also feel a great liking for his late wife, Finduilas of Dol Amroth.
The problem is I don't know that much about her, and I would dearly love to study her life and relationship with her husband. Do you know of any chapters or extracts in any of the books which refers to the lady? Or even any websites that gives information on her?

I once read that there was a link between Denethor's dislike towards Faramir and Finduilas. As though he blamed Faramir for her demise. Is this true? How strong or important was Finduilas's role in the family?

One last thing: there was a previous Finduilas. Can anyone tell me anything about her? Or where I can look for information?
Old 07-19-2003, 06:23 AM   #2
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, I just had a look in the Encyclopedia of Arda but it says very little about her. But I'm pretty sure that there is some information about her in the appendices at the back of the Return of the King. I was reading them the other day. Not very much, but a little. If you haven't read it, take a look. It's in the part where it talks about the Stewards of Gondor.
And yes, there was another Finduilas. 'The doomed daughter of Orodreth', so the encyclopedia calls her. 'The daughter of Orodreth, who dwelt with him in Nargothrond. After the Sack of Nargothrond, she was carried away by Orcs and slain by them on the borders of Brethil'.
Well, I hope that was a little helpful!
Old 07-19-2003, 08:35 AM   #3
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I found the following information about Finduilas on the councilofelrond.com

Quote:
Finduilas
Race: Men
Type:Gondorian
Place: Gondor
Time Period: Third Age

Finduilas, daughter of Adrahil, 21st prince of Dol Amroth, was born in 2950 of the Third Age. She had one brother, Imrahil who was the 22nd prince of Dol Amroth during the War of the Ring. She is a direct descendant of the first Lord of Dol Amroth, Galador, son of Imrazor the Numenorean and Mithrellas, a Silvan elf who was a companion of Nimrodel.

In 2976, at the age of 26, she was wed to Denethor II of Gondor, son of Ecthelion, who was her senior by 20 years. Where Finduilas was a beauty possessed of a gentle heart, Denethor was a masterful man both strong willed and stern.

In 2978, she gave birth to her first son, Boromir. Her second son, Faramir, was born 5 years later in 2983. When her father-in-law, Ecthelion died in 2984, her husband became the 26th ruling Steward of Gondor.

Already missing her old home by the sea and living so near the Shadow of the East in Minas Tirith, Finduilas began to wither and waste away. When Denethor dared to start using the Stone of Anor, one of the seven palantiri, and bend it to his will, the mental strain began to age him. His sternness began to give way to grimness. This in turn was felt by Finduilas and only added to her unhappiness, which hastened her death.

In 2988, after 12 years of marriage, Finduilas died at the age of 38.She left behind her husband Denethor (age 58) and her two sons, Boromir (age 10) and Faramir (age 5).
Old 07-19-2003, 09:47 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Thanks so much, that is very useful! The councilofelrond.com information is particularly good.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:59 PM   #5
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

Here's a little info about the first Finduilas.
She was the daughter of Orodreth, and was therefore a princess of Nargothrond. She first loves an Elf named Gwindor, but he got himself captured by morgoth and disappeared for several years. He came back, with Turin, and Finduilas "heart turned against her will" and she began to love Turin. Then, orcs took over Nargothrond, captured Finduilas, and pinned her to a tree with a spear. She was buried in the Haudh en Elleth, the mound of the Elf maid. She was also called Faelivrin.

I'm typing this under the influence of way too much coffee, late at night, so theres probably many misspellings. Have fun trying to figure out whatever i just wrote
Old 07-23-2003, 05:49 PM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Um, Star, I think she was talking about the other Finduilas, not the Elf. Perhaps Faramir's birth weakened her so much that she died a lot faster. Perhaps that was why Denethor didn't really like Faramir. Of course, there's also the fact that Faramir inherited the "blood of Numenor" and not Boromir, who was Denethor's favorite, since he wasn't a "disciple of the Grey Pilgrim."
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 11:09 PM   #7
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Noldorin King has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The wife of Denethor was a Dunedain princess of Dol-Amroth, the daughter of Adrahil of the people of Nimrodel, 'She was a woman of great beauty and gentle heart,' according to the appendices. She died 12 years after her marriage to the steward of Gondor because her heart wearied of the thick walls of Minas Tirith and she longed for the sea. The previous Finduilas was a Noldorin princess of Nargothrond. His father was Orodreth Finarfin's second son. She had golden hair and bright radiance like all of Finarfin's line and a wondrous beauty. She first loved Gwindor and when Turin was admitted to Nargothrond her love was turned from Gwindor to Turin, a mortal man.She died at the sack of Nargothrond when Orcs carried her and pinned her to a tree.
Noldorin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 02:34 AM   #8
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

The information is great, and thank you very much for your help, but does anyone know of any essays or discussions that study Denethor and Finduilas's relationship in relative depth? Or their relationships with their children, especially in Denethor's case.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:25 AM   #9
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

I'm pretty sure this is not what you're looking for, but anyways, I'll give a link to a great fan fic site. Most of the stories there are very insightful and in character, and they're all based on cannon.
Go to this address: henneth annun and select a character, Finduilas for instance. While you're there, Meela, you might want to check out the challenges, particularly the Denethor poetry writing one! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2003, 07:13 AM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Or their relationships with their children, especially in Denethor's case.
Have you read Unfinished Tales, Meela? There are some nice passages on Denethor and his relationships with his children in the chapter on the Palantiri.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:56 AM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I'm still trekking through the Silmarillion, but my eye is fixed on UT. I was unsure of the content, but now I know Denethor's in there, I'll get straight onto it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Much thanks!
Old 10-04-2003, 02:22 PM   #12
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orodreth was the original version of me. Then Tolkien made me Arothir, son of Angrod and nephew of Finrod. I still became the second king of Nargothrond. And my daughter was Finduilas. Information about her love for Turin can be found in the Appendix to the Narn, which has fragments for the larger Turin-Gwindor-Finduilas triangle!
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote