The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2003, 04:44 PM   #1
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Valar's Appearance

I read in the Silmarillion (and correct me if I am wrong) that the Valar can choose to take the forms of people and walk among them or something to do with taking human shape?
I was wondering if we knew what they actually looked like at other times, or if human form was how they normally appeared.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Valar do not have a fixed incarnate form. They can travel in forms invisible to mortal eye; as 'spirits' or 'phantoms'. They can usually dress themselves up as whatever they want, often reflecting their mood or temper in their raiment (i.e. black or red when angry, radiant and beautiful when happy, etc.) In mortal lands they most often go clad as Children of Iluvatar, but this is not their 'true'form nor their set appearance.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:34 PM   #3
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Very true. They are the Gods. How can we, mortals place limits on what they can appear as? The Elven form was most fair, and to appear in this form to the Elves would help to make them more comfortable.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:42 PM   #4
Ghostblade
Pile O'Bones

Ghostblade has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I totally disagree with Novberaid. The may have been Gods, but they can only have one form. At least that is my opion.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:05 AM   #5
Lord Melkor
Haunting Spirit

Lord Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, Melkor had at least 3 different forms before he lost the ability to change shape.

1. Dark Lord of Utumno

2. The fair form he had in Aman

3. A dark cloud

So it's obvious that the Valar had the ability to take on more than one form [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
'I am the Elder king: Melkor, first and mightiest of all the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will.'
Lord Melkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:16 AM   #6
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Right, Lord Melkor. The Valar had the ability to take more than one shape. It was clearly mentioned in the Sil.

Now, going back to Meela's question... I think the form they are in depends on where they are, or their purpose. Maybe in Valinor they are in the form of spirits, or maybe the form of the Children of Iluvatar. I am not really sure.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 09:43 AM   #7
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I totally disagree with Novberaid. The may have been Gods, but they can only have one form. At least that is my opion.
Well, your opinion is wrong. The Valar did not have one true form, unless you call their spirit a 'form', which would be inaccurate. If you are talking about physical forms, then you are mistaken, for they can take on any carnate form they wish. The only exception to this was Melkor, and this was only because he poured so much of his strength into Arda that he was in a 'fallen' state, and was not counted amongst the Ainur anymore.

The Valar's one true form is not physical at all but spiritual, and it can be manifest in any different physical form that they see fit to wear.