The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #1601
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
How did you find out about that? I thought it was a big secret???
I have sources deep in the heart of government. Also, I used Alien's Time-travel hat.

I've been thinking about something. You Phantom and Alien fans may be interested. As My brother and I have been making volume three (he's doing the pictures because I physically can't do the stuff I'd need to in order to tell the story well), I've decided to do a prologue. It will start with my artwork and slowly fade into the new style.

Now, for this prologue we'll have Death getting drunk in Burnt Burt's Bar. He will be talking to someone. Who should it be? I think some sort of contest is in order, don't you?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #1602
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Now, for this prologue we'll have Death getting drunk in Burnt Burt's Bar. He will be talking to someone. Who should it be? I think some sort of contest is in order, don't you?
You're going to come to our house and murder one of us, aren't you?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #1603
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
Oh, that sounds lovely. I'd most definitely be willing to fight to have a beautiful blue butterfly-girl included in P&A.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #1604
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Here's the latest Phantom and Alien. It's one of my favourites.

Look! The rest of the STORY!

Well, I hope you're enjoying it.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #1605
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I loved it when Phantom shoved that newspaper into the news-blokes mouth.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:29 AM   #1606
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Friday's Phantom and Alien here for your inspection! Just 21 episodes to go!

Read the rest of the story and it might make a bit more sense...

In just a few episodes we'll start to see a bit more of The Fish Man's plans. Let me tell you, they're very, very silly. And be sure to pay close attention because from now on there are going to be little hints about things that will pop up in volumes 3 and 4.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #1607
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
In just a few episodes we'll start to see a bit more of The Fish Man's plans. Let me tell you, they're very, very silly. And be sure to pay close attention because from now on there are going to be little hints about things that will pop up in volumes 3 and 4.
Great!

And I like the story. Just hoping to see Alien doing something cute again soon
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #1608
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Okay, I've been trying to draw some people for the prologue. I did try several Downers, but these three were the best ones I could make. So, it's now up to you to decide who it should be.

You cannot vote for yourself.

Keep voting until April, then I'll see who's most popular / appropriate.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 03-20-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #1609
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hahaha. Wonderful.

++Legate

That picture captures him rather well. Squatter, on the other hand, looks too kind. Also, I think Greenie should be a cute little frog instead of a penguin.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #1610
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Also, I think Greenie should be a cute little frog instead of a penguin.
Although she looks quite good And she actually looks a lot like herself

But oh my, I like myself too, mainly, I have priceless expression
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #1611
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
She is supposed to be Lommy's sister.
Besides, I was planning on using Greenie at some point in volume 5, the fact that she and Lommy are related is sort of important. Alien gets them mixed up all the time.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #1612
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
She is supposed to be Lommy's sister.
Besides, I was planning on using Greenie at some point in volume 5, the fact that she and Lommy are related is sort of important. Alien gets them mixed up all the time.
Aye aye sir!

...but an itty-bitty Greenie-frog would be so cuuuuute!
Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #1613
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Oh but both the Greenie and the Legate are incredibly cute.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #1614
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I like Legate! Greenie is nice too, though.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #1615
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I think I will use all the characters. I'm pretty certain I'm going to have Squatter in a drinking contest with Death at some point.

Anyway, for now...
Thanks to Oddwen for the second story. It's GRAND!

The Phantom is back on the Downs, but someone is in the Great Barrow...

Comic Archive

Keep your eyes open in the coming weeks. Who knows what might happen?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #1616
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
This is hilarious. Wonderful job with the drawings!

++ Legate

His expression doesn't fit the way I imagined him (where are the pointy ears?), but it will have to do. I almost voted for Squatter with his cut googly eyes.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #1617
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
His expression doesn't fit the way I imagined him (where are the pointy ears?), but it will have to do.
Groin, elves do not have pointy ears! *raises a sword*
Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #1618
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
I'm afraid the Downs has room for only one frog position and that was taken early on by Rimbaud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard
His expression doesn't fit the way I imagined him (where are the pointy ears?), but it will have to do.
One can have only one set of pointy appendage. Look at his nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooky
I'm pretty certain I'm going to have Squatter in a drinking contest with Death at some point.
That might be the death of Death.

It's difficult to choose between two such gracious gentlemen--six of one, half a dozen of the other--but it's even more difficult to resist a cute lil penguin.

+ + Greenie
Old 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #1619
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

White-Hand

Is that a technical term, Jiggery-pokery?

So, what kind of sandwiches were those? Gravel-mustard-bread sandwiches?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #1620
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
So, what kind of sandwiches were those? Gravel-mustard-bread sandwiches?
Oh, use your imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
That might be the death of Death.
We shall see. I've not decided how the contest will end yet. Or what they'll be drinking. Probably mead in insane quantities.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #1621
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
We shall see. I've not decided how the contest will end yet. Or what they'll be drinking. Probably mead in insane quantities.
Oh noes! Mead! That's more deadly, a hundred times more deadly, than port. If only I had taught the lad the Cardinal Puff drinking game when we met briefly.

Of course, I have to suspect that 'splody beans come into any drinking game.

And, and, I want to know if Legate walked on any of that pudding from the contest, in a serious effort to improve upon Legolas' pudding walk that Lalwende investigated.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #1622
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

The mystery deepens, the pudding thickens and The Phantom is taken to a secret shed. What more could you want from a silly comic strip adventure? Shoes? Well, I can't help you there, I'm afraid.

Read the rest of the story and it may start to make sense.... Possibly.

We're getting ever closer to the end, people! Who knows what will be the epic climax? Well, I do. But never mind that...

Just so you know, we've only got the first 25 episodes of volume 3 done at the moment. The plan is all written out, but the individual strips are taking longer to draw than these ones did. The art is much better and the story much more complex and slightly funnier; there's stuff my brother puts in the background that is highly amusing.
Anyway, as a result of this, for the first few episodes I may go back t the once-a-week format until we think we're nice and far ahead to go back to two and maybe three. We shall see. Still, I hope you'll think them worth the wait.

So, as a little teaser, here's some information about volume three;

- We'll see some more of Death
- Alien teams up with Formy
- JOHN FILLIS
- The Phantom's glowy eyes are explored.
- JOHN FILLIS
- Alien wears a cute little bow tie!
- Alien's mother makes a plot-relevant appearance.
- JOHN FILLIS
- The Phantom gets drunk.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:15 AM   #1623
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Can I still vote? I vote for Legate.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #1624
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Can I still vote? I vote for Legate.
Certainly.

The current standing;

Legate = 4 votes
Squatter = 0 votes (Although, as a consolation prize / punishment, I think he's going to team up with Alien for a large portion of Volume 4)
Greenie = 2 votes

All of them will be used at some point, I assure you. I think Greenie will be involved in Alien's acquisition of the Time Hat (which probably won't happen until late in volume 5 )
Old 03-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #1625
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
How scandalous!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #1626
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Just so you know, we've only got the first 25 episodes of volume 3 done at the moment. The plan is all written out, but the individual strips are taking longer to draw than these ones did. The art is much better and the story much more complex and slightly funnier; there's stuff my brother puts in the background that is highly amusing.
Anyway, as a result of this, for the first few episodes I may go back t the once-a-week format until we think we're nice and far ahead to go back to two and maybe three. We shall see. Still, I hope you'll think them worth the wait.
Great, says I

Quote:
So, as a little teaser, here's some information about volume three;

- We'll see some more of Death
- Alien teams up with Formy
- JOHN FILLIS
- The Phantom's glowy eyes are explored.
- JOHN FILLIS
- Alien wears a cute little bow tie!
- JOHN FILLIS
- The Phantom gets drunk.
Great, says I!!!

Quote:
All of them will be used at some point, I assure you. I think Greenie will be involved in Alien's acquisition of the Time Hat (which probably won't happen until late in volume 5)
Great, says I...

By the way, can we also look forward to some Fungoltch and Shcmurt? I like them
Old 03-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #1627
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
By the way, can we also look forward to some Fungoltch and Shcmurt? I like them
Yes... No... Sort of... It's complicated.

So, seeing as it's technically Firday, here's your latest Phantom and Alien...

Keep track of this very silly story.

The story will soon be getting much, much weirder. Sorry.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #1628
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Saying this makes me feel rather upside-down, but the final frame of Alien is adorable--and Lal's expression is awesome in that panel too.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #1629
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

The news is dramatic, enigmatic and automatic...?
Well, whatever it is, it is here;

Mister Underhill explains some Fish Man history to our beloved hero. There are cakes involved.

Comic Archive

I'm going to start planning the special challenge episode in the next week, so if you want to draw a P&A, just let me know and I'll draw up a list of artists.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #1630
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If that headline is a welcome to the Barrowdowns, than I must detest to be placed in a magazine of ill-repute such as The Downer.

I do love the name play, I actually have to renew myself every 5 years or something terrible will happen.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #1631
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Being included in the 'Downer is kind of like hazing or at least an initiation.

Or Hookbill's running out of ideas.

Yeah, it's probably the latter.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #1632
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemosyne View Post

I've been found out!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #1633
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Being in the Downer is a great honour! Even if Hookbill is running out of ideas.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #1634
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Being in the Downer is a great honour! Even if Hookbill is running out of ideas.
*whips out best Frodo voice*

If that is your idea of honour, then I pity you.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #1635
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I did have plans for an April fool's P&A, but I forgot to make it. Sorry. It was going to have Fungoltch and Schmurt alongside John Fillis.

Anyway, here's your Phantom and Alien for this Wednesday...

Keep up with THE STORY!

Do you remember where The Black Room went?

I think for volume 3 I'm going to revamp the website a bit. I may even get around to making 'phantomandalien.com' or something. We shall see. What would you like to see?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #1636
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I did have plans for an April fool's P&A, but I forgot to make it. Sorry. It was going to have Fungoltch and Schmurt alongside John Fillis.
Oh, what a pity, what a pity... But you can still make one for us later as a compensation

Quote:
I think for volume 3 I'm going to revamp the website a bit. I may even get around to making 'phantomandalien.com' or something. We shall see. What would you like to see?
Cool! We don't care. Alien-is-cool!

(And I like his new outfit. It's obvious that the fish man does not look as cool as him.)
Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #1637
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
*whips out best Frodo voice*

If that is your idea of honour, then I pity you.
No, it's really not. I like being in the Downer, but it does not change how "honourable" I am.
Sorry for making you so very unimpressed.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #1638
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:

Either or, it's an honour to be dishonoured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Cool! We don't care. Alien-is-cool!
2nd'ed
Old 04-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #1639
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Phalian time!

Keep track of this silly little story; HERE! Woo!

If you can remember why the floor is wet, then I'll be very impressed.

Right, the votes are in and it seems quite clear that Legate will be the one to appear in the prologue to volume 3. I'll get started on that soon. Just so you know, the break between series will be a few weeks long, and I'm going back to the once a week update for a while. But here's what's coming up;

8 th May - The last episode of volume 2!!
11th May - A special three-part Phanston and Ailsbry
1 st June - Special comics drawn up by other Downers.
22nd June - Volume 3 prologue
29th June - Volume 3 episode one!

So, as of now, I am officially opening up the place to artists who want to draw P&A comics. I've left a three week gap for you, so that's a maximum of nine people, but I can work with less. So, sign up now! The earlier you say yes, the more time you have to draw.
Good luck to you all...

Oh, and by the way, on 25th May it will be the 150th edition of The Downer, after which I will be putting it on hiatus for a while. I may, but it is by no means certain, start it up again to coninside with the beginning of volume 3. So, look out for that. Moreover, I'm hoping to rejig it a bit and will be wanting more stories send in from you Downers.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #1640
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Double post fun.
You see, this is why I'm thinking of taking a break. Sometimes it feels like no one is reading this.

Anyway...

Here's one of my favorite episodes from this volume. Hope you like it!

Keep up with The Comic Archive

More revelations will come through the weeks, folks.