Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2003, 08:12 PM   #721
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

"Thank-you Miss" replied Robin kindly to Nuru. At that moment, she watched her rush back to settle a disagreement with two guests.

She now turned to Pipperin, "No, I am quite a long ways from my home in Hobbiton". She spotted a vacant chair and sat down "And you?" she asked gesturing for her to join her.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]
Old 01-09-2003, 08:20 PM   #722
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

As Erulon was swept to a table with his dwarf friend, Laurie intercepted the young boy passing by.

"Excuse me, young man," she said, her brows knitted in concern. "I think that wound needs looking after."

The boy, at first suprised, readily assented so they went back into the kitchen together. Laurie was not very good at healing, but she did her best and tried not to hurt the child. The cut wasn't as deep as she first thought, and she added a drop of liquid from a round green bottle dug out of her pocket.

"Now then," she said with a smile as she put a small, white bandage over the gash. "That looks much tidier. Is there anything else I can get you? Food or drink perhaps?"
Old 01-09-2003, 08:32 PM   #723
Carrūn
Wight

Carrūn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Awyrgan noted with some satisfaction that the boy was finally getting his cut attended to. Now as long as he doesn't blab, he thought as he drifted back into a semi-sleep.

Quote:
"That looks much tidier. Is there anything else I can get you? Food or drink perhaps?"
The boy fingered the bandage a bit, almost as if he was picking at a scab. He grinned. "You're nicer than my friend. Prettier too; he's ugly."

"I'd like a drink." He grinned again and his green eyes shone with childish pride. "I've had one already." He sat swinging his feet against the counter where he sat. "Do you have apples?" he asked.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Carrūn ]
Old 01-09-2003, 09:44 PM   #724
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

Quote:
"You're nicer than my friend. Prettier too; he's ugly."
Laurie grinned back at the boy and talked while she fixed his drink.

"Your friend is that mysterious man over there? I noticed him when he came inside; it always makes me sad to see anyone with a heart so heavy. Maybe you can cheer him up. Oh, and don't pull at that bandage!" She smacked his hand away lightly and handed him a rather large tankard and a few shiny apples.

"What's your name, young lad?" Laurie inquired curiously. She poured herself a drink and sat down beside him.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:57 PM   #725
Carrūn
Wight

Sting

Quote:
"Your friend is that mysterious man over there?"
The boy glanced over to where Awyrgan sat brooding the fire. "Yup."

"Cheer him up?" He gave a rather non-childlike snort. "I doubt it, he'd probably kill me if I tried. He's good at that sort of thing." He took a large noisy bite from one of the apples.

Quote:
"What's your name, young lad?"
"Oh I don't really have a name," he said in a matter of fact way. "Encai...Awyrgan said I could call myself Nįrello. He calls me little ślfr." He sat for a while taking large sips from the tankard watching Awyrgan across the room as if looking for a silent nod of approval. But the man's hood was tilted forward and he slept. Nįrello grinned again. "Look at him, you'd think he was asleep." He looked at the lady in a mock serious fashion. "You think if I throw something at him he'd catch it? He caught me taking one of his kni..things when I thought he was sleeping." He grinned cheekily.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Carrūn ]
Old 01-09-2003, 11:58 PM   #726
Strider

Eye

SAVED for re-worked post

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Old 01-10-2003, 02:52 AM   #727
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Umbria the elven stood at the bar and drank 3 straight galsses of spirits."why am i cursed wiht death of thoes around me?, first Augenden, then Phellodan, and now Niquinion!."

She then took a forth galss of spirits and began to walk back to sit by Awrygan. She looked over to the dwarves and frowned.

She stood in the middle of the floor and dropped her galss. Splatters of colour smeared the bottom of her light blue dress missing her cloak. She took some water off one of the tables and then washed it off.

Umbria then noticed the cloaked stranger, "strider" she said. "its about time, tell me, for you are a ranger are you not?" She stood on a chair and yelled in a mix of grief and anger "and all you other rangers here or otherwise! where were you when orcs attacked and hath slain my kinsman?! are you not sent here to keep the roads free of them?!" Umbria swayed and then fell to the floor.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-10-2003, 08:20 AM   #728
Carrūn
Wight

Sting

Awyrgan awoke with a start to shouts of grief and anger. He recognized Umbria's voice.

Quote:
"Where were you when orcs attacked and hath slain my kinsman?! Are you not sent here to keep the roads free of them?!"
He watched as she fell to the floor. Time seemed to stand still and no one moved. Aye, where were they. And where was I when orcs and the wild men attacked my villege. Why was I alone left alive only to return and discover the ashes. Too few are left to deal to so much evil. All the memories he had pushed away deep inside came flooding back out and he was wracked with sorrow. He face twisted with pain.

He stood gradually, like a dark omnious shadow. Slowly he walked to where Umbria lay and people parted in front of him. He picked her up gently and carried her back to a seat in the corner away from the eyes of the onlookers. One man followed too closely and Awyrgan fixed him with a whithering green-eyed stare that sent him stumbling backwards. Then he waited for her to awaken.

She stirred and looked about her. Awyrgan paused as he gathered his words and then he spoke. He seemed to have aged years and his shoulders were slumped again. The haunted look was back in his bright eyes. "I do not pretend to know your grief - all are different. But I know how it is to loose your kin. Do not lay this blame on those who already struggle with such matters; please." He waited for her reaction and, getting none, spoke again. "I am sorry for your loss. And to answer your question, I am not a Ranger but I have had dealing with their kind. Nearly all of them carry some sorrow such as you must bear." He sat back in his own chair and waited for her to speak.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Carrūn ]
Old 01-10-2003, 08:54 AM   #729
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

Quote:
"I doubt it, he'd probably kill me if I tried. He's good at that sort of thing."
Laurie raised her eyebrows slightly at the young boy's comment and nonchalant attitude. I wonder if he's joking...she thought. A glance into the corner at the man the boy called Awyrgan made her decide he most likely wasn't. There was a barely perceptible tenseness in his attitude; Laurie fancied he seemed like he was watching them though his eyes were closed.

Quote:
"Oh I don't really have a name," he said in a matter of fact way. "Enc...Awyrgan said I could call myself Nįrello. He calls me little ślfr."
The lady in white opened her eyes wide again and was barely able to catch herself from speaking out of suprise. "Nįrello is a nice name," she said instead with a smile.

Quote:
"Look at him, you'd think he was asleep." He looked at the lady in a mock serious fashion. "You think if I throw something at him he'd catch it? He caught me taking one of his kni..things when I thought he was sleeping." He grinned cheekily.
Laurie grinned at Nįrello's impudence, but cautioned, "I wouldn't throw that if I were you. Besides, he looks tired; he could do with a rest." But just as those words left her mouth, another young lady stood up on a chair and began shouting at Awyrgan. She swayed from side to side, drunk from too much wine and with grief. Laurie watched Awyrgan scoop her up and carry her easily to where he again sat, and begin to talk to her in a low voice. What a very odd man,she mused. Still, I hazard it wouldn't be too wise to pry into his business, as intruiging as it is. Laurie had not forgotten the incident in the loft. She turned again to the child sitting beside her.

"Where is your home, Nįrello? Do you come from around these parts?"
Old 01-10-2003, 09:10 AM   #730
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

(Bali's story, as told by Bali to Eruantalon, and anyone else listening)

"I'll have you know, my friend, that few dwarves ever venture through Mirkwood. It is a dangerous forest, with only one true road leading through it. If you stray off the path but a little, you will never find it again.

I was lucky, however, in the fact that I was a friend of King Thranduil, and the Wood elves living there. Look at this knife, here."

Bali pulled a long, thin and slightly curved knife out of a hidden sheath. "Few dwarves have ever seen the beauty of an elven dagger. This was a gift to me, from the King when I left Mirkwood. I was given safe passage, through those dark woods. But
that means little, as the tale has no adventure or excitement in it, and thus makes no kind of story. But after I left the edges of Mirkwood, I traveled alone, passing over hill and dale, through many
strange places.

Finally, however, I arrived at the roots of the Misty Mountains. It was my goal to pass to the other side, somehow. But there was no known way. I could not pass over them, alone and with the gear I had brought.

And so I resolved to pass through the Mines of Moria. I had heard rumors of what it was like, but had never been there before. And had never heard of the evil that awaited me.

As I past through the eastern gate, and descended the first level of steps, what awaited me there but a small group of orcs. They being as surprised as me, but I recovering from it quicker, the fight was brief. But as I continued down several more rows of steps, my heart slumping lower with each, I found what could not be imagined.

The bridge, the Bridge of Khazad-Dum, which I had longed to see since I had heard stories of it as a child, was in ruin. The eastern half jutted out part-way over the chasm, but the western half was gone!

Futher more, as I cried out in horror, a multitude of orcs appeared uppon the western side, and launched a volley of what I presumed were poisened shafts (they usually are). I am not proud of the fact,
but seeing as they were too far away to hit with an axe, I fled from the mines.

I still wished to go across the mountains, but it seemed all passes through it which I knew were blocked. Thus, I decided that if nothing else, I would go south, and see what lands lay near the sea.

As I went south, following the eastern side of the mountains, I eventually came to a great forest. Having only ever seen it on maps, I came to believe it to be Lorien. Not knowing that most of its people had left for the grey havens, I was "uncomfortable" with passing through it, and thus went around the eastern side.

When I got back to the mountains, I found that not many days after I had passed around Lorien, I had arrived at yet another large forest. Fangorn. Not only uncomfortable but more so terrified of that
forest, I once again went around it.

As I finally found the mountains beyond it, I came to a lake, which was surrounded by an emmense ring of broken stone. In the center of that lake, was a huge tower. It seemed as high as the very peak of the largest mountain in the earth. Black it was, like its name: Orthanc, on time home of the wizard Saruman. It is now controlled
by men of the king, clearing the stone and building a causeway over the lake to the tower. Having no reason to stop there, I continued past it, coming at last to a break in the mountains. I have been told it was called the Gap of Rohan.

From there I traveled north, at last finding the Old South Road. Following it It lead to me at last to a split. One side went Northeast, the other side went Northwest. I took the west path, not
wanting to go back to the mountains. And one fine day following that road, I came to this happy land called the Shire, and found my way along the dusty road to this very inn where we now sit."

Bali proceeded to cough loudly several times, then looked around him. "Is there a place I could get another ale, my friend. My throught is absolutely parched."
Old 01-10-2003, 09:25 AM   #731
Carrūn
Wight

Sting

Quote:
"Where is your home, Nįrello? Do you come from around these parts?"
The boy shook his head. "No. My home was up North. Was." he added softly and for a moment he looked very much like the small boy that he was. "Awyrgan found me," he continued. "And now I follow him." His grin returned. "Even when he doesn't want me to. When I see him I tell him things I see and then he teaches me things. About the trees and such." He smiled. "Most people don't think a child a threat to their conversations. Many have learned otherwise."

He looked up at her again with pride in his eyes. "I have quick eyes and ears and can move without being seen. I can survive on my own." She started to say something but he continued. "But it is lonely sometimes though, and animals seldom talk. Neither does Awyrgan when I see him. He moves like a shadow." He laughed. "I thought he was a ghost the first time I saw him, like the tales my mother told me to make me go to bed." Realizing how he had just spoken his voice trailed off and he quickly began to pay attention to the apples and the drink in ernest.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Carrūn ]
Old 01-10-2003, 10:45 AM   #732
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

For quite some time Sarah had been sleeping in her little table in a corner of the common room of the Green Dragon. Her dreaming was disturbed by a bump of someone who was delivering ales to her neighboring 'inn mates'.

Mug still in hand, she couldn't remember her pleasant dreams now, "Thanks for that nasty bump" she thought. Though her sight was still blurry from her long nap Sarah noticed through the voices around her that new people had entered the inn and others were still there ever since she set foot in the common room.
"I wonder if there are still people who wash a ton of dishes because of their one-liners?" she wondered. Feeling a cramp in her legs she stretched and yawned (with out letting anybody see her) and combed her hair. Then she went to the bar to catch some conversation and ordered a cup of tea.
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Old 01-10-2003, 10:55 AM   #733
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The songs had once more stopped. Everyone had disappeared to a table and Elwen was left standing in the middle of the room. She nervously played with her flute, running her fingers over the shining metal. Elwen glanced around the pub, but she saw no one she knew well enough to invade their conversation and so settled for a stool at the bar.

Oh how Elwen wished she had left her bow outside with Rochel. It was too obvious in the crowded pub. And yet she didn't for though she had owned it but a few days, she was deeply attached to it, it being the only reminder of her master except of course the simple silver ring upon the finger of her left hand. Elwen had hoped to find that Soronume had returned but she could tell that he had not been back since she had left before.

Elwen let her mind wander back and forth. The new stranger confused her. He had a compelling voice and an instrument like none she had ever seen upon Arda. There had been a similar shaped instrument when she had been in the sky, but that was long ago and the memories dim. How did he know of her name though? Arelendil, few had ever called her that! Her master long ago had named her Elwen, signifing that she was a star maiden. Only Nostawen had ever called her Arelendil, Noble star friend. She had always given her name to be Elwen whenever she met anyone! So how did he know?

Elwen gave up on the mystery and left her mind to wander freely through space and time. It surprised her greatly when she found she was talking aloud.

"Why did I let him go ahead." Elwen spoke in a sorrowful whisper. Though she knew the answer, it conforted her to think of it again. For from the sadness and grief of the parting there came new hope, great beyond measure. How clearly she could see him, standing upon the shore, his eyes burning green, his hair of silver whipping around him in the cool sea air. Elwen knew that this was more than her imagination, she knew that he really was waiting for her, standing on the last shore. Torn between waiting for her and the voices that called across the sundering sea.

She knew he would wait. The bonds that had pulled her from the night sky were unbreakable and the teachings of his people also held him. Silver rings bound them together. Elwen moved her hand so her ring flashed in the fire light. Gentle she sighed and removed her bow from her back.

The greater powers had lead her back to this Inn when her heart desired to move on. "There must be something I am here to learn," Whispered Elwen, "Else why would the powers have brought me? My Star people and the light of my father Moon will soon show me what it is that I must do!"

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 01-10-2003, 12:25 PM   #734
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

The lady in white gazed down upon the small boy concentrating very hard on his apples. It was easy to see he had had a hard life, and who knew what had happened to his family. Laurie gave a little sigh, and took a drink from her own cup. There was so much pain, so much sorrow...

After a moment's silence, Laurie refilled Nįrello's cup. As she poured the drink, her sleeve slipped down and revealed a delicate bracelet of intertwining silver and green. The next moment, it was hidden as she set the cup down.

"I do not know the plans of your friend over there, but I may be able to arrange it with the innkeeper for you to sleep in a proper bed for the night. You and him both look as though you would benefit from a proper rest," she added, her blue eyes twinkling.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:35 PM   #735
Carrūn
Wight

Sting

Nįrello glanced over to where Awyrgan was sitting by the fire talking to the elf lady. "He won't be staying past the evening - it's not his way. He likes to walk under the stars for some reason; he wouldn't ever tell me why. Besides, he hardly ever sleeps."

He put on his "tough" face (which looked surprisingly realistic). "I do not need proper rest," he said. But his head sagged a little and he eventually gave in. "I guess a bed would be nice as long as I can leave in the morning. And no washing dishes." He gave his best puppy-dog stare.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:09 PM   #736
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘Tomorrow evening, Cami?’ Pio’s brow furrowed, and her hand went up to rub the back of her neck. Cami recognized the inauspicious sign. ‘I am so sorry, but I cannot let you have it off.’ Cami’s face fell, and her bottom lip trembled. ‘Is there no other evening you can arrange to take off? Any other evening than tomorrow would do.’ She took her friend’s hands in hers. ‘I need you here to run the Inn for me. I will be away. Some business to attend to.’

Earlier in the day, Amaranthas Bolger had sent her great grandson, Milo, to the Inn with an invitation for Pio to attend her at dinner – Amaranthas’ place tomorrow evening. When Pio had heard him out, she said she must check her schedule to see if she might come. Milo gasped at this answer, and blanched. ‘Your pardon,’ Ms. Pio, he said, ‘but Great-grandmama said I was to wait until you told me what time you might arrive. And no one ignores what She asks them to do.’ Milo held his ground before the Elf, hands behind his back, fidgeting nervously. He had no intention of facing the old dragon with Pio’s present answer.

The Elf laughed, setting him somewhat at ease. ‘So, the Old Dragon, has issued more of a command appearance, than an invitation, has she?’ Milo’s face turned beet red, and he dropped his gaze to floor, studying intently the wood’s grains. He wondered if it were true that Elves had a tricksy way of picking up the thoughts of others. He had heard so from Great-grandmama. He looked up hopefully at Pio. Her grey eyes held his, and she nodded her head in assent.

‘Tell her I will attend her at four in the afternoon. I shall bring some wine, and we can loosen our tongues before we eat.’ Smiling warmly at him, she gave him a few small coins for his time, and sent him on his way.

Milo bobbed his head at her, and scurried toward the door, eager to get the return message delivered and a bag of sweets for himself and his mates to share. He was nearly out the door when he heard her last words to him.

‘And Milo . . . tell her it’s not a tricksy way, at all!’
Old 01-10-2003, 02:16 PM   #737
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

The story of Ungta the wicked cave spider

"well your journy has taken you vary far and long my friend.I will tell you of my recent errond for your uncle."He now came in closer to his friend so he could hear him.

Long ago when the great work of Dwarfs was not called Moria there was a happyer time for the people of Middel Earth.In the second age when Moria was still vary alive and joyus.There lived a prince of there lordshoip.You know him Bali his name was Khadzul.He whent ever into the deeps of the mountains far north,and south where Moria lies.Always looking for new treasures in the earth.

Then one day far north of his kin he found an astounishing thing.In serect he took more than ten score of ten dwarfs with him.He told only few what he was doing.But alas after two seasons there was no word from him ever after.

Now many speculate about his deeds, and what happen.But none can say for sure.Ah now one thing was known about his leave.He took fine craftman with him.Dwarfs that made anvil and hammer sing loudly, and with great power.

So time whent on, more than ten years passed when finaly the fight against Sauron was started.Then finaly the ancient curse was awokened in Moria.There was never one Dwarf that looked apon there great works, as it was of old, again!

Your uncle knew of Khadzul, in the lore of your people.So I was visiting him when the deed was at hand to recover what was lost.Hearing of this I volunteered for the task.So your uncle and fother where please with the outlook of it.They sent almost thirty of your kindred, and people.

So we made our way towards the nothern mountians.We only knew that it was in the high north of that region.As we search for weeks we found a pass into the mountains of Gundabad south of the mountains of Angmar.There was a hidden vale there,at the base a few leags north.

We traveled down deep into the root of that dark mound.Many twists and turns there where. We marked our passes on the stone walls beside us.Yet we still found ourself going in circles for days.Till one day through a series of twist and turns we found ourselfs in a thin tunnel, that was mared with ancient weapons.To make it large enough for Dwarfs to get through.

After spending hours traveling down this trail.We where taken aback by the sight before us.With our laterns we could see ever up wards, and out, in every direction.As far as our light would show us.Then great lanterns of old, and mighty fires where lit to see into the darkness.

We searched for what seemed like days there.But there was no count of time in this place.Only the memory of old and forgotten things.Finaly we found what seemed to be many Dwarfs caught in a great battel.But none of there armour seemed familar to me.The rest of the company knew.It was the work of the Dwarf of Moria in ancient times.So we knew we had found the princes company.

As we searched on some of my company payed closer attenshion to the walls of the cavern.There breath was taken away.For we had only lit the entrance with light.As the rest of the company search the hollows with torches.One gave a mighty cry of joy and bid us all to come near.As we came closer the wall of the cavern flickered with light.Jewels of all color shape and size.Some where of the finest exampels any of us had ever seen.some where vary flawed compared to the orthers.

Still we knew why Khadzul was there with so many.There where books and tools that none had seen before.The books listed the items and amount of eveything that was taken,or made in the canern.Also there where journals of eveything that had happened in this place.We gatered up the bodys and weapons there.Witch where of the finest of craft by Dwarfs.Many of the Dwarfs remains where long gone and only armour was left.So we gatered everything that was rought by them or was in there possion.While this was going on I noticed there where only close to a hundred in the company.But there where still many missing,for in the lore it was said there where over ten score of ten.

Still we found not the remains of the prince.No weapons bearing his name none of the armour that is described that he wore.No trace of him at all.So while many where starting to bring the remains and treasure to the top I and fifteen of my companions whent deeper into the cave to look for the prince.The farther we whent inn the more amazed where we, for the jewls where only part of the treasure of this cave.

One of my companions Ubrick layed his hand on a great vain of metal.So then it fell like it was struck with a great pick.To the ground.The wealth of this cavern was not in its treasures, witch where great.But the easy of retiving them.For the walls,and ground where soft.So it was easy to pull away what was there.

Then one spoke up and said "The Langwell, and the Greylin flow not far from here.Long ago before even Khazuls time it could have flowed under this mountain.Depositing all that we see in the debry of the river base.

Kadzul had found what he had long looked for.In Moria there where greater riches, but none as easly taken as these.So we traveled on and on under the mountain.Till we found a corner hidden away where terribal webs where spun.There in the nets and darkness was the kindred that we where searching for.But a darkness was stirring.Ancient, and evil, it awoke now saying."What has come now to my long lived ears.Is it pray for me to taste.So long has it been since I tasted the the flesh of dwarf or men.Maybe it is the first born, so sweet is there flesh.You will pay greatly for entering the dwelling of Ungta."She hissed in a gurgel of moans that echoed in the cavern.

So we gathered the remains of the prince and his companions.Quickly now we hurried out of here webs.My sword cleaved her nets to open the way.As we retreated she availed us.Now high and tall.As the hight of three tall men she was.But palest white from so many ages in that place.She was not as strong as she was in Khadzuls time.It had been long since she had sustence, and was weary from age.

Still she was vary strong and large.Strong enough in her day to fight off all of Khadzuls people.But she was not to win agian not as long as this sword lay beside me.

All at once we attacked her.The axs of the Dwarf did not pierce her.With the torhche by my side I drew my bow.My arrows are fine and where made for me by your people Bali.They can pierce enven Orc amour through and thfough.To hit and pierce another.My bow as you know was hewed in Gondolin long ago.But only ten of these special arrows do I have.They are hard to make and take long to do so.

With that Erulon took out one from his quiver in his pack.As he blew air apon it it rang out loudly now with a piercing high pitch like a reed of steal.So you see they can even pierce stone.But only when shot from a bow like I have with me.But a fool would do so for how would you get it back.Still I have not a great amout of them ,and the darkness was all about.

She moved about thrashing here,and there from the Dwarfs surrounding her.I missed more than onece.But after a few shots she was steady for a moment.I took aim apon her eye.It flew stright and true.It pierced one of her many eyes,and deep into her head.

Now dazed and angry she pounded, hissed, and growled.Then one of the company, Omli cut into her neck with a mighty swing.She stoped moving long enough for me to push down my blade into her hart.There she lays dead still in the cavern.Her blood green and foul smelling,fills the cavern as we speak.It almost burt my havd as I drove my sword into her.

I gatered up my missing arrows,and recovered the rest of the missing company of Khadzuls.We bore him and all of his company back to Erebor.When we told the lord of the happenings he was over joyed none where slayed.He gave great thanks for my help in this journy.But he bid that though the treasurs in the cavern where great.None should seek them.For hardship and pain where rought into that place.

Then the great festival began witch is still going on now.The storys,food, songs,and merryment.Joy of a great deed done,and none lost of there kindred.The great treasures found that where thought gone forever.Still your fother and uncle are reading over the tombs that we found in the cavern.For a reward they lent me this great ax Bali.

Now holding it up Balis eyes opened up wide."Mithril my friend such a gift."

"Yes bali but I looked for no reward.His lordship bid me take it by his order.For you see I have two weapons as it is."As he said this he handed the ax to Bali.Twisting the handel in his hand to make the ax head spin.

"It is like air in the hand my friend.It wistels in the air as to a green switch."He said this with a few practice swings.

"Yes it was found on one of the men we brought back.See how it can be wielded with one hand.A fair thing for such a long doubbel headed ax."Now receiving the ax back from him.

"But our task was only achived becuse Ungta was so old."As he said this he knew he still had yet to take his bath.Witch he wanted before lunch.

"Now Bali would you beleive they have made me wash dishes,and sleep in a barn in this inn."While saying this Bali let out a great laugh.

"I smell don't I?There is a bath awaiting me.I'll leave you for a few moment to take it.But promise to be back."As he said this he got up whent off to his bath.

The water was still warm and the soap felt good.Oh now if only he had a bed for his next night.One can only hope he thought to himself.
THE CORRECTED TALE IS NOW UP

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Old 01-10-2003, 02:53 PM   #738
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami listened with half an ear to the tale of Ungta, the wicked cave spider. It was a good tale, a very good tale, spoken with grace and assurance. But still her heart was not in it.

It didn't seem that anything she did ever worked out. She went banging down stairwells, head over heels, or sailed off on adventures, where her only reward was to carry away a boatload of grief and heartache. I seem to have an uncanny knack, she thought, for running into dead ends.

She had so wanted to go back to Hobbiton and to see Bag-end again. It had been many years since she was there. And more important than all that was being able to throw her arms about Bilbo and to meet with Frodo and Samwise.

Was there no other way? No glimmer of hope? If only Bird were here, she was sure she would offer to substitute in her place, but Bird was far away fighting against the evils of Lord Sheetrock. Cami lowered her head into her hand and thought long and hard for a minute.

A misty outline of a plan began to form in Cami's brain. She couldn't get away from the Inn, even today, but Mistress Laurie could, and she had a pony to go galloping over the lanes. She looked anxiously about, searching for Laurie. Her eyes came to rest on a table where Laurie and a child were sitting.

She hurriedly scribbbled a note and scampered over to the table, "Laurie, this is urgent. Could you take your pony and ride towards Hobbiton? Take this note to Master Bilbo Baggins at Bag-end. The letter says that there is no way I may leave the Inn tomorrow night, but that he and Frodo and Samwise and his brood are most welcome to hold their little party here. Of course, it will be my treat."

Laurie scrunched her nose and looked hesitently at Miss Cami, "But have you talked to Pio about this?"

"Not exactly, but Miss Pio will understand, I think. Anyways, Frodo and Sam are quite the heroes now, and we may get a spurt of business out of it with everyone wanting to come in and see them. Let me worry about that. Just deliver this note, and have them bring the message right back. And if you want a favor done now or anytime else, I will be in your debt."
Old 01-10-2003, 03:06 PM   #739
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

Laurie couldn't help but laugh at as Nįrello pulled what he thought was a pitiful face, but in reality looked rather ridiculous.

"I'll talk to Pio then. You can help me in the stables later to pay for your room. Which reminds me," and Laurie stood up at this. "I still have chores to do! You can stay down here or help me clean the rooms upstairs. No washing dishes," she added with a wink and smile.

But just at that moment, Cami came scrambling over bearing a note.

Quote:
"Not exactly, but Miss Pio will understand, I think. Anyways, Frodo and Sam are quite the heroes now, and we may get a spurt of business out of it with everyone wanting to come in and see them. Let me worry about that. Just deliver this note, and have them bring the message right back. And if you want a favor done now or anytime else, I will be in your debt."
"Of course I'll go, Cami. It won't take long for Nell and I to make the trip. Oh, but Cami" Laurie added with a glance at the boy beside her. "This is Nįrello, a friend of our mysterious stranger in the corner. He was hoping for a nice bed for the night, you wouldn't mind asking Pio if he could stay for me? And his wound will need to be cleaned again in the morning." Laurie motioned to the bandage over Nįrello's forehead.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]
Old 01-10-2003, 03:10 PM   #740
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie leaned on the counter, shaking her head and laughing to herself. What a girl, what a manō! Oh, she hadn't had this much fun since her last argument with Talōmi. She searched for her next words--in no time she'd have Don laughing along with the rest of them, she was sure of it.

Finally she put her hands on her hips and looked at Don. "Tell me, do you have any brothers?"
Old 01-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #741
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

A slender figure slid quietly into the inn, glancing around nervously. Her hood was up, covering her face, and she kept her black cloak drawn tightly around her.

The inn was busy, so almost no one noticed her enter. She breathed a sigh of relief for that, and seated herself in an isolated corner.

And she had hoped to meet few on this journey....

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-10-2003, 07:25 PM   #742
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ruth looked around the common room. Everyone was talking to someone. Two newcomers were talking in the corner though they both looked rather grim. Laurie had been talking to a young boy until she was interupted by Cami and Rie was chatting to a young hobbit lass.

She'd been pouring tea all day and was honestly sick of it. She put down the teapot on the counter in the kitchen and pulled of her apron and hung it on the little hooks on the wall.

Walking over to pio she told her she'd had enough and was taking a break, then she ordered a glass of red wine and sat at a table by the window. Her thought wondered to her homeland and then she remembered why she had left it.

'No, don't think about it. Not now...' She said to herself softly, a small tear running down her pale cheek. The server with the wine came up and she hastily wiped away her tear and thanked the bar maid.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 01-10-2003, 07:52 PM   #743
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"I have five brothers and four sisters," said Don, and then raised her chin pridefully when Nuru looked at her in amazement.

"Five brothers and four sisters?" asked Nuru in shock. "Ten children in your family? Tell me... how did you get so many?"

"My first mum had four boys and me, and then she died and my dad married again and my second mum had one boy and four girls. All the girls are younger than me and they're so wimpy."

"How old are they?" Rie asked. "Your sisters, I mean."

"Two months, two years, three years, and five years," replied Don instantly. "I have a twin brother who was the best, but when my second mum and my dad died, we all had to be split up... even me and my twin. We did all sorts of bad things while we were together, though!"

Nuru looked wickedly at Rie. "Twins always seem to be really horrible people," she said slyly.

Rie laughed and replied, "How about stuck-up elves who don't have any twins?"

Nuru rolled her eyes and looked back at Don, who had been muttering how she wasn't horrible and her 'twin weren't, either.'

"You know my parents are dead," said Nuru.

"So what? That doesn't make you a thing like me! I'm not a stuck-up elf without a twin."

"I think we'd better watch what we say around this girl," said Nuru, looking at Rie. "She's picking up on everything we say."

Don looked indignantly at Nuru. "I'm not pickin' up anything. I'm listenin' to you, though." And Nuru had to laugh.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:29 PM   #744
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Big family, twin brother...Eru ainu, it was almost unreal how much like Rie this child was. Rie whistled low and shook her head.

"Don't shake your head at me," Don snapped. Rie bit back a grin and looked at Nuru.

"Don't give her that look either! I know it's about me!" Don shouted. Rie gave a little exasperated noise.

"It's not all about you," Rie said, giving Don a "you're about to catch it" look. An older sister always knew that look, and since Don was an older sister she understood quite well.

"It's not all about you, either," Don retorted. Apparently though she understood it, she didn't care.

Rie ran both hands through her hair. "Give me patience," she prayed under her breath.

"If you can't handle talking to me, you could just be quiet," suggested Don sweetly. Rie glared at her.

"We could reverse that, darling," Rie said, just as sweetly.

"Don't call me darling," Don said.

"I'll call you darling if I want, darling," Rie replied with a smile.

"I'll call you what I want, then."

"Oh, fire away, darling." Rie sighed and leaned against the wall. "I am sorry about your twin, though," she said, and meant it.

"You don't have to be sorry," Don snapped.

"Well, I am," Rie retorted. "I have a twin too, you know."

"So?" Don asked.

"So, I know what it's like to lose a twin. Talōmi and I were--are--very close. It was hard to leave him."

"Try being forced to leave him," Don snapped.

Rie made a face. "Be difficult, then!"

"I will, thank you."

"Augh!" Rie threw her arms into the air. "Nuru, she's too much like me. What can we do with two Talmériės?" She shot her friend a helpless look, but her eyes were sparkling. A challenge!
Old 01-10-2003, 11:41 PM   #745
Evinyatar

Sting

Ah! The afternoon sun felt good on his face. He had stopped at the Bywater Pool to rest a while. His back against a sun warmed rock, he let the warm face of Anar shine full upon him, easing the kinks in his aching muscles. It had been a long and dusty trip from the Overbourne Marshes. He looked forward to a clean bed and a pint of nut brown ale from the Green Dragon, just a few more hours hike along the banks of The Water.

‘Best not get too comfortable.’ he said to himself, as he heaved his tired frame up once again. He scooped some water from the pool and washed the dirt from his face, smoothing back his dark hair as he did so. There was little help for his tunic or breeches. Both black, they wore countless layers of dust, and mud stains and various spills. His grey cloak he slung back from his shoulders. His worn, brown leather boots were unbuttoned down to his knees and the cuffs were ragged from long use. He wriggled his toes in them thinking how nice it would be to have a clean pair of socks on once again.

Little thoughts like this flitted through his mind as he travelled on, eating up the miles with his stride, boot heels throwing up small clouds of dust as he walked along.

‘Ah! So here I am at last!’ he said, taking his pack from his shoulders. The sun was just above the Tower Hills as he entered the Inn. Standing in the entry way for a moment, he let his eyes adjust to the softer light within. His grey eyes glinted with delight as he spied the Innkeeper behind the bar.

‘A pint of the nut brown, if you please.’ he told her. One foot on the low railing, he leaned against the bar, watching the foamy head as it pushed up the sides of the tankard, threatening to spill out at the last moment. With a deft hand, the Innkeeper cut the flow and handed him the ale, not a drop spilled.

‘To your good health, Mistress!’ he said grinning at her, ‘And to your little bairns, too!’ He took a long pull at his drink, then turned and leaned against the bar, looking to see a familiar face.

Old 01-11-2003, 12:25 AM   #746
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami assured Lauri that she would find a room for her friend to stay. "Plus, I myself am a healer skilled in herbal lore, and I will be glad to have a look at the boy's wound and see if I can do anything to help."

Cami went behind the counter and came back with a large case containing herbal remedies and ointments, all neatly arranged in rows. "This is something I brought back from my time on the Lonely Star. We were fortunate enough to sail briefly with the Lady Idril, and she graciously taught me many of her secrets of healing. Before I left, she made this gift to me and another like it for my friend Andril."

Cami had the boy come over and removed the dressing from his head. As she carefully examined the wound, her brow was furrowed with concern. "This looks as if it needs attention." Quickly she went to work, cleaning the wound and applying a healing ointment. "Narello, let me look at this again tonight and see if we have any improvement."

Laurie sat on the edge of her seat, her face a mask of concern. Cami smiled at her, "He'll be fine. I just want to keep an eye on him, and make sure we're going in the right direction. Please take the note to Bag-end, and I promise to keep checking on your friend as long as he's here."
Old 01-11-2003, 04:04 AM   #747
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘Now who is this?’ she thought to herself, as she handed him the pint. ‘I turn my back for a moment and someone new comes in the door.’

He was rugged in appearance, from the long road, but his speech was fair enough. His smile, though, now that was something special. It creased the sun browned skin of his face and sparkled at the corners of his eyes.

‘Your pardon, sir.’ she said, as he placed the empty tankard on the bar. ‘Did you wish another?’ He turned his head to her and nodded. Handing him the ale, she introduced herself. ‘My name is Piosenniel, or Pio if you prefer - the Innkeeper here at the moment.’ He took a drink, waiting for her to go on.

She eyed him as he stood there. ‘You look as if you’ve come far, and on foot, I think. You carry no weapon, at least that I can see. How is it that you find yourself drinking in the Dragon this fine evening? Do you seek to put something behind you . . . or perhaps it is something before you which pulls you down the road toward it . . . ’
Old 01-11-2003, 07:03 AM   #748
theWhiteLady
Wight

Shield

Reassured that Cami would look after Nįrello, Laurie gave him one last, warm smile and wondered when, if ever, she would see that curious young child again. "I'm leaving right now," Laurie picked up the note and put it into a pocket hidden in the folds of her white dress. She turned and walked past the bar where yet another rugged man was talking to Pio. Perhaps I should tell Pio where I'm off too,Laurie hesitated. But she looked busy talking to the man; Cami will tell her soon enough, I suppose.

So she swept by and out the door. The air still had a crisp chillness to it, but the sun had peeked out and was shining brilliantly, warming the ground. Laurie entered the stable, tacked up Nell, and mounted for the second time that day. The cool weather felt good to Nell, and she pranced eagerly on the spot. "All right then," Laurie grinned and grabbed a little of her horse's brown mane. A little squeeze and Nell had shot off, down the road and around a grassy bend.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:35 AM   #749
pippin100

Sting

SAVED for re-worked post

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Old 01-11-2003, 08:48 AM   #750
Carrūn
Wight

Sting

Nįrello sat on the counter watching the lady in white talk with another. After a time the lady in white went towards the stables and another came towards him. She was caring a large case. Ugh. Medicine. The boy made a face inside.

Quote:
"This looks as if it needs attention."
It's just a scratch, the boy complained to himself. But he had to admit it did feel better when the lady was finished.

Quote:
"Narello, let me look at this again tonight and see if we have any improvement."
He grinned again. "I'm not going anywhere." With that he returned to the last of the apples.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:33 AM   #751
LegolasGreenleaf

Eye

Waiting for edited post. Please see your private messages.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

Old 01-11-2003, 09:37 AM   #752
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Trying to look for someone to talk with Sarah spotted a newcomer. He looked rugged and dusty all around and the waitress Pio was now talking to him.

So she walked towards the very tired looking traveller, "Welcome to the Green Dragon! The best Inn in a thousand leagues," she said to the man and winked at Pio.

"My name is Sarah, sir and madam. I beg your pardon if you're wondering what my family name is but I have forgotten it in my sleep. And where in the world have you been? You look like as if you travelled all the corners of the world!" she said in jest.

"Want to smoke a pipe?" she said now smoking with a long pipe and handing in a pouch of pipeweed and two wooden pipes to the stranger and the waitress Pio.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Finiel ]
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Old 01-11-2003, 09:46 AM   #753
LegolasGreenleaf

Sting

Save --waiting for edited post

Old 01-11-2003, 10:16 AM   #754
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Morestel watched the other patrons remotely. The halflings fascinated her; she'd only seen one once before, and that had been only a glimpse, and in unusual circumstances. And here, there were so many...

Her attention was drawn to a newcomer, talking to two women. The man was an elf, and from his speech she guessed he was from Mirkwood.
Quote:
"So..what is there to do around here, I am looking for a quest, though I need some sleep first."
He laughed. Morestel watched him from inside her hood, interested. So she was not the only one searching for a quest. "Perhaps I shall have words with this man later," she thought.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 01-11-2003, 10:33 AM   #755
LegolasGreenleaf

Sting

Saved for edited post See your messages.

Old 01-11-2003, 01:37 PM   #756
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

A small and frightened hobbit opened the door. She felt all eyes upon her as she entered the establishment.

"I must have interrupted something," she thought to herself. But, being a hobbit, she was famished. So, of course, hunger took over and she quetly walked up to the counter.

"Suilad, mae govannen-Hail and well met," whispered she. Of course, she couldn't tell an elf from a drawf, or from a human, for that matter. It was obvious that she had lived a pretty sheltered life, only studying Elvish because her mother mysteriously knew it. She was well-educated, but sheltered. She knew it was time to go out into the world, but she didn't know the world outside of her little Hobbiton neighborhood.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:05 PM   #757
Sword Maiden Of The Shire
Animated Skeleton

Sword Maiden Of The Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Two young Hobbits, Pippin and her cousin Merry, burst into the Green Dragon at great speed. The chatting and tale-telling stopped and all eyes turned to them. Their clothes were unusually dirty and leaves and twigs stuck in their hair.

They however didn't seem to notice and walked up the long wooden counter. The Innkeeper surveyed them with an amused eye and the chatter broke out again.

"Here now, what may I ask have you two been up to?" she asked.

While Pippin pulled twigs out of her brown hair, Merry replied "We fell down the bank near Maggot's field"

Pio smiled, she knew that wasn't the whole story "I reckon that's less than you deserve! What did you do this time?"

"All we did was take a few mushrooms!" said Pippin smiling mischieviously "He had those dogs of his gives quite a chase, didn't he Merry?"

Merry nodded "We lost all of the mishrooms too, they'll be some creature's supper no doubt!"

Pio just laughed "You two never learn!" and went to go tend to some other guests.

Pippin searched her pockets and found the only two remaining mushrooms that hadn't been knocked out of her when they fell. Merry smiled "You're a marvel Pip!" They chewed them hungrily.

"I reckon we got him pretty upset this time huh?" said Merry in mock-seriousness.

"No, he'll forget about it by tomorrow!" replied Pippin grinning.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Sword Maiden Of The Shire ]
Old 01-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #758
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Two questioners at once! Now, who to answer first. 'Your pardon, Mistress Piosenniel,' he said, nodding his head at her. 'but that is a long story, and my throat is still dry from a long day on the road. Will your curiosity keep until the morrow?' He sipped his ale thoughtfully. 'Oh, I have been rude, have I not! My name is Derufin.'

Derufin smiled as she acknowledged his apology. 'I will tell you this - Once, it would have been said I ran from sorrows, but now am I pulled toward joy.'

He turned his attention to Sarah, standing with two pipes in her hand and a bulging pouch of aromatic leaf. 'Is that Old Toby?' he asked, taking the offered pouch and sniffing deeply. 'No, it's Southlinch, isn't it? From Bree, as I recall.'

He took a pipe and tamped a bowlful of pipeweed into it. Plucking a straw from the small whisk broom sitting on the bar, he caught the flame from the small candle lantern to his right and lit the pipe, drawing deeply on it. 'Ah! Now that is good! I thank you, Mistress Sarah for the generous gift.'

He pointed with his pipe stem to a nearby table. 'Come sit awhile with me.' he invited, raising his brows in question. She nodded her assent, and he led her to the table, pulling out the chair for her, and bade her sit. Seating himself with a weary sigh, he propped his road worn boots on an empty chair. 'Would you like something to drink?' He called the serving girl to the table, and waited while Sarah gave her request.

'Tell me,' he said, a half smile creasing his face, 'what brings a fair lass like you to The Green Dragon?' His eyes gleamed in an impish manner, 'Except, of course, for the fine company one finds here!'

He raised his pint to her, taking a long drink, as she composed her answer.

[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Envinyatar ]
Old 01-11-2003, 06:06 PM   #759
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"Excuse me, sir," said the young hobbit lass, trying to clear her throat. "Do you have anything I might eat? I've never been here before and this place is strange, but I am sure that some food would calm me down."

She looked toward the rambunctious Merry and Pippin and smiled shyly. She thought that she might have seen them before, but wasn't quite sure. Nervous, so nervous! But she could smell the mushrooms they had on them, and that distracted her thoughts if only for a while. She thought of that delicious mushroom soup her mother used to make.

If only she could go home. . .
Old 01-11-2003, 06:32 PM   #760
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘Hmm! Easily distracted by a pretty face, I see!’ Pio watched as Derufin crossed the room with Sarah. Crouching down, she busied herself with stacking the newly washed and dried mugs, tankards and glasses on the shelves behind the bar. It was from there that she heard the small Hobbit voice asking her for some food. A young girl’s voice, she thought and she called her ‘Sir’!

Pio stood up, wiping her hands on her apron, and peered over the bar at the young lass. ‘Now what brings such a young Hobbit as you seeking food at the Inn?’ She gave her an appraising look, seeing that she did indeed look hungry, if not a bit forelorn. ‘Climb up on the stool there, and I will bring you something to ease your hunger.’

A few moments passed, and Pio returned, placing a bowl of hot stew and some slices of crusty bread before the girl, with a glass of cold cider to wash it down. She watched as the girl spooned up the food greedily and tore into the bread with her teeth. She refilled the cider glass when it was empty, and the Hobbit had sighed in satisfaction over her empty bowl.

The Innkeeper took the bowl and spoon from her, saying ‘Glad you enjoyed it so! The cook will be pleased to hear it.’ She leaned casually on the bar, watching as the girl finished the second glass of cider.

‘By the way, let me introduce myself. I am Piosenniel, or Pio, if you prefer, the Innkeeper for the Green Dragon for this while. And you . . .?’