The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
The Mouth of Sauron
Wight

The Mouth of Sauron has just left Hobbiton.
How did Gollum escape from Moria ?

Gollum started following the Fellowship after they entered Moria at the West Gate. And throughout the journey through Moria, both Frodo and Aragorn (and almost certainly Gandalf too) were aware of his presence.

But considering Gollum was FOLLOWING, how did he cross the chasm which the Bridge of Khazad-Dum had spanned ? The Fellowship were the last to cross the bridge before Gandalf destroyed it. And yet Gollum was right behind the Fellowship, on the borders of Lorien, only hours later.
The Mouth of Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dūm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think Gollum climbed out of a light-shaft/window. He was a small, very agile creature and could climb like a spider.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
I think Gollum climbed out of a light-shaft/window. He was a small, very agile creature and could climb like a spider.
If he could do that, he would have done that ages ago. But we are told that he was actually stuck in Moria and couldn't get out - he couldn't open the Western gate, because the doors were too heavy for him, and in the East, there were the Orcs. So if he could have used any of the shafts, he would have done so before. No, this won't hold.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:55 AM   #4
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I don't think that there was an other way around or over the chasm. What proteting would the bridge have been if there was an other way?

But the Orcs were seen greatte numbers at the border of Lorien the same night as Gollum. We can assume that they bridge the chasm sone after the fellowship left Moria. Probably the Orcs waited for the night, before they came out of Moria but Gollum could have moved earlier.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I would agree with Legate in that Gollum made his way out just before the Fellowship. He knew his way about, and did not need to follow them to be led to the exit. The last sighting of him by anyone in the group came while they camped in the large hall on the last night. From that point, he likely slipped ahead of them and went out through the East-gate, hiding where he could watch for them and resume stalking.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I also tend to think Gollum got out before them. I think it was rather obvious that they were passing through Moria, and thus there would be only one place for them to exit. As I recall, Gollum did not follow them into Moria; he was already there, and drawn by the Ring, picked up their trail. My suspicion is that once they got closer to the east door, possibly during the night they slept in one of the upper chambers, he scooted ahead and out to a place where he could watch for them, safely away from the interference of Orcs and any other servant or ally of Sauron who would either take the Ring to him or want it for him/her/itself.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:34 PM   #7
CSteefel
Wight

CSteefel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I would agree with Legate in that Gollum made his way out just before the Fellowship. He knew his way about, and did not need to follow them to be led to the exit. The last sighting of him by anyone in the group came while they camped in the large hall on the last night. From that point, he likely slipped ahead of them and went out through the East-gate, hiding where he could watch for them and resume stalking.
This seems reasonable to me. Not being able to follow the Fellowship into the Chamber, he would have likely made his way to what he knew to be the exit point from Moria. He did something similar thing alongside the Silverlode, apparently waiting there for the Fellowship to depart.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:33 AM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth of Sauron View Post
Gollum started following the Fellowship after they entered Moria at the West Gate. And throughout the journey through Moria, both Frodo and Aragorn (and almost certainly Gandalf too) were aware of his presence.

But considering Gollum was FOLLOWING, how did he cross the chasm which the Bridge of Khazad-Dum had spanned ? The Fellowship were the last to cross the bridge before Gandalf destroyed it. And yet Gollum was right behind the Fellowship, on the borders of Lorien, only hours later.
Is there anything on this matter by Tolkien? (Letters, something... I would think that somebody might have asked him about that.) Anyway, if I were to state my opinion, what comes on my mind right now is that Gollum actually managed to cross the Bridge BEFORE the Fellowship - when the matters got nasty, perhaps he was forced to move eastwards (because the Orcs were approaching from the West) and then crossed the bridge and went outside, or something like that. Though, there were still the guards... I guess Gollum must have (in any case) used the chaos created by the Fellowship's coming to sneak out.

Also, didn't the Orcs cross the pit after the destruction of the Bridge, too? Wasn't there some other way (apart from the one Gandalf and Balrog took, that is)? Perhaps Gollum could cross that way. Though he certainly had to be quick, as he was seen by Frodo almost that very night.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote