The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
White Tree Representing Men?

In the Fellowship we know that each person stood for one race. ex. Legolas for the Elves. So who stood for men, Aragorn or Boromir? I know, this sounds dumb, but really, who was it?
I would say it was Boromir. He lived in Gondor, was around men every day, and he was to be the next ruler. Aragorn (though he was Isildur`s heir) was not in the presence of men everyday, and had not been to Gondor for quite some time.
Since the Dunedain are sort of another race of men, and Aragorn is their chief, I think that Aragorn would represent the Rangers instead of men. Did any of that make sense?
What are you thoughts?
Old 10-13-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I would say that Boromir does represent the race of Men, not only because of the fact that he is of Minas Tirith, but because of his personality as well. Men are supposed to be weak and easily seduced by power, and Boromir's eventual corruption seems to represent this. However, he shows the strength and bravery of Men as well.

Aragorn, as a descendant of Numenor, would represent the lost -- or failing, if you like -- glory of Men, I think. He is like the quintessential Man, since he is intelligent, just, and courageous. He, unlike most, has the ability to resist the Ring. He's living proof that Men used to be greater and stronger, and can be once more if only he can lead them.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

I would say both Boromir and Aragorn represented men. It shows the duality of men, in failing, and in persevering to glory.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:53 PM   #4
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

I agree with Encaitare ,Boromir as a man of Gondor surely represented men and he showed the psycology of race - hungry for power ,getting ensnared by evil and so on .

But Aragorn was one of the people of Numenor ,the faithful.I can say that they were a different race all-together.

( Yes !! My 400th post ).
Old 10-14-2004, 02:27 AM   #5
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
It's a dynamic representation. I thought at first, that Aragorn is "the Man," if you will. But the problem with Aragorn is that he raised as an elf, and his identity as a Ranger removes him from the royalty that rules the whole race of men. Which means that he isn't really ready to come to terms with his fate. (Him being a little edgy about being the heir if Isildur and all that)

Boromir is the Man of the Moment, the moment being the Fellowship. He was the right representative for men at the time because he was ready to face the leadership supposedly passed down from his father. He had an agenda in mind, and it was all for the good of his people. Obviously, his agenda isn't the most ideal one, if not unrealistic (giving him the Ring wouldn't really turn out as he had in mind, would it?). Boromir, however new and refreshing his leadership will be, will pressumably under the power of the Ring.

Aragorn, on the other hand, although reluctant he seemed to be about taking on the role of King (in the films, at least), turned out to rule middle earth under a new paradigm sans the Ring, and evil altogether.

So in the story that circles around who represents Men involves a dynamic change: Boromir as the outgoing old, and Aragorn as the incoming new.

Congratulations on your 400th post, rutslegolas ! I'm nearing my 500th.

(edit: at this post, for the record, my posts totaled at 496!)

Last edited by Neferchoirwen; 10-21-2004 at 10:57 AM. Reason: For the want of accuracy
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:30 AM   #6
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Men are supposed to be weak and easily seduced by power
No they aren't. Tolkien doesn't stereotype whole races in that way (apart from 'monsters', of course).

You need to avoid silly, over simplistic movies by bad writers
davem is offline   Reply With Quote