The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies > Sequence-by-Sequence
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
LotR3-RotK-Seq11

Under the ruins of a walled city
Crumbling towers and beams of yellow light
No flags of truce, no cries of pity
The siege guns had been pounding all through the night
It took a day to build the city
We walked through its streets in the afternoon
As I returned across the field's I'd known
I recognized the walls that I once made
I had to stop in my tracks for fear
Of walking on the mines I'd laid.
- Sting, from Fortress Around Your Heart

The siege of Minas Tirith begins. The forces of Sauron approach, and there are many times many. Trolls push massive siege towers, and I wonder what a simple pit or wall or mud would have done to their progress – aren’t the Pelennor Fields just a little too flat? A little too CG? Just what was the fields’ purpose, assuming that they weren’t used on the weekends for games of football or lawn bowling?

The ‘approach of Sauron’s army’ shot is too CG. More video game than movie. That being said, I can’t wait for the battle, extended in this addition, to start. The scene is brighter than would be expected, but the darkness sent by Mount Doom to cover the troops from the sun was swept away by the winds of the lighting crew.

Before the war can actually start, first the Gondor gate guards must let one last soldier in through the door. Why, it’s Faramir being dragged by his trusty steed. Note that a horse of the Rohirrim, such as Brego, would have carried the poor steward’s son upon its back; Gondor’s horses are above such silliness. Faramir has two arrows stuck in him. He seems mostly dead, but I’m not sure. The gate area seems strikingly clean, and one would think that barricades and other impediments would already be in place as surely someone has noticed that a ‘massive’ battle is about to begin.

Back on the fields, the shots to be heard ’round the wold (yes, wold) are loaded into catapults. The ratcheting mechanism of the devices sounds like hammering on an anvil – like Saruman’s smithies? Happy-go-lucky Gothmog rides out on this most splendid day. What a day for a war! He’s dressed in his best threads, and grins like there’s no tomorrow - it’s good to be Gothmog this day. Even his warg seems well-groomed, and I’m surprised that the creature does not have a bow in its mane (black, of course) or some flashy collar. As Gothmog looks over his troops, I do as well, and some are armed with the most interesting weapons. Though very similar in color, the orcs wear different helms and carry various versions of pointy sticks. Not at all like Saruman’s one-size-kills-all Uruks.

We get a quick glimpse of Faramir’s stretcher bearers taking the Steward’s son elsewhere. The arrows have been plucked from or broken from his chest, and the blood – and maybe even the holes – have been wiped from his armor. He seems the better already.

We see the gimpy Gothmog de-warg, and push away another orc that tries to help its leader after a poor dismount (“The Harad judge scores it 1.7…”). Gothmog has a real big chip on his shoulder - this is no ordinary orc-chieftain that leads Sauron’s armies into battle. By the by, where’s that other leader of the forces of darkness? Air traffic control have him in a holding pattern?

Back inside Minas Tirith, Denethor runs to meet the broken body of his second son. The Steward kneels in front of his son, but not for long. A soldier, Captain Obvious, points out that Faramir’s troops were outnumbered. Somehow, though, Faramir made it back. Alone. If the war goes well, there’s going to be questions…

Back on the other side, we get a really good look at Gothmog’s head. Do orcs’ melt? Did he cut himself shaving with a mattock? Anyway, he states that the peoples inside Minas Tirith need deodorant for their fear stench, and, showing his complete ignorance in all matters regarding hygiene, sends over what obviously works with the lady orcs.

Human heads. Ugh.

Guards are pelted by this sickening shot, and it has the desired effect – thankfully the scene is cut short.

Denethor goes off the edge – figuratively, at least for now – when he thinks that Faramir is dead. Pippin, not giving up hope, examines Faramir more closely and sees possibility. Even if Denethor heard the words of young Pippin, any flicker of hope that was kindled was immediately squashed when Denethor looks out at the army of Sauron. What strikes me each time I see the besiegers is the orderliness of the orcs. Enemy catapults begin the assault, and buildings crumble as quickly as Denethor’s mind. Soldiers and civilians in the city run in panic for cover, and to make matters worse, after slandering Théoden and the Rohirrim, Denethor calls for all to ‘abandon ship.’

Exactly where are the lifeboats stowed?

Gandalf will have none of this, and smacks the Steward upside the head. Ian McKellen has a look of disgust on his face that could curdle milk. He, I guess, lets the moment get the best of him and decides, that, well, I do carry this big white stick in my hand, and I’m really not afraid to use it and so…Gandalf beats the Steward to the ground. What happened to the counselor that was not to match power for power in the fight against Sauron? Where is the wizard that pities even Sauron’s slaves? How does Gandalf expect for the defenders to follow him when they’ve just seen him strike (repeatedly) their rightful ruler? And, as we most likely know, this won’t be the last beating that the Steward will get from the White Wizard.

I don’t like PJ’s choice here. Sure, when Gandalf calls for everyone to “prepare for battle,” I can’t help but be pleased, but did we have to get there over an old deluded man’s body? I liked the Grey more than the White, and as noted previously, Gandalf’s character continues to slip down a dark slope to the abyss. Anyway…

The Gondorian soldiers, having immediately abandoned their posts (are they automatons to not see, to a man, that their boss is nuts?), at the words of Gandalf turn back around. Men form ranks, and weapons are readied. Trebuchets throw large chunks of masonry back at the orcs. Gandalf watches as the orcs take casualties. Not enough, it seems, by his facial expression. Both sides get crunched as the ‘artillery’ continues to fire. Gothmog almost becomes an orc pancake, but, in a show of bravery or stupidity, he waits until the very last moment to move away from the large rock that comes his way. He shows his contempt by spitting on the rock that just missed him.

Note the somewhat comic troll.

Now that the ‘siege guns’ are going, Gothmog, via some unseen radio device, calls in his air force to attack the Gondorian artillery. The winged Nazgûl dive and attack from above (interesting that the creatures can fall so fast then pull out of the dive), throwing the defenders into disarray. The screams of the screechers, like in the books, are amplified, and men cringe and hide at the sound. Note that no one looses an arrow their way, and you’d think that, having seen these creatures before in the fighting in Osgiliath, that the Gondorian soldiery would be accustomed to the Nazgûl’s presence and would have prepared some defense (like shooting them down, as was suggested of a winged Nazgûl in an earlier sequence). Note that I count nine as they swoop down on Minas Tirith - pause the scene when the camera angle goes behind the diving creatures, count those presently on the screen then add each one as it appears.

At least it makes some sense for Sauron, via PJ, to use the creatures such as in this version of Middle Earth, no elf prince shoots one down. Panic, having left briefly, returns to the city. Civilians and soldiers run helter-skelter, and poor Pippin gets pushed to the floor. The siege towers almost reach the walls, and Gandalf tells the soldiers not to shoot at the armored towers but at the trolls that push them. Duh! Thankfully the wizard’s wisdom was available, as the soldiers may have been shooting each other. The walls are reached/breached, and hand-to-hand fighting ensues. More orcs rush the gate. The battering ram that the orcs use is not effective, and we wonders who exactly is running this show?

Gandalf, taking a moment from the slaughter, tells Pippin that he should run back to the Citadel, as, as we know from Théoden’s and Éomer’s words, hobbits aren’t meant to fight. And orc takes advantage of the pause and runs for Pip. Gandalf joins the battle and wields both staff (non-magically) and sword like - as stated by either Ian or PJ - like a “samurai.” After Gandalf dispatches a few orcs, one slips through his defense and, as anyone watching these films would have guessed, Pippin comes to the rescue and slays the orc, saving Gandalf’s life…or whatever.

By the way, if Gimli, Aragorn and Legolas did not have weapons that could harm the wizard…anyway, back to the fighting.

The orcs continue to take losses at the gate, and Gothmog is no longer smiling. Doesn’t anyone think to shoot the orc that stands out from the crowd? “Look - An orc chieftain! Oh, that’s right…they don’t command in such large battles.” At least in this attack on a gate of man the orc bodies pile up during the battle. It would have been nice to see the orcs falling in front of the gate as well, slowing the advance those running with the big log. We’ve already gone too long in this scene without a PJism, but then it happens: An orc states that nothing can breach the gate. Gothmog replies that “Grond will breach it.” He’s smiling again. Note that he IS an orc chieftain, as someone more bright would have brought up the wolfish battering ram much sooner.

Grond is brought forth, dragged by some prehistoric beasts of the oliphaunt size. Some relative of the Arsinoitherium perhaps?

The orcs all chant “Grond” as the machine closes on the gate (except for one orc riding on the right side of Grond’s structure). Gandalf looks out at the flaming battering ram and again seems dismayed. Where, by the way, is the Wizardly flashlight that drove away the Winged Nazgûl?

With that, DVD 1 fades to black. DVD opens with a ‘Pirates of the Belfalas’ trailer. Or not.

It’s those same pirates and marauders that so depressed Aragorn when he, Gimli and Legolas left the Paths of the Dead back door. As the ships approach, we see our three heroes standing alone on the shoreline. Aragorn yells out something like, ‘you cannot pass, sailors of Anduin.’ The captain of the nearest ship takes notice and he and crew laugh as there is no stick behind these words. Aragorn asks the deadly accurate elf to shoot a warning shot - Aragorn warns these men, I guess, to turn back. Seems that he will not give this choice to many - or any - later. With a little help from Gimli, Legolas’s arrow goes amiss and ‘kills’ our dear PJ, who demonstrates that acting is not as easy at it looks. Gimli, obviously, wants a fight, and prepares to board the ships amongst so much laughter.

The captain sets up Aragorn for a truly inspired line, “This army,” and as our new King of the Dead speaks, the army of the dead rush the ships.

The wind of fortune may be a’changing.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
The assault on Minas Tirith is good overall, maybe not quite as lights-out as it could have been. It does, however, become spectacular when the Nazgul show up, accompanied by a new rendition of their theme, courtesy of Howard Shore, that's meaner, bigger, and badder than the one we're used to from the continual horse charges in FOTR. There's a line in the book about the Nazgul descending and destroying all hope. I think it's actually in the "Black Gate Opens" chapter, but that's what I always think of as I watch them here. It's extremely difficult to portray the sheer terror they invoke in their enemies, but PJ does it about as well as you can.

The Corsair scene is stupid and is nearly identical in form to the later scene at Pelennor Fields. It was nice to see PJ die, though. The "Cameras in Middle-earth" documentary on the third disc has a great feature on this scene and all the crew members who got transformed into corsairs. The most stunning, to my mind, is Richard Taylor: The geeky, Bill Gates-ish head of WETA looks downright dashing, and is literally unrecognizable.

EDIT: Hey, sweet, I just got upgraded to Shade of Carn Dum! I probably have one of the slowest posting rates on this board, like once a week or so.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I love the release the prisoners bit! The orc with the skull on his head looks well 'ard! OK, Gothmog looks a bit over the top, and I always thought of him as a Nazgul, but there you go.

As much as I try to defend the movies (and have also defended this scene by stating that Gandalf does actually seem to strike out at Denethor in the book) I don't like Gandalf smacking Denethor in the face! His nearby soldiers at least should have stood up to Gandalf....

PS it's this bit when Gandalf rushes to save Faramir being burned alive:
Quote:
But Gandalf sprang up the steps, and the men fell back from him and covered their eyes; for his coming was like the incoming of a white light into a dark place, and he came with great anger. He lifted up his hand, and in the very stroke, the sword of Denethor flew up and left his grasp and fell behind him in the shadows of the house; and Denethor stepped backward before Gandalf as one amazed.
The CGI attack of the city looks very impressive. The shot of the fell beast dropping some gondorians hundreds of feet to their death is very sickening! Horrible, but so well done.

Oh dear - the 'This army' quote from Aragorn. very droll. I think Jackson acts ok in this bit, but as I've said countless times before, it brings me 'out' of the film
and back to reality every time I see his face!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Really, for me, the stupid "You and whose army" line is worse than having PJ in the scene. It would be okay if it weren't stinkin' cliched. The "warning shot" is mildly funny and in keeping with Gimli's portrayal, but why does Aragorn tell Legolas to fire in the first place? Does he really think he's going to scare off a bunch of mean-looking crew members with an arrow, albeit well-shot?

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
The siege of Minas Tirith begins. The forces of Sauron approach, and there are many times many. Trolls push massive siege towers,
I would have to agree with Dominic Monaghan/Billy Boyd on the commentary that these are some of the best army scenes - indeed, crowd scenes overall - of recent years. Look at how the camera goes - looking down at the base of the siege towers where the tiny-looking Trolls are pushing the catapults, moving up to swerve past the Orcs at the top of the siege tower, and then moving back in a long shot to reveal the vast army of Mordor taking up almost all of the screen. Absolutely stunning work.

Quote:
aren’t the Pelennor Fields just a little too flat? A little too CG? Just what was the fields’ purpose, assuming that they weren’t used on the weekends for games of football or lawn bowling?
I have to say; this is one of the few places where the landscaping isn't quite as good as it could have been.

Quote:
The ‘approach of Sauron’s army’ shot is too CG. More video game than movie.
Whilst I see what you mean, is it really possible to say when CG is 'too' CG? Wasn't the real point of CG to make anything possible? If so, how can something be 'too' CG?

Quote:
The scene is brighter than would be expected, but the darkness sent by Mount Doom to cover the troops from the sun was swept away by the winds of the lighting crew.
Just to play devil's advocate, could we say that the darkness just arrives later, when Grond attacks the gates? It doesn't seem to be a natural night as Eomer reports on Minas Tirith's condition at roughly the same time, but the scene with the Rohirrim takes place in broad daylight.

Quote:
Before the war can actually start, first the Gondor gate guards must let one last soldier in through the door. Why, it’s Faramir being dragged by his trusty steed. Note that a horse of the Rohirrim, such as Brego, would have carried the poor steward’s son upon its back; Gondor’s horses are above such silliness.

Quote:
Faramir has two arrows stuck in him. He seems mostly dead, but I’m not sure.
Notice that he is seen to 'die' in exactly the same way as his brother - so it's easy to see why Denethor would come to such a morbid conclusion without checking properly first.

Quote:
The gate area seems strikingly clean, and one would think that barricades and other impediments would already be in place as surely someone has noticed that a ‘massive’ battle is about to begin.
Like the other unrealitic things in the siege sequence, the lack of preparations by the defenders seems silly. I suppose you could say that it illustrates Denethor's corruption in that he doesn't bother to protect the city, but what commander would really need to be told to repare for an attack?

Quote:
Back on the fields, the shots to be heard ’round the wold (yes, wold) are loaded into catapults. The ratcheting mechanism of the devices sounds like hammering on an anvil – like Saruman’s smithies?
One of LOTR's themes appears here - the dirty Orcs with their destructive machines attacking the cleaner, more decorative walls of the Gondorians with their elaborate armour - as davem said in the chapter by chapter thread, it's art versus machine.

Quote:
As Gothmog looks over his troops, I do as well, and some are armed with the most interesting weapons. Though very similar in color, the orcs wear different helms and carry various versions of pointy sticks. Not at all like Saruman’s one-size-kills-all Uruks.
This is another interesting point you've got - Saruman's Uruks are a very practical army where everything is made in one model, whereas Sauron's Orcs are a much more agressive force where everything is made in different styles specific to each soldier. Saruman works through the strength of one group, whilst Sauron works through the strength of lots of random individuals, whilst the Free Peoples rely on a bit of both; the strength of a few random groups.

Quote:
The arrows have been plucked from or broken from his chest, and the blood – and maybe even the holes – have been wiped from his armor. He seems the better already.
I guess these are the censors at work...

Quote:
We see the gimpy Gothmog de-warg, and push away another orc that tries to help its leader after a poor dismount (“The Harad judge scores it 1.7…”). Gothmog has a real big chip on his shoulder - this is no ordinary orc-chieftain that leads Sauron’s armies into battle.
What I like about Gothmog is that he's a very individual enemy - he's not just a generic baddie but an evil person who actively takes part in what he does - he cares about his pride when he shoves the other Orc back and he enjoys bombarding Minas Tirith. He is a much more 'realistic' and possibly scary villain because he enjoys what he does - he is not a neutral slave like the other Orcs but passionately evil.

Quote:
By the by, where’s that other leader of the forces of darkness? Air traffic control have him in a holding pattern?
Another vaguely annoying inconsistency...

Quote:
A soldier, Captain Obvious, points out that Faramir’s troops were outnumbered.
I remember a card somewhere that called this guy Prince Imrahil. It's anice idea as he actually does the same thing that Imrahil does in the book - bringing Faramir up to Denethor. I wish he had more screen time.

Quote:
Somehow, though, Faramir made it back. Alone. If the war goes well, there’s going to be questions…
LOL, that was great...

On a more serious note, did anyone else find it bitterly ironic that Faramir, who didn't mind dying, survived, but all the innocent soldiers that went with him who were just doing their jobs were killed?

Quote:
Human heads. Ugh.
Brilliant shot - it's from the books and it really gets across how savage the Orcs really are.

Quote:
Guards are pelted by this sickening shot, and it has the desired effect – thankfully the scene is cut short.
I know this is very sick and disgusting of me, but I like the last shot with the bloody head - LOTR isn't a world where everything is clean and all the fighting is fancy and fun *coughNarniacough* but a Braveheart/Henry V style world where slicing brings gory results.

Quote:
Denethor goes off the edge – figuratively, at least for now – when he thinks that Faramir is dead.
There's obviously the tragic humour of a man who caused the problem complaining about the results as if he had nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Enemy catapults begin the assault, and buildings crumble as quickly as Denethor’s mind. Soldiers and civilians in the city run in panic for cover,
I find this scene a bit hard to watch as the Orcs are slaughtering hundreds of innocents at their will and loving every moment of it - like seeing the Native Americans getting massacred by the US soldiers at Wounded Knee in Into The West.

Quote:
after slandering Théoden and the Rohirrim
More irony - Denethor was against Rohan helping them for his own selfish reasons and then he complains when they don't turn up.

Quote:
Ian McKellen has a look of disgust on his face that could curdle milk.
I just love his expression here.

Quote:
He, I guess, lets the moment get the best of him and decides, that, well, I do carry this big white stick in my hand, and I’m really not afraid to use it and so…Gandalf beats the Steward to the ground. What happened to the counselor that was not to match power for power in the fight against Sauron? Where is the wizard that pities even Sauron’s slaves?
It might seem unreasonable compared to the books, but you've got to consider the situation. It was much more desperate than the books - the city was being actively attacked and any more of Denethor's shouting would have led to total anarchy among the people, with the Orcs already pelting them with their relatives' heads. Gandalf had to take serious action right then and there or let the city fall...and by then, what was Denethor worth? He had become a total liability and was making an already bad situation even worse. What else could Gandalf have done? Asked him to go inside for a quiet chat? Call for a psychiatrist?

Quote:
How does Gandalf expect for the defenders to follow him when they’ve just seen him strike (repeatedly) their rightful ruler?
Who would you follow - a raving lunatic or a powerful wizard? Who else was there to follow?

Quote:
Sure, when Gandalf calls for everyone to “prepare for battle,” I can’t help but be pleased
I agree - this is a really fantastic line. I think it sums up ROTK in general.

Quote:
but did we have to get there over an old deluded man’s body?
I think so, yes.

Quote:
at the words of Gandalf turn back around. Men form ranks, and weapons are readied.
I just love how Gandalf turns the whole situation around - I'm reminded of Cirdan's words on giving the Ring of Fire that Gandalf would light mens' hearts in the cold world. I also like the line 'Send these foul beasts into the abyss!' I like Gandalf so much here, but then it is all ruined a few scenes later...

Quote:
Trebuchets throw large chunks of masonry back at the orcs. Gandalf watches as the orcs take casualties. Not enough, it seems, by his facial expression. Both sides get crunched as the ‘artillery’ continues to fire. Gothmog almost becomes an orc pancake, but, in a show of bravery or stupidity, he waits until the very last moment to move away from the large rock that comes his way. He shows his contempt by spitting on the rock that just missed him.
We have a great-looking artillery exchange here....one of the best battle sequences of the movies.

Quote:
Now that the ‘siege guns’ are going, Gothmog, via some unseen radio device, calls in his air force to attack the Gondorian artillery. The winged Nazgûl dive and attack from above (interesting that the creatures can fall so fast then pull out of the dive), throwing the defenders into disarray. The screams of the screechers, like in the books, are amplified, and men cringe and hide at the sound. Note that no one looses an arrow their way, and you’d think that, having seen these creatures before in the fighting in Osgiliath, that the Gondorian soldiery would be accustomed to the Nazgûl’s presence and would have prepared some defense (like shooting them down, as was suggested of a winged Nazgûl in an earlier sequence). Note that I count nine as they swoop down on Minas Tirith - pause the scene when the camera angle goes behind the diving creatures, count those presently on the screen then add each one as it appears.
Brilliant work here, though the lack of arrows is annoying.

Note that the soldiers around Gandalf are unaffected by the Nazgul's fear.

Quote:
Panic, having left briefly, returns to the city. Civilians and soldiers run helter-skelter, and poor Pippin gets pushed to the floor.
Was I the only one who found this 'mass-hysteria' a bit disheartening? As soon as things are rough, everyone starts screaming?

Quote:
The siege towers almost reach the walls, and Gandalf tells the soldiers not to shoot at the armored towers but at the trolls that push them. Duh! Thankfully the wizard’s wisdom was available, as the soldiers may have been shooting each other.
This is particularly annoying as it makes the Gondorians look like total idiots.

Quote:
The walls are reached/breached, and hand-to-hand fighting ensues. More orcs rush the gate. The battering ram that the orcs use is not effective, and we wonders who exactly is running this show?
The Gondorian archers show a bit more usefullness here, which is a relief.

Quote:
Gandalf, taking a moment from the slaughter, tells Pippin that he should run back to the Citadel, as, as we know from Théoden’s and Éomer’s words, hobbits aren’t meant to fight.
Seems a bit 'lucky' that Pippin just found Gandalf right there, but this is too small to make a fuss over.

Quote:
And orc takes advantage of the pause and runs for Pip. Gandalf joins the battle and wields both staff (non-magically) and sword like - as stated by either Ian or PJ - like a “samurai.” After Gandalf dispatches a few orcs, one slips through his defense and, as anyone watching these films would have guessed, Pippin comes to the rescue and slays the orc, saving Gandalf’s life…or whatever.
Nice fight choreography. It was good to see the usually immortal Orcs finally get a whipping.

Quote:
By the way, if Gimli, Aragorn and Legolas did not have weapons that could harm the wizard
I think the significance of this moment isn't Gandalf getting 'saved', but Pippin standing up and doing his bit for the fight against evil. He finds his courage, as Galadriel predicted so long before.

Quote:
…anyway, back to the fighting.
I agree.

Quote:
The orcs continue to take losses at the gate, and Gothmog is no longer smiling.
About time...

I think PJ and co. do a great job of making us hate the Orcs - the pelting of loved ones' heads, the laughing at the destruction, etc. I think this is great because it makes us like the good guys more when they win and also because I often end up sympathising with the bad guys in other entertainment as they always seem to get beaten.

Quote:
At least in this attack on a gate of man the orc bodies pile up during the battle.
The battles in ROTK seemed a lot more destructive - which is a good thing, of course.

Quote:
Note that he IS an orc chieftain, as someone more bright would have brought up the wolfish battering ram much sooner.
I guess that bringing up such a big weapon would take a very long time, thus prolonging the attack and increasing casualties...but I guess it's just another inconsistency.

Quote:
Grond is brought forth, dragged by some prehistoric beasts of the oliphaunt size. Some relative of the Arsinoitherium perhaps?
I like this little glimpse of some creatures from beyond the world of LOTR - the books call this 'unexplained vistas' and I think it works great in the films, too.

Quote:
It’s those same pirates and marauders that so depressed Aragorn when he, Gimli and Legolas left the Paths of the Dead back door. As the ships approach, we see our three heroes standing alone on the shoreline. Aragorn yells out something like, ‘you cannot pass, sailors of Anduin.’ The captain of the nearest ship takes notice and he and crew laugh as there is no stick behind these words. Aragorn asks the deadly accurate elf to shoot a warning shot - Aragorn warns these men, I guess, to turn back. Seems that he will not give this choice to many - or any - later. With a little help from Gimli, Legolas’s arrow goes amiss and ‘kills’ our dear PJ, who demonstrates that acting is not as easy at it looks. Gimli, obviously, wants a fight, and prepares to board the ships amongst so much laughter.

The captain sets up Aragorn for a truly inspired line, “This army,” and as our new King of the Dead speaks, the army of the dead rush the ships.

The wind of fortune may be a’changing.
I like how this scene opens - the Three Hunters standing tall and defiant, but then it goes downhill quickly, with some rather inappropriate humour about killing from Gimli and a rather corny exchange between Aragorn and the captain.

The biggest problem I have overall, however, is that showing the undead rallying with Aragorn and taking over the ships completely ruins the surprise later - and unlike others, I thought the arrival of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli with a new army was a really brilliant moment.

Anyway, a nice summary, alatar. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
like alatar said why didnt any one shoot at the fell beasts ??? wouldent be nice to see a nazgul fall 15 hundred feet???

*edit:
am i the only one who would injoy seeing this ?

Last edited by FeRaL sHaDoW; 12-12-2006 at 10:20 PM.
FeRaL sHaDoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaL sHaDoW
*edit: am i the only one who would injoy seeing this ?
Apparently, well, yes. You might want to check out some air force flicks, such as Top Gun, or fantasy flicks such as Reign of Fire.

Or do the Nazgul burn up in the air when the One Ring falls into the Sammath Naur? We'll have to wait and see.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Or do the Nazgul burn up in the air when the One Ring falls into the Sammath Naur? We'll have to wait and see.
You mean Frodo and Sam win in the end? We got so close but now you've given the game away!!!!!!!

Last edited by alatar; 12-15-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
You mean Frodo and Sam win in the end? We got so close but now you've given the game away!!!!!!!
You're extrapolating way too far. The demise of the One Ring is a given; how it gets there and who survives to tell about it is a whole other story. Teaser: another main character bites it before the end of all things.