The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2007, 11:48 PM   #41
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Regarding casting choices, I think Alan Rickman would probably be a good choice for one of two possible roles, though there are problems with each:

-Thranduil, though he'd need a blond wig. I've tested one of Thranduil's lines (where he's sending the Dwarves off to their cells) by saying it in the best imitation of Rickman I could do, and I think it's pretty good. He could definitely pull off the personality aspect, but it's the visual part that needs work.

-The voice of Smaug. I believe he can do sarcasm quite well, and he's quite good at playing "arrogant bad guy" roles. Smaug would be right up his alley, though I'm not sure his voice carries the same kind of strength that a dragon would need.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:42 AM   #42
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
For Smaug, what about Jeremy Irons? Just the right sort of aristocratic drawling sneer.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:41 AM   #43
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Interesting developments! My read: the exec producer credit is usually taken by someone who oversees or owns some stake in a project, but isn't deeply involved in day-to-day production. In other words, that credit suggests strongly that Jackson won't direct.

All the information coming out right now -- and for the next few months -- should probably be taken with a grain of salt, but according to this Entertainment Weekly article, Jackson's manager is saying he definitely will not direct.

I'll bet you'll be able to get a good gauge of how hands-on Jackson will be by the director they ultimately select. I can't imagine some of the bigger name directors whose names are being slung about being willing to just come on as a workman to execute Jackson's vision. There'll be more of a partnership there if you hire, say, Sam Raimi, mark my words. A lesser-known protege, like Neill Blomkamp, the guy who was supposed to helm Halo, might indicate a more hands-on approach by Jackson.

The article implies that Jackson's writing team won't be directly involved either, which is good or bad depending on your point of view.

As far as content, I can't imagine they'll come up with a complete film from whole cloth of the time between TH and LotR, as some reports suggest. What is there to do? Show Bilbo using the ring to hide from neighbors?

I expect a beefed up Hobbit in two parts, with every off-screen action or backstory element you can imagine dramatized -- Smaug's original attack on Lonely Mountain as a prologue, maybe Gandalf retrieving the map and key from Thrain in the Necromancer's dungeons as a flashback somewhere, and so on. And of course battle sequences drawn out for maximum effect. There's plenty of material there for a couple of two hour films, I daresay, though I haven't read through The Hobbit in a while. This is a good excuse for a re-read!
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #44
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Anybody remember Marketsaw.com? A few weeks ago they predicted much of what became public a few days ago regarding Jackson and two more Middle-earth movies. They were mostly correct and time will tell if they were correct about the 3-D part of their story. Now here is the latest from that same site regarding Jackson, his schedule and directing THE HOBBIT.

Quote:
We discussed a few things, primarily of course was "The Hobbit". We REMAIN STEADFAST that Jackson will direct The Hobbit. All indications were that he was to be super heavily involved and nothing has changed whatsoever.

What I have heard is that Jackson will wrap up "The Lovely Bones" with a nice bow and then turn around to Steven Spielberg and say that he cannot take the reins of Tintin until the third iteration. That is to say, Spielberg will work his magic for the first Tintin feature, Zemeckis (YES. Zemeckis is the name I heard!) will work his magic for the second and Jackson for the third. Aside from the potential shuffling of the pecking order of Tintin, each iteration will only take about 30 days of shooting and the rest would be post-production.

"District 9" from what I gather will be temporarily back-burnered.

By delaying "District 9" shuffling the "Tintin" order somewhat (but still maintaining his contractual obligations), Jackson frees up enough time to shoot two Hobbit movies back to back and still get another Oscar (or ten). And heck, even if he did Tintin right away - it is a relatively fast shoot.

There is simply FAR too much at stake to risk placing another Director in that chair. Jackson's credibility is on the line here bigtime. The Hobbit must not fail. If he screws up "The Hobbit" by hiring a figurehead Director who is torn between his own vision and that of the Overlord Producer - thats whats gonna happen! Jackson knows that. He will take full responsibility for the success and helm it. He would probably fire ANY director that took the job anyway, just as he did with actor Ryan Gosling. Its gotta be a perfect duo of movies and nobody can do it better than the man himself. Again, he KNOWS that.

Look for the Zemeckis announcement that he is directing the second iteration of Tintin.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #45
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
<Artie Johnson mode=ON>Verrrrrrrry Interrreshtink.<Artie Johnson mode=OFF> (5 trivia points to the first person who can name what show that's from.) That would be good news indeed. Of course, before yesterday I'd never heard of Marketsaw, so I don't know whether their accuracy in the story heretofore is just a fluke, or if they are generally reliable. Very cool to watch events develop here.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #46
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in.

I accept checks, money orders, and Krugerrands.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #47
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm sorry, WCH, but the fine print in the disclaimer at the bottom of your trivia points explicitly says, "No cash value."
Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 AM   #48
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
sorry if someone's already mentioned it (I'm lazy) - but the hobbit story itself could easily be split into two films especially if you take into account the dealings of the White Council, some of which took place during the time of Bilbo's adventures. You know, when Gandalf kept bogging off and leaving Bilbo to rescue the Dwarves' all the time.

I always remember reading the Hobbit at School - and we kept wondering where Gandalf was going. Also, I would love it if Gandalf used the term 'I don't give a toss' in the film - I remember the titters it gave us young English Literature students when we read that bit out loud!

I'd love to see the arguments and wranglings between Gandalf and Saruman etc. and of course possibly the 'back story' of Gandalf getting the key and map etc

PS anyon reckon if we're going to have a talking bird? I think they'll HAVE to have Smaug talking (or there will be MUCH grinding of teeth!) - But that thrush having a chat? mmmmmm not sure!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:00 AM   #49
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
What is there to do? Show Bilbo using the ring to hide from neighbors?
~ Mister Underhill

Hee hee, they'll have to call it: "The Sackville-Bagginses Chronicles: At Bilbo's Wits End"

Quote:
I've tested one of Thranduil's lines (where he's sending the Dwarves off to their cells) by saying it in the best imitation of Rickman I could do, and I think it's pretty good. He could definitely pull off the personality aspect, but it's the visual part that needs work.
~ Meneltarmacil

First of all, that is brilliant.
I'll have to agree though, he would make a formitable Thranduil, and it is about time he recieved a different role than what he usually has. As visually, hrmm. Possibly he could work, facial wise more than likely, it just goes with the identity of his style. The other things to change are quite simple, if makeup artists use their magic to transform Hugo Weaving into Elrond (Whom I usually identified as the infamous 'Mitzy'), I definately think they can make an amazing Thranduil out of Rickman.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:31 AM   #50
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Alan Rickman's too old for Thranduil. I've seen him in the Harry Potter film and all that make-up isn't fully covering up his age. How about David Bowie?(He wanted to play Elrond in LOTR.)

And how about letting Bernard Hill(Theoden) play one of the Dwarves? He's a great actor but he rarely gets any good roles. He deserves more fame.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:35 AM   #51
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
David Bowie's getting on a bit too, though, isn't he?
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:42 AM   #52
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
No one seems to have speculated yet on what might be the most thrilling appearance of them all.

What cameo do you think Peter Jackson will choose for himself? Hobbit or dwarf? Or will he put his kids into the movie/s? Laketown children perhaps?
Old 12-23-2007, 02:53 AM   #53
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post

What cameo do you think Peter Jackson will choose for himself?
Master of Laketown. No acting required.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:06 AM   #54
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
What cameo do you think Peter Jackson will choose for himself? Hobbit or dwarf? Or will he put his kids into the movie/s? Laketown children perhaps?
PJ = Lonely Mountain dwarf caught in Smaug's attack. You heard it here first!
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #55
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

In the speculation and debate about Jackson not having enough time to do more than just lend his name to the two pics,, here is something which could be good news for the pro Jackson lobby. It seems that one of the big obstacles preventing Jackson from directing is his obligation to Steven Spielberg to direct a TIN TIN pic. But now it looks like Spielberg is filling up his own schedule with lots of work other than whatever the heck a tintin is.

from Variety..

Quote:
Could "The Trial of the Chicago Seven" be Steven Spielberg's next picture?
Spielberg has been developing the DreamWorks project, about anti-Vietnam War activists arrested at the 1968 Democratic Convention, for some time. Now it looks as if he has found his hippie ringleader.

British thesp Sacha Baron Cohen, who just came off a role in DreamWorks' "Sweeney Todd," has been attached to play Abbie Hoffman in the pic, according to a report in London's Sunday Times.

A rep for Spielberg would neither confirm nor deny the report.

DreamWorks inked a deal with Aaron Sorkin to write the script for the project in July. Spielberg is producing alongside Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald.

"Chicago Seven" is not without competition for Spielberg's attentions.

He also has a project about Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War in the works. That project has a script and leading thesp in the bag.

Tony Kushner, the "Angels in America" playwright who rewrote Eric Roth's script for "Munich," has delivered the script, based on a Doris Kearns Goodwin book, and Liam Neeson is attached to play Lincoln.

Spielberg is also lined up to direct one of the 3-D toons in the "Tintin" trilogy, which is being produced by Spielberg, Peter Jackson and Kathleen Kennedy. Jackson will also helm one of the pics, the first of which is skedded to begin principal photography in September.
-----------------------------------------------------------
My own two cents --- I would really love to see Spielberg direct both LINCOLN and CHICAGO 7 and Jackson the HOBBIT. Forget about tincan or whatever it is.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #56
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
But now it looks like Spielberg is filling up his own schedule with lots of work other than whatever the heck a tintin is.
Il est un journaliste et aventurier, avec son chien Milou ('Snowy' in english versions). Plus, Captain Haddock as well.
He's the main character from the graphic novel series by Herge (George Remi, a Belgian artists). It's pretty big, and has been for the past 70 years.

Ugh, I completely forgot PJ was working on Tintin! I am so torn now...

Though, Tintin has been made into films before. There has even been whole television series in a slew of countries, the latest I believe was Canada (only because I watched it as a little whelp). So, this won't be the first exactly.

Hmm, well, I think I'd rather see PJ working on The Hobbit, just to save it from the complete mayhem and disaster that could be risked without him.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #57
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Demise of New Line?

This was posted on the OneRing.net that took it from IMBd, which apparently took it from a blog. If this is true (and who knows if it is), I'm not sure what difference it will make in the production of the Hobbit. Has anyone heard anything else about this?

Quote:
Golden Parachutes for New Line Founders?

Following a planned meeting this week with new Time Warner Chairman Jeff Bewkes, New Line Cinema founders Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne are expected to be terminated and New Line's projects, including The Hobbit, folded into Warner Bros., L.A. Weekly columnist Nikki Finke reported on her Deadline Hollywood Daily blog Monday, citing no sources. With the exception of last year's Hairspray, New Line has had a nearly uninterrupted string of financial failures since its Lord of the Rings franchise ran out.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:14 AM   #58
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
No, I haven't heard anything apart from the rumour, Child of the 7th Age. But if it's true, I have to say New Line had it coming. Before LOTR, they were a second-rate studio helming endless horror flick rehashes(Friday the Thirteenth, Elm Street series etc.) and most of the work they've done after LOTR is of the same caliber. With LOTR's popularity they had the chance to make it into the 'Big Studio' league and blew it with crap like Freddy vs. Jason and the Golden Compass.

And I doubt this will affect the production of The Hobbit. It's too much of a cash cow for Warner Bros. And Peter's made himself some powerful friends(Harry Sloan, anyone?), so he won't have to worry about getting sh*tcanned, either.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #59
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If this is true, it will be major news. New Line has only itself to blame as zxcvbn has wisely observed. Shaye took a once in a lifetime opportunity with NL poised on the brink of being a real major studio and completely reversed their fortunes with it. One bad decision, one bad movie after another. And his own Last Wimzy probably the mostinglorious achievement of them all.

I wonder if this will cause even a short delay in the 2 ME films?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #60
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Here is another link on the "firing" of Shaye and Lynne: http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...wed-by-bewkes/
Old 01-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #61
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

theonering.net is now reporting that they have gotten an email from New Line denying any thruth to the reports that Shay is being fired or HOBBIT is going to be under the Warner label.