The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2003, 04:01 PM   #1
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Who Should Have Played Tom Bombadil?

Everyone has their own image of Tom Bombadil, but there are a few things that are set in stone by the text. Based on those holy words describing Tom, who would you choose to play him, if Jackson had fit him into The Fellowship?<P>"He was a short, stout Man, with blue eyes, a red face and a brown beard. He wore a blue coat, a tall battered hat with a blue feather, and yellow boots. Always singing or speaking in rhymes..." [from A Guide To Tolkien, by David Day]<P>Robin Williams came to my mind. Have you seen him grin? Of course, people might not like that idea...
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:11 PM   #2
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Williams certainly has the blue eyes, but I'd be partial to Richard Karn, he's got the physique <P>(He's the guy who played Al Borland on Home Improvement)

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 09:53 PM   #3
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Robin Williams has got the blue eyes and the huge grin, but I don't know about Richard Karn. He isn't...cheery enough, I think. I can't think of a good enough actor to portray Tom Bombadil.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:02 PM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
William Shatner.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:56 AM   #5
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

How about Sean Connery? OK, no brown beard, and he's quite old, but I could see him doing it.
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 01:07 AM   #6
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Brian Blessed would have been perfect for Tom Bombadil in my opinion.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:41 AM   #7
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What about the guy playing the title role in "Willow"?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:14 AM   #8
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Warwick Davis? Also Professor Flitwick in Harry Potter, which kind of ruins the image for me.<P>I still stick by my decision for John Rhys Davies. If he hadn't played Gimli, that is.<BR>Heck, he could do every role. A one-man show.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:36 AM   #9
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sorry for the rather limited choice (I don't some of the actors mentioned!), but Sean Connery would make a great voice actor for Old Man Willow.<P>Robin Williams would make a good Bombadil as well, though the chioce seems predictable.<P>How about Goldberry?
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:41 AM   #10
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ummm...I would have probably cast Keira Knightley as Goldberry, or maybe Kirsten Dunst.<P>Sean Connery's not that old - he's only about 60, and he still makes action movies (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The League of Extraordinary Gentleman as examples) so I don't see why he couldn't play Tom Bombadil. And I suppose there's always hair dye or stick-on beards to make him look right for the role...
Old 08-18-2003, 08:47 AM   #11
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Connery is too "serious" for a role like Bombadil. I keep hearing that he was offered a part in the trilogy, but refused because he didn't understand it Too bad. He woulda been a great Denethor, Saruman or Theoden.<P>EDIT: On second thought, no not Theoden. Would have been odd for him to have a scottish accent while the rest of his people had british ones <p>[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: Shy Hobbit ]

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:56 AM   #12
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know this sounds rather weird, but I would have liked to try my hand at the role of Goldberry, and I don't think I would have done too badly. Well, not in my eyes, but then we all have different ideas about her character and appearance.<BR>I think Diane Kruger has the right look for Goldberry. Or perhaps someone light and golden as Cate Blanchett was as Galadriel in the gift-giving scene. I could see her, perhaps a bit younger, as Goldberry.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:06 PM   #13
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Hooray for the Brian Blessed suggestion!<P>I personally think that the character of Bombadil is utterly un-filmable (hence my earlier Shatner suggestion), but having suspended my disbelief, I think Brian Blessed would have been pretty good for the part nonetheless.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:11 PM   #14
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Absolutely Brian Blessed! Only they'd need to find a way to make him seem lighter and bouncier, but he's jovial enough, that's for sure! Take a look...<BR><A HREF="http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/225000/images/_229119_blessed.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Brian Blessed</A><BR>Good suggestion!
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:26 PM   #15
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
1420!

Lush, <BR>I think Shatner would be more suited to portraying Tim Benzedrine from 'Bored of the Rings', judging from his singing career anyway!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:35 PM   #16
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Oh my god Grimbold!!!!<P>Thats the exact image I have of Tom!!<P>Hes vary woodsey and vary bright faced. I swear thats the face in my head!!<P>Now if I could just hear his voice. It kinda booms in my head.<P>Hey Tom Bombbbadill Ho Tom Bombbadillo. Not deep but big.<P>But who plays Goldberry?<p>[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Eruantalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:46 PM   #17
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I think Brian has the right voice, too.
How did it come to this?
Old 08-18-2003, 06:59 PM   #18
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Sting

Definitly Brian Blessed for Ol' Tom! That's just how I imagined him! Give him the hat, coat and trademark boots and that man IS Bombadil!<P>As for Goldberry, I think she would be harder to cast. I don't know if they would be able to find someone with the young yet wise and mysterious look. I think, if Cate Blanchette had not been playing Galadriel I would have said she could be Goldberry.<BR>But, I really don't know. It's late here and my mind is a lot slower when I'm tired, so any hope of coming up with an impressive suggestion died a long time ago!<P>Yours hopelessly,<P>~Naurwen
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:23 PM   #19
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Sean Connery couldn't do it for the same reason he couldn't be Gandalf! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Ish it shecret? Ish it shafe?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I've never heard of Brian Blessed, but he certianly <I>looks</I> the part.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:40 AM   #20
Rilarien884
Pile O'Bones

Rilarien884 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Rilarien884 Send a message via AIM to Rilarien884
Sting

I dont know. I kind of thought that Oliver Platt would make a good Tom. Even thought he is tall, he's kinda of got the personality.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:05 PM   #21
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe like most of you that Robin Williams would have made a great Tom, but David Attenborough has a twinkle in his eyes that would place him in number one position for the role.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:07 PM   #22
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Mae Govannen, Samrohan! "O happy to be dead!"<P>Welcome to the Downs, Rilarien884! I <I>love</I> your name.<P> <P><B>Frodo Lives!</B> <I>Revive the slogan!</I><p>[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 12:36 AM   #23
Rilarien884
Pile O'Bones

Rilarien884 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Rilarien884 Send a message via AIM to Rilarien884
Sting

Thanks Arwen Eruantale...you're the first person to comment
Old 08-21-2003, 09:28 AM   #24
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not sure of Brian Blessed. What about the guy who played "Lawrence of Arabia"? I forgot his name but he had been given an honorary Oscar. He's quite old, though.<P>OR Tom Hanks?<P>As for Goldberry, why not Nicole Kidman? She's got great golden hair and is very good in acting. <P>p.s. and if Nicole is Goldberry, why not cast Tom Cruise as Tom Bombadil? hee hee hee... NAH.
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Finiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 11:03 AM   #25
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

WOW. Brian Blessed IS Bombadil! And as for Goldberry, I don't know...
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:51 PM   #26
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

Tom Hanks? Nicole Kidman? Uhhh...NOOO...<BR>Have you hit your head?
How did it come to this?
Old 08-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #27
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The idea of Brian Blessed as ol' Tom Bombadillo really is very amusing. He certainly <I>looks</I> the part and would be great with all the joviality and bellowing out those songs (can he sing though?). But I really do think he would portray the buffoon side of Tom to the exclusion of the ageless wisdom beneath. No offence to Mr Blessed, who I think is great, but that's just the way he plays parts. Just look at him as the leader of the winged men in <I>Flash</I>.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Gordon's alive? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Here's one a bit off the wall. How about the Big Yin, Billy Connolly (a Scottish comedian for those who don't know him)? He certainly looks the part too. And he'd be great with the nonsense rhyme, but he'd be better at getting across the depth of the character, I think.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:09 AM   #28
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hahaha! yeah just messin' around with the tom hanks idea. well, if you don't like nicole why not penelope cruz? hee hee hee<P>was it mentioned in the book the color of goldberry's hair?<P>i think jennifer connely can be a great black-haired goldberry. she's got grace and inner beauty. hey! she should've been casted in the movie! she can be a great elf, too!<P>as for tom bombadil...he acts like santa claus, except for the appearance ( the outfit).
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Finiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:39 PM   #29
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What a question! I think that Tom Bombadil is literally unplayable and anyone PJ had chosen wouldn't satisfy anyone. And it would be so hard to stop him looking like a raving lunatic (Tom, that is. We all know about PJ... okay, just kidding).<P>But Robin Williams... no, just can't picture it. And I can't see Sean Conner (James Bond, no?) leaping around in yellow boots. But David Attenborough? Intriguing...
Old 09-13-2003, 08:34 PM   #30
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Believe it or not, I always thought that Ian McKellen could have pulled off a Tom Bombadil! I kind of thought the voice, if less gravely and more light and merry (kind of like when Gandalf says "Ah, s'that way!" in Moria) could be good for Tom.<P>Also, if you've seen Peter Jackson's rehearsal of the Bag End stuff on the FotR EE, you can see that PJ is an okay actor, and would have possibly been able to act loony enough to be Tom.<P>But you'll notice, all the debate about who would be best, you can see how hard it was for Peter Jackson to decide.<P>Naurwen_of_Lothlorien, I just love your avatar - "Do the wave"!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:40 PM   #31
Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Haunting Spirit

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess
Eye

yep...robin williams
Old 09-24-2003, 12:52 AM   #32
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Had Robin Williams been an old man, then maybe yes, he has the correct glint in his eyes for the role. But the role of Tom would have to be played by a man of minimum 60 years old as Tom is supposedly ageless...
Old 09-24-2003, 01:50 AM   #33
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Daisy Brambleburr actually.