The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2003, 01:05 PM   #1
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Legolas Syndrome

Legolas seems to be one of the most talked about characters in these fora, although he is merely (gasp!) a supporting character in the books and in the movies. Take some time here and express your feelings about Orlando Bloo...er...the Prince of Mirkwood, whether you are a screaming fan girl, a Legolas-hater or a disgruntled Tolkienite, dismayed at his portrayal in Peter Jackson's films. I personally love Legolas's role in the books and harbor no ill-will to movie-Legolas. No dark fantasies about dismembering Orlando Bloom here. Your thoughts?

If you want, you can write a poem about him. Try to succeed where I have failed and make your posts humorous.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
Forest Walker
Animated Skeleton

Forest Walker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Forest Walker
Sting

if i must look at one more drooling legolass fangirl they will have to lock me up in a big room with rubber walls. I have nothing against the character, but please! too much is too much!
Forest Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 01:40 PM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orli is a great guy, he does a great job in Lotr, and I think of him as other characters as well.
Legolas is very nice, very elegant, and would be better off as a brunette.

Legolas Bloom
Sat in his room
Eating some curds and whey
Along came a spider, who said
"Hey! Get out of Mirkwood! It's mine!"
And off he went
Down the long and winding road
Till lo! he was spent
And he almost ate a toad
So he came to Imladris,
Gave the party a miss,
And went to the Council instead.

Here endeth the poem and beginneth the story of Legolas Bloom the elven actor.

(Where the heck did that come from?? I must be more ill than I thought.)
Old 09-03-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

*applauds Meela's kewl little poem* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

My opinion on Legolas... He's pretty cool. PJ gave him a pretty cool look in the Movies (I've got my hair in Legolas-braids right now). He's a great archer, which I think is amazing (I'm bad at archery...). Honestly though, I'm so sick of listening to the Nazgirls and Leggie-boppers going on and on about how hot "that blond elf guy"/"Leggie" is. (they don't even know his name half the time; how pathetic is that?)

My two cents... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-03-2003, 03:16 PM   #5
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

LOL- Meela, that was brilliant!

The problem I have with Leggy/Mr Bloom is really quite a common one. It's simply that wherever I go - there he is. Not only on LOTR sites, folks, but also on random yahoo pages, google searches on the subject of my my thesis paper (escapism that is), X files forums, even Elijah Wood sites, for crying out loud. The madness really needs to stop - either I'm gonna start hating the guy or I'm gonna develop a crush on him myself. But then I'd be an outcast anyway, cause I can't speak the fangirls' language. Sorry for the seemingly endless rant - I just needed to get this off my back [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] . Thanks for bearing with me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2003, 03:43 PM   #6
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i like both orlando bloom and legolas. I dont really have a problem with leggyboppers because whenever i mention LOTR in my school all i get is blank stares or "I bet you like that hot elf guy, what's his name? Orlando Blue?" but oh well.

~merenwen~
Old 09-03-2003, 04:30 PM   #7
Elwen_starmaiden
Animated Skeleton

Elwen_starmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elwen_starmaiden
Silmaril

I feel the same as Evisse the Blue, I actually do like him, but I swear ppl have gone too far! Its gotten to a point where I might possibly skip his movies in theatres because of the fanclubs! At least I like the movies for the stories, not him (he's just an added bonus) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Maybe I should cool it on the OB craze so I don't turn into one of them zombies. Plus my mom keeps calling him Legoland which makes me want to kick her [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #8
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Legolas is an interesting character...
A supporting character yes, but nessesary.
For one, Tolkien hasn't spent much time describing his character, so he comes off as very mysterious. We know he is the prince of Mirkwood, but the Mirkwood elves are strange and unknown, I am trying to descover some of their more detailed history in the Silmarillion and the Unfinished tales, looking for clues and information on the king and his people. So since there lacks information on them, we don't know how old Legolas is, who his mother is, whether or not he has siblings...etc.
So we don't really know this character, except that he's an elf, and a cool one at that. He's kind of on the same level as the dwarves, you don't know much about them, but they're there and very cool.
Picking on the movies a little, I think that even though they did a good job in keeping Legolas mysterious, they did make him of a showoff. The archery for one, and the mounting on the horse and the slidding down stone steps. You all know what I'm talking about.
My opinions on Orlando Bloom himself are that he's an attractive member of the cast and because of all his cool stunts he brings a audience of Nazgirls to the theaters, a marketing scheme of the producers no doubt. At least he, in my opinion, is a really good actor, not just a pretty face.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:09 PM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Right! What she said!

I number myself among the minority who actually truly enjoyed Legolas' character in the movies and Orlando Bloom's acting. I think that man did a wonderful job, considering this was his first movie! He brought an element of mystery into the movie, since no one has seen him before in movies, and thus, we don't really know his acting style.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:45 PM   #10
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually it was Orlanod's second movie, but it was his first big role. I enjoyed his acting also, although I think Legolas's role could have been expanded and his personality be taken beyond that of a noble, cocky Elven Prince. I don't think he was trying to show off in any of those scenes, although Peter Jackson surely was trying to show him off [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. I think he just did those 'stunts' because he had the ability to do them and because they advanced the group cause, similar to in the books where he walks over the snow of Caradhras without falling through in order to scout for the Fellowship. The horse-jumping scene was one of my favorite for sheer excitement when I saw the movie in the theaters. Why make the horse stop to mount it when you face the onslaugh of a pack of wargs? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2003, 08:10 PM   #11
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

I don't mind Legover, erm, I mean Legolas, but I think his character was blown way out of proportion by rabid fangirls. *dips spke in urple paint* but I'm ready if any try to pelt me with reasons why I shouldn't have said that [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2003, 09:59 PM   #12
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I live with a Legolas fan girl, but I am certainly not one. I don't really pay much attention to Legolas in the books, and his portrayal in the films is fine for a supporting charater. Talking about Orlando Bloom though, I personally do think that he looks good (though he more hansome to me in POTC), but that is just because I am a 17 year old girl. But I don't go crazy over him. I think the whole infatuation with Orlando by teenage girls is crazy, and I don't even think that Orlando realizes how insane it is. Whenever I have said that I have met actors from the LOTR, everyone always asks me first if I had met Orlando, and that is kind of annoying, because he is not really the most important charater in the film, and I wish people would pay more attention to the other people who just happen to have bigger, more important roles.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:31 AM   #13
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One of my best friends is a Leggybopper, and it makes me die a little inside. For example, her name on MSN chat is (or was, rather) "Orlando_bloom_2_die_for"

Whenever I bring up the subject of Lord of the Rings or Pirates of the Caribbean, she says, "Oh, yeah! And Orlando Bloom! Blah blah blah blah blah!"

In an evil mood, I told her that Legolas dies horribly at the end of Return of the King. She's too lazy to read the books, so she believed me, and my other friend, whom I had conspired with ( and who is NOT a Leggybopper, thank Eru) backed me up. Now when we go to see it, at the end when Legolas does NOT die, I'm going to act outraged and say "What?!? What the heck is going on? Legolas is supposed to die! Death by orc! DEATH BY ORC!" I wonder how long I can keep it up for...
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:26 PM   #14
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Book Legolas - yay! Fun! Strong! Witty! Great Archery! Great character!
Movie Legolas/Orlando Bloom - Good acting, but some stupid lines. "A red sun rises, blood has been spilt this night." Righty-o...
Leggyboppers - Should all be cruelly punished using the slow torture methods I spend my spare time thinking up.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:41 PM   #15
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Quote:
Leggyboppers - Should all be cruelly punished using the slow torture methods I spend my spare time thinking up.
You could just get them to write fan fic then send them to Miss Cam... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

I didn't much care for Legolas in the movie, I agree that his lines were a bit... odd. And some were just blaringly obvious.

The book Legolas was a bit better, and wasn't blown out of proportion as he's just a supporting character.

Oh yes, spikes also work very well.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:55 PM   #16
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Meela, your poem is terrific.

I love this topic! I am not a Fan Girl but I do love the Legolas character in the book; as I love all the members of the Fellowship.

Look at the Essay Contest here on the BDs for my take on Legolas.

As for Orlando Bloom, I always appreciate when they cast good looking men in the movies. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I liked his blonde/blue eyed Legolas look and I like him even better with his normal brown hair/brown eyes. Plus he shoots a mean arrow! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2003, 01:36 PM   #17
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Quote:
I've always been curious to why he has such a massive following.
Me too, Dynaviir! I can't understand it. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Book Legolas: Great character, love him to death.

Movie Leggy/Orlando Bloom: Yuck. If I were to start hating LotR tomorrow, he would be why. I at least avoid movies because of him.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 04:18 PM   #18
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Fun fact: Do you know how many sites dedicated to Orlando/Legolas (I don't really think the legolasses make any differerence between the two) are there on the net? 377 000.
(before anyone asks me, no - I did not make a search myself, they said so in a talkshow. The poor guy was terrified when they told him - [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 04, 2003: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]
Old 09-05-2003, 04:45 PM   #19
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Man, it's amazing how 1 supporting actor can make such a huge splash his first time in the water. That's the best way to start out an acting career. I mean, look at all everyone's favorite actors and actresses, a lot of them started out being a minor heart throb with large groups of loyal fans. I'm thinking Harrison Ford, Leonardo, George Clooney and all them amazing guys.
Quote:
In an evil mood, I told her that Legolas dies horribly at the end of Return of the King.
Horse girl, that's a hilarious idea, I'm gonna do that to all my most annoying frineds.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 08:45 AM   #20
Feared Half-Elf
Wight

Feared Half-Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally, I'm a huge Legolas fan. I really liked him in the books, and the fact that he's good-looking in the films is a bonus. I suppose there is only too far you can go, and all the screaming fangirls have gone too far. He's cool, I mean, he's a kinsman to me, so of course I'm gonna like him!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feared Half-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 09:18 AM   #21
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally, I can see why fangirls go for Mr. Bloom, but he just doesn't trip my trigger at all! There are times when he is interesting to look at, such as the times his eyes reflect a supressed emotion or intensity (gotta give him credit for that!), but I rather think of his looks as something to be overcome than something to be flaunted.

Legolas, on the other hand (see how I neatly separate this Bloomin' "Leggy" character from the noble Prince of Mirkwood? ) is a wonderful and understated character. I think it is interesting that the fact that he is the son of a King is completely downplayed and he himself does not make a thing of it. Far from being a "stuck up elf" Legolas is one of the most humble Elves I know of! It is too bad that this "Leggy syndrome" has arisen, because it does not fit with the Legolas character in the slightest IMO. The thing that irritates me is when someone calls him a stuck up elf or implies that he may have "I'm too pretty to be seen with these dirty people" sentiments, because that is SO not Legolas and appears to be an unfortunate offshoot from this Leggybopper thing. OK, I suppose that's enough of my rant; thanks for your indulgence! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta

[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:09 AM   #22
Forest Walker
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Quote:
In an evil mood, I told her that Legolas dies horribly at the end of Return of the King. She's too lazy to read the books, so she believed me, and my other friend, whom I had conspired with ( and who is NOT a Leggybopper, thank Eru) backed me up. Now when we go to see it, at the end when Legolas does NOT die, I'm going to act outraged and say "What?!? What the heck is going on? Legolas is supposed to die! Death by orc! DEATH BY ORC!" I wonder how long I can keep it up for...
lol!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sadly the people i know that have (or had, one's cooled down now) the legolas-sickness have all read the books. I would have loved to do that to one of them! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I think the legolas in the books is alright. In the movies, he just seems to be there to see far-off things and make strange remarks "red sun rises"......suuuure
Old 09-06-2003, 10:46 AM   #23
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
I've always been curious to why he has such a massive following.
Okay, since nobody else has taken the bait on this question, I will give it my best shot.

Let's get the obvious out of the way. He's cute/handsome/attractive (pick one.) He's tall, slender, lithe, leonine, a capable warrior, etc etc. So much for the physical. But there's more than one of those out there, so still one may ask, why LegOrly?

Consider the following list:

Gentleness
Kindness
Faithfulness
Self-Control
Peacefulness
Patience
Loyalty (see Faithfulness)

Consider list number 2:

As princes go, he's not eactly arrogant or power-pushy
As elves go, he's remarkably approachable
As comrades go, he seems very easy to get along with (who besides Gimli ever really argues with Legolas, aside from his Helm's Deep argument with Aragorn?)
As Warriors go, he's able to count corpses with a laugh and smile and a sparkle in his eye
He's cool-headed under pressure, yet shoots with deadly accuracy
He is at once valiant and dangerous to an enemy, and yet completely safe and non-threatening to an ally (rather important these days to a number of females who have been victimized by someone they should have been able to trust.)
He doesn't have a problem with his temper.
He doesn't have a sharp tongue.
He doesn't enjoy handing out criticism.
He doesn't avoid emotion, or scorn it (consider his gentle response to Gimli's grief at leaving Galadriel.)

Now my point is, what girl wouldn't want a loyal, gentle, kind, non-threatening, non-argumentative, powerful man like that if he was available?

In short, he is very, very, very safe. LegOrly will probably never hurt you unless you switch over to The Dark Side. Wouldn't you want him as an ally? I would. What girl hasn't at some point in time created a dream-partner remarkably like what I've just described?

Once you have that: gentlesness, kindness, sensitivity, safety, loyalty, valor and reliability-- being ethereally gorgeous probably doesn't detract much, and may even add considerable appeal.

I should probably finish my post by firmly stating that given a free choice, I prefer Book-Frodo, myself. But considering the above lists, I can certainly understand why so many females find LegOrly so very extremely appealing. If I were still a teenager, who knows what my reaction to him might have been?
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:12 AM   #24
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I don't understand the big wave of Orlando/Legolas fans that have arisen. I personally prefer hobbits over Elves any day. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] But on some LOTR role-play sites I've joined, (haven't gotten to trying the Barrow-downs ones) half the girls roleplay as a female Elven warrior who also just so happens to be Legolas' long lost sister, cousin, or his girlfriend. It makes me want to vomit. Okay, maybe vomit is too strong of a word. But I'm one of the few that have made up a character on those sites that actually has nothing at all to do with any of Tolkien's. Besides, I dun think Legolas would particularly enjoy having 20+ sisters. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I know I wouldn't.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:19 AM   #25
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Now my point is, what girl wouldn't want a loyal, gentle, kind, non-threatening, non-argumentative, powerful man like that if he was available?
Good point, Linnamalle! "Non-threatening elf" reminds me of a magazine that Lisa Simpson used to read called "Non-threatening boys." Perhaps it is partially that way! And I'm right with you on the book-Frodo sentiment! One of my absolute favorites, along with book-Pippin! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta (hobbit fancier and not ashamed to say so...but also fancies the Elves of old, viz. Maedhros and Finrod and let's face it, Fëanor too! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:43 AM   #26
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

I have a hard time deciding if someone is good looking unless I know someting about their personality. Personality really affects how I look at a person, much more then how "hot" they are. I can think that in one movie an actor looks great, and in another movie I don't want to look at them, because of the personality of the character that they play. To me the characters and the actors are separate people, but both real in a way.

I have confused myself a bit now, so I'll stop. Does this make any sense to you?
Old 09-06-2003, 02:12 PM   #27
Queen of all Violas

Sting

I think that he is the most liked person just because he has a really important part in the story. He kills many things and defends everyone. Who wouldn't like a guy that is both really cute and is cunning?
I know that i would
Old 09-06-2003, 04:45 PM   #28
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

So non threatening guys are the hot item these days?
What happened to the guys your mother used to warn you about? Lost their appeal, have they? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2003, 05:31 PM   #29
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Quote:
Well, that describes Sam pretty well, too. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
hobbit fancier and not ashamed to say so...but also fancies the Elves of old, viz. Maedhros and Finrod and let's face it, Fëanor too!
Right on, Lyta! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
To me the characters and the actors are separate people, but both real in a way.
It makes perfect sense, Elennar. I agree wiht you. So by rights the Orli fangirls and the Leggyboppers should be two different groups, but in my experience that is hardly the case.

Quote:
So non threatening guys are the hot item these days?
What happened to the guys your mother used to warn you about? Lost their appeal, have they?
I believe it's a matter of taste, Evisse. Either that or else people alternate in either opinions or crushes. (Threatening, non-threatening. Threatening, non-threatening.) Who knows, really.

I personally know only a few Legolas fangirls, and I'm not sure that the one I know well is rabid, exactly, even though she did have a Leggy-shrine in her room. I don't really have anything against the fact that someone likes Legolas (there are fangirls for every guy in LOTR, I'm convinced), but if they're all out Nazgirls or Leggy boppers (isn't that really the same thing?), then it gets old fast. faster than fast, if you take my meaning. I myself prefer it when people have uncommon tastes in LOTR men (Meela, for instance, or people who like the more uncommonly-worshipped Boromir, Nob, Sam [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] , Beregond [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] , Halbarad or the like).

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:06 PM   #30
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Silmaril

I think Orlando is very attractive as a brunette, but to be honest, I was never that much into the whole Legolas character. As wrong as it may sounds to all of you, it was actually my dad who liked him. We saw FOTR together, and he's like, 'Hey, Alysa, who was that elf guy? Man was he good with a bow! I mean he always had it ready. If one of those orc things came, he was just like, poom! And they were down...' and he was raving about Legolas all the way home.

I'm not a Leggybopper, but my daddy is...
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 09:12 PM   #31
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
What happened to the guys your mother used to warn you about? Lost their appeal, have they?
Heck no! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Well. I must say that movie Legolas is a gorgeous, gorgeous, GORGEOUS creature, but I agree about the stupid lines ("They run as if the very whips of their masters were behind them!" Suuure they do.) and whatnot, but I have to say: who would NOT want a gorgeous (gorgeous, gorgeous!), kindly, sensitive, and sophisticated guy WHO, on top of all that, can shoot a (in the words of another) mean arrow? I mean, that's the max factor. The elf is frigging perfect!!

~Horse-Maiden OTS, lover of all things hobbitish
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 03:47 PM   #32
Galenfea of Mirkwood.
Wight

Location: Road2Rivendell: 250miles (somewhere near Weathertop)
Galenfea of Mirkwood. has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I personally have nothing against Orlando Bloom, apart from the fact that wherever I go, I just have to say that my favorite character is Legolas to get inundated with accusations of fancying Orlando Bloom!
Please tell me there are other true Legolas fans out there!
Galenfea of Mirkwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:28 PM   #33
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Heck, yes.

Remember the old quote "There are guys you date and guys you marry?" The guys my mother used to warn me about, that I dated anyway, were by and large a waste of a perfectly good evening. In plain english: selfish arrogant bastards. The most profound pleasure obtained from the "relationships" (or lack thereof) with those "men" (or shadows thereof), was in dumping them, and good riddance.

On the other hand, tomorrow I celebrate 13 years of marriage to a magnificent man whose personality these days bears an ever-increasing resemblance to many of Legolas' more profound traits.

(Although his archery isn't as good, yet, nevertheless it's improving.)

But I digress from my point. Have the others lost their appeal? Uh-huh, as if they've sprouted mildew... or worse.

It goes without saying that Tolkien preferred virtue to vice.
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:36 AM   #34
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

I like orlando bloom as an actor. I was a Legolas fan long before the movies, but not a raving Leggy Lunatic. I am nutss already anyway. But I think that Orlando did a good job. That is it. I had t work with a Legols Orlando bloom fan and that was torture. ( actually I did most of the torture, teasing her and giving her elfvish words to figure out)

I saw his performence in Pirrets of the Caribian, and I liked it but I liked Johnny Depp better in that movie. ( I have liked Johnny Depp far longer anyway)

So am I a crazy Leggy person, I think not. Just an Depp fan.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:29 PM   #35
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
a disgruntled Tolkienite, dismayed at his portrayal in Peter Jackson's films.
Nope, I am not such a purist that I get angry at any portrayal srew-ups PJ may have committed on Legolas (did he committ any!?). & I also thought the shield sliding scene was cool. To those who think it's 'un-Tolkien-esque', remember, the movies have to be made to please a more modern audience. Remember Arwen being included (which isn't so bad after a while), & I think the stunt pales quite a bit compared to that. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 05:35 PM   #36
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My cousin is a Legolas-O-Meter (or Leg-O-Meter...?). My dad was showing us all RotK pictures he had burned onto a disk, & nobody had to look at the screen to know Leggy was up there-- Shannon squealed (or something like it..) whenever Leggy was up there...
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:30 PM   #37
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

The Most Annoying Thing that has happened to me in a while is that when I say that my two favorite movies are LotR and PotC, I am accused of being an Orli-fangirl, but, seriously, I can't help it that he's in the two best movies I've seen recently. (All the rest are older, and I've seen them so many times that I'm just a little tired of them, like The Mask of Zorro or The Princess Bride.(Notice something? all these movies involve swordfighting) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
Old 09-10-2003, 09:59 AM   #38
Forest Walker
Animated Skeleton

Sting

This is gonna be long, cause i haven't read this thread in a few days.

Quote:
half the girls roleplay as a female Elven warrior who also just so happens to be Legolas' long lost sister, cousin, or his girlfriend
oh god, I would hate that! Fortunately, the role-plays I'm in aren't like that!

Quote:
Maedhros and Finrod and let's face it, Fëanor too!
True, true. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
I have a hard time deciding if someone is good looking unless I know someting about their personality. Personality really affects how I look at a person, much more then how "hot" they are.
Yeah, same here (and I am a teenager)

Quote:
The Most Annoying Thing that has happened to me in a while is that when I say that my two favorite movies are LotR and PotC, I am accused of being an Orli-fangirl, but, seriously, I can't help it that he's in the two best movies I've seen recently.
Same here. But i am always quick to corect any missconceptions. I have a pic of legolas in my locker with a big X through it and the words "Drool-Free Zone" underneath it.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:02 AM   #39
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Same here. But i am always quick to corect any missconceptions. I have a pic of legolas in my locker with a big X through it and the words "Drool-Free Zone" underneath it.
Heh. Maybe you'll convert a few extremist legolas-lovers. Nothing wrong with liking him. Until you get way out of hand (like a ton of people have). [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:27 PM   #40
Elróthiel
Animated Skeleton

Location: Heaven, where Middle-earth and Zion are fused and all the guys are sexy beasts!
Elróthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK, I liked Legolas before the movies came out. He was my favorite character! Then the movies came out, and I liked him even more, because I could put a face to the character, and that face was cute!
Now, all over the place, I see people who hate the Elf, simply because of the preteens who can't keep their hormones under control. I find this insulting. Why should anyone hate a character or the actor who plays him simply because of a few million blithering idiots? I'll tell you why! It's because people don't want to be seen as one of those idiots. Reason: If they said that their favorite character was Legolas, then the person who was listening would automatically think, "This person is a rabid Legolas Fangirl"
The actual fact of the matter is: People can't seem to grasp the fact that you can be a Legolas fan without being a rabid fangirl. People's minds in this world are automatically set to "Stereotypical Mode" the moment they first learn how to talk.
This world is so damn corrupted! Why can't people just GET ALONG!?
What is everyone's damn PROBLEM!? Is it really that necessary to make someone's life a living hell just because of what she/he likes or believes in? Is it!? It seems to be in this world, and I want to see it changed!

Linnamalle, I agree with you completely!
And Evisse, I like threatening guys too! It simply depends on who I prefer more on that particular day. Non threatening guys are great, and threatening ones add thrill. That's why I'd love to see a sort of "fusion" between Legolas and Neo! (LOL!)
He would be both threatening and non threatening! There, is everyone happy now I've poured out my proverbial brain onto this site?
If anyone isn't, then reply, and tell me, and then I'll say exactly what I think.
Don't get me wrong. I'm usually very approachable, I'm just ****ed off today.
Namárie!
From
Elróthiel, the Elven Goddess of Hilariosity and Laughter Who Sees the Corruption of the World Today!