Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #1481
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
No problem, I'd prefer to write for Cnebba myself, so you can have him unless he protests...
No protests... I'll write something tomorrow for Stigend & co.

Quite a challenging situation you got Stigend in, Groin!

But that's appreciated!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #1482
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I should never promise anything definitive in the RPG's... It looks like everytime I make a definitive promise I'm forced to eat my words...

But my net-access failed yesterday and today I have been busy from early morning up to now - and it's bedtime. I'll come back to this "in a few days" (I hope that is vague enough). Sorry.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #1483
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Your turn Foley.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 AM   #1484
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
LMP, let me know if I've mishandled Eodwemer or if you want me to change some of his sayings to more "Old English-ish" form and I'll be happy to edit...

What is there to write anymore before we can move on to the actual wedding ceremony? Foley's reply to LMP and Nog's reply to Groin? Anything else?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:59 AM   #1485
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
LMP, let me know if I've mishandled Eodwemer or if you want me to change some of his sayings to more "Old English-ish" form and I'll be happy to edit...

What is there to write anymore before we can move on to the actual wedding ceremony? Foley's reply to LMP and Nog's reply to Groin? Anything else?
Great post, Lommy! I wouldn't change a thing.

And yes, I think you have the rights of it on what needs to happen now.

..... and then the riddle game!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #1486
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I'll try to have mine done today. Not that Stigend would know much about courting... but he needs to answer anyway.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #1487
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
I'll get my post up as soon as I have a spare moment. Not had many of those lately....
Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #1488
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

That's a looooong time not to have a spare moment.

It's been more than a week since someone posted. If someone doesn't post by the next time (at least a day) I have a chance to check, I'm going to do a summarizing post for the wedding, chase, dance, supper, riddles, and Day, all in one fell swoop. You have been warned.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #1489
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post

It's been more than a week since someone posted. If someone doesn't post by the next time (at least a day) I have a chance to check, I'm going to do a summarizing post for the wedding, chase, dance, supper, riddles, and Day, all in one fell swoop. You have been warned.
I'm finishing up my term paper tonight and then I get my Latin final test finished on Friday. After that I am all yours! I will get a post up for Erbrand, possibly tonight.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #1490
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It looks like Foley has just been delayed, nothing criminal in that, I should think.

And everybody else seems to be waiting for her.

As for my characters - it would be pointless to continue from where I left Modtryth before something happens, and I don't think there's anything in Cnebba's story that needs to be written, in fact, I think it's better as it is before Harreld talks with his parents.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #1491
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:

That's a bit hard way to handle this even if I can both understand and share your disapproval of the slow pace this thread has taken of late.

But it's after all a question of waiting for one post while we others have little to say that would make any sense or further the general plot.

Sure we could start building up new things and plotlines but those would then hinder the progress as we should have to wait for them to unfold before we can advance with this after Foley's post is in.

Oh and sorry, no pressure Foley!

But really, we're just in a sticky situation where Foley seemingly has a lot to do and unfortunately we need to wait for her to post before advancing.

Or could we use a "save" there and fill it afterwards and then get going with the storyline as planned.

The problem with at least me and Lommy is that our characters are such minor players in the story that they will not be naturally triggering new things - at least in a situation where everyone is waiting for certain things to happen. Were the future open to anything we might come up with we could bring in however silly ideas or new twists to disrupt the smooth going of things but now I'm afraid is not the time for it as we all wish to make this party together.

EDIT: (werewolf-style instinct) X'posted with Lommy... and agreed!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #1492
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
The problem with at least me and Lommy is that our characters are such minor players in the story that they will not be naturally triggering new things - at least in a situation where everyone is waiting for certain things to happen. Were the future open to anything we might come up with we could bring in however silly ideas or new twists to disrupt the smooth going of things but now I'm afraid is not the time for it as we all wish to make this party together.
Come now. You make it sound like an accident that your characters are not being put forward by their writers because "there's nothing to write at this point". Gobtwiddle I say! If you wanted to, you could come up with something.

But you all really do take me a bit too seriously sometimes....

I sort of never really intended to fulflil my threat. Actually, I would have written the post and then retracted it .... just for the fun of it. I was actually angling for a reaction, just to spark things up. You may all smooth your ruffled feathers now.....
Old 05-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #1493
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
To quote my favorite professor:

"I'm sorry! Love me?"

No, really, I haven't had a spare moment. I mean, no, I have. *scratches head* Just not a spare moment while on the computer. Even now I haven't a spare moment. I have to go to bed now.

The pressure is on, I know, even if you all didn't mean it. Tell you what, I promise to get up a post this Sunday, AT THE LATEST! I will strive hard to get one up sooner. Next time I'm tempted to watch a Hogan's Heros I will post something on the Meadhall thread first.

Bye!

-- Foley
Old 05-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #1494
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

vacation

The wife and I are off to Kentucky for a week's vacation and I do not foresee having computer access. I expect to be back Saturday night. Carry on!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #1495
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm back.

And I have double posted.

I am frankly astounded by that.

Maybe I shouldn't be.

Why has nothing happened in the last 7 days?

I'm beginning to think that no one is really interested in this and it might as well not continue.

So is this still worth the time and energy I'm putting into it?

If so, please prove it to me.

You know how.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #1496
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Did you remove your double post, because I don't see it?

And that is really very ungenerous of you to suggest the lack of interest. I DO understand your frustration, but at the same time I do wish you'd have more understanding for us poor college people who aren't out of school yet and happen to have some... never mind. Life's been hard, that's all.

I posted something. I wrote it last night, actually, between 12 and 12:30 a.m. Not a good thing, but it came to me then, and I didn't want to forget it. Have fun with it.

Did you and the Mrs. have fun, by the way? Kentucky is a beautiful place, I've driven through it a few times. Did you get to ride any horses? If I ever got to Kentucky, that's what I want to do.

-- Folwren
Old 05-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #1497
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I just read my post over and I realized that the ending might be a little misleading. I don't want any of y'all to get the impression that my post is starting the ceremony. The characters are simply getting ready, so everyone still has time before the wedding begins. Besides, I'm pretty sure LMP would like to be the one to start things.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #1498
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Lommy or Nogrod, I posted something for Javan and it requires a response from Cnebba and probably Garmund.

-- Folwren
Old 05-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #1499
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Lommy or Nogrod, I posted something for Javan and it requires a response from Cnebba and probably Garmund.
I hope Lommy could do it.

I have now a two weeks of utter chaos ahead of me. Like gazillions of things to do with no time to use on anything other than the next deadline: philosophy Olympiad -organisation for 150 people around the world starting on Thursday this week (and lasting for five days), the exam-week and reading the essays before May 28th, my daughter's (Lommy ) matriculation festivities, the renovation of the windows in our house (a block of flats), the teachers' band's rehearsals and performance in the end of the school-year, the end of the school-year festivities where I have a few roles in our school...

I will be able to post in the beginning of June the earliest I'm afraid. But then again, the summer is good time for me and I probably can be a lot more active than I can be during these last days of the spring-sememster.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #1500
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Why has nothing happened in the last 7 days?

I'm beginning to think that no one is really interested in this and it might as well not continue.

So is this still worth the time and energy I'm putting into it?

If so, please prove it to me.

You know how.
Maybe my earlier post already answered some of that from my part (this has been going on for the last few weeks already)

But come June / July I'm ready to write (and to plot) a lot more. Indeed a lot as I think I have a few ideas then - depending on your ideas lmp to be sure. But we should discuss them in a few weeks time as now I just have no time for any lengthier discussion.

I can see your frustration lmp but I just had no chance of writing anything last week even if I wanted to. Too much work. Like it always turns out to be in May.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #1501
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I meant that I had double posted on the discussion thread.

Yes, I was rather ungenerous. I suspected end of school year stuff. Sorry.

I may have a chance to post something tonight...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #1502
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Yes, I was rather ungenerous. I suspected end of school year stuff. Sorry.
And I'm sorry to have snapped at you. We'll call it even.

-- Foley
Old 05-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #1503
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Hey all,

I've been rather busy with studying for University entrance exams, preparing the aforementioned graduation party and having a new job so I had a good excuse not to post for my characters who were not involved in anything anymore.

Now Foley's changed the situation though and I promised her I'll post, so you'll be hearing from me hopefully already either today or tomorrow!

And like Noggie, I should have a lot more time in June.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #1504
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
And like Noggie, I should have a lot more time in June.
Whereas I will have a lot less time (to say the least) come June. I should probably ask Celuien how she managed back then...
Old 05-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #1505
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sorry for writing so little but I didn't want to be responsible for another fight so I figured a) Foley could continue and start the fight b) she could continue and come up with something else and be more creative than I am or c) we could just move on with the festivities before the kids get a chance to start quarreling.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #1506
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
And I'm sorry to have snapped at you. We'll call it even.

-- Foley
You shouldn't be sorry for calling a spade a spade. That's truth telling and I needed it. I prefer to be in your debt on this one.

I'll see what I can do in 20 minutes before yet another thing calls me away...
Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #1507
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

That was a nice, deft way to get to the wedding ceremony itself, Foley.

Now that we're there, I'm finding this to be a difficult thing to write. How do you want to go about it? Do you wany anything goofy to happen in the middle of it? If so we'll need to write the whole thing out complete with dialogue. Otherwise one of us could just narrate it.

Here's an option I just thought of: we could do a Discussion thread - built post where one of us starts out the event and posts it to the discussion thread, and whoever wants can continue it in another post. Question is, why do it that way and not just post straight to the story thread? My only thought is that it would be great for anybody to put in a line at any point in the script without feeling like they have to write at least two paragraphs or ask permission.

Thoughts?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #1508
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, first and foremost, I'd like to know if there was any interesting response from Rowenna to Thornden's last comment.

With my last post, I was just trying to avoid a fight. I took it just as far as Groin had in his last post.

I like the idea of building a Discussion Thread post. It would be hilarious if something funny happened in the middle of the ceremony, but if we did it spontaneously rather than sitting here and planning it to death it would be better still.

-- Folwren
Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #1509
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I like the idea of building a Discussion Thread post. It would be hilarious if something funny happened in the middle of the ceremony, but if we did it spontaneously rather than sitting here and planning it to death it would be better still.
Agreed. That way even I might stand a chance of putting something in between if there was a good chance for it. (Meaning: if I have a few moments to spare on the coming days I could just check the building of the narration and if coming up with nice ideas I could just drop a few lines in.)

I mean, Stigend isn't the obvious one to make a difference there, but the kids might intervene depending on how things turn out with them...
Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #1510
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, that's two votes in favor. Good enough for me. I'll start.
Rowenna's eyes widened in momentary surprise, then smiled in spite of herself at Thornden's compliment. "Thank you. I think the mood of the event has gotten in your veins, Thornden."
Who's next?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #1511
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Rowenna's eyes widened in momentary surprise, then smiled in spite of herself at Thornden's compliment. "Thank you. I think the mood of the event has gotten in your veins, Thornden."

He chose not take that to mean what it could conceivably mean and he only laughed. "I am very happy for lord Eodwine and lady Saeryn," he replied, and then they became quiet as they drew near the gathered people.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #1512
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

He chose not to take that to mean what it could conceivably mean and he only laughed. "I am very happy for lord Eodwine and lady Saeryn," he replied, and then they became quiet as they drew near the gathered people.

Randvér frowned, standing in the circle. Ginna pulled Harreld into the circle and stood beside her father. So the young woman stood between her father and the man she seemed to have chosen, giving Randvér much opportunity to glance sidewise at his prospective son in law. He was a big man! And seemingly gentle. But the rite was about to begin.

Eodwine and Thornden came into the circle, dressed in their finest, and took their places at the center of the circle. The people quieted and craned their necks to see if they could catch a glimpse of the bride and bride's maid who waited outside the circle.

Then the old man visitor, the one called Eodwemer, stepped out of the crowd and stood before the bride and groom.

"Folk of Scarburg," he said, "your lord Eodwine has asked me to guide the rite. He thinks that my length of years have given me wisdom." The old man chuckled at the notion. "In any case, I am honored and will do my best to honor his choice."

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-29-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #1513
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm leaving this evening for staff training for summer camp. I will be back Friday afternoon sometime.

I am also working at camp the next two weeks, and two more weeks in the summer. On the weeks I am gone, I will be leaving on Sunday afternoons and coming back late Friday afternoon.

Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up.

If no one adds to the post by the time I leave, I will add a little bit for one of my characters.

-- Folwren
Old 05-29-2009, 04:57 AM   #1514
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

post # 1410 has the rite bullet point by bullet point. I've already blown following that, so I intend to fix it. I'd quote or link post # 1410 to this post but this breakroom computer can't do it.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #1515
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm back for the weekend. Once Elempi re-posts, I'll write something.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:24 PM   #1516
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

He chose not to take that to mean what it could conceivably mean and he only laughed. "I am very happy for lord Eodwine and lady Saeryn," he replied, and then they became quiet as they drew near the gathered people.

Randvér frowned, standing in the circle. Ginna pulled Harreld into the circle and stood beside her father. So the young woman stood between her father and the man she seemed to have chosen, giving Randvér much opportunity to glance sidewise at his prospective son in law. He was a big man! And seemingly gentle. But the rite was about to begin.

Eodwine and Thornden came into the circle, dressed in their finest, and took their places at the center of the circle. The people quieted and craned their necks to see if they could catch a glimpse of the bride and bride's maid who waited outside the circle.

Then the old man visitor, the one called Eodwemer, stepped out of the crowd and stood before the bride and groom.

"Folk of Scarburg," he said, "your lord Eodwine has asked me to guide the rite. He thinks that my length of years have given me wisdom." The old man chuckled at the notion. "In any case, I am honored and will do my best to honor his choice. So let the bride's maid and bride enter the circle!"

There. I've reposted. Your turn, Foley.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #1517
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

"Folk of Scarburg," he said, "your lord Eodwine has asked me to guide the rite. He thinks that my length of years have given me wisdom." The old man chuckled at the notion. "In any case, I am honored and will do my best to honor his choice. So let the bride's maid and bride enter the circle!"

Saeryn took a final breath and felt her face blush one last time. Degas stepped up to her side and she looked at him. He smiled and offered her his arm and she gave him a thankful smile in return as she took it. They went forward together and Rowenna followed just a little behind Saeryn on her right.

K, I would've written about Degas leaving Saeryn (and I was going to have him kiss her or something) but I figured if Feanor wanted to do that, she should be able to. And if she doesn't, that's fine.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:42 AM   #1518
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I thought bride's maids always preceded the bride into the place of the rite.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #1519
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I thought bride's maids always preceded the bride into the place of the rite.
Well, in American (and most European) culture, sure - but who's to say in Rohan, they didn't follow?

For some reason I pictured her just at Saeryn's right shoulder, a little bit behind. She can go before, certainly.

Maybe I got the idea from my sister-in-law's wedding. When she was married, we bridesmaids didn't go before her. We escorted her down. There were four of us, two went ahead and two went behind. (See picture if you want a visual explanation.)

Anyway, below I re-wrote it. Use whichever version you prefer.

---------------

Saeryn took a final breath and felt her face blush one last time. Degas stepped up to her side and she looked at him. He smiled and offered her his arm and she gave him a thankful smile in return as she took it. Then she turned to Rowenna and nodded her head. Rowenna stepped forward and led the way down through the people to where Eodwine stood waiting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridesmaids formation.JPG (48.9 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by Folwren; 05-31-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #1520
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Thumbs up

Hello everyone, it's been awhile, I hope you don't mind the uninvited Guest I guess I just can't resist a good wedding But don't worry I will write for Æðel too So here are the bios for both of them:

Name: Iomhair Fearghal

Race: Human (Barding)

Appearance: Standing at 5ft 8” Iomhair is considered tall for a woman and with soft brown eyes and wavy brown hair many a man would deem her pretty perhaps even beautiful in her fine cut coats usually of blues, yellows or deep purples finely embroidered with contrasting colours, atop snug fitting blouses and long skirts. She has a medium complexion marred only by the occasional ink smudge. Being a scribe by trade her long fingered hands are constantly stained and a fine feathered quill can always be found somewhere about her person, if not in her hand, then tucked either in her hat or her belt or even tucked behind an ear.

Character: Other than being born in the lake town of Esgaroth very little is known of Iomhair’s past, a wandering scribe never content to call any one place home for too long, preferring instead to learn and document the tales of other more interesting life’s than her own. A free spirit full of life and love, a hopeless romantic more suited to poetry than the fine craft of scribing some might say. Full of good intentions Iomhair portents to only writing truths, ‘weather those truths be damaging or not is up to the reader’ she would protest ardently. Some mistakenly may think her a fool even a bit of a sap, but Iomhair is well educated and well versed in the vices and deceptions of many of the houses within the race of men. Like most scribes her only weapons are her quill and keen mind, she shuns violence where possible preferring the role of spectator to combatant. Perhaps Iomhair’s worst weakness is for a pretty face and a sweet smile, though it could not be said that she deferred from the passion and chase of a man believing himself above love.

----------------------------------

Name: Æðelhild (Æðel)

Appearance: Æðelhild is tall and slight; her rich dark hair falls over her shoulders with the sides usually pulled back into a neat and tidy braid. Deep dark brown eyes reflect the sorrows of her past. Despite dark eyes and hair her complexion is unusually fair, giving her a gentle beauty that she is plainly unaware of.

Æðelhild’s attire is usually that of various coloured Cytel’s worn over shifts of either white or cream linen and tied at the waist with either leather or hand woven knotted belts. Almost always in her possession are her simple box and a small knife for cutting roots and herbs.

At present Æòelhild is in possession of her father’s sword (though she never wears it). A unique blend of both Rohan (Her ancestors on her father’s side having originally come from Rohan) and Gondorian craftsmanship went into its making. The blending and folding of it’s metals done in the Rohan fashion, with the tang just short of the full width of the blade giving it an even balance, yet the guard, grip and pommel distinctly of Gondorian influence, with a majestic rearing horse to the right of a great spreading white tree and an anvil and hammer to the right engraved into the pommel. (No-one but Eodwine, Matrim and Balvir are aware of the swords presence.)

Character/History: Before the afflictions of her uncle (Lord Cild, head merchant of Minas Tirith) Æðelhild was a happy and bright young girl, brought up by her father in the ways of Gondorian noble society and more than a little pampered, but in no way naïve as many believed her to be. She disliked the games and deceits of nobles and spent much of her time in the halls of healers. Her Grandmother had been a Læce and it was only natural that she would have the same affinity and the healers had no objection to sharing with her the secrets of their craft, especially as she was eager and even willing to do the chores required each day, chore’s that many other children of nobility would quite openly sneer at.

Æðelhild’s happy and contented life was not to last, as on a routine patrol her father and his men were ambushed and killed changing her life forever. Æðelhild’s mother having died in child birth and her grandparents having also pasted she was left unto the care of her Fathers brother, Cild a crude and shrewd businessman who had always distanced himself from the family, weather by choice or not Æðelhild did not know, but she had noticed that he and her father never seemed pleased to see each other.

After several cruel and sometime brutal years at the hands of her Uncle Æðelhild become quiet and withdrawn and even stopped visiting the halls. The once confident and exuberant child now seemed to be afraid of her own shadow. It was rumoured (A rumour started by her uncle) that she grieved the loss of her father (Lord Arethil) and her late mothers brother (Lord Mordavim) and would not come out of her room to see anyone, it was even rumoured several times that she had tried to take her own life, but none of the healers had ever been permitted to see her, her uncle insisting he had his own private healer and would use no other.

But Halfric the son of the late lord Arethil’s scribe and Æðelhild’s childhood friend would not believe the lies of her uncle. The truth was that he loved her and although he knew the nobility of her birth would never allow for him to be an acceptable suitor, he cherished their friendship and could never believe that his friend would not wish to confide her grieve much less be so weighed by it that she would think to end her own life. So he challenged Cild time and time again to let him see her but the merchant refused eventually bringing false charges against the boy which saw him enlisted to the southern boarders for three long years... to cool his temper and stay his tongue the magistrate had ordered.
Reluctantly he served his time under the command of captain Balvir of Ithlien and returned no longer a boy but a young man with his resolve hardened. His weapon skills had remained minimal but his skill in information gathering and espionage would serve the purpose of his return. He was resolved to remove Æðelhild from the reach of her uncle. So it was that he returned secretly and set about gathering information and even bribing members of the merchant’s household until one night when Cild was to be gone sometime he snuck into the great house and convinced Æðelhild to leave with him.

But fate was not to be on their side and as the two friends prepared to make haste southward Cild returned unexpectedly, His fury at finding them together caused him to draw blades on Halfric. Æðelhild attempted to intervene, only to find the back of her uncle’s hand across her face knocking her into a large oak desk and on to unconsciousness. That was the final straw for the heated young man and he lunged at the monster he saw before him all sense diminished by his rage until enviably Cild (son of a weapons master and brother to a knight of Gondor) stuck the killing blow that was to end his life forever.

Æðelhild regaining consciousness opened her eyes to find the vacant empty eyed stare of her dead friend, she let out a scream and next thing her uncle had grabbed her up by the hair, murderous wrath in his eyes and Halfric's blood still dripping from his sword. Filled with a fear she thought not possible her hand scrambled behind her on the desk that had caused her head to throb so in unyielding pain. She could feel her uncle’s hot breath on her face as he leaned in threatenly, it was then that she felt it, cold and solid in her clammy hand she hesitated for a moment thinking that perhaps death would release her from this life and its pain and she could finally be with those she loved, But as Cild raised his sword hand not to strike her but to brush her cheek gently, she realised the truth, He would never let her go she would be his prisoner forever. She shuddered at the thought and clasping her hand tightly around what she guessed was Cild's letter opener, she closed her eyes and plunged it into his chest, she did not see his look of shock and horror but she did hear the thud of sword and man hitting the floor and that was all she needed, opening her eyes she ran across the room; out the door; down the dark passage ways and out the rear door to the waiting horses. Tears streamed her face as she mounted the mare Halfric had readied for her and rode out the gates and out of Gondor! (She thought for good.)

Æðelhild knew not where she was going or what she would find, her future was uncertain and it was not long before she was completely lost. Her sudden freedom was not as gratifying as she had hoped. A young woman alone on open roads was an easy target for bandits and scoundrels. Æðelhild faced many harrowing ordeals before eventually finding her way to Edoras and the shelter of a dry stable (That of the old White horse inn) Where she met and befriended Saeryn of the folde who took kindness upon her and later Mistress Bethberry the Innkeeper of the white horse who gave her work and shelter.

So it was that Æðel (As she now calls herself) found a life first as house maid of the White horse, then later Serving girl in the Mead hall and soon to be Healer to Lord Eodwine of the Gap/Scarburg and although she could never erase the memory of her past she had slowly come to believe that in this place she could find some of what she had lost and find again a purpose in her life. But once again fate was not to be her friend and the arrival of Matrim and Balvir to the Halls of Mesuald was to bring that past crashing back to her!!! But for better or worse is yet to be seen.........

-------------------------------------------------------------

Just a quick question: Are you planning to have the traditional sharing of food and drink between bride and groom? as I was thinking of having Æðel (or perhaps it should be Kara?)bring out the mead cup filled with a honey mead (as honey was traditionally associated with fertility and the mead with prosperity) I believe bread was also shared though I can not remember its significance off hand, I think it had something to do with the sharing of each others lives and taking care of one another.... hmm not sure though. Also are you planning to have the grooms man and Braids maid bind their hands? as Æðel would quite like to make the bind cloth/ribbon (not sure of the right name for this item) a gift to them.

- - - - - - - - -

LINKED ~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-11-2009 at 02:45 PM.