Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #2001
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Aww, but she's such fun to write. I'll have a think about it.
It's only a suggestion. Your choice, since she has become your character.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #2002
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
So what I'm "hearing " is that it's probably best to keep this thing "The Eorling Mead Hall" with its cooks, ostler, servingwenches and men at arms, and just move the location to Scarburg, and have the White Horse Inn be a source of livelihood the Eorl has in Edoras. That actually sounds pretty simple and a lot less bothersome.
I'm cool with that. Scyld might not be, though... actually, that might present some problems. The Mead Hall format was very conducive to guests (overnight or long-term). How would that work at Scarburg?
Old 08-25-2007, 04:29 PM   #2003
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, a mead hall is a mead hall, and the lord of one is still expected to honor the code of hospitality that was typical of the culture. So there would be no difference, except in one thing: there would be no feel of an inn anymore; it would be a thoroughgoing mead hall without guest rooms and such.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #2004
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Náin would likely accompany Eodwine to Scarburg. As a "gift" to the King, to be employed in the beautification of his vassal's Mead Hall, he would, with the work on the White Horse Inn location more or less completed, likely be either moving on to serve the king in some other jurisdiction, or--quite logically--go to turn Sorn's sorry estate into something worthy of an eorl. (And, as an aside, Náin is likely to view Eodwine's departure as the best thing that could happen to the man, who will now be a proper lord with a proper estate, and none of this innkeeper nonsense.)

On a related note--is there a rough schematic of Scarburg, similar to what we have of the White Horse Inn location?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #2005
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Náin would likely accompany Eodwine to Scarburg. As a "gift" to the King, to be employed in the beautification of his vassal's Mead Hall, he would, with the work on the White Horse Inn location more or less completed, likely be either moving on to serve the king in some other jurisdiction, or--quite logically--go to turn Sorn's sorry estate into something worthy of an eorl. (And, as an aside, Náin is likely to view Eodwine's departure as the best thing that could happen to the man, who will now be a proper lord with a proper estate, and none of this innkeeper nonsense.)
I appreciate the sentiment.

Quote:
On a related note--is there a rough schematic of Scarburg, similar to what we have of the White Horse Inn location?
No, but I greatly desire to work one up. I'll keep you posted. No pun intended.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #2006
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
What about the (re)construction work in the White Horse Inn building? How ready is it? I (and I guess Noggie would agree here) would love to have our little family following Eodwine, but obviously Stigend can't leave his work unless he gets a permission from the Eorl or the work is done. Same goes for Garstan, I guess, and it would be sad to lose him and his lovely children. Sure this is not a big problem, but I thought someone'd better bring it up.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #2007
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Long time, no see.

I just wanted to say that I'm, unfortunately, unlikely to be able to be a frequent poster (as may have been guessed by my long absence). Life has changed quite a bit for me over the past month or two (in a good way), but my time isn't as available for internet activities anymore.

I'd rather have my characters' not entirely written out of the MH, since it was great fun writing them and I may be able to come back more often in the future, but unless someone else wants to write them, they'll have to be placed on the inactive list.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #2008
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Cel, would it be alright for you if Noggie and I carried them along? (Even though, it wouldn't be the same... )
Old 08-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #2009
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The work to be done on The White Horse Inn is odds and ends now. Finish work.

The work that will be required at Scarburg will be frankly intimidating. If Celuien is willing to let Lommy & Noggy carry her characters, I think that would work. You will be missed, Celuien; you're welcome back any time.

I'm working up some maps. I have the basic landform and house and outbuildings more or less worked up, and am beginning on the layout of the house interior. Next I'll do a broader layout of the lands adjacent as well. I'll post them up as soon as I'm relatively satisfied with them.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #2010
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Scarburg

Okay, let's see how this works. I had to wean myself away from color to get it to upload, so it's all in black and white. Sorry if my imagination recollects this differently than yours does. If there are any mistakes, please let me know and I'll correct them.

Open the attachments and let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Scarburg.bmp (38.6 KB, 588 views)
File Type: bmp Scarburg and surround.bmp (38.6 KB, 588 views)
File Type: bmp Scarburg Mead Hall.bmp (38.6 KB, 580 views)
Old 08-27-2007, 02:49 AM   #2011
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
You "read" me, at least, right, Elempi.

It's rather hard to imagine Harreld without Garreth. Won't it work to have both of them relocated?

I must say, the marshes open up some exciting possibilities...or maybe that's just me, having no sense of direction.

I hope you'll get to have more free time soon, Celuien.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 08-27-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 AM   #2012
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Bah. My computer won't let me see the plans as it doesn't have a working version of Paint. Could some kindly soul email them to me?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #2013
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Well, big news indeed!

But yes, I do think that Stigend would find the new challenges ones he'd like to meet. And after all lord Eodwine has been the best master his family has had and they would like to cling to him as they have so bad experiences of different lords.

And if Celuien allows us, I think we (Lommy & myself) could carry Garstan & his kids around as well - it would break Cnebba's heart if he needed to separate with Garstan's children. I think they have all become good friends already.

I myself will be able to take part more actively pretty soon.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #2014
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I was the last one to post to the EMH rpg. So I'm waiting for someone else. I don't like to double post.

Eodwine is very happy with his carpenter and stone shaper too. He most certainly does not want to be parted from them. He told me so himself.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-27-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #2015
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Cel, would it be alright for you if Noggie and I carried them along?
That would be wonderful. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #2016
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I was the last one to post to the EMH rpg. So I'm waiting for someone else. I don't like to double post.
I know, but I don't have anything to post, except some thoughts for Javan. And I may well do that tomorrow, just to get something on there and maybe remind others of its existance.

-- Folwren
Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #2017
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I can write up a post - though it probably won't be until tomorrow, and no one should feel like they should wait on me.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:57 AM   #2018
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I have actually written a sketch of a post in a notebook, so I guess I could edit and post it sometime quite soon, yet I'm not sure if I'm able to do it today... Besides, the post would maybe be preferably taking place around the noon than in the morning, so I guess it doesn't matter if it takes me a bit of time to get it ready. (And of course if I'm hyper productive I can write a morning-post this evening and post the noon-post tomoorow or the day after tomorrow... )
Old 08-28-2007, 05:55 AM   #2019
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

My Finnish lesson was cancelled and I had nothing else to do, so I rewrote the post and saved it to my e-mail. That means I can post it almost at any time since it just takes a few minutes now.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #2020
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Elempi,

Do you want to post before I do? Or should I go ahead and post for Javan and have Leof walking out to where he is wiping up the water?

-- Folwren
Old 08-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #2021
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Elempi,

Do you want to post before I do? Or should I go ahead and post for Javan and have Leof walking out to where he is wiping up the water?

-- Folwren
Go ahead. I won't get a chance until this evening.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:31 PM   #2022
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have a problem.

I'm brimming with ideas for this rpg, but not for this particular morning in this particular setting. It is defeating me. Not to mention I'm overtired and not at my creative best or even creative 'okay'.

So keep posting and I'll try and think something up that fits.

Or do you think Eodwine's "bombshell" about Scarburg ought to come up now?

Blarg.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #2023
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Sure. Have him spill the beans now. But please don't move time on yet. Firefoot and I have had stuff planned for ages and you ruined our plans last time by introducing the whole outlaw scenerio.

I'm very sorry that you don't have anything to do for this particular day. I thought you said you had a lot up your sleeve. And I also believe that you promised to post something that told us what went on between Eomer and Eodwine.

-- Foley
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #2024
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Sure. Have him spill the beans now.
Okay.

Quote:
But please don't move time on yet. Firefoot and I have had stuff planned for ages and you ruined our plans last time by introducing the whole outlaw scenerio.
Ouch! I'm sorry. You could have objected. I could have backed it out.

Quote:
I'm very sorry that you don't have anything to do for this particular day. I thought you said you had a lot up your sleeve.
I do. You will recall that I specifically said, "on this particular morning, in this particular setting".

Quote:
And I also believe that you promised to post something that told us what went on between Eomer and Eodwine.
That's what the Scarburg stuff is about.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #2025
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Ouch! I'm sorry. You could have objected. I could have backed it out.
Oh! No, no, no! I didn't mean it quite like that. The adventure was good and a lot of fun. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word 'ruined'...because it didn't, it just 'postponed' our plans. So don't apologize.

-- Folwren
Old 09-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #2026
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm waiting for others to post a reaction to Eodwine's bombshell before I post again.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #2027
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I understand. I've been busy all day yesterday and today and will likely not be able to post until Monday evening, so don't necessarily wait up for me.

-- Folwren
Old 09-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #2028
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Fun posts, Firefoot & Foley. It's nice to read and not be direclty involved.

It does appear that Flíthaf has had a transformation from chestnut to bay. Hmmm... I wonder how that happened?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #2029
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Fun posts, Firefoot & Foley. It's nice to read and not be direclty involved.

It does appear that Flíthaf has had a transformation from chestnut to bay. Hmmm... I wonder how that happened?
Ha! At least he didn't go from Chestnut to Black as I had in my original writing of that post!

Actually, what I decided to do was, since Herefola and Aethel were both chesnut, I wanted to make a slight difference in Flithaf's color. So...I figured a chestnut might be taken for a bay in the right lighting, or a bay for a chestnut, and since it's just in Javan's talking, it's not too bad.

Of course, if you'd like it to be completely correct, I can change it.

-- Folwren
Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #2030
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
First of all, I apologise for the long delay. I didn't know how to push this post into the story, and then difficult days came.

Second, I'm not sure it works. Personally I found it confusing, the sudden shifting in perspective, but I didn't know how else to deal with it. I didn't want to prune the PM-built conversation - not that I was sure how to.

Third, I probably took a bit of liberty concerning Harreld. Feel free to slap my writing hand in that case, or for any of the above reasons.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 09-10-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #2031
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up Good posts...

Poor Ginna, she seems to have problems with the dishes quite often!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #2032
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

lol! Well this last accident wasn't quite her fault.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #2033
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Wow, Foley! Talk about channeling your opposite!

I slept more than 3 hours this afternoon! Guess I was that tired. Now I'm refreshed and it's the weekend! I think I'll find time to write.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #2034
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It's so annoying to post for who knows how many times in a row that I'm coming back as soon as these stresses from work and other RL-things ease up...

But I'm really intending to come back.

This weekend is just more than full (painting, bowling, road-managing the equipment of our band, a meeting of the board of my choir, checking student's exams...) so I can't write anything but hopefully next week.

It always looks promising the next week until the week actually comes. But really. I feel ashamed not to have done a post in month or two...
Old 09-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #2035
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hang in there Noggie, we're pulling for you.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #2036
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Wow, Foley! Talk about channeling your opposite!
What do you mean? What opposite?

Quote:
I slept more than 3 hours this afternoon! Guess I was that tired. Now I'm refreshed and it's the weekend! I think I'll find time to write.
Good for you! I'm glad to hear it. This weekend for me is going to be quite busy, I think. And as for sleep...heh...I was woken an hour early by a dreadful dream (worst I've had in a loooooooong time, maybe ever).

Nogrod, don't worry too much. We'll miss you while you're gone, but won't think badly of you for not writing.

Hope all is well with you.

-- Foley
Old 09-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #2037
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I was woken an hour early by a dreadful dream (worst I've had in a loooooooong time, maybe ever).
You guys have time to sleep?

Or time to actually remeber your dreams in the morning? When you have to rush with the clock you just don't have time to recollect your dreams... I mean one can remeber them a moment when one wakes up but then they just go *pooh* and are gone with the first conscious thought...
Old 09-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #2038
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Or time to actually remeber your dreams in the morning? When you have to rush with the clock you just don't have time to recollect your dreams... I mean one can remeber them a moment when one wakes up but then they just go *pooh* and are gone with the first conscious thought...
This one woke me and I could not stop thinking about it. It was bloody and gory and gross and horrible. Many times, I can not remember my dreams, but when one wakes you...*shudder*
Old 09-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #2039
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
What do you mean? What opposite?
Javan is irresponsible. Thornden (more like you) is the opposite.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #2040
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I half thought that was what you meant, but wasn't quite sure, because quite honestly...when I was younger, I was much, much like Javan. Only now am I learning to be responsible.

-- Folwren