The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2003, 12:37 PM   #1
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Do you find yourself qouting LOTR when.......

Do you find yourself qouting LOTR like when someone says, "I can't do that" you say, "there are few who can". Or when someone does something really dumb you immitate gollum's voice and say, "stupid fat hobbit!" I do it a lot. Its supper fun to just have a spurr of the moment thing like that.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:20 PM   #2
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
HEHEHE!! Yup, I do too! There was this time when I was in a department store and my younger brothers found these stuffed reindeer that would wagg their tales and antlers and sing a jazzed up christmas carol. My brothers started several of those going so I got behind a clothes rack waiting for them to finish. When I finally emerged, my brothers had found a snowman that did the same thing and they came running up to me with it going "Look what we found!" So I replied "What is this new devilry?" Some customers standing nearby gave me the wierdest stares. I still laugh when I think about their expressions!
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*lol*<P>Yes I admit I do the same.<P>I foolishly got into a debate with one of my professors about the death penalty and why it should not be used. One of my arguments was "Some that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Therefore I don't think we should be eager to deal out death in judgement because no one is 100% for sure that they are guilty"<P>I voiced my own wording towards the end (it would have been too wierd if I didn't!)<P>I also quoted Gimli when my mom was going through a dark time. "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." Powerful quote Gimli...

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I love doing stuff like that! It's so funny to see how people react. <P>Iarwain
Old 03-17-2003, 02:58 PM   #5
Talon Stormcrow
Animated Skeleton

Talon Stormcrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Haha those are funny! One time at school I was with one of my lotr friends and I dropped my ring in the hall. I picked it up and quoted the whole Boromir on Caradras line and my friend knew what I was doing and joined in as Aragorn! It was great!<BR>I agree,Iarwain, peoples reactions are hilarious!

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" -Gimli Son of Gloin.
Talon Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 03:34 PM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I do that too, but what's more worrying is my tendency to shout out random quotes for absolutely no reason!<P>I have ran down the main street screaming "NAZGUL!" a couple of times.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
lol <P>One day my friend took my pencil that I had found on the floor and when I asked for it back, she wouldn't give it back. So I said, "It's mine, I found it, it came to me!" and everybody looked at me funny . I always seem to be saying little things from the movies without even thinking about it.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:39 PM   #8
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Oh, all the time! When I get new homework assignments (i.e. reports) I always mutter, "What is this new devilry?" And quoting the Elvish bits at odd moments tends to get vibrant reactions!
Old 03-17-2003, 03:50 PM   #9
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've done this many, many times (also X-Men and Goldeneye, so this isn't just a LotR thing). I was at Wal*Mart with my mother and father and all three of us got separated. I found my mom at the electronics section and said in my best Boromir voice, "None of us should wander alone." Boy... I still shiver at the memory of the glare she gave me.<P>I've used "If you want [it], come and claim [it]!" many times as well as "What is this new devilry?", "If it is the will of the [parent] then Gondor will see it done" and "By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe!" (only during video games, though). Another favorite that isn't a movie or book quote is "By Gondor" or "For Gondor" or "In the name of Gondor" and many other variations. But, as I said, I also quote X-Men and Goldeneye and various other movies in my everyday life.
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 04:49 PM   #10
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

LOL!! I quote LOTR only too often. And recently, I've been quoting BDer's sigs. A couple of hours ago, when I was at school, I shouted, for absolutely no reason what so ever, "Spook the spookish spookdom to spook the spooked spookers!!!" Everyone was giving me these weird looks. It's really hard to understand Rynoah's sig. So I had to break it down for them. I also like to quote Helka's, Skippy's, Gorwingel's, Diamond's, and I REALLY like eleanor_niphredil's sig. But here are my favorites (that I can think of right now):<P><B>Shy Hobbit</B><P>Make Middle-Earth a friendlier place, hug a balrog today! <P>I like Horse-maiden's new one:<P><B>Horse-Maiden of the Shire</B><P>If you don't name your sword, how is it supposed to come when you call it? <P><B>Sapphire_Flame</B><P>I'm not anti-society, society is anti-me. <P><B>Brinniel</B><P>"The problem with reality is the lack of background music." <BR>-Anonymous <P>And this has definately got to be my favorite:<P><B>Rosseiliantiel</B><P>Whatever floats your oyster. <P>I have tons more, I just can't think of them at the moment (and I don't have enough room to put them all!).<P><BR>I just realized how completely off topic this was...<p>[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: Eressië Ailin ]
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 06:04 PM   #11
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Yes, I <B>love</B> seeing peoples reactions! <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I do that too, but what's more worrying is my tendency to shout out random quotes for absolutely no reason!<BR>I have ran down the main street screaming "NAZGUL!" a couple of times.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I thought I was the only one.... I do this type of things every day, but I'll post a few: <UL TYPE=SQUARE>I ran up and down the blacktop outside my school, when a car was coming, yelling: "I think we should get off the road...get off the road! Quick!"<BR>I break out quoting the intro from FotR...I know all of it by heart. I think my parents will be quoting it soon!<BR>I saw some birds and chased after them for no apparent reason. (Don't ask.) Then, upon seeing that they didn't movie, I said, rather loudly, "Fly, you fools!" I think I saw a pigeon giving me a strange look...<BR>Yes, I say "stupid, fat, hobbit, very often"<BR>When I saw my mom cooking I popped off suddenly with "Po-ta-toes...."<BR>My teachers and friends all know of my LotR obsession/addiction, so once when I didn't hand in my homework, my teacher says "If you do not hand it in tomotrrow, I will now destroy the Ring", which was kinda lame... but, though I meant to oonly say "sure..." I went through with "Alright! I will do it! Though I do not know the way...." which got me a weird (er) rep....lol, no, everybody forgot about it right away, but the people who hadn't seen LotR looked like they were wondering about something....</UL> I do this type of things all the time, and am glad to know that it's not only me, so I will probably post more later...<BR>Edit: I just ran down the hall, crashed into my dad, and yelled something or other, I can't even remember what now, from LotR, and ran back here. And locked the door. <p>[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 03-17-2003, 06:06 PM   #12
Gayaiaion

Sting

Yes, indeedy I do quote lines whenever there's an opening. Often when people say phrases that are also in the movie, I finish them. Great fun.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:13 PM   #13
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

He, all this is really funny, um I have a couple.<P>One day in spanish class the guy sitting behide me kept asking me all the answers to the worksheet we were doing. I got really fed up so I turn to him and said, "Mustn't ask us, not its buisness" full with the gollem coughing and all. The look on his face almost made me fall out of my chair. Then my friend joined in, saying to the guy," You were not so differnt from a hobbit once, were you, Smeagol?" It was hilerious .<P>Then in gym once, we were having a "fun run" (those two words should NEVER be used in the same sentance) and my friend and I ended trying to recrite Treebeards lines. When the coach told us to speed up we both muttered,<I>"Now, let's not be hasty"</I>
Old 03-17-2003, 08:21 PM   #14
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>A couple of hours ago, when I was at school, I shouted, for absolutely no reason what so ever, "Spook the spookish spookdom to spook the spooked spookers!!!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm amazed. I never thought someone would quote my signature. *cackles*
Old 03-17-2003, 09:23 PM   #15
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I say Ishkaqui Ai'Durugnul plenty of times... I quite Arwen's spell at the Ford of Brunien in long lines... I tell people to havo dad, and I ususally get "I have a dad, yes" in responce.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:31 AM   #16
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My family is fast wearing out the "My prrrreecciouss" and second breakfast quotes. The other day, we were at a resturaunt and I tried to give some coleslaw to my nephew (he hates coleslaw), and he was like, "No, NO! I don't want it!" and I got a funny mental image of him saying "Understand, I would take this coleslaw because it tastes good. But through me, it would weild indigestion to great and terrible to imagine!"

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 11:10 AM   #17
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But here are my favorites (that I can think of right now):<P>Sapphire_Flame<P>I'm not anti-society, society is anti-me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Aw, someone likes my sig! <P>Whenever my brother tries to get into my room, I end up screaming at him, "You cannot pass!" or "Go back to the shadows!" He always gives me odd looks. BTW, <B>Rynoah</B>, I love your Gondor quotes, I'll have to use them sometimes. My new favorite is "By the Valar!" and, if something is being annoying (i.e. the computer, my brother) it ends up getting called a Mordor-spawned piece of crap (or something similar). Thanks for all the new ideas, too, you guys!!!!
Old 03-18-2003, 11:22 AM   #18
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Sting

These are great. I get great reactions when I Imitate Gollum's voice quotes or say something or an insult in elvish. <P>Once when my mom wanted me to do something, I think it was schoolwork, i put on my gollum voice and said, "'no that would kill us, kill us!"
Old 03-18-2003, 12:00 PM   #19
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Oo, nice one, Mornie, I'll have to use that on my mom tonight!
Old 03-18-2003, 01:02 PM   #20
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and second breakfast quotes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I just quoted that quote at breakfast. We were cooking bacon. I also ended up quoting the line on Weathertop about the "nice crispy bacon". It was fun; mom jumped right in! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>BTW, Rynoah, I love your Gondor quotes, I'll have to use them sometimes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thanks! I use them almost obsessively.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:15 PM   #21
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Sting

A good qoute to say to the French would be, "by the blood of our people, are your lands kept save." Also when the make a knew to delay the dicisions, "what is this new devilry?!"
Old 03-18-2003, 01:17 PM   #22
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Sting

Sorry I missed the word Argument. THIS IS A JOKE. NOT SOMETHING TO FIGHT ABOUT POLITICS!<P>A good qoute to say to the French would be, "by the blood of our people, are your lands kept save." Also when the make a knew argument to delay the dicisions, "what is this new devilry?!"
Old 03-18-2003, 09:22 PM   #23
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm amazed. I never thought someone would quote my signature. *cackles* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh, I find myself quoting BDers sigs constantly. And yours especially, cause it gets me the most strange looks. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> it ends up getting called a Mordor-spawned piece of crap (or something similar) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hey, that's my quote! <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> or an insult in elvish <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I find myself saying "go kiss an orc" in Elvish frequently...
Old 03-18-2003, 10:03 PM   #24
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

What would "Go kiss an orc?" be in Elvish?
Old 03-19-2003, 07:06 AM   #25
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was part of a discussion of the impending war the other day, when someone said "The world has changed". I immediately began to say "I amar prester aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chai, a hon nestred gwilith" Unfortuanately no one heard me. When they give me assignments, I am know to say one of two things either "What is this new devilry?" or "Why do you lay these troubles on an already troubled mind?" <P> A few days ago I was looking for something I had lost, when I found it I danced aroun the room and said "Precious! Precious! Precious! My Precious! Oh my precious!" Thankfully, I was alone.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:19 AM   #26
Rochelle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rochelle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I only quote elvish to those that have read Lord of the rings *lol* I find I get wierd looks if I don't! I love quoting Galadriel's movie piece <I>I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith</I>. My other one is <I>Hon mabathon. Rochon ellint im</I> Especially that last part because I am an equestrian and it translates to "I'm the swifter rider" *hehe*<P>I said that to one of my guy friends and he was like "That is possibly the most sexy thing I've ever heard" ...yeesh he needs to get out more *lol*!<P>[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Rochelle ]<p>[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: Rochelle ]

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens"
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:51 AM   #27
MallornLeaf
Haunting Spirit

MallornLeaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MallornLeaf
Sting

Hey Mornie! Nice Topic <P>Although my friends marvel that I quote LOTR all the time, one of the best examples comes from a basketball game. I grabbed a rebound and one girl from the other team said, "here, pass!" I looked at her and said, "Oh no! It's mine! It came to me! It's my own, my love, my preciousss!" I think she was on the other side of the court by the time I finished, but she raised her eyebrow at me and I'll never forget it!

"I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."
MallornLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:35 PM   #28
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

If I'd have been guarding you, I'd have said, "You cannot pass!" What a riot that would've been.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:46 PM   #29
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Sting

Welcome back to the Barrowdowns MallornLeaf! That would be funny pass the ball and you say, "this is the ball of the Galadhrim, with of the skill of are basketball kin."
Old 03-19-2003, 01:52 PM   #30
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Um....okay...<P>Yeah, Galadriel's bit is always fun. I get some odd looks for that one....<P>In case anyone is wondering, <I>u-bedo</I> is "shut up" in Sindarin.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:59 PM   #31
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Sting

I love giving someone the "nice hobbit" in the gollum voice. Its probably one of the easiest gollum voice things for me to do.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:19 PM   #32
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

One funny example I have is when we went to the Lowell mills (in Massachusetts) they have this brick path there, and every few bricks there's one with a name of a girl or immigrant that worked there and what year they did (all in the 1800's). So I say, "There, there are dead people's names in the sidewalk!" Of course no one heard me. I also ALWAYS call my little brother a fool of a Took, and whenever my mom says "What do you want for supper?" I'll say "Tomatoes, sausages, and nice crispy bacon." And if we have haddock, I'll say "Give us fish rawwww, and wrrrrriggling!"
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 04:55 PM   #33
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> What would "Go kiss an orc?" be in Elvish? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I found this in several places online, but cannot be sure if it is correct, and if it is, whether it is in Quenya or Sindarin or some horribly twisted mutation but apparently it's <I>Auta miqula orcu!</I> aneven if it's not acurate, it's awfully fun to say and then run off, laughing, while people wonder <I>when</I> exactly the loony house takes you in...
Old 03-20-2003, 03:03 AM   #34
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yeah i quoted Elrond last night when my father reminded my brother that he was the last one to carry the family name. And i said to him sarcastically.<P>"you are the last of that bloodline- there is no other!"

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:03 PM   #35
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Nice one Everdawn! <P>I don't know exactly what "go kiss an orc" would be, but I know that the Sindarin word for orc is orch, that there are no indirect articles (a, an) in Sindarin, and that the imparitive form of bad- (go) is bado. So someone just needs to find out what kiss is and we have it! <P>So far it's: Bado --- orch!<P>271 days until RotK!
Old 03-21-2003, 04:16 PM   #36
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
ROTFL!!!! These are so funny!!!! A friend of mine told me about this one the other day.<P>My friend had been on the phone for a long time and her brother was complaining about it to her mom (deja vu). He said "What is she talking about?!" Her mom calmly replied "Thing that were, thing that are, and some things that have not yet come to pass. That shut him up. <P>Here's another one. My sister had to make a decision (I don't remember what about) and she wouldn't do it. My mom kept nagging her about it so she said "Mom! I don't know what to decide!" My mom replied "All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." My sister calmed down after that.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>271 days until RotK! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm counting down too! <p>[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: Firondoiel ]
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:43 PM   #37
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I said the Barrow-Wights instead of the Huns on a social studies test once, but noticed when I was about to hand it in, and pretended I had forgotten to put my name on iit so I could change it.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:54 PM   #38
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
lol, some these are so funny! <P>A few days ago, when I watched the Bush's address to the U.S. and he talked about our allies, I was like, "our list of allies grows thin." I love doing that when people don't know where it is from. <BR>Yesterday, my dad was making potatoes in a crockpot thingie and I was like, "PO-TA-TOES! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!" he gets really mad when I do that.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:07 PM   #39
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I THINK that go kiss an orc is <I>auta miqula yrch</I>. Not too sure.<P>Somebody likes my sig! Thank ya!<P>Whenever we play broomball or hockey or something in gym my friend and i scream to each other "Dago han!!!" (kill him) in regards to the ball. also, i do the second breakfast thing and many many other quotes. I just cant come up with any right now.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 07:36 PM   #40
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Sting

In LOTR Legolas says Yrch, as the word for orc, and he speaks sindarin. So it is safe to say that Orch is not orc.