The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2003, 09:59 AM   #41
Elrowen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Elrowen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Greenleaf
Eye

I've found myself quoting it alot....<P>When my little sister is refusing to go outside.... "Are you frightened?"<P>Also... whenever somebody does something stupid, I find myself saying to them... "You confounded fool of a Took!"<P>I also will find myself quoting random bits of Elvish from time to time.<P>When I'm riding my fav horse at the stable, prepering to canter or heading for a jump... I find myself saying "Noro lim Asfaloth, noro lim!" (Substituting Asfaloth for Fiddlesticks).<P>When somebody will ask me where I a going... I'll often reply "To Rivendell Master Gamgee. To the house of Elrond."<P>I also use "If you want him, come and claim him!" quite often.<P>There's alot more, but it would take me too long to type it all...

The bow of Legolas was singing.
Elrowen Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 01:55 PM   #42
tangerine
Haunting Spirit

tangerine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Instead of pepper spray, you pack a glass bottle and scream "Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!!!" at muggers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hehehe, that one's the best! I could definitely see myself doing that!
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:33 PM   #43
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You can by a T-shirt that has a lot of those type things on it at <A HREF="http://www.theonering.net." TARGET=_blank>www.theonering.net.</A> I've been waiting for a time to say the "Things that were......." when someone says what are you talking about. Ever since I read that ive wanted to do it.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:48 PM   #44
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Gotta love the pepper spray!<P>Another similiar one: Carry a dagger at your side and scream "Back you Devils!" at your teacher as she/he collects tests/hw.<P>(Warning, this could get you an easy ticket to a juvenile correctional facility.)<p>[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 03-25-2003, 08:58 PM   #45
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Yes I admit I do the same.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Me too! <BR>The auta miqula orcu thing, I didn't translate it myself, so I wouldn't know, but I saw it in several places online. I don''t have the links just now, they're on my mom's computer, but I'll get them later.<P>Oh, and I had an interesting LotR quoting time a few days ago...<BR>You see, I've been having a strange habit. I can't fall asleep till at maybe one or two in the morning, when I take a blanket and a pillow, put it on the floor, and fall asleep just fine. But this one night, I was in a really weird mood, so I did some strange stuff before falling asleep...first I did 111 jumping jacks. Then I looked at a bunch of stuffed animals and suddenly popped off with the "confusing Bilbo line". I thought they were giving me some bemused looks.... The I looked at the time and said: "You're late" then in the mirror and "you look terrible". I only registered what I had been doing when I woke up on my carpet in the morning. I bet I do things like that all the time, but don't remember.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:06 PM   #46
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I often use Pippin's "Where are we going?"<P>I also love "tricksy hobbitses" and "We hates it forever!"<P>I also love doing ones spur of the moment in response to people, but I can't remember any specific ones I've done.<P>I just realized "We hates it forever" isn't from the movie, but oh well.<p>[ March 26, 2003: Message edited by: aragornreborn ]
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 12:51 AM   #47
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ooh I have a good story to go with LOTR quotes. Last week I was on year 9 camp and we were walking down the path in the bush but then we came to this forest and I swear it looked EXACTLY like that bit in FOTR when the hobbits hide under the tree. So anyways we all had to carry our EXTREMELY heavy packs. We all looked like little hobbits! It was so cute. Then my friend shouted out 'Get off the road NOW!' and at that moment I looked back and these leaves were blowing on the track. It was so freaky it was exactly like the movie!! The black riders were the other camp group who were trying to catch up with us.<P>That went a bit off topic but it was so cool, a had to be there moment I guess
Old 03-27-2003, 02:48 AM   #48
Braeden Fireheart

The Eye

My mum's dog gets into a lot of mischief. Whenever I'm certain that he's about to do something he's not supposed to do, I always say "I see your mind" much like Boromir says it in FotR.<P>Sometimes I add on "You will take the Ring to Sauron! You will betray us!", but only when I'm certain there's no one else around to hear me. <p>[ March 27, 2003: Message edited by: Braeden Fireheart ]
Old 03-28-2003, 06:09 AM   #49
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

...."our list of allies grows thin"...<P>I like that one.. How true!<BR>I have a friend and her last name is Büggen so usually, my other best friend yells at her "Thiefing Büggenses" i know its nothing like it, but I think its cute.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:36 PM   #50
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Braeden Fireheart, I say the exact same things! I also add "you go to your death... and the death of us all!"
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 06:51 PM   #51
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Elvish Hermit has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Whenever I stub my toe or get a bruise: "I think I brokeded something." <P>At random moments when the wind speeds up:<BR>"The world has changed..."<P>a friend asks to copy off my homework: <BR>"This task was appointed to you, and you alone." <BR>"Nor are they accounted amoung the wisest."<P>someone asks me why I hardly socialize:<BR>"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life."<P>annoying people ask me to move:<BR>"You shall not pass!"<P>someone finds gossip on someone else that we hate: <BR>"It is a gift. A gift to the foes of {insert name}."<P>Someone messes up:.<BR>"Fool of a {last name}!" <P>At Lunch:.<BR>"Lembas. Elvish Waybread. One small bite can fill a grown man's stomache." <P>On the war:<BR>"the eye is fixed on New York."<BR>"Our list of allies grows thin."<P>Ummm, that it. At least of what I can remember.
Elvish Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:13 AM   #52
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Quoting?<P>Why, yes m'boy <P>One of my favorite random times was when a friend and I were at an ice cream parlor (with reeeaally good ice cream) and I, unknowingly, pointed to a sign and said, "Look, you can get a pint," to which my friend quickly replied, "It comes in pints," and I finished, "I'm getting one."<P>Of course, I really didn't get one, because that's a lot of ice cream!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 04:20 PM   #53
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I found this in several places online, but cannot be sure if it is correct, and if it is, whether it is in Quenya or Sindarin or some horribly twisted mutation but apparently it's <I>Auta miqula orcu!</I><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Now that I'm starting to learn Sindarin, I'm pretty sure that the phrase, "Go kiss an orc!" is <I>Bado mîbo orch!</I> This is in Sindarin. <p>[ April 25, 2003: Message edited by: BethoHOG ]
Old 04-25-2003, 06:29 PM   #54
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
My bedroom is right in the front of the house. It's got double French doors opening on the front hall, and a regular door opening on the back hall. Result? All three brothers use my room as a hallway extension, and the carpet is terribly worn. So they're supposed to stay out, but do they? No! So I get tired of it and I'll nag and pester. My parents don't appreciate that, either. But when I was home last weekend, my middle brother just kept following me around chattering. I wanted to go to bed, so I walked into my room and, as he was preparing to follow me, I shouted (in a quiet voice) "You shall not pass!" - and then locked the doors. My dad told me later he really appreciated that way of keeping him out. <P>I'm about 5'10", which although not super tall, is taller than most of my female friends. So several times I've found myself saying when they can't see something, "Shall I describe it to you?" Once my friend started laughing so hard that I laughed too, and I could scarcely finish the quote - "Or would you like me to find you a box?"<P>Of course, there was the time I greeted another Tolkienite in Elvish - "Mae govannen." I was expecting the blank looks from the other friends standing around, but you should have seen the look she gave me!
Old 04-28-2003, 04:34 PM   #55
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Once I was useing the automatic-checkout machine in one of the stored I go to when I made an interesting statement. The machine wouldn't scan properly, and the lines were to long in the 'real' checkout stations, so I said, "Curse you, and all the halflings!" A few bystanders turned around and gave me a strange look, so I decided to watch my mouth more closely! Unfortunalely, not close enough. A few days later I was at the same store, walking down a crowed aisle, when I scrathed my shoulder on the metal corner of a display stand. Once again I HAD to burst out with a quote and said,"Aagh! Still sharp!" a little louder than I meant to. A bunch of people turned around (including one of the people that heard my curse you quote a few days earlier) and gave me interesting looks. I bet I'm considered some sort of a freak that goes around testing the sharpness of display-stand corners now!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 09:49 PM   #56
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I quote LOTR when I am in buses full of giggling girls talking about their boyfriends to stay sane. I also qoute "There are few who can." every once in a while.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:29 AM   #57
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

We were having a picnic, (my group) and i sent one of the boys over to light the Barbie, but when i went over with the food, he said<P>"I can get it to go!" so i set down the basket and grabed his shoulders and looked him in the eye and said; " This task was appointed to you. If you do not find a way, no one will.".. ah it was funny at the time...

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-20-2003, 02:32 AM   #58
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm about 5'10", which although not super tall, is taller than most of my female friends. So several times I've found myself saying when they can't see something, "Shall I describe it to you?" Once my friend started laughing so hard that I laughed too, and I could scarcely finish the quote - "Or would you like me to find you a box?"<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I feel your pain, im 5'10'' and my friends are all shorter than me, and they are always saying im tall, but really, its not <I>that</I> tall!, i too have thought about using that line, perhaps now i will.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-20-2003, 04:32 AM   #59
Ascalótëion

Pipe

Well, I've got my non-obsessed friends at least remembering 'Mae govannen', as that's my most common greeting... <P>I don't tend to quote that many lines, but talking in Elvish half the time seems to make up for that in the odd-look department.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:03 PM   #60
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Welcome to the Downs, Ascalótëion! I'm sure you'll like it here..<P>I've made quite an interesting reputation for myself, I quote both book and movie all the time. I annoy my should-have-been-twin little brother by saying all sorts of things that he's forgotten. I can't remember any now, but I've done 'em all at least once.<P>Unfortunately for me, I am 5' 0" and well on my way to shrinking. So I am often on Gimli's end of the "discribing" quote.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:11 PM   #61
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He he, I find myself quoting the movie a lot! Most often it's in my head but when I do quote outloud most people look at me weird, confused, or don't even notice it's a quote! Grrrrr, There are too few LotR fans living around me... Dang it! <P>However, there is a quote that I use often whenever potatoes are being made. 'taters, what's taters, precious?' 'Po-Ta-Toes. Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.' Everyone looks at me crazy like and I just smile, then when they don't get it, I roll my eyes and walk away. Stupid non understanding people.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:08 PM   #62
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

I love "tricksy" and "we hates thems forever". There is this group of boys in my class, and they are really stupid. They come our (my groups') table and start racking on us. So what do we do but stare at eachother and say <I>Amin n'rangwa edanea</I>. They give us this look and walk away. Good stuff. In my group, I stand in the middle heighth wise. I am considered and Man, the taller ones Elves, and the shotter ones hobbits/drawves. So we each shout out things from our given races. This dreives everyone crazy! Especially one of the hobbits who has the mental image that she's tall!

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:19 PM   #63
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

At my family reunion I was eating potatoes, and my cousin (who looks like Gollum!) said "What's that?" and I responded with "Po-tay-toes..." I should have said "This, my friend, is a pint." Oh well.<P>A door in my house got stuck, so I yelled "Edro hi ammen!" at it, and it opened!<BR>(this happened four times! I'm serious! )
Old 07-25-2003, 05:17 PM   #64
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Yup, the new one is "Po-tay-toes...". I've everyone I know saying it now...

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 03:57 PM   #65
Alaruid

Silmaril

Well, I know this isn't a qoute, but when I see a spider I yell, " Die!! Followers of Shelob!!". (My battle cry). Toodles.<P>-Alaruid
Old 07-26-2003, 05:08 PM   #66
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey Alaruid Thanks for the idea, I believe I've found a new battle cry for killing spiders. Much thanks!!!!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote