The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #2961
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Welcome Groin! Hopefully this feeling is going to last when you stay among us some time! (And hopefully, it's going to be a long time. It's about time we got some decent Dwarves to our ranks.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #2962
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I love this site! I just discovered it yesterday and I'm already hooked on it!
One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...One of us...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:35 AM   #2963
Ainu Laire

Hey all, newbie here. I was looking up Zimmerman and his script (which was inspired by watching Sleeping Beauty and remembering how much Tolkien despised Disney... love random thoughts like that) and stumbled upon this forum. Thought... hey, why not. Spread myself a bit more around the internet.

My username is very much mine. Yes, I'm not much for anonmity. If you see it anywhere else, it's 99% most likely me. Sometimes shortened to "Laire", but I'm pretty easy to identify with rambling thoughts and other such nonsense.

Anyways! I was introduced to Tolkien by the FOTR trailer back in fall of 01. I read FOTR right before the movie came out, and soon finished the series in 02. By PJ's ROTK I was a helpless addict. At this moment of my life all my friends and family have given up all hope for me and have accepted that I am, indeed, a Tolkien geek through and through. Have a good few books, a room that resembles a shrine, go to cons, argue about Balrogs and wings, play any games I can get my hands on, the whole nine yards.

Outside of Tolkien (which really doesn't exist), I'm a student (bleh), artist (dA linky in profile), writer (though not all that good), insomniac (3:30am!), and chocoholic (yum).

See ya all around.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:46 AM   #2964
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Welcome, Ainu Laire. I am fairly new here myself.

I have indeed seen your name around. In fact I think you commented on one of my posts at Deleterius. Remember the Mellon Chronicles one?
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:46 AM   #2965
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome, Ainu Laire! Enjoy being dead, as we sometimes say here.
(Or mostly it's just me saying that these days... )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #2966
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yeah, I'm McCaber. I got linked here from a different site and decided to put in my $.02 worth. There isn't much to me. I'll read posts and comment on the ones that intrigue me. This looks like a fun place to be, and I think I'll enjoy it.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:31 AM   #2967
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Welcome McCaber! Hope you will enjoy it.

And feel welcome to put in even more than $.02 if you decide to.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #2968
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
A very warm welcome to Annatar, The Fuzz, Groin Redbeard, Ainu Laire and McCaber (and any of you lately deceased piles of bones)! I hope you enjoy your stay as a dead... for there is no return after death anyway so wwhy not enjoy it?

Nerwen and Sally I have already met and it has been a pleasant meeting indeed! Do enjoy yourselves all around this place!

And well, what can I say? After a couple of years of insistent persuasion by Lommy and me I see A Little Green here! Happy deathday my darling! And so nice to see you here as well!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #2969
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Indeed, a warm welcome to all. *Passes lembas around the room*
Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #2970
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Nazgûl-king has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Hello, I'm Nazgûl-king. I've known of this site for a little while but just recently joined. I saw the movies before I read the books, though by now I have read the books about two times each. I have also read The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and The Children of Húrin.
Nazgûl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #2971
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome, Nazûl-king. Enjoy your "deadness". Sounds like you're ready to jump in to discussions. I look forward to seeing you here-abouts.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #2972
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome Nazgûl-king, have a happy experience here in the downs.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #2973
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Thumbs up

Thanks for the Welcome guys!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #2974
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Hi! I've been in love with Tolkien's books for years and have spent hundreds of hours reading up on Tolkien related material(including essays and discussions on the internet) but this is the first time I've joined a Tolkien forum to participate in debates myself. Be nice to me!
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #2975
Mithol

Hello. I'm Mithol and I found a link to this forum from an Eragon forum. It's been a long while since I've been "into" Tolkien and so I decided to join a forum which looked considerably active. I am even thinking of rereading the books again soon. I am more into movies than books, so I've seen the films more recently than I've read the books. I have to say that for five years after seeing them I thought they were the best movies ever made. And forever and ever they will remain smoewhere near the top of my list of favourites.

I was introduced to LOTR when I was nine or ten years old by the cartoon movie from the seventies and loved it so much, despite being of questionable quality. That was shortly before we heard that the PJ movies were being made. I would have gone straight to the cinema except that my mother made me read the books first and I'm glad she did because, even at ten, I appreciated them as a masterpiece. 2004 was my biggest year for Tolkien. I was a huge nut that year. I was a member of the then very active forums that can now be found at www.lotrfanmb.com and used to have a link from www.lordoftherings.net. My username was Eowynmaiar. If anyone here knows me then hello to you.

Anyway, that was my life story. Sorry for all the waffling.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:01 AM   #2976
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs Mithol! If the Eragon board was Inheritance Forums from Shurtugal.com, then that was me that posted that link under the user-name DragonRiderDurza! Have a good time here at the Downs!
Old 12-16-2007, 02:49 AM   #2977
Mithol

Yes, that was it. Lol. Thanks for that.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:40 AM   #2978
limwen_elensar

White Tree

Hi, i'm Clare, fancied joining yet another forum.
Limwen Elensar is my name in Elvish (first name actual translation, last name just a random generator thing).
Um... i'm 17... have read the books 12 times total (probably only 8 or 9 times including introduction and appendices)... seen each film 6 or 7 times. Read the hobbit about 20 times. Tried the silmarillion but didn't really get on with it.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #2979
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Welcome Limwen! You read the books quite a bit. The Silmarillion is slightly hard to get through (though some of our great Tolkein historians here might disagree) but if you ever can make it, it's a great book.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #2980
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome, zxcvbn, Mithol and limwen_elensar! Also, a late welcome to Nazgûl-king, who seems to be very much home in here already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin
The Silmarillion is slightly hard to get through (though some of our great Tolkein historians here might disagree) but if you ever can make it, it's a great book.
I don't consider myself a "great Tolkien historian" but I don't think it's hard. The Christmas Holiday would be a great time to start. Just take the book, a quiet place, something good to eat/drink, possibly some non-distractive music and some time and the book has enchanted you before you notice. I promise.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:34 AM   #2981
Ainu Laire

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Nerwen, I do remember that! I will admit that the MC is a guilty pleasure of mine, but nevertheless the deleterius spoof was very, very well written and had me rolling on the floor. I need to visit that community sometime again.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:32 AM   #2982
Witch-king of Angmar
Newly Deceased

Witch-king of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Greetings, I stumbled onto these forums earlier this night and after some time of reading posts I became very impressed with the type of people who post here. So I thought it might be nice to join a group of such likable and intelligent people.
Witch-king of Angmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:59 AM   #2983
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welcome, Witch-King of Angmar. I hope we don't disappoint you.

I'm curious about your choice of moniker. Do you plan to discuss the Books? Films? ....get involved in rpgs? All of it?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #2984
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post

I'm curious about your choice of moniker. Do you plan to discuss the Books? Films? ....get involved in rpgs? All of it?
the quiz room is where all the cool kids go by the way...
Old 12-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #2985
Witch-king of Angmar
Newly Deceased

Witch-king of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post

Probably check out the Book and movie forums for the most part. (Although one can never tell where they will end up spending time, so I may end up joing the rpgs and doing other stuff.) As for my moniker, it simply comes from me being fascinated by the Nazgûl when I first read the books as the young age of twelve. This fascination with them and their leader has not dimmed over time, so it was the first thing that came to my mind when thinking of a name for this message board.
Witch-king of Angmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #2986
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Welcome, Witch-King of Angmar! Have a good time here at the downs!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:01 AM   #2987
Ytheogan

Greetings everyone!

I am somewhat of a newcomer to the works of Tolkien. As an avid reader, it is very exciting to find a public forum where I can exchange thoughts with other fans of this wonderful series!

Regards,
Ytheogan
Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 AM   #2988
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Welcome, Ytheogan! I can say you chose the right place to start! We'll be happy to exchange thoughts with you and discuss things that interest you. Welcome to the Downs!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #2989
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limwen_elensar View Post
Tried the silmarillion but didn't really get on with it.
I'm with Finduilas on this ... I found the Silmarillion hard when I first read it - Foster's complete guide to Middle Earth which can be got cheaply on Amazon was a great help, keeping me straight with all the many similar names. Also dont' be put off looking at Unfinished tales just because you haven't got on with the Silmarillion - there is a lot of LOTR / Hobbit related stuff you would probably enjoy.

And welcome.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #2990
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Welcome, Ytheogan! What an interesting moniker! It has an Eorling ring to it.

Enjoy your rest amongst the Dead of the Barrowdowns.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #2991
samwise7
Pile O'Bones

samwise7 has just left Hobbiton.
I stumbled upon this site yesterday when I was looking for information on Role-playing in the 4th Age of Middle-earth.

I figured I would get myself a name and look around a bit.

I'm definitely a Tolkien Geek, and I have a big shelf of nothing but his books, and books on Middle-earth.

Just thought I would say hi.
samwise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #2992
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Welcome, samwise7! You surely did not make a mistake by joining us. Enjoy your stay here!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #2993
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Welcome, samwise7! Enjoy your death and feel welcome to look around more than "a bit"!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #2994
samwise7
Pile O'Bones

samwise7 has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks for the welcome.

Interesting forum you have here.
A sane being would have given up, but Samwise burned with a magnificent madness; a growing obsession to surmount every obstacle. He knew he would try again, fail perhaps, and try once more, a thousand thousand times if need be.
samwise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:40 AM   #2995
zxcvbn
Wight

A warm welcome to all the new members above! But I wish you guys were more active. This forum is almost dead for most of the day!

Last edited by zxcvbn; 01-18-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #2996
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
I find it's usually quality over quantity on this board, except in my case when it's neither.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #2997
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbn View Post
This forum is almost dead for most of the day!
Now that depends on your time zone! Just when is day?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #2998
zxcvbn
Wight

Well, right now it's past 7 PM here. Using that, you can figure out. Usually I don't see more than 1-2 memebers, and at most I see 6 or 7. Funny that while this forum gets thousands of visitors everyday, only like 2% of them are members.

Last edited by zxcvbn; 01-18-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #2999
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, I'd say as Elmo said, it's not about quantity but about quality here. And this is no chat, this is a forum. And concerning the members you see, there are also lots of members who for certain times stay in invisible mode - so there is sometimes more members online than only these whose names you see (compare with the number of online members written above the list of them).
Old 01-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #3000
zxcvbn
Wight

Nevertheless there aren't many of them posting at any given time. I'm not complaining, just feeling a little sad that I have to wait atleast half an hour for a reply when I'm in the mood for a long, juicy discussion. By the way, what do you think of my post in the 'HOB Chapters into Scenes Weekly' thread?