The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #41
Lord Halsar
Haunting Spirit

Location: 'Round the corner, down the well, passed the Balrog, straight to HELL!
Lord Halsar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Thank You... I think.
though it was not my intention to make it a humor article in the mirth, i guess its better than nothing.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #42
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Halsar
and besides, with Tolkien, anything is possible.
I would disagree. In a fiction writing course taken back somewhere around the beginning of time, we were cautioned about writing fantasy that was so unbelieveable that no reader would be able to place his/her feet in the world that we created.

Not so is the work of Tolkien. Sure, we have elves and orcs, balrogs and dragons, the mortal and immortal - yet all are bound by laws that permit a consistent world. Elves can walk on the top of freshly-fallen snow, yet cannot fly as if the law of gravity did not exist. Orc arrows fall to earth as would one of mine. A balrog may be the bane of elves and dwarves, but remains a creation of Eru. Frodo gets thirsty. Boromir is still dead.

And so on. Regardless of the specifics, and with few exceptions, Tolkien created a consistent world with a spelled-out design. That world has Eru as All-One, the Creator of Everything, and so if there were another, not sure how that would work. If Eru were the creator of all, yet there were one greater? And if this one were not a creator?

The mind spins (but mine always does).

Tolkien set up a world much like our own, to get our feet in the door, but not like - to keep our eyes bedazzled as so to forget for a while our feet of clay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenamir
Open minded scientists may well differ as to whether light consists of particles or waves
They may just be limited by the words 'particles' and 'waves,' and light may just be wavicles. Regardless, experiments are performed and data are gathered, then conclusions, however complete or tenuous, are drawn.

P.S. davem would would not be so terse and unversed.

Last edited by alatar; 03-30-2007 at 01:21 PM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #43
Lord Halsar
Haunting Spirit

Location: 'Round the corner, down the well, passed the Balrog, straight to HELL!
Lord Halsar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You misunderstand me. i know this that you have presented. i am not saying that the laws of nature do not aply to Middle Earth. i am merely stating it is, shall we say, fantasy terms. a way to express tolkien's ingenuity and the ability to make such a complicated, yet understandable world.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #44
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Halsar
You misunderstand me. i know this that you have presented. i am not saying that the laws of nature do not aply to Middle Earth. i am merely stating it is, shall we say, fantasy terms. a way to express tolkien's ingenuity and the ability to make such a complicated, yet understandable world.
Maybe so; maybe not. I speak not only of the laws of nature, but the 'laws of Tolkien' as well. He set up a world and then attempted to stay within the rules of that world. It's that consistency that makes for a good read. Think of a mystery that you've read where, all of the sudden, a new character conveniently shows up and has some effect that completely ruins the story, as you sit and think, "Well, isn't that just sooo convenient!" Think that that's called deus ex machina, and can lose the reader's confidence.

Probably should have used the word rule instead of law. Sorry for the confusion.