The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2004, 05:35 PM   #1
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Earendil as Venus and the Dome of Stars

Hi, I was just thinking, what are the views of the Dome of Stars (HoMe X) here, and the result (if it's adopted) that all stellar bodies were created in the same ancient era? What would this mean for Earendil, which in LotR is specifically reffered to as a star? Would it continue to be Venus, or simply a (now gone) Silmarill flying in the heavens, or is the Revised Silmarillion going with a 'Flat World' cosmology? Thanks.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Good question.

It was decided toward the beginning of the project that this would be a flat earth cosmology Silmarillion. The notes in MT outlining the change to a round earth cosmology were deemed unworkable (that is, implementing them would require a great deal of creative re-writing of the ealier material.

Various proposals for a round earth version have been made, though. And I don't think it was ever made entirely clear whether we are saying that Arda is truly flat or merely that in the Numenorean "Silmarillion" tradition it is said to be flat.

In any case, though, this does mean that we don't have to worry about the Earendil as Venus problem - which is in my mind the biggest flaw in the MT round earth cosmology.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote