Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #1161
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm glad that our posts are amusing everyone Folwren! Erbrand won't strike at Thornden, as he very well might Crabannan (ha, spelled it right, I think). I won't spoil the rest of what I have in mind, but those few posts have unleashed a dam of possibilities for me.

I'll see what I can do this evening.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #1162
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Groin, I am definitely looking forward to your post to see just what Erbrand does.

Elempi, I've posted for Saeryn. That might amuse you.

This certain has turned into a courtship story....seriously....

-- Folwren
Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #1163
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
In her mind’s eye she saw Erbrand and Kara embracing, and Harreld and Kara watching at a little distance, holding hands.
Folwren, unless Erbrand has yet another rival, that second Kara maybe ought to be Ginna?
Old 12-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #1164
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hahahaha! Thanks! I GREATLY appreciate that!

Oh, the hought is hillarious!

-- Foley
Old 12-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #1165
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Folwren, unless Erbrand has yet another rival, that second Kara maybe ought to be Ginna?
Hahaha! Ouch, I'm taking that hit for Ginna. So much for friendship.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #1166
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry that I wasn't able to get my post up yesterday. It was game night with the Boy Scouts and we took longer than I thought. Y'all will be happy to know that I borrowed several ideas for the games from toDay. The sack-fight was hit, no one could refrain from doing it a second time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
One war at a time, please!

My post is up. Although the two have not resorted to blows with fists, I dealt a few venomous blows with words at your character, Folwren, please don't take them as if I was directing them at you, just your character. Also, please note that the last sentence that Erbrand says is not one of mock, he really knows that Thornden is superior to him in fighting and knows that he will probably fall under Thornden's staff. I hope the post is what you wanted, I certainly enjoyed writing it.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #1167
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh my goodness!

Nogrod, this certainly confuses matters. I'll PM you.

Groin, that's quite a post! Poor Thornden! Poor Erbrand! Such a misunderstanding! And he stormed off, so Thornden doesn't have a chance to answer!

No worries, I took absolutely nothing personally.

Okay, I guess that's all that can be said at this point. I might post once more before the quarterstaff fight, but it looks like we're ready for you, Noggy.
Cheers.

-- Folwren
Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #1168
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post

Groin, that's quite a post! Poor Thornden! Poor Erbrand! Such a misunderstanding! And he stormed off, so Thornden doesn't have a chance to answer!
Did you want to post? I'm sorry, the reason I ended the discussion was because I remembered Nogrod saying he'll get the game posted today. Tell you what I'll take out the last sentence in my post so that Thornden may respond if he wishes, and if Nogrod posts the game I'll simply edit my post.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #1169
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
if Nogrod posts the game I'll simply edit my post.
No need to rush people. Lommy and Greenie just went to their mother's place and I'm starting to pick up the pieces for the Q-staff -thing. It will anyway take a few posts - which also means a few days - to have it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Sorry to rain on your game, Noggie, but the three way quarterstaff fight seems unworkable to me. I suggest a play-in round by non-soldiers and less experienced soldiers instead. Up to you, of course.
The problem with the latter is that it calls for 11 matches of quarterstaff fighting... I'm afraid I'll run out ideas before it's completed - and it takes hours to write and read.

But I'm working on a concept right now and here's a few I've been entertaining myself with thus far. If anyone is around, please comment:

1. Totally anarchic three way fight, everyone against the two others. Short-lived alliances, treachery, cunning "back-whacking" (thanks for the term Foley!).

2. A litle more ordered three way fight where at any time there are only two fighting each other but either one can call the third one to the fray in their place by fex. touching them with the staff or something.

3. A team fight (teams of two or three). The teams might be something naturallish like "resident craftsmen", "newcomers", "household staff"... whatever, depending mostly on whether there would be teams of two or three.

4. Other?

I'll be online for a few hours so please feek free to come forwards with your opinions.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #1170
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I think I'm going to make it a team event after all. After looking at the contestants and considering the amount of writing (and reading for you... ) it's the easier way still promising nice opportunities to come up with fun suprises and stuff like that. There's ample room for all kinds of teamplay and mayhem but it could be held together better than the anarchic three way fight.

Now I'm just asking for your opinions on the following line-ups eg. whether it should be a two-man teams or three-man -teams game.

My suggestions for the teams would be as follows.

Pair-game:

Eodwine 43
Thornden 25
*easy, the leaders*

Balvir 40+
Lithor 49
*elderly soldiers*

Aethelstan 23
Osmund 21
*soldiers, were already together in the wood-mission*

Garstan 35
Stigend 30
*the craftsman-duo*

Harreld 35
Erbrand 28
*both are craftsmen as well*

Dan 24
Crabannan 38
*the newcomers who are not craftsmen*

Three-man teams:

Eodwine
Thornden
Balvir
*leaders*

Lithor
Aethelstan
Osmund
*soldiers*

Garstan
Stigend
Harreld
*resident craftsmen*

Erbrand
Dan
Crabannan
*newcomers*

If you wish, we can make the winning team members fight it out in the end to find out the single champion... but I'm not sure how good an idea it would be.

Also, if you strongly protest against a team-game or the line-ups I've suggested * I'll promise to reconsider this.

* the line-ups could be made via lottery as well...

PS. A pair-game would be nice but it has some logistical problems as it leads to six games and thence for three winners... but using lmp's suggestion of a "play-in" might solve that; but who should be the two pairs that could just relax the first round, the leaders and the elderly soldiers? That might be plausible.

Last edited by Nogrod; 12-07-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #1171
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

So, the teams would be fighting against each other? For instances, Thornden and Eodwine would fight against Balvir and Lithor? That might be interesting. In a sense, it would at first be like two individual bouts going on. And then, once one contestant on one team was knocked down, it would be two against one, and that person would quickly be overcome. Is this right? It sounds interesting. People could have all sorts of opportunity to come up with strategies or something.

I think if you'd rather do that and can't think of any other quick way that you could write it, then I wouldn't mind. I'm just speaking for myself.

By the way, thanks for your help on the issue I PMed you about.

-- Foley
Old 12-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #1172
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
And then, once one contestant on one team was knocked down, it would be two against one, and that person would quickly be overcome. Is this right?
Possibly... there might be room for some heroism as well... we'd need to see what the dices say.

But you got the idea right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
can't think of any other quick way that you could write it
There are no quick ways for me... only less gigantic ones.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #1173
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Wilcred has taken over the leading of the Q-staff game from Lithor and announced the general rules.

You have something like 24 hours to post before the first matches. Unless I'm more busy tomorrow I hope I am at the moment. But I should be able to post the first matches tomorrow around this time.

Meanwhile I'm (sleeping & going to work) awaiting for your suggestions for the mechanics of the game.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #1174
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Recalling business...

Groin, don't bother editing. I'll post something, but Thornden doesn't have to say anything more to Erbrand. He's got plently to think about which I can write on.

It was a great post.

-- Foley
Old 12-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #1175
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Groin, don't bother editing. I'll post something, but Thornden doesn't have to say anything more to Erbrand. He's got plently to think about which I can write on.

It was a great post.

-- Foley
Harreld could not quite stay out of it. Let's assume that he heard Erbrand's final jibe - er - I mean words. Feel free, Foley, to write some appropriate words for Harreld if you want to have him for Thornden to talk to.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #1176
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh! He's alreayd edited! I see! I see! Excellent. This is even more fun. I am definitely deriving FAR too much pleasure from this.

I'll post tonight.

-- Foley
Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #1177
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think I like what you've had Harreld say, Foley. I was considering asking you to change it so that Harreld demands an apology from Erbrand for Thornden's sake, but upon consideration, that's something Eodwine would do, not Harreld. So it's just right how it is. I like how Thornden stays above it. Hee hee! I like the good cop/bad cop action here.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #1178
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Great. I was a little worried that I handled things wrong.

Groin, what about your character? Did I do alright by him?

-- Foley
Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 AM   #1179
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Foley and Groin! *dies laughing*
Old 12-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #1180
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Looking at the latest developements I must say this quartestaff-fight will become quite a game indeed. Just look up above and see that I had planned Erbrand and Harreld to be a pair in the fight!!!

I will be letting an unbalanced lottery to decide the outcomes but it is very well possible that if Erbrand and Harreld will go through they might meet Thornden and Eodwine as well... Quite a nice situation. Should I unbalance the dices a bit more to assure that actually happens?

Okay, I won't push it. But we'll see.

If you people have any ideas how your characters would react to those possible scenarios, please let me know. First it would be a question of how Harreld and Erbrand would fight together as a team?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #1181
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

PS. (this time meaning "pro-scriptum") If you wish not to spoil the fight, read the actual thread first...

But to all those wishing to have a sneak-view behind the scenes of the first match here's the deal.

1. AH
2. OH
3. AH
4. DH
5. OH
6. CH
7. CH
8. CK
9. AH
10. AH
11. CFH
12. CH
13. CH
14. DK
15. DH
16. OK
17. AH
18. AH
19. AFH
20. OH
21. OH
22. AH
23. CH
24. DH
25. CH
26. OH
27. AH
28. AFH
29. AH
30. AH
31. DH
32. OH
33. OFH
34. OFH
35. CFH
36. AH
37. OH
38. DH
39. CH
40. AK
41. OH
42. DFH
43. DH
44. CH
45. AFH
46. OFH
47. DH
48. OH
49. DH
50. CFH
51. OH
52. AFH

I only managed to advance to the 11th. step. Both Dan and Osmund would have had some nice moves just coming... But this really ended quickly - and just the way it should have if one looks at how it went... Scary

So what is it?

XH is X gives a hit to someone
XFH is X gives a forceful hit to someone eg. makes a great performance
XK is X makes a winning move against someone

The number of hits given to any person involved is in proportion to their stamina and energy, the number of forceful hits is in proportion to their strengtht, superior agility or balance gives one the possibility of ducking a hit etc... And all that was run through a randomiser (this is just plain wonderful site!) giving me this result. You'll see it verbalised in the thread.

I may upgrade my system for the next round actually adding some "outstanding saving manouvers" there as well so that it's not only the number of hits coming first to determine the result. Well, it was not so much of that this time but I can see it might go that way pretty easily, with less outstanding luck.

And if Harreld and Erbrand have issues, those need to take precedence. So what do you think elempi and Groin?

* Of course A means Aethelstan, O means Osmund, D is for Dan and C for Crabannan...

Last edited by Nogrod; 12-08-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #1182
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Gwath and Eonwë

I made a short dialogue between your characters in the beginning of my post and I dared to enter Crabannan's mind in the latter part of the post. Please let me know if it's okay or if I should change something.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #1183
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Excellent job Nogrod, you did a wonderful job with capturing the action!

Foley, you did fine with Erbrand. That's probably what I would've written as well.

You paired Harreld and Erbrand up? This will be awkward! I think that this will mean that they will act less like a team and more like individuals. What do you think Elempi?

The posting button isn't working for me on the Scarburg Hall so I'm going to post Erbrand's response here. If one of y'all could post it for me in the RPG I will be very grateful.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #1184
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Erbrand

“That is what I wished in the first place, but if you will not seek me out in the games I will seek you out and force you to fight against me!”

Erbrand’s temper had cooled since his outburst against Thornden’s first scolding, and with the coming of Harreld his temper lessened. Nevertheless, he was agitated by the smith’s prying about his private quarrel with Harreld.

“As for you master blacksmith,” Erbrand said, “I did not know that this matter concerned you.”

“This matter concerns my friend, you best be getting ready now.”

The smith was stern in his speech, and it wounded Erbrand again being told what to do.
For two long years Erbrand had been pitied or rejected for his solitude. This was not what he wanted and his temper had become hotter and his attitude colder towards his prying neighbors of Aldburg, Harreld sounded just like them and it brought those unpleasant memories. His fists were clenched as if ready to strike and resist the familiar words of rebuke. Erbrand was tired of being shoved around, but he still had the wits to see that he could only make matters worse by staying, so with a slight nod he left both of them.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #1185
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Should that post for Erbrand be attached to the end of Foley's last post rather than after the first Q-staff fight? I'm happy with how it is now - and thanks Kath for acting on it. But storywise it would fit better before the fight as they should watch out the first game and concentrate on their match...

Not a big deal, that is, just a suggestion...
Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #1186
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I can put it at the end of mine if no one else has posted it.

Does that mean that Erbrand and Thornden have to fight now? I mean, if he's officially asked him to...or something...

I have to get back to class. I'll see if someone else posted Groin's post, and if not, I'll do so, and then I'm out of here.

-- Foley
Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #1187
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Does that mean that Erbrand and Thornden have to fight now? I mean, if he's officially asked him to...or something...
Ha ha, I could imagine the two chasing each other around the ring, Thornden trying to get away and Erbrand trying to brain him with a staff! Erbrand really wants to fight Thornden and has insisted on it, so I'm sure there would be no disgrace if Thornden accepts the challenge. However, if he declines... *rubs his hands in anticipation*
Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #1188
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Ha ha, I could imagine the two chasing each other around the ring, Thornden trying to get away and Erbrand trying to brain him with a staff! Erbrand really wants to fight Thornden and has insisted on it, so I'm sure there would be no disgrace if Thornden accepts the challenge. However, if he declines... *rubs his hands in anticipation*
Woah! Wrong picture! Wrong picture!

Quite humorous, mayhap, but Thornden won't run. He's not a coward, for goodness' sake! He'll ask not to fight, but if it comes out that they have to, he'll fight him.

As for a later challenge...well...I WAS going to tell you what Thornden would do, but I'm going to let you wait and see.

-- Foley
Old 12-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #1189
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

And in any case Erbrand and Harreld have to pull it together enough to beat Garstan and Stigend first before Erbrand can start thinking about meeting Thornden in a fight...
Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #1190
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

A question on people's priorities.

I seem to have quite a rush on the rest of the week + the weekend so which one would you prefer? That you get more detailed Q-staff fights even if the last one would then come sometime next week (I might be able to write a couple of them between now and Monday and the last ones would then be written sometime next week) or that we'll get done away with the Q-staff fight a.s.a.p. when I could write them off before Monday but they would be a lot less detailed and kind of general descriptions of how the fights went?

If you have enough interaction between you going on I'd prefer the first one but if you feel you'd like to move forwards more quickly the second option is okay to me as well.

In any case I think Erbrand should answer Harreld before I go on writing the fight with Erbrand and Harreld involved...
Old 12-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #1191
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbrand, addressing Harreld
I think it best if I took on the more nimbler of our opponents while you take on the stouter fighter.
Should I read this that Erbrand wishes to go for Stigend and suggests Harreld should take on Garstan? I mean that was the exact way I thought Stigend and Garstan would think about their "division of labour"; Stigend going for Erbrand and Garstan trying to handle Harreld...
Old 12-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #1192
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Should I read this that Erbrand wishes to go for Stigend and suggests Harreld should take on Garstan? I mean that was the exact way I thought Stigend and Garstan would think about their "division of labour"; Stigend going for Erbrand and Garstan trying to handle Harreld...
If Stigend is the nimbler of the two, yes you read it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
Woah! Wrong picture! Wrong picture!
Would it be funnier if Thornden chased Erbrand around?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #1193
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Would it be funnier if Thornden chased Erbrand around?
Anything could scarcely be funnier but it might be more appropriate. I'm kidding! I don't mean to indicate any lack of bravery on Erbrand's side!

Nogrod, I love your detailed posts. At the same time, I'm terribly impatient. So I'm not a good person to ask if either you should write longer posts and take a longer time or if you should get it all over with but with less detail. I'd be happy either way. That does not help, does it?

-- Foley

Last edited by Folwren; 12-09-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #1194
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nogrod, when you write your post for Erbrand and Harreld in the quarterstaff fight, you may begin it with Harreld agreeing to Erbrand's idea.

I am quite busy lately, and can manage to wait a bit so if you want to write the detailed kind of fight, I'm okay with it.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #1195
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Nogrod, when you write your post for Erbrand and Harreld in the quarterstaff fight, you may begin it with Harreld agreeing to Erbrand's idea.
That will be done. I'll try to make later today (after I've done some essay-reading...).
Old 12-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #1196
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well, to pass the time of day, I have written a post for Saeryn.

I have two things to say. One, it is very interesting writing about one character talking so about another of my characters... And two, I have been reading far too much Jane Austen lately, clearly.

-- Foley
Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #1197
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi
"But just between you and me, I think that if our smith had not gotten such a fire lit in his heart for Ginna, I would have expected that she'd make a good match for our Thornden. What think you?"
Oh my goodness. I guess this means you guessed correctly? You know, I really wanted Ginna and Thornden to be an item from the very beginning, but Harreld won even ME over. It would have been interesting, though. Don't you think so, Foley?

Hahaha, suddenly I can't wait to bring Randvér to the Hall.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 12-11-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #1198
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
Oh my goodness. I guess this means you guessed correctly? You know, I really wanted Ginna and Thornden to be an item from the very beginning, but Harreld won even ME over. It would have been interesting, though. Don't you think so, Foley?

Hahaha, suddenly I can't wait to bring Randvér to the Hall.
Don't I think...? What? lol! Caught even ME off guard there! I didn't know it was an option. That's hilarious. I guess it could've been a go, but I don't know what's going to happen once Randver comes, so I won't say anything at all about whether it'll be possible in the future at all...

-- Foley
Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #1199
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Amusing post, Foley. At first when you had Saeryn and Rowenna look at each other, I thought they were silently reading each others' minds the way matchmaking women sometimes seem to do. But since you didn't go that way, I think I'll have Rowenna be stupendously dense as to Saeryn's thoughts this time; precisely because Rowenna, literally, cannot (as in incapable of it) imagine matching up with Thornden. It would simply never occur to her.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #1200
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Amusing post, Foley. At first when you had Saeryn and Rowenna look at each other, I thought they were silently reading each others' minds the way matchmaking women sometimes seem to do. But since you didn't go that way, I think I'll have Rowenna be stupendously dense as to Saeryn's thoughts this time; precisely because Rowenna, literally, cannot (as in incapable of it) imagine matching up with Thornden. It would simply never occur to her.
Oh, you can make Rowenna think whatever she likes! I think Saeryn was just looking at her because she was thinking so hard about her and Thornden.

-- Foley

P.S. It is slightly amusing, slightly annoying, that this board only allows three smiley faces per post. I'm on another board where you can do as many as you like, and I tell you....some people go bonkers with them. It's mostly the women who do that.