The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #441
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
*points to his spiffy new title*

I do believe the seniment is appropriate.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #442
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Does this title make my butt look big?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #443
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Your hindquarters, not so much. Your head, a little. Only a little, though, O She Who Subdues the North.
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #444
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

Cool titles, those of you who already have them, all of you! I approves of all!

And for those who haven't picked theirs yet, surely looking forward to seeing them and hoping they'll be equally interesting.

And for all of you together, congratulations are in order, in any case! You all deserve them!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #445
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have been pretty much jumping around the room with joy since I read the PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I'm still trying to decide what mine shall be. Such difficult choices!
Indeed! I'm still deciding. I think I'll come up with one this evening.

(And thanks Legate! )

*edit: good-bye Cardolan! I have a nice new shiny title to display! Yuppieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!*

Thanks Barrow Wight!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 03-07-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #446
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
This is so exciting! Congratulations to you all!

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #447
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Congratulations to all the new PTers. I'm very much enjoying the new titles and seeing how they fit/describe the image I have of each poster.

I can repeat what Gal55 said: thank you, Barrow Wight. These wights are very deserving.

PS. Galadriel55, you know your PT will become a topic of some discussion this Tolkien Reading Day!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #448
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
What fun to see new, imaginative PTs! Congratulations to all of you!

Now just imagine an über-cute photo of applauding skwerlz...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #449
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Wow, I'm feeling all classy now. Good choices by the way, folks!
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #450
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Wow, I'm feeling all classy now. Good choices by the way, folks!
Thanks! I really like yours too! Funny thing, I've considered a few titles with the words "leaf" and "lady". I'm glad I didn't pick them! Otherwise, we would clash!

Great new titles everyone! And there are more comming, I think.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #451
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I might be one of the few Downers who never gave her PT a thought (apart from coming up with Lommy's Pet Dwarf, which she thinks I should choose), so I'm open to preferably sinister, bawdy and/or violent suggestions.

Greenie, your new title is very stimulating.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #452
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
PS. Galadriel55, you know your PT will become a topic of some discussion this Tolkien Reading Day!
Will you and I be discussing while the others are trying to figure out what we are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Lommy's Pet Dwarf
^.^ Better than Boro's Dance Partner

But, seriously, I think that "dancer" fits you nicely. Water Dancer is the first thing that came into my head, but that's a wrong mythology. Dancing Lioness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
preferably sinister, bawdy and/or violent suggestions
Bloodthirsty Devil.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #453
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
^.^ Better than Boro's Dance Partner

Yeah no, I think I'll skip that one as well.

I am currently toying with some Thuringwethil/Ungoliant/balrog ideas, but I'm far from decided. Thanks for the suggestions, O Lady of Dwimordene.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #454
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Agan, yours should be The Whisperer In Darkness, The Thing On the Doorstep, or Death From Above.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #455
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I am glad to be of service, O Unnamed Horror. (Hmm... maybe you want to be a Namless Thing? )

Balrog:

A Winged Balrog
Fire of Moria
Demon of Power

Ungoliant:

Weaver of Shadow/Darkness
Bane of the Trees
Daughter of Unlight
Everlasting Lust

Yeah, those are more about them than containing them... No ideas with Thuringwethil yet.

Edit: xed with Zil who has much better suggestions (actually!) But it's all up to Agan in the end.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #456
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Alternately for Agan, Gleefully Grisly or Nebulous Nightwind / Nightmare.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #457
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
so I'm open to preferably sinister, bawdy and/or violent suggestions.
Based on your old avatar, why not just have:

Mufasacidal Martinet
Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #458
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
...I'm open to preferably sinister, bawdy and/or violent suggestions.
I keep thinking of the Nidhoggr, the wyrm that gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasil. And the un-named things that live in the roots of Middengeard...

Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #459
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Everlasting Lust
I think we pretty much have a winner....
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #460
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
"The Thing That Should Not Be"?

Sorry, wrong mythology...
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #461
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Mufasacidal Martinet
Well, you at least have a quite fitting PT...
Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #462
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Now just imagine an über-cute photo of applauding skwerlz...
Would this meet with your approval, Ms. Telcontar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55
Will you and I be discussing while the others are trying to figure out what we are talking about?
Mwa ha ha. You brought the banana; you will have to deal with cross-discussing.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #463
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Mwa ha ha. You brought the banana; you will have to deal with cross-discussing.
And I intend to bring another one to Reading Day. Plus, the banana already became part of the moot silliness - and you're partially to blame.

And to keep this on topic...-ish (or that skwerl will suddenly stop being cute!), here's a list with Thuringwethil-related things:

Secret Shadow
Death on Wings
Flight of Darkness
Tidings of Death (this one is also referencing to Faramir's line about Boromir's death - how tidings of death have many wings...)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #464
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Or the whimsical Dreadfully Delightful, or maybe Capricious Cougar.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #465
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Biter.

There's always Pixiediculous.

Wielder of Isildur and Mim

Karhu-Muna

Permanently Prepared

Devourer of All Things / Slays King, Ruins Town

Vicious Vixen

Creepy Crawly

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #466
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Agan, yours should be The Whisperer In Darkness, The Thing On the Doorstep, or Death From Above.
Totally wrong mythos By the way, were these three supposed to refer to the aforementioned Thuringwethil-Ungoliant-Balrog? Respectively??? (points at the latest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Quote:
Everlasting Lust
I think we pretty much have a winner....
Yes, that looks pretty much convincing. However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Karhu-Muna
is my favourite this far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Biter.
I think she possibly wouldn't mind even Biter and Beater, for that matter.

Ungoliant-related still, the "Mistress of Her Own Lust" is probably too long, is it? Otherwise, I can't think right now of anything similar from the mythos. But the one pointed above by G55 I think is related enough.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #467
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I think she possibly wouldn't mind even Biter and Beater, for that matter.

Ungoliant-related still, the "Mistress of Her Own Lust" is probably too long, is it? Otherwise, I can't think right now of anything similar from the mythos. But the one pointed above by G55 I think is related enough.
I like Beater and Biter. Maybe Devouring Fire as well, or, on the "teeth" motif, We Has Only Six.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #468
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I don't get what's all the "wrong mythos" stuff about. Is that a reference to some other fantasy book?

Playng with Everlasting Lust, you can get Everlasting and Everlusting, or something like Ever Thirsting Never Drinking - though that one might be too close to Hooky's Alive Without Breath.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #469
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Wow, what a nice surprise. And nice choices everybody!

Agan: Lascivious Lioness? But I must say I like Biter and Beater as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
Greenie, your new title is very stimulating.
You know, this sounds as if it was Leafy Lettuce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Lady of Dwimordene
I don't get what's all the "wrong mythos" stuff about. Is that a reference to some other fantasy book?
Read at your own peril.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #470
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I want you to know that I love all your suggestions! If Lommy was home, she'd probably be wondering why I'm chuckling alone in my room.

However, I'm also letting you know that I'm not going to pick a Lovecraft-themed PT, because delightful as it was to read his stories alone, at the summer cabin in the middle of the night, in my teens, it also scared the crap out of me. I like to think I've grown more stable since, but you never know.

Mistress of Her Own Lust is one I thought of, as was Unlight. My options also included Naked Flame and Shadow and Flame, but I think I've now more or less decided what to choose...

edit: xed with Pitch. Wee hee I like it! Very appropriate.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #471
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Lord Wight of that Ol' Forest down yonder View Post
Might be I will, some time or other.

<3 your title.

Agan, I can't wait to see yours!

Edit: Good one, Ms Thuringwethil!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 03-09-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #472
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Still settling on mine. It is, presumably, permanent and I want to get it right.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #473
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You should work on that basis..... Fea and Esty have changed theirs but I reckon they are the exceptions that prove the rule. So not to be done lightly. Others have things that suit them well but I still like mine best for me... It is like the Elvish self naming..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-11-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #474
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Well hello fellow title receivers
Yaaasss min.

Enjoying the huns' demise, Elmo? I certainly am! Long overdue.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #475
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
With all of the new titles recently, this thread has certainly seen a revival! I wanted to put in my two cents. I am rather enjoying G55's, Agan's, and Greenie's. All are clever an pretty, so I like them.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #476
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Thank you! How long have you had yours? Because I could swear I haven't seen it until now (except it's possible I have - I get this feeling of old and new at the same time, if you know what I mean)! Anyway, I like it. I think it suits you really well.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #477
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Thank you! How long have you had yours? Because I could swear I haven't seen it until now (except it's possible I have - I get this feeling of old and new at the same time, if you know what I mean)! Anyway, I like it. I think it suits you really well.
You're welcome. It took me a while longer to decide on one than the rest of you guys, but not too much longer. I think I've had mine for two or three months. Honestly, how much have I posted since then, though?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #478
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Mine is a pun.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #479
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Yeah, I noticed it. It's great.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #480
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Nerwen has hers!!! And not afore time...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote