The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-13-2003, 05:10 AM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting The Bridge Of Khazad-dum

Was the Balrog small enough to cross the bridge? If not then maybe Gandalf could have just run out and left it, thus avoiding death.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:27 AM   #2
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is a difficult matter to discuss the actual size of a balrog, being a creature of shadow and flame, an evil spirit covered in flames.
They are described as "man-like" except that fire streamed from them, and they were swathed in dark shadow.
If you take this litteraly, a balrog would have the size of a man, and he would be able to cross the bridge.
But "men-like" could also describe their appearance, and not the size. It could look like a man, but ten times bigger than a man.

Hey, maybe he was to big to cross the bridge, but he could fly over it! But that leads us to another discussion... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2003, 05:30 AM   #3
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The bridge was big enough to let men cross more or less fast and comfortably, and the Balrog was of "man-shape, yet greater", so, yes. The Balrog was already standing on the bridge, too. If it got narrower towards the middle, he might have had to leap.
And though I consider it unlikely, I would not categorily rule out the possibility that he might have been able to fly.
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:29 PM   #4
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even if the balrog was twice the size of a man (I think it says this in the fall of Gondolin of balrogs being twice man high) it should have had no problem crossing the bridge. This is shown by the fact that it did in fact go onto the bridge and began to cross, it took Gandalf's breaking the bridge to stop its advance.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 02:52 PM   #5
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Balrogs were almost certainly not actually as big as the one in the movie. I think it probably could have pursued them as long as it wished.

In the movie, it did not make sense for Gandalf to stop on the bridge and challenge the Balrog, because it could almost certainly not have gone out the exit they escaped through, which was just big enough for someone of human or orc size to pass.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:19 PM   #6
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Considering the balrog was there for quite some time, and it certainly knew the bridge was there, I would doubt that it would have attempted to cross the bridge if it was not able to do so. Also, it may have used this bridge when the dwarves were exterminated .
Old 08-15-2003, 08:32 AM   #7
Marroc Underhill
Haunting Spirit

Marroc Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Foot by foot? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] If it did have wings (I'm not saying it does) it was to too small a place to fly back up, and on the Watch Tower Gandalf defeated it. Maybe it did have wings.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:21 PM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Lord of Angmar, you are right. Just another movie mistake.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:19 AM   #9
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Gandalf could have just run out and left it,
I've always wondered why Gandalf stared down at teh Balrog when it was falling. If he hadn't done that, he wouldn't have been grabbed.
[img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:27 AM   #10
Ringannunwen
Animated Skeleton

Ringannunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

yeah, I have to agree [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] And some parts in the movie are weak, but thats what you get i spose for turning a fantasy book into a movie.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:56 AM   #11
Yavanna, Queen of the Earth

Tolkien

Yes, I agree that when you turn a book into a movie, it is invariably very inferior... I don't think people should do this!!! Books are much better than movies. Always. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2003, 12:08 PM   #12
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Quote:
In the movie, it did not make sense for Gandalf to stop on the bridge and challenge the Balrog, because it could almost certainly not have gone out the exit they escaped through, which was just big enough for someone of human or orc size to pass.
I have always thought that, yes, Gandalf could have escaped (in both the book and the movie), but he chose not too. It could be that he had to face the balrog of Morgoth, perhaps as it was fated, or perhaps it was his final test before becoming 'Gandalf the White,' but that is entirely another discussion.

Balrogs are fallen Maiar, are they not? I believe they could make it onto or across a bridges without much difficulty. And, yes, the film most likely exaggerated the size of the balrog greatly. Plus, I am sure the dwarves build bridges that are quite efficient in their purpose. What I wonder is...can balrogs burrow? Okay, nevermind, I'm going off on another discussion here. Unless anyone would like to discuss the possibility of balrogs burrowing? Eh? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 07:12 PM   #13
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the reason that Gandalf stayed to fight the balrog rather than running away from it was because he knew that it needed to be killed, and he was the only one who could have defeated at that moment. He didn't want the balrog to overcome its shyness and come out of Moria and start attacking things (especially Lothlorien) so he stayed to defeat it. No-one else in the fellowship could have defeated it, and only a few others in middle earth could have done so (Glorfindel maybe others) but the elves were leaving and may not have cared or been bothered to fight a balrog.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #14
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Another reason why I think that Gandalf "had" to defeat the Balrog was that I think he had some kind of thought (similar to thinking Gollum had a additional part to play). That told him that the only way that Sauron would be distroyed was if he took on the Balrog, defeated it, and was "reborn".
Old 08-20-2003, 01:08 AM   #15
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

If it was not to make the story more interesting, I am sure Tolkien would have never allowed the Old Wizard to fall down after being hit by the Balrog's wip. He had already defeated the evil being and should have been able to invoke a spell not to fall down.
My guess is that Tolkien wanted to make him more human, though being so powerful he just lost his balance.
If he could defeat or stand up to Ring Wraiths he could certainly stand up to Balrogs.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:02 AM   #16
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
If he could defeat or stand up to Ring Wraiths he could certainly stand up to Balrogs.
You don't mean to say you think a Ring Wraith is more powerful then a Balrog,do you?
Old 08-21-2003, 04:21 AM   #17
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
The Balrogs are Maiar, the same order as Gandalf and the other Istari. The Nazgul are merely Men corrupted by Sauron. The Balrogs are definitely more powerful than the Nazgul. It should have been the other way around.

Welcome to the Downs, samrohan! Enjoy being dead!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Lhunardawen ]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:20 AM   #18
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

i think the balrogs are described to be men of fire
so i guess he could easily cross the bridge of khazad dum if aragorn and boromir could croos it

so i think gandalf did the right thing by stopping and destroying the balrog thus ending the menace of the dwarves forever
Old 02-01-2004, 06:21 AM   #19
Ringannunwen
Animated Skeleton

Ringannunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Balrogs are just a tad bigger than men [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And Balrogs are Maiar, not just men.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:19 AM   #20
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The Balrog would have to have been at least the width of a Man, because I'm sure I read somewhere that the Bridge was wide enough for Dwarves and Men to cross in single file.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:39 PM   #21
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

Perhaps Balrogs are particularly lanky? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2004, 04:19 PM   #22
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I don't know, I kind of liked the way they did it in the movie. Again, PJ had to appeal to everyone, and if the Balrog was just a slightly-taller man-sized being, then the audience would be wondering what the heck is there to fear? I seem to recall the description of the Balrog as hulking and huge in the book.

As far as whether or not it could cross the bridge, the book clearly states it had wings. Whether it could fly or not, I don't know. Maybe it's like a penguin or a chicken's wings. Obviously Gandalf would not have stood against it unless there was a need to. ("Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf") If you mean the weight, the dwarves built their bridges to withstand great weight, I'm sure.

Quote:
I've always wondered why Gandalf stared down at teh Balrog when it was falling. If he hadn't done that, he wouldn't have been grabbed.
After the battle at Balin's Tomb, Gandalf had to rest "even if all the orcs of Moria were upon us".

But it's possible that there was a Greater Power again at work. If Gandalf remained his grey old self, I fear the War of the Ring would have gone much worse.

Quote:
it could almost certainly not have gone out the exit they escaped through, which was just big enough for someone of human or orc size to pass.
Um...I beg to differ, if you are referring to the movie.

Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:17 PM   #23
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Via some references in the Silmarillion, it stands to reason that the Balrog is big, but not huge. How else could they be slain. Ecthelion, in Gondolin, supposedly slew a Balrog (Gothmog, that is) with the pointy tip of his helm. If Balrogs are so big, wouldn't that spike have hit his thigh or ankle? Not a very vital spot. How could a man-size person slay any Balrog with a normal sized weapon if it was two stories tall. I always assumed that the Moria Balrog was roughly three times the size of Gandalf, making him freakishly huge, but not so freakishly huge that a sword couldn't reach his "chest". If he were this big, he could probably cross even a narrow bridge, since even a clumsy man can cross a wide balancing beam if his life depended on it.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:51 PM   #24
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

That's just as big as the movie Balrog is! The book describes it as drawing to a great height (I read the passage after responding to this post earlier), but it was not so tall that Gandalf could not deliver a blow to his chest in The Two Towers. (I refer to the movie here, chiefly because I really liked it, and want to defend the images expressed therein)
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 02-02-2004, 08:15 AM   #25
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

In the movie, the only way that Gandalf could strike the Balrog in the chest was because he was balancing on him as they were falling. If the two were standing on the ground, movie-Gandalf would have been to the Balrog as a duck is to a man.

ie, very small, too small to get Glamdring anywhere near the Balrog's chest.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:09 PM   #26
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Couldn't find the picture, but at the peak of Zirak Zigal, Gandalf thrust Glamdring into the Balrog's chest. This is where I was referring to the height issue.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:14 PM   #27
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

We have the "statistics" for the Balrogs in the First Age, but what if they "shrunk" just as all the other heros shrunk? Think about it. As the Ages went on, all the heroes became comparatively weaker. Elrond wasn't as strong as Fėanor, and Aragorn probably wasn't as strong as Tuor or Turin. What if the same principle could be applied to Balrogs or other creatures of darkness? If they waned in power (and in size) as the ages went on, it would be a lot easier for Gandalf, being a Maia, albeit a "hooded" Maia, to slay or defeat a Balrog in the Third Age, than it was for, say, Glorfindel to defeat that Balrog in the First Age.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:44 PM   #28
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Good theory. (Short post - mine, that is)
Old 02-05-2004, 09:53 AM   #29
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

But were the Ainur really 'of the world' as the Children of Iluvatar were? Perhaps the diminishing of the world had no effect on Balrogs, other than an opportunity for easier prey.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:54 PM   #30
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Quote:
As far as whether or not it could cross the bridge, the book clearly states it had wings.
A view that has launched a thousand threads.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 11-28-2004 at 11:43 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:40 PM   #31
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Even if the balrog was twice the size of a man (I think it says this in the fall of Gondolin of balrogs being twice man high) it should have had no problem crossing the bridge.
I beg to differ. If the Balrog was twice the size of a man it would have at least a slight problem crossing because the bridge was only made for one dwarf to be able to cross it at a time...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:19 PM   #32
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
A view that has launched a thousand threads.
So I understand!

Quote:
If the Balrog was twice the size of a man it would have at least a slight problem crossing because the bridge was only made for one dwarf to be able to cross it at a time...
Maybe Balrogs are extra coordinated. No, I know what! It used its wings to steady itself! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2004, 02:43 AM   #33
chucks888
Pile O'Bones

chucks888 has just left Hobbiton.
in regards to that posted movie pic- yes that 'exit' certainly seems big enough to let exit the balrog.

but if you recall, the little stairway right before the exit (where aragorn lingers to look until orcs start shooting arrows) was not large at all. not even a troll would be able to fit through.
chucks888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:58 PM   #34
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

True...

Yes, that's true, but that could just be the "mortal" way for the Fellowship to take...it's all we saw. Perhaps the Balrog flew out another exit!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:58 PM   #35
chucks888
Pile O'Bones

chucks888 has just left Hobbiton.
Yeah that's true too, but no matter how you slice it, the roggy in the movie was way too slow. To me it looked like they could've just outrun him.

With all that said, I think it was executed perfectly for film. Wouldn't change a thing!
chucks888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 06:25 AM   #36
Amrod the Hunter
Haunting Spirit

Amrod the Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Amrod the Hunter
Pipe

It is said in book that Balrog was just a bit higher than a human,so he could have passed the bridge.In film they made him too big.Echtelion of Gondolin slayed Gothmog,the greatest of all Balrogs.How could he slayed him if ge was that big?So,my opinion is that Gandalf definetly made a good choice.
Amrod the Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote