The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2003, 07:37 PM   #1
Kheledriel

Tolkien Entwives...

Okay,I've read The Two Towers twice now, and I'm having trouble with the Entwives. I don't get what they were (are?). Could someone please help me with that? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2003, 07:50 PM   #2
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Greetings Kheledriel! Welcome to the Downs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
First of all, using the search function is a great help whenever you want to find information about a certain topic.
And, secondly, to answer your question, the Entwives were simply that- the wives of the Ents. They were 'female', cared very much for all things agricultural, and eventually moved away from their husbands to tend fields instead of shepherd trees. This caused great grief to the Ents and led to the stunting of the Ent population. It also led to the writing of a very wistful song that I'm sure you've read.
This question may be moved over into the Novice and Newcomers forum, so don't be surprised if that happens. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help! PM me.
Peace
Old 07-28-2003, 07:52 PM   #3
Kheledriel

Tolkien

Thanks! I've been confused about that for a while now!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:16 PM   #4
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Here's a thread on the Entwives that might be worth a look: Ent-wives.
This thread is in the 'Haudh-en-Ndengin' forum, a place that is wonderful to look round in for classic debates and information on obscure topics. I highly recommend it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 08-10-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

The ent-wives still exist, we have only to find them for ourselves. Don't look too hard or you might miss them.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:09 PM   #6
Kheledriel

Boots

'Haud-' huh? Sorry, sometimes I seem illiterate to languages. I went over stuff about the Entwives and read stuff in The Shire (that's where I suspect them to be, just a gut feeling, I'm weird). Thanks, Novberaid, that's good advice...I think...I've been working on homework (I've got lots) so I'm stoned...I'll shut up now...
Old 08-12-2003, 10:44 PM   #7
Suardeloth_Blue_Istari

Question

I have a thoery, and this may have been discussed in the other forum, but perhaps the ent wives moved on to Old Forest in the Shire? Old Man Willow seemed somewhat like an ent, and the Hobbits say that there are rumors of the trees moving on their own. Old Forest, Being close to the Shire, would be a likely place for the entwives. Treebeard said himself that the Shire sounded like a place the Entwives might like. I dunno, I think we should summon Tolkien from the grave. He'd be considered Valar on this site, I'm sure.

-Suardeloth
Old 08-13-2003, 05:24 PM   #8
Kheledriel

Tolkien

I think they're in the Shire, really. In the TTT (movie version) Merry says something along the lines of, "Trees that could walk, talk, whisper to each other, even move". My first though was "Those are ents" but now that I think about it, it might've been Entwives...
Old 08-15-2003, 05:43 PM   #9
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

You'll find that many, if not most, BDers will not consider the movies as an accurate source. However, I do agree with you. At the beginning of the FotR (book), Sam is having a discussion/debate with Ted Sandyman, his nemisis (of sorts). Sam brings up a sighting his cousin had of a walking Willow. Thick-headed Ted rebukes it, and the conversation continues to other things, like the sale of Bag-End, and Frodo's purchase at Crickhollow. It's a very small bit, but if one remembers by the time Treebeard starts singing, then it can provide you with a warm tingly feeling of "I know something that most people probably missed", that is, until you come onto the Downs and meet all of us other crazy Tolkien fanatics. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I personally believe that they do live in the Old Forest and the other forests of the Shire, if they are alive at all. It seems right. Treebeard even says that they would like the Shire.

Iarwain
Old 08-15-2003, 07:58 PM   #10
Suardeloth_Blue_Istari

Question

Well, Here I go with the whole hypocrite act again

Treebeard said that the Entwives liked to grow stuff, kinda like farming. The Old Forest, being close to the shire, would be a likely place for them, but it seems to wild for the Entwives to like it. If they really liked growing things, they should be seen more in the the Shire, and not just in it's forests. This is a weak argument, but I'm trying to present both sides here.

-Suardeloth