The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-23-2002, 06:51 AM   #1
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
LOTR grades

Check this out!
My mum, who's an English teacher and major LOTR fan, thought this up: from now on, she'll give the kids LOTR names instead of grades. Each name corresponds, of course, with a certain grade, as follows:
1- Sauron
2- Wormtongue
3- Gollum
4- Saruman
5- Boromir
6- Pippin
7- Bilbo
8- Merry/Eowyn
9- Gimli/ Legolas
10- Aragorn, Sam, Frodo, Faramir, Arwen
10 + (outstanding achievements): Gandalf/ Galadriel.
Now - where you see more than one name for the same grade, it depends on the kid's personality. For instance: 10 - if he's earned the ten through hard work - then he's a Frodo; if he/she finds it only natural to get a ten, then she gets Arwen, he gets Aragorn.
What do you think - comments and changes are welcome! Also, if you ask me why a character got a certain grade, I'll explain my opinion, and we'll discuss it.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:15 PM   #2
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

That's cool! I would think it would inspire students that are LOTR fans the get higher grades! I do have a question, though. Why is Gollum lower than Saruman? Yes, Gollum wasn't too nice, but he wasn't quite so bad as Saruman, IMO, anyways.
Arwen
Old 10-23-2002, 02:12 PM   #3
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1- Sauron
2- Wormtongue
3- Gollum
4- Saruman
5- Boromir
6- Pippin
7- Bilbo
8- Merry/Eowyn
9- Gimli/ Legolas
10- Aragorn, Sam, Frodo, Faramir, Arwen
10 + (outstanding achievements): Gandalf/ Galadriel.

I would put Pippin and Merry together rather than Merry and Eowyn.
I would also put Aragorn, Sam and Frodo at a different level than Faramir and Arwen. It also depends on wether it is form the Movie or the Book, cause Arwen from the book is a house wife, I don't think that that would go over well for level 10.

In Ontario, we have this level system that has 4 levels. Level 1 is just barely better than failing and level 4 is beyond the expetations. What could a teacher use for that?

1-Sauron?
2-Golumm
3-legolas
4-Frodo

or
1- Sauron
1 Saruman
1+ Wormtong
2- Golumm
2 Denethor
2+ Boromir
3- Faramir
3 Gimli
3+ Legolas
4- Merry/Pippin
4 Aragorn
4+ Frodo
4++ Gandalf

What do you think?
Old 10-25-2002, 08:03 AM   #4
Laivine
Wight

Laivine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It may just be me, but I think this list would be more.. I don't know.. correct perhaps.

1- Sauron
2- Saruman
3- Wormtongue
4- Gollum
5- Boromir
6- Arwen/Faramir
7- Bilbo
8- Merry/Eowyn/Pippin
9- Gimli/Legolas
10- Aragorn/Sam/Frodo
10 + (outstanding achievements): Gandalf/ Galadriel/Elrond.
Old 10-25-2002, 05:20 PM   #5
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Well- about Gollum and Saruman: Saruman was once very wise and very good, plus he was a Maia, so I just payed tribute to that by giving him a higher grade.

Also, I put Merry above Pippin and together with Eowyn because together they killed the Witch king - while Pippin was mostly a 'nuisance'as Gandalf called him. -But it's okay, I still like him [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Laivine, why is poor Arwen on 6? And Faramir- he was spotless.

Arwen Imladris, what could have possibly biased you to grade Legolas a tad higher than Gimli? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2002, 10:01 PM   #6
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

It's a cool idea! I'm looking forward to using this when I get to teach. But does your mum use it for conduct grades?
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 05:54 AM   #7
Laivine
Wight

Laivine has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Why is poor Arwen on 6? And Faramir- he was spotless.
Arwen never had an outstanding part in Lord of the Rings, as for Faramir; he did great things, but in my opinion the people I listed above him did greater.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:08 PM   #8
Angry Hill Troll
Wight

Angry Hill Troll has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Maybe there should be a "Tom Bombadil" category, for a student who is getting by okay, but is for the most part unmotivated to make use of his considerable talents...gathering moss, so to speak. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Angry Hill Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:45 AM   #9
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Sting

Neferchoirwen - my mum uses these grades not for conduct grades, since she's only the English teacher, but to grade papers, homeworks, and generally their level of English.

Angry Hill Troll - Great idea! I knew there was something missing! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2002, 08:05 AM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Just a quick observation for Arwen Imladris about the grading standards in Ontario. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The 'pass' is 3, which signifies meeting the current expectations for the grade level. A 1 or a 2 signifies work at very much below the expected level of achievement. Students who work repeatedly at the 1 or 2 level are students seriously at risk and who should be receiving extra help. They are also probably students who should not be promoted (to use the current euphemism) to the next grade, where they will face even more frustration and difficulty, although many schools are balking at doing that.

This means that the 'pass' is no longer that 50% level, but the 70% level.

Bethberry
Old 10-29-2002, 03:21 PM   #11
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bethberry: The grading system in Ontario is very messed up right now and is basically up to the teachers descresion. The way the levels corespond to percents is 1 = 50-59%, 2 = 60-69%, 3= 70-79%, 4 = 80-100%. level 1 is a pass, but just barely. Level 3 is the provincial standard if you meet that then you are average. Going beyond that means that you are doing more then you were expected to do. I know a number of people who have gotten level 1 and have been moved on to the next grade level.