The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
Melilot Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Melilot Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Where did Gandalf live?

Did Gandalf own a house? Where did he base himself? Yes he did travel a great deal, but I am curious about his private life. Where did he call "home?" I know he had many things to deal with, like driving the Necromancer out of Mirkwood, help the Dwarves in their quest to overthrow Smaug, then the whole business with the Ring, but in between "jobs" where did he go?
Old 09-15-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
I don't think Gandalf had much time "between jobs"... he seemed to be ever travelling and helping out where he was needed. I am guessing that when he needed to regroup and recuperate his strenght he'd head out to either Rivendell or Lothlorien. If there are written indications of what he did I do not know, but given his relationship with both Elrond and Galadriel I'd think that Gandalf would head out to their cities when he needed a break.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

But for some "getaway" holidays how about:

Occasional vacations to the Shire
or Gondor. And of course Thranduil's digs or
Laketown would be a good place to gather news
of doings in Rhovanion and east. And for
some nice seaside air and ocean views how
about the Last Havens and Dol Amroth?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Gandalf was thought of (for those who didn't know any better) as an Elf, and it was said that he (as Olorin) would walk amongst them clothed in Elven fashion:
Quote:
But of Olorin that tale does not speak; for though he loved the Elves, he walked amon them unseen, or in form as one of them, and they did not know whence he came the fair visions or the promtings of his wisdom that he put into their hearts.~The Valaquenta
I can see Gandalf travelling around to a lot of places, I doubt there was much time for him to sit and rest if he was to complete his task. As we see with Radagast and Saruman, who stray from their task and take up dwellings. Gandalf stays true to his mission and is all around Middle-earth directing resistance against Sauron, so I doubt there was much time for him to stay and dwell in one particular place. But, he took a liking to Hobbits and Elves, and so the Shire and Elf havens would be the most likely places, on Middle-earth that is.

Edit:

And eventhough if at first Olorin rather liked the Elves, he comes to love all the races of Middle-earth as he aids and interacts with all of those against Sauron.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #5
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe Like a rolling stone

Although that's true, and Gandalf's Sindarin name Mithrandir even means 'Grey Wanderer' or 'Grey Pilgrim', he did have a permanent home: Valinor. He just didn't go there for most of the Third Age.

During his time in the Hither Lands he lived everywhere and nowhere, dividing his time between the various places to which his mission took him. He even says of Tom Bombadil in LotR: "He has been a moss gatherer ; and I have been a stone doomed to rolling".

In HoME XVI, the Valinórean land of Dun Rómin is named as the place of Olórin's retirement after his return from the War of the Ring. *

* Not really
Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The only thing that I wonder (and I am suprised Boro hasn't thought about this ) is where did he make his fireworks .... that isn't really something you can do on the road ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:06 AM   #7
Ghazi
Haunting Spirit

Ghazi has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
In HoME XVI, the Valinórean land of Dun Rómin is named as the place of Olórin's retirement after his return from the War of the Ring. *

* Not really

Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote