The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #2961
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I assign utter lack of summer heat in Toronto.
It is bucketing with rain here ..... again.... at least I will find out if the repair I made to a leaking skylight at the weekend has worked! No great rush to collect the sandals I ordered though...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #2962
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think we can all safely assign weather in general to Mordor. Whatever it is, chances are we're not happy with it.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #2963
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The only weather that belongs in Mordor is sunshine, because it's boring unless you are on holiday. And too much snow, which is just a nuisance.

The Atlantic low hitting the UK right now is amazing. Torrential rain, wind and interesting weather charts for me to geek out over. With a bit of luck, I might have some swollen rivers to look at again in a few days. British weather belongs firmly in The Shire.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #2964
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
The only weather that belongs in Mordor is sunshine, because it's boring unless you are on holiday. And too much snow, which is just a nuisance.
Hmm... Today's the first day in about a week that I've seen the sun come out and stay there for the whole day. It's been all clouds. And this year I was *still* waiting for a snowfall in April. In a sense, we didn't have a winter. I think you'd love Torontonian weather.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #2965
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I could do without the kind of teach the car to swim type weather we had today....

Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #2966
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
I assign high school final exams. Especially math exams.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #2967
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRmyGirl4eva View Post
I assign high school final exams. Especially math exams.
I love high school exams! They leave me more free time than I ever had during the year! Especially the math exam.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #2968
Vardamir Nólimon
Newly Deceased

Vardamir Nólimon has just left Hobbiton.
people of mordor

Those people that saw Star Trek (2009) for Chris Pine, LOTR for Orlando Bloom, or any other amazing movie simply because they wanted to swoon over an actor. Especially if they take up space at a midnight showing. If you're going to do that, rent the movie later and stop wasting our time.
Also, people that post infactual information in public places, people with terriable grammar that don't bother to check it. This is both online and in speaking.
I have to agree with Galadriel55. I love exams.

Last edited by Vardamir Nólimon; 06-12-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: I have an opinion
Vardamir Nólimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #2969
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardamir Nólimon View Post
Also, people that post infactual information in public places, people with terriable grammar that don't bother to check it.
How do you feel about those who don't check their spelling?

Welcome to the downs.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #2970
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I second Mith: welcome to the Downs, Vardamir!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #2971
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I assign doctors who change you a certain amount for a test, and then charge you just as much to put their signature on a form.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #2972
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

Ring

People who are major homophobes, racists, and sexists, as shown in the things they say, and then claim that they AREN'T racist, sexist or homophobic.
*cough*my dad*cough*

Seriously? "All Puerto Ricians need to go back to Puerto Rico" is pretty racist sounding to me, but he STILL claims not to be. Jerk.

Still, don't get me wrong. I love my father, but he can be infuriating.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #2973
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign whichever designer decided that shirts with patterns or sequins may only have the patterns or sequins on the front of the top. That abrupt stop at the shoulders and sides looks shoddy off, and even worse on.

Sometimes, there just aren't enough sequins.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #2974
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I assign whichever designer decided that shirts with patterns or sequins may only have the patterns or sequins on the front of the top. That abrupt stop at the shoulders and sides looks shoddy off, and even worse on.
Oh, I agree with you 100%!!! It's like they sew on the front of one shirt to the back of another!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #2975
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
People who are major homophobes, racists, and sexists, as shown in the things they say, and then claim that they AREN'T racist, sexist or homophobic.
*cough*my dad*cough*

Seriously? "All Puerto Ricians need to go back to Puerto Rico" is pretty racist sounding to me, but he STILL claims not to be. Jerk.
Next time, ask which country you should go back to that your ancestors came from.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #2976
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Work issues that follow you home, especially on a weekend.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:02 AM   #2977
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Work issues that follow you home, especially on a weekend.
Think on the bright side - as long as it isn't criminals walking on your lawn, it could be worse.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #2978
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Next time, ask which country you should go back to that your ancestors came from.
I'd love to go to Ireland. Thanks for the idea, Aganzir! I'll try it!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #2979
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Think on the bright side - as long as it isn't criminals walking on your lawn, it could be worse.
Truly a fresh perspective.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #2980
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Criminals walking in your house, kidnapping food from your fridge and gruesomely murdering it with their teeth? And they keep parking their bottoms on the wrong side of the sofa. While probably playing Minesweeper on your computer illegally.

Never mind.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #2981
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign to Mordor being totally alone in a strange town and state for months.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #2982
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

Dark-Eye

I assign having to wake up early all week, then looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday and Sunday, but your biological clock wakes you up at 6 AM, even though you've been running on nearly zero sleep all week
Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #2983
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
I'd love to go to Ireland. Thanks for the idea, Aganzir! I'll try it!
Only problem with visiting Ireland (and I have an "Easter Rebellion" surname) is that it is the only place I have been to that was wetter than England... the only time I have been in a plane and it has skidded on landing.. and then becuase I had gone to a friend's ordination into the Church of Ireland I had a very "Father Ted" experience...

Old 06-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #2984
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I assign having to wake up early all week, then looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday and Sunday, but your biological clock wakes you up at 6 AM, even though you've been running on nearly zero sleep all week
I hate that you want to sleep any day you have to wake up early, and can't sleep when you can sleep in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Only problem with visiting Ireland (and I have an "Easter Rebellion" surname) is that it is the only place I have been to that was wetter than England... the only time I have been in a plane and it has skidded on landing.. and then becuase I had gone to a friend's ordination into the Church of Ireland I had a very "Father Ted" experience...
I've read too much of Gone With the Wind and Scarlett to believe anything bad about Ireland...

ncidentally, I'd like to send to Mordor people who are overly passionate about political correctness, racism, and pretty much any other thing like that. I'm not saying that racism is ok, but you have to admit that, however equally you respect (or not) people, they are still different, and you're not going to make them any more the same. I get aggrevated by extremist anti-racists, anti-sexists, environmentalists, and -- you know, all these "popular causes". It's now what they do but how they do it.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-17-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #2985
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

White Tree

I assign people who don't ahve the common decency to LEAVE YOUR BEDROOM when they have gas. Yeah, it's a natural bodily function and all that, but I seriously don't need my carpet, curtains, bedclothes, and clothes smelling like your @$$!
Old 06-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #2986
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
ncidentally, I'd like to send to Mordor people who are overly passionate about political correctness, racism, and pretty much any other thing like that. I'm not saying that racism is ok, but you have to admit that, however equally you respect (or not) people, they are still different, and you're not going to make them any more the same. I get aggrevated by extremist anti-racists, anti-sexists, environmentalists, and -- you know, all these "popular causes". It's now what they do but how they do it.
This...this reminds me of something I meant to assign to Mordor a couple months ago.

One morning I woke up to a message that put me in a sour mood, because it was a "Here is how boys behave, and here is how Men should behave," with a conclusion that no "men" will do this, and therefor, we are all boys and suck. It was insane and if anyone is dying of curiosity for the full story, shoot me a message and I'll forward the story.

Anyway, what I'm assigning to Mordor is the expectation males need to be the "disney prince" by always being their knight-in-shining armor/rescue the pretty damsel in distress. It's asinine disney-movie plot for a reason, because it's not real and completely unhealthy. Guys are humans too, if you want a solid one, be a confident and self-dependent lady. Then you'll have no problems finding the guy who will always be there to support and love you for your decisions as an equal. Not one who has an unhealthy rescuer complex which sets up just a different form of a screwy possessive relationship.

*ahem* I'm good. I promise, just remembered this from a couple months ago.

Last edited by Boromir88; 06-17-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #2987
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Only problem with visiting Ireland (and I have an "Easter Rebellion" surname) is that it is the only place I have been to that was wetter than England...
I misread this as "better than England," and for a second my thoughts went like "Wait, I didn't know Mith was that patriotic...?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Anyway, what I'm assigning to Mordor is the expectation males need to be the "disney prince"
I think they'll only be my type of males after spending some time in Mordor...

And since I'm here, I could as well assign the irritating and persistent cough that's been bothering me for over two weeks now.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #2988
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

Narya

That sucks, Aganzir.

I assign allergy medicine that makes you drowsy, and cats that shed all over your clothes.

Actually, I take back that last comment. I love my kitties too much to send them to Mordor.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #2989
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Decisions. Decisions. Did I mention decisions? Oh, and decisions too.

Every time I make an important decision I feel like crying afterwards because I've clearly made the wrong choice - even though it usually turns out ok and I know the latest one will be ok too. Really, sometimes I wish I lived in one of those dystopian novels* where there is some sort of committee/government that makes all the decisions for the people. Would make my life so much easier.

*not very seriously, though. Only when yet another decision makes me really depressed.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #2990
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign pets dying to Mordor. We brought in a pretty little stay cat last August and she died on Saturday. I cannot begin to describe the grief it has caused. I am running away from the empty feeling, but it catches up to me every time I look at her favourite places to nap. It is one of the saddest feelings a person can ever feel, I think.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #2991
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I assign pets dying to Mordor. We brought in a pretty little stay cat last August and she died on Saturday. I cannot begin to describe the grief it has caused. I am running away from the empty feeling, but it catches up to me every time I look at her favourite places to nap. It is one of the saddest feelings a person can ever feel, I think.
My sister and I, back in 2001, talked my dad into letting a stray cat inside in winter to keep it from freezing to death. She more or less adopted us, and in April had a litter of kittens under my dad's bed. She left a few months later, and my dad got rid of the male cats. That's how we have Fluffy and Kimberly.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #2992
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post

Anyway, what I'm assigning to Mordor is the expectation males need to be the "disney prince" by always being their knight-in-shining armor/rescue the pretty damsel in distress. It's asinine disney-movie plot for a reason, because it's not real and completely unhealthy. Guys are humans too, if you want a solid one, be a confident and self-dependent lady. Then you'll have no problems finding the guy who will always be there to support and love you for your decisions as an equal. Not one who has an unhealthy rescuer complex which sets up just a different form of a screwy possessive relationship.

*ahem* I'm good. I promise, just remembered this from a couple months ago.
Haha. Frankly, if I met a Disney kind of guy, I would run away and name him a stalker. I despise the 'knight-in-armour' idea, because it's so patronising to women. So, we can't be our own helpers? Oh, joy. Why can't there just be a relationship based on mutual respect?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #2993
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
*cough*my dad*cough*.
Hypocrites are the worst, meaning no disrespect to your Gaffer.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #2994
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

That random half day at the end of the school year when you've got nothing to do and forgot to bring a book.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #2995
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGEW
I know just how you feel...
Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #2996
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

Ring

I assign losing your library card. I can't find my student ID, so I don't have a photo ID to get a new one. I'm going to be dying of boredom ALL SUMMER
Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #2997
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I assign losing your library card. I can't find my student ID, so I don't have a photo ID to get a new one. I'm going to be dying of boredom ALL SUMMER
Don't they accept things like passports or citizenship cards?

TGEW, I second Nerwen in that. You have all my sympathies.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #2998
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

White Tree

Quote:
Don't they accept things like passports or citizenship cards?
Don't have them. SUCKS TO BE ME.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #2999
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I assign losing your library card.
I assign not having one in the first place. Yes, I am obsessed...
Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #3000
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dűm

I assign having your friends promise to call, and they don't