The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-14-2003, 08:11 AM   #1
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
The One Rewind BUtton of Doom!

Imagine if the characters of LOTR could rewind back to a few minutes ago with just a touch of a button?!
For example: Boromir wants the Ring. I can't get it from Frodo the first time. *rewinds* Tries again. Can't get the Ring from Frodo trying a different way. *rewinds* And so on and so forth.
Now you guys (and gals) come in. What do you think LOTR characters wouldrewind and change? I await your answers! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2003, 08:35 AM   #2
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron would rewind, warn Morgoth that an attack was imminent, and they'd get away! Then they would rebuild an army in secret somewhere and take over the world!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:05 AM   #3
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When they travel through the Old Forest, Pippin would do this: "Ah I want a pint at the Golden Perch, so I'll convince Frodo to go there." He rewinds. "Oops, wrong time, better rewind some more." He rewinds again and convinces Frodo that going to the Golden Perch is a shortcut. He has a lot of pints and sings the Hobbit drinking song.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 04:08 PM   #4
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Ring

Frodo would rewind to the part where Gollum bites his finger off. He keeps the ring and Gollum tries to get his preciousss other ways.
"It's the trilogy that never ends..."
Old 12-14-2003, 04:26 PM   #5
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think all the hobbits would rewind to when they left Rivendell and they wouldnt have volenteered in this adventure...because they did not know what they were getting themselves into.
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 04:35 PM   #6
Dûrbwúrz
Newly Deceased

Dûrbwúrz has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I think all the hobbits would just keep on rewinding back to get more food at the inn's [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] so basically nothing would ever happen
Old 12-14-2003, 09:44 PM   #7
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn would rewind to before he fell off the cliff (in TTT) but the orc would fast forward it and then Aragorn would rewind but the orc would fast forward and Aragorn would rewind and the orc would fast forward and Aragorn would rewind but the orc would fast forward and they would keep on doing that until both of them would throw up from dizziness...
Old 12-15-2003, 05:35 AM   #8
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yeah, and how sweet would it be if they had instant replay! You could watch Gandy fall over and over and over again... (oh wait, my friends and i already did that on one of our notorious slumber parties)(reminder: A Carton of Pepsi, pixi stix and LOTR are not the happiest of mixes)

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:12 PM   #9
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Sting

Personally, I don't think they would have rewound any of it, because they would know that each event caused another and without any certain happening the chain of events would be broken, thus destroying the quest.

A lesson can be learned from everything that happened and everything would have had a direct emotional impact on each character, thus moulding the way that character would react in later situations.

Nothing can be changed.

~Naurwen~
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:47 PM   #10
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, but this is a light-hearted "What if...?" scenario; so with all due respect, please leave the philosophy out of it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2003, 09:46 AM   #11
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

I know it's light hearted. That's why it's in Middle-earth Mirth. Thing is, I was just giving my personal opinion. I didn't intend for it to be philosophy and I didn't intend for it to be the be all and end all.

I was merely pointing out the importance of each event and my thoughts about the ability to 'rewind'.

I guess I just have a philosophical mind, which can be out of place in 'light hearted' discussions and my apologies to anyone who found it in anyway unsuitable for the topic.

Although that was my personal opinion, nobody has to take it to heart or even take notice of it. To all who find philosophy out of place here, don't read my previous post.

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

However, I DO think that the entire story of Lord of the Rings (Which is Britain's best loved book! I voted [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) could have been prevented if Smeagol rewound to the finding of the ring and not gone fishing. Ever.

'Let someone else find the ring, I'm tired of crawling and whining and obsessing.'

How different would things have been if someone else had found the ring?

~Naurwen~ [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2003, 12:59 PM   #12
Miriel Undomiel
Wight

Miriel Undomiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Miriel Undomiel
very different!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 03:43 PM   #13
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I didn't mean to offend/annoy anyone, but I'm sorry if I did. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Elrond could rewind to where Isildur is about to throw the Ring into the fire and take the Ring from him by force instead of standing there like an idiot. ("Destroy it!!" "No." "Then you have elected the way...of...pain!!!" *fight ensues; Elrond wins, throws Ring into fire* "No!!! My Precious!!!" *Isildur jumps in after the Ring* "Idiot.")

Okay, that was lame. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2003, 03:51 PM   #14
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Sting

No offence was taken, Nimrothiel! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
You had a point. I was just explaining. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And it wasn't lame either!! I know I'D do that if I were Elrond!!

~Naurwen~
Old 12-17-2003, 06:30 PM   #15
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Of course! Then Elrond can go: "Oops! I guess the silly human fell in. Such clumsy creatures." [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:07 PM   #16
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
Of course! Then Elrond can go: "Oops! I guess the silly human fell in. Such clumsy creatures."
Yes, they are, aren't they... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2003, 07:27 PM   #17
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

I wonder if Gollum would try "rewinding" back to where he first saw the ring. I can see himself arguing with his alter-ego on whether or not he should actually "push the button."

"No, preciouss we wantsss to have it, we wantsss to keeeep it."
Old 12-19-2003, 01:09 AM   #18
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Maybe Elrond could just press the rewind button and push Isildur into Mount Doom, with the Ring. Then Elendur would succeed him and there will be no The Lord of the Rings story.

Then somebody would kill me for giving this suggestion. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:33 AM   #19
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Then somebody would kill me for giving this suggestion. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
By the time you read this post, Lhunardawen's blood would have stained the floor...no, wait, I don't want to mop.

Whatever.

If Bombadil had a rewind button, he'd sing the crap out of PJ to put him in the movie.

Later days! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
->Elenrod
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 03:43 PM   #20
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

*If Bombadil had a rewind button, he'd sing the crap out of PJ to put him in the movie.*

Roflmao!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2003, 03:50 PM   #21
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

If Sauron got access to the One Rewind Button of Doom, I think he'd keep rewinding the scene where Frodo gets skewered by that spear. It's just so pathetic that it's comical!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:46 PM   #22
Theoric Windcaller
Haunting Spirit

Theoric Windcaller has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, think about it guys. Rewinding isn't like time travel. Say when rewind the scene in the mines of Moria on the Bridge of Khazad-Dum. Gandalf felt into the abyss, and if he rewinded it, then the time between where he fell off the bridge and the point where he decided to rewind never existed, thus he would have no knowledge he was going to fall, and so the same events would just occur over and over again.

For a different example, Gollum bites Frodo's finger off, and two seconds later, Gollum falls off the edge. Frodo decides to rewind.

Frodo rewinds, but, since the point where he started to rewind and the point where he rewound to never existed, he didn't know Gollum was to bite off his finger, and so he couldn't protect against anything. So, basically, a man travels from point A to point B, the time that elapsed while passing from point to point was exactly two seconds. If you rewound the events that went to point A, the events had not occurred yet, and so the person who was travelling from point to point could not have any knowledge that it would take exactly two seconds to pass from point to point, and so there would be no way for him to know to speed up or slow down in order to alter the two second time elapsation. ---(is that even a word)

I have done many studies on time travel and things of the sort, parallel universes, physics, quantum physics.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:15 PM   #23
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How do you know rewinding isn't time travel? Have you ever rewound? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Manwe would rewind to when Eru was going to create Melkor, and told him not to.

Problems solved. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Then he'd rewind so he could destroy Eru a punishemnt for not using his omnipotence to do this in the first place. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 11:27 PM   #24
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

I should think Deagol would rewind...

Smeagol: Give that to us, preciouss..
Deagol, now knowing the consequences: Okie dokie! *hands Ring and heads for the hills*
Old 12-22-2003, 04:01 AM   #25
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
How do you know rewinding isn't time travel? Have you ever rewound?
HAHA! That reminds me of 2 Weeks Notice... "Your are the most selfish person in the world! -(Thats just Silly, have you met everyone in the world?)"

Anyhow, You are all saying something which i have been saying since the beginning, and is on my list of "1000 things which as a result of not being done, harmed the world"

If i was Elrond, who the hell woudl care if I pushed Isuildor in? At least id have saved the world!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:57 AM   #26
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Well, think about it guys. Rewinding isn't like time travel. Say when rewind the scene in the mines of Moria on the Bridge of Khazad-Dum. Gandalf felt into the abyss, and if he rewinded it, then the time between where he fell off the bridge and the point where he decided to rewind never existed, thus he would have no knowledge he was going to fall, and so the same events would just occur over and over again.
That is very good point Theoric Windcaller I had to read it over a couple more times to understand it but I get it now. It's just like rewinding a movie. If you rewind it to the beginning, the next time you wtch it, it isn't going to change.

So with this in mind, how about this: they rewinded, didn't know it, but did something different this time. For example: Frodo goes to the Council of Elrond and says he'll take the ring. Some one else (let's say Pippin) rewinds. At the same Council of Elrond (except rewinded) Frodo decides to keep quiet. What will happen then? Who will take the ring? That kind of thing. Get it? Good! Start posting! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:58 AM December 22, 2003: Message edited by: Sirithheruwen ]
Old 12-24-2003, 04:58 PM   #27
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
At the same Council of Elrond (except rewinded) Frodo decides to keep quiet. What will happen then? Who will take the ring? That kind of thing. Get it? Good! Start posting!
Boromir would take the ring. Or maybe not, the others probably wouldnt let him. In that case, the next most likely person would be Aragorn. Or not, because he is so reluctant to get the spotlight. Gandalf is out, because he would be corrupted. So I think that the person who would get it would be an elf, because they are wise and immortal and can sense danger and would be great at surviving a mission like that. But then Gimli would just chop the elf's head off... I think that Arwen should have taken it. (but thats just me being biased, women should have played a bigger role in lotr.) Anyways, Gimli wouldn't have beheaded a girl. I hope.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:00 PM December 24, 2003: Message edited by: Lady Snickerdoodle ]
Old 01-04-2004, 12:47 PM   #28
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

What if Frodo missed the Cracks of Doom first time round? "Hmmmm, seems like the time for that rewind button."

Or Aragorn was not saved from that troll in the Return of the King movie. Then Gandalf or Legolas could rewind time and actually do something about it, not just run in slow motion.