The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question How do you imagine other BDers?

All right, I admit, I can't help myself: I'm always trying to form mental images of other BDers. It's a sickness. I don't really want to know what my fellow Downers are like in the real world, since it's what goes on here that matters, but for some reason I just get these really intense visions of certain people. I was wondering if this is the same for others out there?

To get the ball rolling. The following are some of the BDers who I have very clearly defined pictures of in my mind's eye:

Durelin: She has very black, very straight, shoulder-length hair. She's not very tall (sorry Durelin), but carries herself with assurance. She wears glasses, but they're very trendy and selected to match her wardrobe which is dominated by sensible, solid colours. Her eyes are probably brown, but might be dark green.

Saucepan Man: He is very skinny and tall, lanky possibly, but with the first signs of a pot belly (sorry SpM). He has a beard that he likes to keep closely and neatly trimmed, but he can't always manage that. Hair and eyes are brown, with the hair slightly curly. His fingers are long and nimble. He likes to wear sweaters and cords, or possibly khakis, never jeans. His clothes are well made and fit properly, but they're all just a little threadbare.

Pio: She wears her hair in a bun that is always threatening to come loose; the colour of her hair is probably auburn or red, most likely a deep brown with red highlights. Her eyes are absolutely brown. She is very tall and walks with great aplomb. She desses in cotton shifts and dresses only, except when she is gardening, which is when the old overalls come out. She likes to wear hats, but prefers sensible things that keep off the sun to frouffy beflowered things. She has a few freckles and burns easily (hence the hats).

Kransha: He is of medium height and build (sorry Kransha), with black hair that's always getting in his eyes. He has a goatee that he thinks is quite fetching but some find it a little silly (very sorry Kransha). His eyes are dark brown. He likes to wear dark clothes, usually a button down shirt with jeans or dark trousers. He smiles a lot, and wears glasses -- small, round glasses that are supposed to look like Lennon's, and sometimes do.

I hope nobody takes offense. I hope even more fervently that I don't find out what these people actually look like, as this is much more fun.

There are a number of people around here who I would like to have a mental picture of but do not, as of yet: Aman, Himaran, Eowyn Skywalker, Nurumaiel, Aylwen (although I'm pretty close to one with her), The Barrow Wight, Esty and Bethberry are currently at the top of my wish-list.

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 06-27-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:18 AM   #2
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I must admit, there are many people who look suspiciously like their avatars ... in particular Saucepan Man and Estelyn. There are a few though...

Finwe: tallish, with long, shiny jet-black hair. She is very confident, both in the way she walks and dresses, and she looks just as good in jeans and a T-shirt as in stylish clothes. A rather sophisticated face, with dark eyes. The hair is what stands out most to me, I don't know why.

Nilpaurion Felagund: Tall, with spiked blonde hair. He has light blue eyes, or maybe green. For some reason it is very easy to imagine him with a surf board.

I agree with Fordim that Pio should have auburn hair.

More when I think of them...
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Quote:
Durelin: She has very black, very straight, shoulder-length hair. She's not very tall (sorry Durelin), but carries herself with assurance. She wears glasses, but they're very trendy and selected to match her wardrobe which is dominated by sensible, solid colours. Her eyes are probably brown, but might be dark green.

I will definitely not mar your image of me, as it is very fun...I seem so much more interesting in this description. Let met just tell you that one or two parts of it are very close to correct.

I am just flattered to know that I have an image in your mind... Should I be flattered by this?

Unfortunately, I am not one to picture anything in my head. For someone I have never seen, there is always a vague image of sorts that I associate the person with. I will just say that you, Fordim, are an ever changing image of some dusty old professor with a beaky nose and small, round glasses...very much a 'Giles from Buffy' figure. (very sorry, Fordim)

-Durelin

Last edited by Durelin; 06-27-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:58 AM   #4
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If I may but in then the Giles from Buffy thing is really a compliment - Anthony Head's most famous pre-Buffy role was as the absolute dreamboat next door neighbour in a long running UK coffee commercial....
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
This is a great idea, Fordim. I have a loosely formed mental image of almost everyone who I interact with here, as well as prototype images like "annoying newby", "Legolas lover" (eerily similar, although one is male and the other female, respectively), and "the Quiz Room BDer". I probably fall under the former category, but hey, I know what I look like.

Here are a few BDers who I try to picture based on their posting personalities:

Kransha - A wiry, sinister looking Brit, with a prominent nose, spectactles and a Van Dyke. He probably wears a leather jacket and smokes cigarettes. Sorry, Kransha, for adding another unflattering verbal drawing of you to what Fordim already said, but your self-proclaimed evilness makes it easier.

The Barrow-Wight - Tall, dark-haired, with dark, intense eyes that will quickly lighten up with a good laugh. It is a vague picture, but distinct from my images of other BDers nonetheless. This is by no means intended as shameless sucking-up, but I picture the B-W rather the same as I picture Beren when I read The Silmarillion.

This is fun. I will do more later, when I've read what other people write.

Has anyone seen the Chat Mod/Wight pics? I can't get the image of Gregory Peck out of my head whenever I read one of Mithadan's posts.

Here is a list of BDers, in alphabetical order, who I picture as their avatars (however unrealistic the pictures are):

Durelin (the old, less creepy one)
Fordim Hedgethistle
The Perky Ent (the old Calvin one, not Strong Bad)
Rimbaud
Saucepan Man, The
Squatter of Amon Rudh, The
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
*NOTE: NONE OF THESE IMAGININGS ARE MEANT TO INSULT.*

Saphire_Flame: Short, shoulder-length curly brown hair, laughs a lot, perky, outgoing, blues eyes, female.

Tinuviel of Denton : tall, willowy (sp?), quiet, long wavy blonde/brown hair, grey eyes, intelligent, female.

Naz: Wild, outgoing, life-of-the-party, black hair, brown eyes, short, female.

Finwe: smart, female, long straight black hair, thin, medium-height, quiet until you get to know her, hazel eyes.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:25 PM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I'll admit it... I don't necessarily picture the complete image of people, but more like bits and pieces. Even when I'm creating original characters for my own work, they come together VERY slowly. But I have got a few "images" of you all. Forgive me if they are completely off, just remember: my imagination, not yours. Neh neh neh neh boo boo.

Lady Snickerdoodle: You, Snick, have a pair of hazel eyes that give off a "gleam" when you are plotting something, or remembering a particularly funny instance.

Mithadan: Mith's got tawny hair (somewhat unkempt), going slightly silver in the temple area. He's taller than most, and wears mostly khakis or cords, with brown leather shoes, and button up shirts. His ties are usually loosely tied or long-since-untied, but have interesting pictures on them. He is usually working on half a cup of cold coffee. He's never broken the matching belt/shoes rule.

Firefoot: You, Firefoot, are a tall and lanky redhead, with a penchant for explosives and/or staying up 'til the wee hours around bonfires while shooting the breeze with friends.

The Barrow Wight: A thirty-something year old comic book fan with an ever growing list of Things To Do, Mister BW has a pair of square-framed glasses that he usually forgets he's wearing on top of his head.

Eowyn Skywalker: Ms. Skywalker has a well broken in pair of combat boots (good girl ) and can usually be seen trying to flick her dark brown hair (with gold and red streaks) out of her face, so she doesn't miss her mark while playing with her homemade swords.

Fordim Hedgethistle: Fordim has the sort of Presence that when he walks into a room, people notice, and when he says something, people listen. Even for all of his power, Fordim isn't the least bit arrogant. He doesn't know there IS a matching belt/shoe rule.

Once again, sorry if I'm absurdly wrong.

Fea
Old 06-27-2004, 12:36 PM   #8
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
The Eye

Quote:
I must admit, there are many people who look suspiciously like their avatars
Well, hate to dissapoint you mate but I don't look a thing like my avatar and I doubt you look like you avatar either. I mean a horse?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:15 PM   #9
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
I must admit, there are many people who look suspiciously like their avatars
Well, I got a lot of posts on the "Fave Avatars" thread that said mine was really scary, so I'm curious to know if anyone thinks I look like my avvie!

Durelin: Ever since you let slip that your name is Rachael (sp?) (at least, I think it was you...), I have imagined you to look exactly like my friend who just happens to be named Rachael too. She has short, honey-colored hair, is somewhat short, and really perky.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:37 PM   #10
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
so I'm curious to know if anyone thinks I look like my avvie!
Actually, I do. But I also said I liked your avvie...

Sleepy Ranger: No, you don't look like your avatar. You have a mischievous face, and brown curly hair that looks like you just woke up. You where T-shirts and broken in jeans, and when you aren't on the computer you are skateboarding.

Eowyn Skywalker: Medium length light brown hair - possibly streaked. Average height. She is usually smiling and has an easy laugh. When she gets defensive there is a fierce look to her eyes. She is athletic looking.

Mr. Underhill
: There is something dark about your appearance. A wide hat brim shades your eyes so that they aren't readily seen.
Quote:
Firefoot: You, Firefoot, are a tall and lanky redhead, with a penchant for explosives and/or staying up 'til the wee hours around bonfires while shooting the breeze with friends.
Very interesting... I won't tell you how true it is.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:44 PM   #11
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Lady Snickerdoodle: You, Snick, have a pair of hazel eyes that give off a "gleam" when you are plotting something, or remembering a particularly funny instance.
Completely flattered, Fea. not saying if its accurate or not.
The feature that stands out to ME about you, Feanor, is your mouth. You pout a lot (in a good way), stick your tongue out at people but smile and laugh the rest of the time. And you're a tomboy.

Nilpaurion Felagund: dark hair, dark eyes. you have a rubber chicken dangling out of your back pocket. (no idea, but it seems to fit!)

Saraphim: you seem moderately punk-ish to me... (again, i mean that in a good way) and i imagine that you always have a manga or anime book close at hand.

Sirhirtheruwen: bohemian chic, carrying around a notebook with doodling and random passages stuck in it. Constantly murmuring jokes and quips under your breath to make everyone around you crack up.

The Barrow Wight: a bit like a younger Gandalf, forbidding and intimidating but ocassionally you forget to look official which ruins your credibility.

Last edited by Lady Snickerdoodle; 06-27-2004 at 03:48 PM.
Lady Snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 04:42 PM   #12
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
White Tree Just a little someting...

Now this is a very amusing thread!

However, haven't you guys seen the album Alakaloonien (Is that his name?) had on his site? It was a Barrowdowns photo gallery with quite a few of the members. I recall seeing BW, Aylwen, Estelyn (?) etc. I may have seen them on other threads too, such as Have you met a fellow Bder? There some of the members that had met each other had put up a photo of the "event".

Besides, if you go here, you'll see quite a few faces. (Only go here, though, if you're tired of wondering about some of the famous BDers, and just want to know what they look like. )

Just wanted to let you know about this, in case you were tired of wondering. If not, however, keep on imagining them.

Cheers,
Orofaniel
Old 06-27-2004, 05:33 PM   #13
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Sirhirtheruwen: bohemian chic, carrying around a notebook with doodling and random passages stuck in it. Constantly murmuring jokes and quips under your breath to make everyone around you crack up.
HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT MY NOTEBOOK?!?!?!?!?
Anyways, "jokes and quips"? I honestly have no idea if I'm funny or not...hmmm...I'll have to ask my friend sometime.

Quote:
Actually, I do. But I also said I liked your avvie...
Ahhh, that's right...the only one who did. (Besides me, of course! )
Old 06-27-2004, 05:53 PM   #14
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT MY NOTEBOOK?!?!?!?!?
psychic, deary, psychic. also you sound like me and i have one.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:20 PM   #15
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I like your avvie too, Sirith!!

but yeah. there are a bunch of BDers who (in my mind at least) look like their avatars. you, Sirith, are one. the rest of the list (that i can think of) is:
Saucepan Man
The Perky Ent (the old Calvin one. not strong bad.)
Eowyn Skywalker (but only slightly.)
Bombadil
Saraphim
Estelyn Telcontar
Carlas

and that's all i can think of right off the bat. i'll add more as i remember them.

Cheers!
Elrond's (other) daughter

P.S. anybody got any mental images of me?? probly not yet: i'm still *very* new. if you couldn't tell.

Last edited by elronds_daughter; 06-28-2004 at 06:07 PM.
elronds_daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #16
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Pio: She wears her hair in a bun that is always threatening to come loose; the colour of her hair is probably auburn or red, most likely a deep brown with red highlights. Her eyes are absolutely brown. She is very tall and walks with great aplomb. She dresses in cotton shifts and dresses only, except when she is gardening, which is when the old overalls come out. She likes to wear hats, but prefers sensible things that keep off the sun to frouffy beflowered things. She has a few freckles and burns easily (hence the hats).
~*~

My eyes are absolutely brown.

I am 5’4” tall, olive skinned (no freckles!) – a mixture of Filipina, Native American, and Irish. I have very, very short dark black hair with silver highlights, usually worn a little spiked.

As to aplomb, I am fairly self-confident but to be honest I am often found be-bopping to some latino music, most likely Cubano, as I walk along. And I am given to singing a cappela in stairwells by myself or with friends.

My friends’ mouths would drop open if they ever saw me in a dress. It’s well-worn jeans and old, soft Camp Nurse t-shirts for me. The one I’m currently wearing says ‘Paddle it! Hike it! Climb it! Bike it!’ and bears the painted handprints of a delightful group of little campers who gave it to me as their favorite candy-giver.

My husband is the one who gardens, and I love to look at his wild, eclectic plantings. I do manage to water my faithful bromeliad and keep my little bamboo plant alive, along with my two cacti.

Hats . . . I do have a large straw hat with a garland of rosebuds round it from the last Grateful Dead concert I attended, along with a number of old buttons from Bob Dylan gigs. I wear it when I go canoeing now, to keep the top of my nose from crisping.

I’ll have to admit I have always wanted to be tall and have thick, curling red hair . . .
Old 06-27-2004, 07:27 PM   #17
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Saucepan Man: He is very skinny and tall, lanky possibly, but with the first signs of a pot belly (sorry SpM). He has a beard that he likes to keep closely and neatly trimmed, but he can't always manage that. Hair and eyes are brown, with the hair slightly curly. His fingers are long and nimble. He likes to wear sweaters and cords, or possibly khakis, never jeans. His clothes are well made and fit properly, but they're all just a little threadbare.
*Saucepan, having just taken a mouthful of coffee, involuntarily spits it out over his keyboard in a combination of amusement and horror*

If only the first sentence were true, Fordim, but alas I am very much beyond the "first signs" stage. More pots and saucepans are required to fill the growing gaps with each passing year. And I have to say that I am not a "beard" person.

With the continued absence of Alkanoonian's B-D'er gallery (which is sadly missed), the avatar image will do just fine for me.

Even though I have had the benefit of having seen many of my fellow Downers, courtest of Alk's gallery, the avatar images nevertheless remain my prime source of reference for many. Estelyn, to my mind, is, and will always be, Princess Fiona.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:25 PM   #18
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
I also see people as their avatars.

Obviously I don't think Firefoot is a horse, but when I think of Firefoot, the image of a horse (the one in the avvie, o'course) comes to mind. I even think of the friends I've gotten to join forums as their avvies when I think of something they've posted.

There are a few I can imagine otherwise, however... (not intended to insult, of course!)

Amarantha_Daisy: Rather short, with long curly dark brown hair. She has a big smile and a cute little nose, with a few small freckles. Her eyes are light brown. She wears t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers.

burrahobbit: Very neat. A somewhat large nose, but it makes him look dignified, though cynical. He has dark brown eyes and black hair. Wears suits often.

Barrow-Wight: Sandy hair, with a receding hairline (sorry, Barrow-Wight!). Spectacles perched on a dignified nose. A humorous sparkle in his hazel eyes. Wears t-shirts and jeans. Capable of making hilarious comments without cracking a smile.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:41 PM   #19
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Here is a list of BDers, in alphabetical order, who I picture as their avatars (however unrealistic the pictures are):

Durelin (the old, less creepy one)
Fordim Hedgethistle
The Perky Ent (the old Calvin one, not Strong Bad)
Rimbaud
Saucepan Man, The
Squatter of Amon Rudh, The
*Fordim bursts into tears of uttermost joy and clasps his hands in front of his chest* SoN, you think of Indianna Jones when you think of me???? *Renewed tears of joy*

Quote:
I will just say that you, Fordim, are an ever changing image of some dusty old professor with a beaky nose and small, round glasses...very much a 'Giles from Buffy' figure. (very sorry, Fordim)
My Dear Durelin. Well, "dusty," sometimes, esp after a day spent in the garden; as to "old," I have no doubt that to many in the forums I am probably one step shy of a walker and pureed food, but I assure you I am spry and nimble yet. Can't do anything about the "professor" label

This issue of the nose, however, I must address: I have a wonderful proboscis of noble lineage. And my glasses are far more rectangular than round, although I do tend to favour smaller glasses rather than larger. I'm not terribly familiar with Buffy (can I still post to the Downs?) so have no comment on this Giles fellow. I shall assume that he bears a striking resemblance to Johnny Depp. . .

Quote:
I’ll have to admit I have always wanted to be tall and have thick, curling red hair . . .
Fear not, my dear friend Pio, for that is the beauty of the Downs: I have impressed upon my mind the image of yourself as a 5'10" Amazon, with breath-takingly vibrant red hair. Your wishes have come true (but only if you impress upon your mind the image of Harrison Ford circa 1979 for me).

(Related Anecdote: Soon after the first movie came out I said to a room-full of 400 undergraduates, "So this Orlando Bloom is supposed to be the most beautiful man around these days? I don't get it, he looks nothing like me." It was meant as a joke, but I was wholly unprepared -- and a little hurt -- by the gales of laughter that washed over the room for the next minute or so. . .)
Old 06-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #20
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Quote:
Saraphim: you seem moderately punk-ish to me... (again, i mean that in a good way) and i imagine that you always have a manga or anime book close at hand.

Well, you're definitly right about the manga bit. I suppose my Sephiroth avvy kind of hints to that. I suppose you're right about the "punkish" part as well, to a certain degree.

I do wear over-large pants and I have a collection of T-shirts (mostly with witty lines or band names, and bought from the internet) that I wear over a cotton dress shirt.

My brown hair is rather flat and almost comes to my shoulders, but I usually pull it back. I'm taller than I would like to be, at 5'11. I have very thick glasses and more ear peircings than my father appreciates.

I usually consider people by their avatars as well. Eomer of the Rohirrim will always look like Eomer to me.

But here's some more:

Perky Ent: I imagine you as the funny trickster-type, with a big grin and dark hair that hangs in your eyes.

The Barrow-Wight: You're the kind of person (in my head, at least) that wears sweater-vests, but also a ponytail.

Everyone from the Nearsighted Elves Society: You all have glasses. (Tee Hee )

Last edited by Saraphim; 06-28-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 04:50 AM   #21
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Pio: Ive just been laughing at myself for the past few minutes. Totally the opposite of how I saw you. Its funny isnt it?

OK and Meela- I havent seen around for a bit. But Ive always imagined her as this crazy ebony haired lass who strolls around all day in long dresses lamenting Denethor.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:26 AM   #22
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Estelyn, to my mind, is, and will always be, Princess Fiona.
That's what I get for keeping the same avatar so long, but I don't think I dare change it anymore! (Besides, she's the only fairy-tale princess who's not too saccharin sweet for me.) Perhaps I should use the ogre Fiona picture for awhile, so that those who see my real photo or meet me in person will be pleasantly surprised?!

There's a similar old, closed thread on the Barrow-Downs forum called What do you think the Barrow-Downers look like? - you might enjoy reading through it. Alas, many of those named there, including Maril, who started it, are rarely or no longer active here...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:34 AM   #23
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Palantir-Green Estelyn the Ogre?

Quote:
Perhaps I should use the ogre Fiona picture for awhile
Nah, I don't think belching and shaving will go with the image, Esty.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:49 AM   #24
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
1420! Eructating mods

You'd be surprised.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:55 AM   #25
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Saraphim, I wish I had flowing blonde locks!
Old 06-28-2004, 06:58 AM   #26
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Silmaril

Quote:
Sleepy Ranger: No, you don't look like your avatar. You have a mischievous face, and brown curly hair that looks like you just woke up. You where T-shirts and broken in jeans, and when you aren't on the computer you are skateboarding.
Mischevious face? Actually its not but I'm mischevious like always except when it comes to certain people then I'm a well mannered snob (bet nobody thought of me as a well mannered snob) . Its not curly but its dark brown and yes it does look like I just woke up. T-Shirts and broken in jeans, that fits me to a tee. How true. But you forgot the glasses, with a power of 7 and 8 (left & right, respectively). Just wish I could eggplant.
And I only skateboard when I'm not playing cricket or football or on the computer pr PS2 or reading LoTR.
So thats a bit of me. Now make crazy mental images.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:24 AM   #27
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NightKnight: I don't really have a mental picture of him, but I always imagine him, when not on the 'Downs, skateboarding or surfing.

Also, in my naive little world that is the Barrowdowns, almost everyone is under the age of 30, excluding some, namely: Sharku, The Barrow-wight, The Saucepan Man, burrahobbit, piosenniel, and Estelyn Telcontar. (Sorry, you guys!) The others are 20-somethings and teenagers. (Lucky you! )

Also, I seem to imagine prominent males on the 'Downs to also have very prominent noses. Those people are: Sharku, The Barrow wight, The Saucepan Man, Kransha, burrahobbit, and Fordim Hedgethistle.

Quote:
I like your avvie too, Sirith!!but yeah. there are a bunch of BDers who (in my mind at least) look like their avatars. you, Sirith, are one.
*sighs* Red hair and startlingly green eyes? *sighs again* I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Quote:
BTW, I have one more question on that: do you mean Bohemian as in "from Bohemia", as in "artsy-fartsy", or as in the way that I dress? Just curious to know...
Old 06-28-2004, 10:39 AM   #28
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
BTW, I have one more question on that: do you mean Bohemian as in "from Bohemia", as in "artsy-fartsy", or as in the way that I dress? Just curious to know...
artsy fartsy, the way you AND i dress, apparently...
Old 06-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #29
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Fordim, I was thinking more along the lines of Harrison Ford in The Fugitive, pre-shave, aged forty years.

Just kidding. Let those tears flow.

Edit: I just saw Saraphim's "sweater-vests... ponytail" description of the B-W. Priceless.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #30
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Having very little imagination of my own I always think of people as their avatars, whether it's a person, animal, or object. Like Orofaniel who I will always imagine as a crazy dancing mouse. I even started thinking of myself as a chinese woman with green hair, but was disappointed when I later looked into the mirror (I actually changed my avatar today, but that lasted all of ten minutes).
Old 06-28-2004, 04:21 PM   #31
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
White Tree Woah!

Hmm.. Just to set things in perspective, I think...

Many of you claim that you keep imagining the downers looking like their avatars.. What would that make of me then? *looks at her white *bird* ( 'bird' sounds better), screams and hurries off to find more people with similar avatars as herself*

Cheers,
Nova
Old 06-28-2004, 04:31 PM   #32
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

I think I've got Bethberry finally: she's West Indian (that's why it took me so long; I am, like most Canadians, myopically white-eyed, if you know what I mean); her ancestry is primarily African with some European and even a smidge of Arawak thrown in (which accounts for the high cheekbones and flawless complexion). Her eyes are a deep deep green, startlingly bright, particularly against the dark brown of her skin. She is not very tall, but stately. She has one very crooked tooth in the front of her mouth that does not distract from the whiteness of her smile, which she is quick to flash but would be well worth the wait.

I've also figured out Aylwen: she's short (sorry Aylwen) but scrappy; her hair is brown and inevitably in a pony tail; she's deeply tanned from so much time spent outdoors, and she's lean from all the exercise. Her eyes are brown but always smiling, even when her mouth isn't. She's not conventionally pretty (i.e. Hollywood) but she is very attractive to those with the eyes to see her properly. She always wears jogging shorts and a soccer shirt: not sure of the team, yet, but it's probably an Italian squad -- absolutely not Man United (too predictable).

Nova is a big white goose.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:55 PM   #33
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nova,

Hey, us birds need to hang together! Then again, with you being a duck, and me being an eagle, your life might be cut a little short if I get hungry.

I adopted my avatar to go along with my shapechanging character on the Here be Dragons game. That brings me to a related question. We've talked about posters who "look like" their avatars. How about posters who "look like" their RPG characters? Sometimes, when I'm playing with someone in a game, their character rings a bell in my head and, ever after, character and person are synonymous.

I've played in several games with Nurumaiel as a young hobbit. Every time I see a post from Nuru, I have an image of a young hobbit girl in my head, even though she bears an Elvish name. No matter what I do, no matter how many other stories we play in, that image sticks.

The same goes for Piosenniel . Whatever description she may give on this thread, I'm quite sure that in some other dimension she looks and acts exactly like her Elvish character Pio, complete with throwing knives tucked into her boots. The same goes for Mithadan and his character in the Star series.

Fordim, you had the good fortune to play in Land to Call Their Own. Well, you may play in a million games after this, but you'll always be "Fordogrim" to me: the stubborn, irascible, but always loveable senior citizen Hobbit!

Aman, like it or not, you are the proprietor of the Green Dragon Inn. You ride a wicked horse and toss out rowdy patrons when needed with aplomb!

I could go on with this, but you get the idea....
Old 06-28-2004, 05:26 PM   #34
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Does that mean I get to look like Merisuwyniel in your imagination, Child?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:39 PM   #35
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
As in my previous post, no insults are intended.

Sharku: Very sinister looking, with an evil nose. Not one who smiles often. (though I'm sure this is quite incorrect)

Pio: Your description of yourself made me choke! Definately not how I imagined you. I saw you with long, wavy blond hair, blue eyes and bright lipstick!
Old 06-28-2004, 07:28 PM   #36
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Esty,

Ahem, the funny thing is Merisuwyniel actually crossed my mind when writing the original post. Hey, that's not so bad. It's got to be better than Wyrma!
Old 06-28-2004, 07:45 PM   #37
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
Let those tears flow.
Well, SoN, that is a relief. I had horrific images in my mind of you writing and telling Fordim that you had actually imagined him looking like his old avatar!

Child, I certainly understand what you are saying and that's why I imagine you as looking like a Cami Goodchild type of hobbit, and Fordim as a young, inexperienced yet talented bard. In fact most of my images of the Downers come from the RPGs as that is where I mostly spend my time.

Aman, I have an image in my head of you as tall, dignified but with a wild streak in you, with greyish-green eyes and slightly curly red hair. Your skin is fair without the faintest sign of freckles, and while you dress mostly in dresses/skirts they are designed to provide ease in riding and other such sports. You're a very kind, sociable person but not overtalkative; you know how to sit and think if you so desire.

Aylwen has golden-brown hair (it leans towards being more brown than gold) and dark eyes. About average height; friendly, open and warm; very wise on the subject of history; with a fine singing voice; often found sitting by a fireside telling those who will listen tales of Bonnie Prince Charlie and singing songs to that effect.

Sirithheruwen has dark, dark hair, nearly black, and while her eyes are grey there is a flicker of blue in them for the keen observer to perceive. She is tall, slender, and very Elvish looking. If she does not let her waist-length hair fall loose she has tied it back in a neat braid or perhaps put it atop her head in a very charming fashion.

Firefoot has rich auburn hair and sparkling brown eyes. She is a very friendly person and is much like a hobbit... in fact remarkably like her character Lily from the Green Dragon.

Mark12_30 looks a mixture of Hobbit and Scottish, and one thinks of the Shire and the Highlands while looking at her. Her whole being radiates kindness and she has a very motherly personality, which instantly wins the trust and affection of all children about her. In her spare time she rambles through the woods, following deer-trails and also little paths she fancies she might find Little People at the end of. She enjoys climbing trees to perch atop the high branches and play her harp, or perhaps her tin whistle, and maybe even her guitar! She loves to sing and is quite good at it.

Pio, I tend to follow the general trend and imagine you with long auburn hair, being tall and stately, wearing dresses, and so on and so forth. I'm afraid even your description of yourself does not waver this mental image of mine.

The Saucepan Man looks like his name. And....

Quote:
*Saucepan, having just taken a mouthful of coffee, involuntarily spits it out over his keyboard in a combination of amusement and horror*
No matter how ridiculous I have ever found anything on the 'Downs, I have never laughed aloud no matter how much I was laughing inwardly... This sentence was the first to make me laugh aloud, and it is doing so now. Now my mental image of you is the above quote. Not so much that you are constantly spitting your coffee over the keyboard, but it is what I will think of whenever I see your name.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:50 PM   #38
Audreidi
Pile O'Bones

Location: I'm not sure anymore, on account of my being dead and all.
Audreidi has just left Hobbiton.
Sigh...this would be so much easier if I had discovered these forums two years ago...

One thing I can say: Eowyn Skywalker, in my opinion, is a lot more like her avatar than the two descriptions I've seen here, though those descriptions are akin to what I might have gone with had I never actually seen her in person.

The Perky Ent, I think, is of average height and wiry build, and seems to have much in common with Calvin of Calvin & Hobbes, due to the avatar, of course. How biased they make me... and somehow I envision a chess board nearby.

Here's a challenge: try to envision me, a relative newb at these boards. Hint: I (hopefully, but Eowyn S. can vouch for me) do NOT look anything like my avatar.

--Audreidi & Jandalf, proud members and Twins of Optometry for the Society of Nearsighted Elves
Audreidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:56 PM   #39
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurumaiel
Firefoot has rich auburn hair and sparkling brown eyes. She is a very friendly person and is much like a hobbit... in fact remarkably like her character Lily from the Green Dragon.
Same deally here. No auburn hair, or brown eyes, but the rest I think is true.....
Old 06-28-2004, 08:26 PM   #40
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
Nuru - I feel complimented! There are many characteristics about Lily that I wish I had myself, though there are also several that are quite like myself. I, alas, have no clear picture of you; I am still trying to figure that out.