The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Wedding Readings - Help Needed :)

Hi All--

Wonder if I might pick your collective brain for some quoteable material---I will be doing a few readings at my sister's wedding on Friday, and thought an excerpt, poem or song from Tolkiens works might be perfect!! While "The Road Goes Ever On.." seems the obvious choice, I was hoping to be pointed towards something a bit more obscure and apropos...?

An excerpt/poem/song would be fine, from any of Tolkiens collected works...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
"Where there's a whip, there's a will, my slugs." Perfect!

Perhaps part of the tale of Tinúviel as told by Strider in FOTR?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
"Where there's a whip, there's a will, my slugs." Perfect!

Perhaps part of the tale of Tinúviel as told by Strider in FOTR?
LOL! Or perhaps, "One Ring to Rule Them All..."

I'll take a look at Tinuviel now... Thanks!

Other thoughts?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
Puddleglum
Wight

Puddleglum has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
[I]Perhaps part of the tale of Tinúviel as told by Strider in FOTR?
For a wedding? I think that is a good choice. For example:
Quote:
Again she fled, but swift he came.
Tinuviel! Tinuviel!
He called her by her elvish name;
And there she halted listening.
One moment stood she, and a spell
His voice laid on her: Beren came,
And doom fell on Tinuviel
that in his arms lay glistening.

As Beren looked into her eyes
Within the shadows of her hair,
The trembling starlight of the skies
He saw there mirrored shimmering.
Tinuviel the elven-fair,
Immortal maiden elven-wise,
About him cast her shadowy hair
And arms like silver glimmering.
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Apart from the Tale of Tinuviel,which seems the most odvious choice,why don't you try a little bit of Thingol and Melian?The meeting part?I don't know if you do,but in our weddings we read a part of apostle Paul's letters that fits.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I think there aren't many apart from those already mentioned. I think the problem is that most of the possible parts are short, apart from those mentioned above, like the lay of Lúthien. It is, of course, possible to just have a shorter quote, but it depends what exactly is the custom and how would you like to use it... Anyway, in case you wanted to consider them, there might be e.g. some parts about Faramir and Éowyn (but I think it is not exactly suited for that, but you be the judge, maybe it is in this case) or whatever... You might like to go through all of them yourself, because, you are the one who should know what is "situationally appropriate" - like, in relation to the people and their relationship and all. For instance, even the random thing from Frodo about Sam with the "You will have to be one and whole, for many years. You have so much to enjoy and to be, and to do" (which can be sort of directed towards both, not only one of them - hey, actually! Only now have I realised - wouldn't it be all too great to apply this really to both of them together, you know, in the spirit of the well-known wedding-verse "and they shall be one..."), that could be good as well... But in any case, the best are probably the "classics" as mentioned by others. Maybe, as the last one, of the "songs", some part of the song of the Ent and Entwife. But then again, you have to judge what is the best situationally fitting... it might be even something completely unlikely and not so obviously related might work, you should just consider that too...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:26 AM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This is a toughie..there are very few happy love stories in Tolkien and no real love poems. There are lovely scenes such as Faramir and Eowyn holding hands unknowing waiting for the stroke of doom but unless the congregation are all Tolkienists I wonder how much sense they would make. The wedding of Aldarion and Erendis is lovely if you forget how the story ends but out of context? Hmm

So much as I love Tolkien I think if I were choosing a wedding reading I would go for something like this (it is easier to follow if you ignore the line breaks):

i carry your heart with me
by e. e. cummings

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
There are some nice lines in the "Tale of Aragorn and Arwen", Appendix A, where they meet in Lórien, though their renouncement of the Shadow is included. Whether that fits the personal context of the bridal couple remains for you to decide.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
"But Sam turned to Bywater, and so came back up the Hill, as day was ending once more. And he went on, and there was yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor upon his lap.
"He drew a deep breath. 'Well, I'm back,' he said."
Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Whatever you chose - and I would be curious to know..I hope all goes well..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote