The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2003, 10:25 PM   #1
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Frodo's Elvish qualities - nature or nurture?

I was thinking about something whilst re-reading the Fellowship the other day.

Frodo obviously has an Elvish likeness about him and I was wondering whether you guys thought this was nature or nurture related?

With nature I refer to a marked difference in his appearance which is mentioned several times, particularly in regards to his eyes. There may also be an element of destiny involved, that is has perhaps been ordained for him to undergo many 'unHobbit-like' tasks in his life and that it was his fate. Thus he was maybe born with a more ethereal, Elvish sense. This may, furthermore, explain his prophetic and telling dreams.

With nurture I refer to his environs. Familiar with Gandalf, through Bilbo, he has been exposed to many things Elvish. He speaks it to a proficient degree for one, and has been emmersed in lore and tales of adventures involving Elves through living at Bag End with Bilbo. He is at once more comfortable than the others with Gildor, for one, recognising the status of these Elves and their intentions through the realisation of Elbereth in their song. One curiosity is his own use of Her name whilst being attacked at Weathertop. Where does this come from?

What do you guys think is responsible for him being so much more Elvish than the other Hobbits, even Bilbo who has been interacting with Elves for far longer?

Could some of these principles be applied to Faramir, who I believe and I think many would agree, had definitely more of an Elvish quality than other Men of his kin. Is this anomalous Numenorean blood of old, which has somehow brought out Elvish qualities in him, and yet warrior-like ones in his brother?
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 08:20 AM   #2
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Perhaps it was both, 'nurture and nature'. Frodo did grow up with Bilbo and Gandalf and was exposed to many things elvish. Many people think (or at least I think)that the way you are brought up affects your personality and your physical appearance. Fate could have been a factor, and his childhood was helping him to prepare for this grand journey.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:24 AM   #3
tifo_gcs
Haunting Spirit

tifo_gcs has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I feel that it has to be all nurture. Granted he has features slightly different from most other hobbits is more the mark of a hero, who always has to have some special feautres, than elvish qualities. I feel that in order to be considered Elvish, he's got to have an elvish ancestor, and I really don't think he does. (Can you imagine a 6-foot elfish-looking thing with hairy toes and a beer belly? ergh [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )
As for his changing personality, I think a lot of it can be attributed to his posseision of a ring at time when the ring itself was waking. Regardless of the fact that he wasn't using it, he was the owner, so it held some influence over him. And he did spend a lot of time talking to elves and other foreigners.