The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2003, 05:34 AM   #1
Esmerelda Green

Question Does Frodo Baggins have a wife or a girl friend?

hello you!<BR>i've got a question!<BR>has got frodo baggins a wife or a girlfriend?<BR>has he got kids?<BR>was he the last baggins?<BR>has he got an a sister or a brother?<BR>if you can give an answer of this quetion write me!<BR>thx <BR>your stefi!<P>[Title modified for clarification]<p>[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 05-27-2003, 05:54 AM   #2
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo hasn't got a wife nor children and I'm pretty shure that he doesn't have a girlfriend.<BR>He is not the last Baggins since he has many relatives.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

No wife, no girlfriend, no brothers, no sisters, but no he wasn't the last Baggins- just the last of his specific line. (As he had no children.) If you read the book, or just open up a copy, you can see a family tree in the appendices of Return of the King which might clear some of your questions up. Alternatively try <A HREF="http://www.glyphweb.com/arda" TARGET=_blank>here</A>.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:10 PM   #4
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Poor Frodo, can't get a girlfriend.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

After what he went through during the War of the Ring, I don't think there was much left of him for a girlfriend/wife to have. He came back a shell of his former self. He wouldn't physically be able to love ever again. He was hurt too much.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:37 PM   #6
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I don't know about that. Being the wealthy, successful, hero of a hobbit that he was I'm sure Frodo could've gotten some action. I bet he could've gotten Rosie any time he wanted - he was just being too good of a friend to Sam, that's all.<BR>Oh, and Emerelda Green, don't be too upset if this gets move to the Novices and Newcomers forum.<p>[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: Scott ]
Old 05-27-2003, 04:43 PM   #7
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

He might have found a nice elf girl in the West... Just a general question: why is this topic in the Movies section?<P>~Menelien
Old 05-27-2003, 04:43 PM   #8
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Several miles over the madness horizon and accelerating
Bekah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bekah
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Poor Frodo, can't get a girlfriend. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The people in Middle-earth didn't have girlfriends. They were either married, engaged (as in Aragorn and Arwen's case) or totally single. Or else they were courting their loved one.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I don't know about that. Being the wealthy, successful, hero of a hobbit that he was I'm sure Frodo could've gotten some action. I bet he could've gotten Rosie any time he wanted - he was just being too good of a friend to Sam, that's all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He wasn't a wealthy, successful hero. Merry and Pippin were the popular ones. As Finwe said, he was the shell of his former self, very quiet and withdrawn. He had learnt and experienced much, much more than the other hobbits, even Sam. <P>Rosie was not a random slut of a hobbit. She was true to Sam in her heart. It wasn't his good looks or his money or his status or his popularity (none of which he had much of), but him. She loved him for himself.
Bekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:48 PM   #9
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

I'm sorry if you thought I meant to defame the good character of Rosie. Such slander was not in my intentions. I merely think that Frodo had a good deal going for him and could have been quite the Playboy if he wished.<BR>I was only reserving my right to healthy satire.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:58 PM   #10
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

That would be interesting. Players in ME? This may very well be the inspiration of a MEMayhem topic... <P>~Menelien
Old 05-27-2003, 05:06 PM   #11
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm sorry if you thought I meant to defame the good character of Rosie. Such slander was not in my intentions. I merely think that Frodo had a good deal going for him and could have been quite the Playboy if he wished. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Alright. But I don't believe any of the ME characters exploited each other like that. Lust was a factor, of course (Luthien and the other elf), but they didn't go further than capturing the maiden and refusing to let her go until she agreed to marry him. <P>But as I said, Rosie didn't look twice at any other man - I mean hobbit - even really gorgeous sexy ones. She loved what Sam was and not what he looked like.<P>Sorry for repeating myself.<P>~ Elentari II
Old 05-27-2003, 05:32 PM   #12
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think Rosie was one of the greatest supporting characters in the entire series. It takes a lot of trust and faith to wait for someone for that long, knowing that they are likely never to come back. Rosie understood that a part of Sam would always belong to Frodo, and that makes her all the more noble. Just as Frodo was consumed by the quest, Sam was too. Rosie would never have all of his heart, and she accepted that. She never once resented Frodo for it.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:36 PM   #13
dwalin

Sting

My we're a bit off topic aren't we? Oh well, why break the trend. I always felt that the little Sam-Rosie romance was vastly underdeveloped. It felt as if Tolkien said "Hmmm, Sam's gotta do something when Frodo leaves. I know I'll marry him off!" The other love relationships in the book were developed much more convincingly.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:21 PM   #14
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Well, I wouldn't say...<BR>I think Tolkien was just letting us discover that we have something called an imagination, and that we can use it when there are things we aren't told enough about. I thought we could have been told a <I>bit</I> more, but if it were more than that, it wouldn't be short and sweet anymore.<P>~Menelien
Old 05-27-2003, 10:39 PM   #15
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The people in Middle-earth didn't have girlfriends. They were either married, engaged (as in Aragorn and Arwen's case) or totally single. Or else they were courting their loved one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Heh, but do we know anything about concubines? We aren't told anything about Boromir's romantic life, nor of Faramir's pre-Eowyn. As tall handsome war captains, they surely got their jollies from somewhere. I doubt very much that everyone in ME was as formal and <I>patient</I> as Aragorn and Arwen were with their love life.<P>And I always got a very hippy-esque vibe from the Elves, I wonder if their encounters were ever casual? I think I remember reading somewhere that a marriage ceremony wasn't necessary; that two unmarried Elves who had sex were essentially bonding themselves by that act. Thus would marriage even be the right word? Without the official ceremony and formality of the act in our world, wouldn't words like 'union' or 'bonding' be more apt than 'married'?
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 10:49 PM   #16
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Without the official ceremony and formality of the act in our world, wouldn't words like 'union' or 'bonding' be more apt than 'married'? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They mean the same thing. <P>They didn't have one-night stands, though, and if they did (which I don't think so, sex isn't the only fun thing to do, you know) it was kept very quiet. Open mistresses and so forth were non-existent.<P>~ Elentari II
Old 05-28-2003, 11:15 AM   #17
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But as I said, Rosie didn't look twice at any other man - I mean hobbit - even really gorgeous sexy ones. She loved what Sam was and not what he looked like.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I'm not saying you're wrong but what is your authority?
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 04:24 PM   #18
Bekah
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

My instinct. You read it again yourself and tell me whether you think Rosie would be likely to fancy any other hobbit but Sam. She's faithful to him in thought and deed, mark my words...<P>~ Elentari II
Old 05-28-2003, 04:30 PM   #19
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I was disapointed that Frodo never had a girlfriend, so I made one up in my fanfic. Anyway, I guess it fit because he needed to leave in the end anyway, and Sam couldn't leave because of Rosie, so I guess a girl just didn't go with the story.<BR>Anyway, I was still disapointed, all that talk of Frodo being so tall and fair and sensitive and all that other good stuff.<BR>And he NEVER gets a girl. Oh well, there's always MarySues.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote