The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2001, 11:17 AM   #41
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Although around one another, boys will be boys and act as if smoochin' were the fastest way to catch girl cooties, we quite well understand that priming a gal for romance is often best achieved by treating her to romance on the big screen in a fine motion picture. (Listen up young fellers!)<br> <br> The Faramir/Eowyn scene is the most romantic in the novel. We are never treated to this for Aragorn/Arwen. Will the second string actors be allowed to overshadow the romantic interests of the leads in the movie?<br> <p><center> <i>~~~<a href="http://www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000">My Bare Bones Webpage</a>~~~</b></i> </center></p>
Old 03-16-2001, 03:37 PM   #42
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Samwise of the shire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> bluuuuurrrrrg haccccckkkk whaugghhh,oh nasssty yessss my preciosss having nice master and nassty hobbit fooll around nasssty indeed.My heck sharku can we get a normal post?I've beenon one of yours and that was almost as bad.-why in the world am I posting here?-but Imust agree the eowen and faramir part is romantic.<br> samwise <p></p>
Samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 08:40 AM   #43
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Did anyone here read Bored of the Rings? This thread reminded me of reading it when I was much younger and being very taken by the Frodo-Galadriel scene... hairy toes and all...<br> <br> <p></p>
Old 03-18-2001, 09:34 AM   #44
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> I actually got that book for my birthday, but haven;t really looked at it yet.<br> <br> Speaking of sex in the movies-<br> I think of a loving scene between Eomer and Aragorn when they meet on the battlefield. Nothing too obvious, just a hug that lasts a *little* too long. Sly shot of Eomer wiping away a tear when Arwen and Aragorn tie the knot.<br> <br> BTW, ever wonder why Gimli and Legolas were so close?<br> <br> *I've going to get banned for this, I just know it.* <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 03-18-2001, 04:03 PM   #45
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> lol! Legolas just couldn't resist the beard...<br> <br> <p></p>
Old 03-20-2001, 05:26 PM   #46
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Ring

<BR><br><br> ok this'll have to be fast or else I'll puke,What is it with the homo stuff? <p></p>
Old 03-20-2001, 06:18 PM   #47
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Wishfull thinking. <p>What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?</p>
Old 03-20-2001, 06:44 PM   #48
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR><br><br> For me it's all about the fact that there are so few female characters. When pairing people up there are many more men than women! <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 03-25-2001, 01:20 PM   #49
Glorfindel
Animated Skeleton

Glorfindel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> And why does Gimli always insist on riding a horse with Legolas? <p></p>
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 02:29 PM   #50
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Ring

<BR><br><br> They're really good friends, if you know what I mean. <p>What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?</p>
Old 03-25-2001, 09:31 PM   #51
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dûm

the Lorien wanderer has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> We KNOW what you mean. Don't spell it out!!!!<br> Now let me go and be sick in befitting misery. Ugh. <p>What if - what if this is as good as it gets?</p>
the Lorien wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 07:17 AM   #52
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Ring

<BR><br><br> hum... reading this thread made me think of the Húorns at the Hornburg... well.... NO ONE actually ever knew what happened to the orcs when they ran in there. oh my god... *LOL* <p>Behold the King of Moria!</p>

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 03:24 PM   #53
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Ring

<BR><br><br> That is soooo disgusting,poor TLW could'nt take it But man Balin that was an outragous post terrible,but just to add to the subject*how in the heck do you do evil*?What was it with Sam and Pippin?I mean I caould'nt help noticing but Pippin would some times come up to Sam and would whisper in his ear or something like that.Or what about lets say ohhhhh Arwen and Aragorn near the fountain when Frodo comes to sy good bye?what cha think? <p></p>
Old 03-27-2001, 08:21 AM   #54
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Want something really disgusting for your gay-phobia, Samwise?<br> <br> Take a look at Ian McKellen's homepage... and then, imagine, what Gandalf and Saruman were really doing at Orthanc... was the bondaging of Gandalf maybe voluntary? Now imagine that in the movie! 'Whip me, Sharkey!'<br> <p></p>
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 09:29 AM   #55
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

<BR><br><br> LOL! <br> now let me think.... <br> yeah, hmm i wonder... were there any orc wives?<br> and what did Sauron do if he got horny?? get some snagas up to barad dur? lol <br> and if he did,... how could Sauron have sex? i mean he would burn everyone wouldnt he?<br> <p>Behold the King of Moria!</p>

Old 03-27-2001, 12:59 PM   #56
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Let's not overdo it.<br> Still... no orc-wives, hmm... <p></p>
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 10:13 PM   #57
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR><br><br> hmm, on a slightly different slant, do you think they will show the entwives in loving embraces with their hubby's? <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 03-28-2001, 03:28 AM   #58
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR><br><br> I really like that twisting X.<br> Everything else on this page, I hate. <br> Specially, Gandalf and Saruman. *moans* <p>What if - what if this is as good as it gets?</p>
Old 03-28-2001, 10:48 AM   #59
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR><br><br> I'm glad I could bring a little joy to your day TLW. I, for one, have really enjoyed this thread. What's wrong with poking some fun at the all-too-serious istari? And, what's wrong with any two people (regardless of sex or race) loving each other? Just a thought, keeping in mind that I study sexual minority issues <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 03-28-2001, 10:17 PM   #60
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR><br><br> Oh no, no, no. There is no way I'm against homosexuality. But talking about homosexuality is like talking about sex-change operations in middle-earth. I mean, was Aragorn really male, or was he born female? <br> AAAAARGH! See, you got me started as well. And it may make me sick, but it also makes me laugh. Otherwise I wouldn't come back. <p>What if - what if this is as good as it gets?</p>
Old 03-28-2001, 10:23 PM   #61
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR><br><br> I can agree with you on the funny part! Sex change operations in ME? What about plastic surgery? I can see the point though, sometimes the suspension of disbelief just gets strerched a little thin. <p>-*-The X Phial-*- You must believe in free will, you have no choice. Isaac Singer</p>
Old 03-29-2001, 05:20 PM   #62
Mithrandir
Haunting Spirit

Mithrandir has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> This has become a soap opera!!! Just imagine. . .<br> Stay tuned for the next episode of Life In Middle Earth where Aragorn confesses to his love Arwen that he was formerly a woman, Rosie Cotton gets breast implants, and Pippin announces his profound love for Merry. And now for our sponsors. . .<br> Too strange, isnt it??!! <p>The Road goes ever on and on </p>
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 06:04 PM   #63
KM Tinuviel
Pile O'Bones

KM Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> WISHFUL THINKING!!!!!!</b><br><br> OK, if there's no sex in the movies, I can live with that just fine...but could we just put Russell Crowe in there somewhere, anywhere, PLEASE??? <p></p>
KM Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2001, 06:47 PM   #64
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: WISHFUL THINKING!!!!!!</b><br><br> Russell Crowe would have made a fine Aragorn, I think. <p><center> <a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com">Barrow-Downs</a>~<a href="http://www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000">Bare Bones</a>~<a href="http://pub41.ezboard.com/btarostineruhir">Tar Ost-in-Eruhir</a>~<a href="http://www.geocities.com/robertwgardner2000/gilthalion.html">Grand Adventures</a>~<a href="http://www.barrowdowns.com/fanfichobbits.asp">The Hobbits</a>~<a href="http://www.tolkientrail.com">Tolkien Trail</a> </center></p>
Old 03-31-2001, 11:34 PM   #65
KM Tinuviel
Pile O'Bones

KM Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: WISHFUL THINKING!!!!!!</b><br><br> ...and yet a finer Beren <p></p>
KM Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 03:56 AM   #66
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

<BR> Re: WISHFUL THINKING!!!!!!</b><br><br> wouldn'T russel crowe be the perfect boromir???<br> well that's just because i've seen him in &quot;gladiator&quot;. <p>Behold the King of Moria!</p>

Old 04-03-2001, 05:53 PM   #67
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Ring

<BR> Re:Hmmmmmmmm</b><br><br> I really dont think that Rosie would be the type of woman to get implants,and Sam would probably hate it too I mean in the books he's a sensible-sometimes that's one reason I like Sam is that he comes up with ideas and then they go flop-I'd say that ohhh...hmmmm.....well not any hobbit maid thats for sure......-would'nt implants hinder eowyen from getting her armor on?-.......ooohh sht I cant think of any LOTR woman who'd do that,and as for Pippin loving Merry?Hmmmmm.....wait wait what if all four?Nah dont think that'd work they might get jealous ,wait do you think...nah he would'nt he's too faithful-I hope I'm torturing you-hmm oh wait what do you think Gandalf would do if he het one of the female professors in Harry Potter?Nah dont think so,ohhhhhh what if Shelob met one of her offspring?See I can be just as weird as you people<br> the off color<br> Samwise of the Shire<br> <p></p>
Old 04-25-2001, 03:13 PM   #68
BurrahobbitsGirl

Ring

<BR> Re: Sex in the movies????</b><br><br> (This message was left blank) <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000362>Burrahob bitsGirl</A> at: 4/25/01 5:17:59 pm<br></i>
Old 04-28-2001, 11:43 PM   #69
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR> Re: Sex in the movies????</b><br><br> Samwise could easily become a very successful soap opera conceptualizer. <p>Humour is emotional chaos remembered in moments of tranquility.</p>
Old 04-30-2001, 11:54 PM   #70
enep
The Ghastly Leprechaun

enep has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Sex in the movies????</b><br><br> Gladiator was by far the best movie I've seen in ages (aside from Fight Club and The Matrix ) but Russell Crowe would play a far better Aragorn, IMO.<br> <br> And he's Australian. Nyah nyah <p>- <i>enep</i></p>
Old 05-01-2001, 01:47 AM   #71
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Sex in the movies????</b><br><br> You guys really! Now I've read through the full tread - and its really sad. <br> <br> First of all I want to say that the Movie don't need sex scenes, and there wont be any. Period. As for romance - well JRRT himself called his trilogy a Heroic Romance - the hole story is a romance, just not between two specific people ...<br> <br> The tread is sad because it really shows the fatal puritanism that is bound to kill all creativity, art and openmindedness. <br> <br> But I am glad that some of you guys are not afraid to make us all laugh - Gandalf/Saruman - Yes it cracked me up... And I too had to pinch myself when I read about bathing elfmaids :-)))<br> <br> As for Gladiator - good film, great scenes - lousy plot (if you know a little of the history of the roman empire!!! Anyway Russel did great - but I wote Boromir for him - He seems a little like an ignorant brute to me... <br> <br> Cheers Telchar <p></p>
Old 05-01-2001, 09:08 AM   #72
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR> Re: Sex in the movies????</b><br><br> I, too, have read the whole thread, many times in fact. I agree that no sex is needed, and many good movies (especially sci fi) are made without any overt sexuality. I also think that while it would be inappropriate for the tone of the LotR, there is nothing wrong with expressing sexuality in films. We are taught that it is something to be ashamed of and I have to stop now or I'm going to get up on my soapbox and never stop. Anyway, aside from the point that sex sells, I had a much more disturbing dream last night in which someone bought me all of the Burger King LotR action figures complete with Hewing Gimli. AARRGGGHHHH! Woke me up it was so terrible! LOL <p>-*-The X Phial-*- "Yet more fair is the living land of Lorien, and the Lady Galadriel is above all the jewels that lie beneath the earth!"</p>
Old 05-01-2001, 03:42 PM   #73
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Ring

<BR>*Wincing*</b><br><br> Let's hope X's dream does'nt come true,that's worse than sex in the movies eeeessshhhh,brrrrr . Do you think that LOTR action figure boycotts would work?No No action figures must go!!! <br> Sam <p></p>
Old 05-03-2001, 03:37 PM   #74
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Ring

<BR> Re: Sex in the movies????</b><br><br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> And I too had to pinch myself when I read about bathing elfmaids<hr></blockquote>We'll have to hope for the DVD. <p>What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?</p>
Old 05-04-2001, 12:37 PM   #75
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Ring

<BR> Re: Sex in the movies????</b><br><br> A bit late, prb, but NO RUSSEL CROW as Aragorn or Beren, ple-e-e-e-ease <p><a href=http://www.geocities.com/gl_century/Heren.html>GeorgeLashkhi</a> </p>

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 03:54 PM   #76
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Ring

<BR> I've never seen Gladiator</b><br><br> I hear Crowe is a good actor,but I dont think he looks like a good Aragorn.Do you think that Dicaprio would be a good Aragorn or better as a Hobbit?I noticed one thing though we are off topic here.But this does'nt make me turn green or anything like that.<br> Sam <p></p>
Old 05-10-2001, 04:38 PM   #77
Zoe
Wight

Zoe has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: I've never seen Gladiator</b><br><br> Methinks the only role appropriate for DiCaprio would be as an orc... <p>"This sig is proudly quote-free." -Me.<br> (Also known as eoz, and now has a non-Tolkien forum, called <a href="http://pub57.ezboard.com/beverythingelse45161">everything else</a>.) </p>
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 05:30 AM   #78
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR> Re:</b><br><br> I quite agree. I can't vaguely imagine DiCaprio in the movie at all actually but better an Orc than Aragorn. <p></p>
Old 05-12-2001, 05:41 PM   #79
Samwise of the shire
Wight

Ring

<BR> LOL:laughing</b><br><br> As an orc huh?'Bout to say he look kinda funky as an orc I mean I know a few people(well not a few like one girl)who thinks he's cute,I myself think he's moderate not super cute nor way ugly,but get this My Mom things that he would look better as a hobbit!!!Ok what ever!:roll eyes,to me he'd be more like an elf or something like that with his high cheek bones,but I'd like him better if he just stuck to the movies he usually plays in.<br> Sam<br> <p></p>
Old 05-21-2001, 07:07 PM   #80
Gwindor
Animated Skeleton

Gwindor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gwindor
Ring

<BR><br><br> Sex? no. Romance? only the kind that fits a PG-13 rating. Although, Liv Tyler is pretty hot... <p></p>