The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
meg-ilusamwise

Pipe Frodo and Sam

You know what i dont get?
why Tolken didnt do alot on sam and frodo i mean i know Tolken did write alot about them but when i was reading LOTR it was like most of it was aragorn and legolas and gimli took up all the book looking for Took and Brandybuck.
but thats just my opinion did anyone else find that when they were reading the books? but the books were still awsome
Old 07-26-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Maybe there was only so much he could do with two characters. In the other half of the story you had Merry/Pippin, Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli, all the Rohan characters, and later on all the Gondor characters.

There was an awful lot going on in that part of Middle-earth in those few days, whereas all Frodo and Sam were really doing was walking along a road.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Also the story grew a lot more than Tolkien originally envisaged. I am afraid that I was a lot more interested in Aragorn amd Legolas' adventures when I first read the book and gave up during the long and depressing slog of Frodo and Sam's to Mordor with creepy gollum. It was a year before I went back and finished the book. However there are some very good bits in there - Ithilien, Faramir, Oliphaunts ...... but even so as Eomer rightly points out, there is a lot more going on in the more complex events elsewhere. The hunt for Merry and Pippin is actually only a few chapters but they introduce a lot of new stuff to be sure. They are crucial for the success of the quest though.

If Merry and Pippin hadn't been captured and hunted for there would have been no ents to aid in the defeat of Saruman at Helm's deep and Isengard, no ride of the Rohirrim to stave off defeat at Pelennor, Aragorn would not be in the right place to take advantage of his destiny and ride the paths of the dead - nor would he have the Palantir to challenge Sauron. The success of the Quest depended in no small measure to the eye of Sauron being diverted away from Frodo and Sam. As a result so is the readers!!!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

I'm confused...did you read Book IV dedicated to the journies of Frodo and Sam after they left the Fellowship? Book III is for the rest of the characters. Why hasn't anybody else said this?