Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-03-2002, 01:31 PM   #681
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan watched the storm blow over the coast with some concern for his friends. After the skies began to clear, he pondered the need to contact the Teleri over such a great distance, then resolved to try an experiment.

First he cleared his mind and shut out all thought of the Lonely Star or its crew. Then he reached out to Child, envisioning only her face as he did not know her precise location. Focusing solely on Child, he made his query, "Saw storm. Is all well?" Then he continued to reach out to the East as he waited. To his surprise, he received a prompt response, "All well. People very friendly here."

He thought that he detected both a sense of surprise from Child as well as deep sarcasm in her response. He smiled, resolving to ask about the "friendly" locals when she returned. Just then Tule, walked by. Seeing Mithadan sitting on a barrel uncharacteristically (Mithadan seemed to always be in motion and was a chronic pacer) he asked, "What are you doing this evening, Mithadan."

Mithadan raised an eyebrow at this. "You mean you don't know?" he asked. Confused, Tule shook his head. The Man leaned back and, to Tule's surprise, he laughed loudly.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:18 PM   #682
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Child was probably right, like always, Rose thought as she climbed into bed. But it had been a very scary experience and she had been unprepared for it. As she started to drift off she heard a noice. It was Child. It sounded like she had just stiffled a giggle. "What's so funny?" Rose asked.

"Mithadan. He says hi."

A little confused Rose went to sleep.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:00 AM   #683
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

His grey cloak wrapped about him to ward off the brisk breeze, Tulė stood and watched Mithadan laugh.

What is so funny?

Receiving no answer, except for another outburst of laughter, the elf continued on his way up to the helm. He was absorbed in thinking about who to contact and when to contact the Teleri. His original plan had not involved a particular person but only whoever would be attending on the Master Stone in Avallonė. Now he must link with someone who would give the message to the Teleri to set sail.

An idea had come to him, late in the afternoon of this day, and he wished to try it out. He strode up to where Veritas sat watching the gulls wheel and turn in the sky.

Veritas, have you a moment?

Of course! What is it you wish?

I need to use the crystal. Can you show me how it works? Or better yet, can you come with me so that you might handle the crystal while I try to make contact with someone in Avallonė?

Avallonė? Who will you contact there?

Tulė leaned in close to Veritas and whispered something in his ear. Veritas' eyes widened, and they he shook his head 'yes'. Removing the crystal in its casing from the helm, he grabbed his own cloak and hurried with Tulė to lower a skiff into the water.

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-04-2002, 11:45 AM   #684
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

3319, Second Age, Day (??)
Phura learned a new song today. It's not well-known at all (I've never heard it before, anyway.) Phura said Loremaster wasn't going to teach it to me because I would have thought it was sappy. Well, it is sappy. But anyway I begged Phura to teach it to me and he did. It's valiant too. Gondolin!

I wonder who it was for, though. It doesn't say. I think Phura has guessed, but he's not talking. Loremaster, of course, is giving no hints at all.

Lindo's Song for an old, young friend

Sweet child, who wild and daring played,
Sweet lady, wild, and still untamed;
The final price you boldly paid,
In childhood haunt, when evil came.

In Gondolin your ashes lie
And yet, dear child, you grow apace;
Your grace, your joy, your oft-lit smile
Will shine and grow in later days.

How shall I sing of you, dear child?
Lament nor lullabye seem fit.
Many shall taste in ages hence
Your lovely charm, and stinging wit.

How shall I weep? Your laughter rings;
Shining eyes and impish smile take
captive wistful hearts that will sing
In the freedom bought by your blade.

How shall I weep? although your end
With vision all too clear I see;
I'll turn my head, and gaze instead
at your future, still bright and free.

Let children of your valor sing
And dance in circles, laughing wild;
While circling years the ages bring,
You'll sing, and dance, and laugh, dear child.

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 09-04-2002, 02:32 PM   #685
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The two elves rowed quickly to a place well away from the ship. Veritas had bound the crystal to a crossbar in the skiff and opened it to reset the position of the stone to the time Tulė had requested. He closed the cover, and they shifted.

They were now in the Second Age, in a spot farther from Avallonė than they would be when they came to rescue the hobbits. The two moved the skiff so that the prow faced West. Tulė hoped that this orientation would assist him to focus his call more easily.

Veritas kept the craft steady while Tulė cleared his mind of extraneous intrusions and brought up a picture within it of the one he meant to call. Questing gently Westward in his thought, he sought her.

An O! It is you?! confirmed the contact. He quickly filled her in on his plan and the need for her assistance. There was a small pause, as she seemed to speak with someone else near her. Then came her answer.

Gladly will I do this for you! I will look for you soon, and the ships will be ready to answer your call..

One last question. How long will it take the Telerin ships to reach the mouths of the Siril?

She spoke again to someone near her. Twenty days at the most. They are more swift than the ships of Men. I will see you there! Until then . . .

The ghost of a small caress on his cheek lingered as he asked Veritas to return them to the Star. Tired, but smiling, he bent his back to the oars and rowed back to the ship.

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-04-2002, 02:47 PM   #686
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan was below decks when he heard the scrape of one of the skiffs being lowered. He ran up a gangway and went to the rail, only to see Tule and Veritas in the small boat moving away from the Lonely Star.

"Hey!" he shouted. "Where are you off to? What's going on?"

His mind was filled briefly with the silvery sound of laughter. "We'll be back soon! Sooner than soon!" "We won't be gone any time at all!" Then more laughter before an abrupt silence. At a distance of perhaps a hundred yards from the Star, the skiff had shimmered and disappeared.

Mithadan gritted his teeth. "Elves!" he exclaimed with frustration. "Truly! An unpredictable lot aren't they? Tell me, what's for dinner this evening, Master Chef?"

The Man looked up at Angara who was lazing in the crowsnest above him with an amused look in her eyes. "Pureed carrots, squash and radishes for you Madame Wyrm."

He ignored the indignant growl from above him. The skiff and its two passengers had just reappeared. He waited impatiently for the Elves to return. They seemed to be in a jolly mood. He hoped their temperament would remain the same when they discovered that they would be cooking tonight.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:18 PM   #687
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The elves secured the skiff to the ship and climbed aboard, only to be greeted by the obviously irritated Mithadan.

'We said we'd return soon and here we are - barely gone enough time for you to grow so irritated.' Tule removed his cape, warm after the exertions of rowing. 'You will be happy to know another piece of the puzzle has fallen into place, despite my error in thinking we could use a palantķr.'

'Oh, yes?' returned the man, less gruffly, but still not mollified. 'And what pray tell is that piece?'

'Mithadan, relax just a little! I do not mean to have you think I keep things from you. I did not think you needed to pass on each thing that pertains to our planning for Nśmenor. Next time though I will be more thoughtful and let you know what I am thinking.' He ran his fingers through his unruly hair. 'So - we returned to the Second Age. I needed to find someone I could use as a contact for our call to the Teleri, and I was able to do so. Now all we need do is determine when to call them. Will you be free later to assist with that?'

A sly, catlike smile creased the man's face. 'Why of course, I can assist! Right after dinner.'

'You're not making fish stew again tonight, are you?' asked the unsuspecting elf, wondering if he could ferret out some old bread and fruit from the hold.

'No, you are!' said the man, his eyes twinkling in delight at the expression on the elf's face. 'You and your travelling companion there.' he said, pointing at Veritas. 'Best hurry! The crew will be getting hungry soon.' He walked off, laughing to himself. The two elves looked at each other and grinned behind his retreating back.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:03 PM   #688
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dūm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Khelek sighed, deciding if Mithadan wasn't going to cook dinner soon, then he might as well take some tea. He was rearranging some notes on Numenor when Veritas and Tulė entered, both of them smiling. Khelek frowned as he studied them. They were obviously up to some mischief.

"I have compiled all the information about Numenor that could be found. Most of it is already well-known to us," Khelek told them.

"Then find the unknown ones and tell them to us!" Tulė answered, filling a kettle with water to boil as Veritas told Khelek of their escapade.

Khelek raised an eyebrow. "I don't believe Mithadan was quite thrilled about your choice."

"Well, no. To tell you the truth, I didn't really mind his fish stew that much," Tulė replied, smiling broadly.

"I just hope you're no worse than a cook he is," Khelek said, gathering his work. "And I like my tea light, so don't add more than a pinch of leaf." He chuckled to himself at Tulė's expression as he left the galley into the evening air.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:24 PM   #689
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

A well aimed mug flew through the doorway and caught the retreating Khelek in the back of his head, bringing him to his knees. A universe of stars wheeled through his mind. He attempted to rise, and was knocked flat by the weight of Tulė hitting him from behind.

Knife drawn from his boot top, Tulė straddled the downed elf. Grabbing Khelek by his hair, he drew his head up and touched the blade of his knife to the hollow of the throat.

Is this light enough for you, Elf? he 'said' icily, his grey eyes gone cold. And as for what Mithadan is or is not thrilled with, it is best you leave that to him and to me.

A hand grabbed a fistfull of Tulė's collar and hauled him from Khelek. What are you doing? Put that knife away! came the stern command from Mithadan.

Impudent Elf! came Tulė, his eyes snapping dangerously. He shrugged off the restraining arm of the man. He should never have come!

He secured the blade back in his boot. Taking a deep breath, he collected himself, and noticed most of the crew had come to see the outcome of this skirmish. He bowed to them. 'A thousand pardons for this display. I have no excuse to offer.' Or apologies, either. he directed at Khelek, being helped now to his feet by Veritas and Mithadan.

He strode down the gangplank, away from the others. Reaching his room, he shut the door securely and threw himself on the bed.

The crew was left to fend for themselves for any hope of dinner.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:46 PM   #690
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

A cold supper washed down with a cup of thin wine brought no improvement to Mithadan's mood. He sat at the cleared table in the galley with a large map of Nśmenor in front of him. When to call the ships - that was to be the next part of the plan they tackled. Now Khelek was sulking in his room with a headache and a bruised ego, and Tulė had his door shut firmly.

'Why can't things ever run smoothly on this ship!' he muttered to himself.

We should rename you Mithadan the Mutterer. interjected Angara from her perch atop the cabinets.

The man raised his head and scowled at the dragon. Drawing a smaller map he had made of the area immediately surrounding the underground caverns to him, he bent his head to the study of it.

You must admit that was an interesting pre-dinner encounter between the two elves. Don't you think?

Not raising his head from his study of the maps, he asked Interesting? That is hardly a word I would use to describe it. He raised his head and gazed intently at the dragon. What are you driving at?

Perhaps nothing. replied the dragon, now on the floor and making her way out the galley door. Just that for some, it would seem, old habits die hard.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:06 PM   #691
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

OOC -- Song courtesy of Helen.

Child sat on the deck with Rose, too tired even to try and sleep. They had made their way back to the Star by the early evening, their skiff laden with supplies they would need for the arrival of the hobbits. Bird and Levanto had still not returned.

Child sighed and shivered in the stiff breeze which blew across the deck. The image of the night before lay over her like a bad dream that would not disappear. She'd thought to come back to the Star and find her friends ready to share her small stories and help her laugh away the troubles of the day. But, it had not turned out quite like that.

A pall hung over the ship. Child had no idea what was happening or why it was happening, but she didn't like it. Once again, she found herself questioning Tule's behavior. When Rose came up beside her, she wrapped her arm about the girl's waist. Rose leaned over and whispered, "I wish Piosenniel was here..." Her voice trailed off into the wind. And then it came out with soft hesitency, "I want to go home." In all their months of travel and searching, Rose had never said that before. Not even when they were in the camps. Child had no idea how to answer her.

She looked over at her young friend and thought with some sadness, "At least you know where home is. I'm afraid I've lost myself somewhere, and can't seem to find the way. Her fingers groped towards the gem which lay nestled at her throat. She wrapped her fingers around it tightly, as if willing it to reveal some hidden answers.

Across the deck, she could hear Kali's gentle voice, raised in an ancient song that Child could remember the Tuks singing the night before Gondolin had fallen:

Hear the gentle breezes murmur
Listen to the songbirds sing
See the starlight softly shining
See the elven-torches gleam

Elven songs the breezes riding
Elven forms moon-shadows hiding
What a pretty place to slumber
Such a pretty place to slumber
safe in Gondolin

Hear the splashing water murmur
Listen to the fountain sing
See the stars reflection shining
See the elvish eyes a-gleam

Hear the whirling dresses murmur
Listen to the minstrels sing
See the elven dancers shining
Hair and eyes and faces gleam

Elven songs the breezes riding
Elven forms moon-shadows hiding
What a pretty place to slumber
Such a pretty place to slumber
safe in Gondolin

As the song ended, the two women sat in silence for a long time. Finally, Rose asked: "What do we do then?"

Child gazed up towards the gleaming skies and said with a certain grim fierceness, "We do what our people have always done. We dig in and hang on."

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-05-2002, 07:11 AM   #692
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

"What do you mean, Angara? Whose habits? Khelek or Tule's?" Silence. "Angara? DRAGON!"

Mithadan started out the door after the wyrm, then stopped. "More riddles? Curse the stiff necks of Elves and Dragons!" He sat heavily on a chair in the vacant galley, and replayed in his mind what he had seen of the altercation between Tule and Khelek. Then he struggled to recall all interactions which he and the other crew members had with Khelek and Tule. The former had frequently proved useless during their voyage. The latter was mysterious and sometimes almost worthy of suspicion. Yet Ancalimon had acted as if Tule was an ally. He could trust Ancalimon based upon what he had heard from Child and Rose.

In his mind he saw Veritas and Tule in the skiff shimmer and disappear only to return minutes later. They had travelled to the Second Age before attempting to contact Avallone. Why? Mithadan's eyes narrowed as he struggled to reconcile the day's events.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:55 AM   #693
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

The crew was fragmented, distracted. Each lost in his or her own concerns or grief. Child and Rose had lost Maura and Lindo and their friends of the First Age. Tule and Khelek were at odds. He was struggling with his own dismay over the events in Gondolin. Angara continued to speak in riddles. Kali and Daisy were at the mercy and whim of the others. Veritas had joined Tule on his jaunt and was as closed mouthed as any Elf. Bird was typically aloof.

He alone had commanded a vessel and crew. Despite this, he had never claimed the title of Captain of the Lonely Star; this was a joint effort. But he alone appeared to understand the need for unity, mutual trust and camaraderie. To succeed in this dangerous venture these various individuals must unite and they had not.

He reached a decision...but he was afraid...
Old 09-05-2002, 08:06 AM   #694
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Kali interrupted his sad, beautiful song, lifting his head and cocking one ear. "Lee-van-to and Bird-ee return!" he cried. He ran to the railing, peering out to the horizon, where the sea seemed to roll and boil. Kali immediately dived from the ship to greet his friends, while Child and Rose ran to the side to see the arrival.

A black and silver dolphin form leapt from the water and, morphing in midair, landed light-footed on the deck. "I'm getting better at that stunt." Birdie commented admirably to herself. "Well, Child, the Mer-Folk have been generous to a fault. But there is one small problem."

"Oh, no! Now what?" Child moaned.

At that moment, the halflings heard a bright clear call from the water. Levanto appeared, breeching the waves like a porpoise, while a laughing Kali rode on his back. "Ahoy, Lonely Star. The hunters return!"

Following Levanto was a "flotilla", if such a word could be used for people, of Mer-Folk. They were singing and laughing as they surrounded the ship, waving to the poor "Land-Folk" watching from above, and laughingly inviting them to dive in and join the fun. The good sea people were towing behind them a staggering variety of woven cages and baskets, a-swarm with the bounty of the ocean. Fish darted and struggled in great traps, baskets and baskets of plant and animal forms were hauled by strong Mer-Lads, who were grabbing dangling lines and securing the baskets to the hull of the ship.

And mingled among the people, Child saw what she at first thought were wise, old faces staring up at her. But these faces were grey, not green. "What are those things?" Rose said aloud in wonder. Child saw that the faces were actually attached to some form of sea-beast, great grey forms with tails like two round dinner plates. The stubby flippers were tipped with blunt nails, which the creatures would use to thoughtfully scratch their bellies. Mer-Children were riding on the backs of some of these forms, patting their backs like a favorite pony, and calling encourgement or endearments to their barrel-shaped mounts.

The bewhiskered faces of the animals were finished off with great, round, mild, dark eyes. To Child, they reminded her of other dark, gentle eyes she had seen peering at her over fences in the Shire.

"Sea-Cows, Rose. Those are Sea-Cows. You asked for milk, and milk you shall have. The Mer-Folk have even sent herders to care for them while they are here, since I'm quite sure none of us on board have had experience milking a Sea-Cow."

"Generous indeed are the Mer-Folk!" Laughed Mithadan. "This is enough food to keep even an army of Halflings fit and fed. And we shall have more than strained food for dinner tonight."

"But Bird," Child whispered worriedly the the Skin-Changer, "there is so much food! How will we ever get it on board?"

"Well, that's the problem, Child. You can't. The Mer-Folk do not excel at preserving foodstuff. Hard to do when you're under water. Everything you see here is "on-the-hoof", so to speak. If you bring any of it on board, it will immediately start to rot. None of this can go with us to the Second Age, unless you brought salt and barrels back with you from your trip to the inn."

"Come, Child; Smile! Our friends are watching. You'll offend them. That's right. Wave and smile..."

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 09-05-2002, 09:03 AM   #695
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan avoided the commotion of the arrival of the Sea-Folk. He greeted Bird and Kali briefly then excused himself. In his cabin, he lifted the small conch shell and its chain and placed it on his neck, then composed himself and waited calmly as the night lengthened. When the commotion died away, he climbed to the deck. The ship was anchored and all the "land folk" were below. Angara lay sleeping on a coil of rope on the foredeck.

He climbed quietly to the crowsnest and sat quietly beneath the stars. The Valacirca swung above him making him shudder with the thought of what he intended. Mithadan cleared his mind and began by envisioning the floor below him as a barrier which extended like a dome over the ship. Satisfied with its strength, he made himself comfortable and turned to face the West.

What he was doing went against every fiber of his being. He was a descendant of Earendil the Bright through the line of Elros, a Numenorean, one of the Faithful who had not ever rebelled and turned against the West and its rightful rule. Nonetheless, he reached out to the West in deep concentration.

The sea was distant below him. As he cast his mind Westward it seemed even more distant. After some minutes, he seemed to perceive unknown lands in that direction but they were dark, mundane, mortal. So he searched about, above and below. Again the ocean receded and suddenly he felt himself rushing headlong into a barrier. With an impact which seemed physical in nature, he crashed into the wall and his concentration wavered for a moment.

He felt the shell on his chest and thought for a moment, "Ulmo, Lord of the Seas, help me... and forgive me." Then he cast about for a gap in the wall, any opening in the barrier separating East from West...and he perceived the Gate. Atop its arch was a figure, clad in green and silver with wild hair and eyes and carrying a great trident. But this was not Ulmo, he perceived and another name came to him unbidden: Osse.

The figure raised the trident and made as if to plunge it into his chest, then paused as another figure appeared, taller, bearded and also clad in green and silver. And Ulmo raised his horn and blew though Mithadan could not hear, and two others appeared. Mithadan could not meet the blazingly bright eyes of the figure clad in blue, but next to him stood a Lady wearing grey robes. Tears flowed from her eyes but she smiled. The figures seemed to debate for a moment, then all but Osse disappeared. He lowered his trident and the gate swung open.

His passed through swiftly and crossed over the grey seas in a rush of wind until, in the West, a great Mountain rose from the waters. And its peak, covered with snow, shone brightly and the land below it seemed to glow with radiant beauty. But there was not his errand.

To an island in a great bay he travelled and sought for a familiar mind. And he found it. "Idril," he whispered. The mind stirred and turned to him in surprise. "Mithadan!? You risk all to come here?" He replied wearily to the shining figure, "I could do no less. The ship... the crew is fragmented by grief and weariness. They act on their own with no unity and there is distrust. If we are to do this thing, our errand, we must work together, not at odds."

Idril nodded. "What would you have from me?" Mithadan was silent for a moment. "Tule. Child distrusts him and I do as well, yet he carries the burden of this errand on his shoulders. He is the key and the lock. He went to the Second Age without warning or word and claims to have contacted one in Avallone to advance our quest. Is this true?"

Idril seemed surprised. "Yes. Of course. To confirm that the Teleri might be contacted she...he contacted me." And insight struck Mithadan with a blaze of light. He rushed away from the Undying Lands and through the Gate. Osse spoke as he passed, "Do not come this way again, Child of Man." But he smiled and waved.

Mithadan's barriers crumbled and he crashed heavily to the deck of the crowsnest, soaked in sweat and weary beyond belief.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:24 AM   #696
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The smell of the waters of the Shadowy Seas was so strong about him, that it pulled him from his dark dreaming. His eyes flew open to the cabin's darkness, now filled with familiar voices. He felt pinned to his bed, unable to arise as the image of the Tower of Pearl flooded his thoughts.

And then it was gone, ripped away . . .empty. He struggled to his feet, mind reeling, and called into the now silent dark.

What have you done!

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-05-2002, 11:54 AM   #697
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child sat at the galley table with her head in her hands. "On the hoof?" "Salt and barrels?" None of it made a great deal of sense.

There was one phrase, however, which she had heard with clarity. None of the supplies could be taken into the Second Age. Child remembered screaming and yelling at Bird for several moments about this whole affair and her lack of responsibility. The shapechanger had looked at her with hurt in her eyes, and then gone back into the water.

Child growled unrepentent and pounded on the table. What possible good were these provisions? She had to feed hobbits who were to be picked up in the Second Age, taken back for a bit to the Fourth Age, and then returned to an island in the Second Age. Finally, some of them were to stay at the island, while a large number were to be redeposited back in the Third Age. Her head felt giddy from simply reciting the instructions.

And how was she to deal with supplies that could only be stored in salt water? For one instant, Child had a terrible image of herself coming before Tule and trying to explain this mess. Her relations with the Elf had improved somewhat, but Child still did not feel totally comfortable with him. And, after the events of the evening before, she was not inclined to go pound on his cabin and broach the topic. There was a wall there that she could not break through.

Outside, in the waters, the carnival continued non-stop. Bird was diving in and out of the waves, seemingly oblivious to Child's anger or her cries for help. The hobbit shook her head in frustration. Her own people were certainly known for their lively ways and love of parties. But, next to the shapechanger and the mer-folk, even the hobbits seemed like a relatively sober and serious lot.

Child had carefully studied the History of the Shapechangers. For one fleeting instant, she wished Bird had been one of those Beornings who were skilled in changing skins. They seemed like a practical people who would never bring back an entire herd of sea-cows! She even thought of going out on deck and telling the whole crew to go back home and take their presents with them.

But none of this would do. Telling a free shapechanger she should become like the Beornings was regarded as the supreme insult. And Child didn't think the Mer-children would take her rejection of their gift any better. Levanto was a friend, and they needed his help with the rescue of the hobbits. Why should he be expected to understand the intricacies of food preparation on ships and dry land?

If only, Child thought. If only, things were different. If only Gondolin had never happened......but if onlys changed nothing.

And then it hit her. So much of life was like that. There was no one big answer to make things fall in place. Only the little ones you could tweak here and there to try and pull matters into a little better shape. And that is what she should be doing instead of sitting here and brooding. Child suddenly felt ashamed that she had lost her temper so throughly with Bird who had only been trying to help. She remembered seeing Bird come in from the waters and head down into the hull of the ship. Child got up from the table and went to search for her friend. But before she descended the ladder to go to the lower deck, she went and searched out Kali and asked him to come with her.

Bird's post

Bird had found the deepest, darkest hold of the Lonely Star, the place where tackle, old bits of rope, and worn-out barrels were stowed in case there should ever be further need of them.

There she sobbed her eyes out. Everything had gone so very, very wrong! She had thought that she could help in some way with the rescue of he Hobbits, whom she knew vaguely were out there, somewhere, waiting for the help of those on the Lonely Star.

But Birdie knew nothing - nothing - about the Age that they were all being taken to. She had trusted to Child and Mithadan, more learned minds than her, to direct her in some way. And when Child had asked for help with the food gathering, Bird thought she would finally be able to contribute to the quest to help Kali's ancestors.

And she had gotten it all wrong, of course. And Child was so angry at her! How was she to know that the Mer-folk only gathered live food? It had never occurred to her that people under the sea would have no need - or way - to preserve food. Cooking, drying, salting, pickling; all the normal ways of conserving rations for future use on land, were not only unknown to the Mer-Folk - they were impossible!

"Think, Birdie. Think!" she wept, smacking her forehead until the skin turned red. But it was no use. Sh had felt so useless and confused since Pio had died. Pio would have known what to do. All the grief and loss Birdie had felt since she had lost her friend, and had tried to keep bottled up with clowning and drinking, came pouring out.

The Changeling knew that this was not the time or place for such maudlin grief. Kali was counting on them all. But she couldn't help herself. Part of her just wanted to moph into dolphin form and swim away from all of this, leave behind all the disappointment in herself, and the disappointment of her friends. The only thing that kept her here was the thought that Pio would never forgive her for running out.

"Oh, Pio! I wish you were here, now. I wish you had never seen Gondolin. Why did you have to die?" Birdie buried her head in her knees, sobbing uncontrollably. She felt that her heart would break.

Child came bounding down the ladder. They had already searched two of the lower decks with no luck. Now they had reached the bowels of the ship. Child did not have to wait long before finding Bird. The sound of muffled crying came from underneath a tarp over in the corner. She cautioned Kali to stay behind a moment and went over to her friend.

"Bird, I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have done that. I asked you to bring food here, and that's exactly what you did." Her hand reached over to to touch her friend's trembling shape.

Bird sat up with red eyes and a smeared face. She stuttered out, "I, I, didn't mean to. I didn't know. I guess I didn't think."

Child retorted, "No, you did exactly what I asked you to do, no more or less. If I'd wanted you to do something else, I should have said so. I'm the one who made a mess of this."

"Then, what are we going to do?" Bird had stopped crying and looked concerned. She stared down at the floor and sighed, "If Pio were here, she could fix this. Maybe she'd know how to put the food in a special place where she could stop time, or perhaps she'd make the chamber very cold. I remember keeping things like that one time in a snowbank."

Child shook her head, "Yes, Pio might have known how to do that, but I don't. So we'll have to try the best we can. Neither of us are Elves. Yet our people manage to get by. They do a little of this and a little of that, and sometimes things get fixed. That's what we'll have to do here as well."

"Kali's come up with quite a list, since he knows more than I do about preserving foods from the sea. He says we can keep some of the fish in salt-water vats, and try to dry out the rest, or even cook some of it that we'll eat in the next few days."

"Kali says there's a big tub on this lower deck that Men once used to squash grapes into wine. It's big enough that we could temporarily house two or three sea-cows here. That should be enough so the children will have some milk."

"And, best of all, Kali's folk learned how to use some sea-plants themselves to wrap food inside and preserve it. This won't work for everything, but he's certain we'll be able to save a good part of it. And that should help us get through."

She deignated Bird and Kali to be in charge of this new task, and to get Rose and Daisy to help out, or even some of Levanto's folks to go look for these magic sea-plants. As Child climbed up the ladder, she could hear Bird and Kali busily laying out their plans.

---------------------------------------------

Helen's posts

Gamba's Journal On My Very Own Vellum, Written While Imprisoned in the Tombs of Numenor

3319, Second Age, Day # 7

I had another terrible dream last night. I dreamed that down by the waters' edge the children were playing, and then something came to the surface and spoke to them, and they ran to the elders; and then the water came up into the caves and drowned everybody. I told my dream to the Loremaster and he frowned, and went away.

In the house of Lady Idril
And for Gondolin she fell,
Valiant Pio, Brave Pio,
Lady Piosenniel.

3319, Second Age, Day #8

More bad dreams. I dreamed that the new god in the temple at the top of Meneltarma came and took us away one by one and whoever was taken away was never seen again. I liked Eru better.

Loremaster says that the elders want to see me about my dream. Now I'm really scared.

Levanto, Levanto,
Silly Sorry Merman He
Pursuing Piosenniel
Away across the sea.

3319, Second Age, Day # 9

The elders asked me about my dream, and I told them about both of them. They didn't tell me I was being silly. They told me not to be afraid and they said if I remembered any more dreams I should tell the Loremaster.

Tonight Phura says he'll sing this over me to help me fall asleep. Loremaster calls it "Maura's Longing." It sounds like a love song to me, but Loremaster insists it's a lullabye, I don't know why. And I don't know why the last verse has only two lines. Loremaster says I ask too many questions sometimes.

Where the depths the sun is drinking
Wild the waves with wind are dancing
Deeply there the tide is pulling
Let it pull your heart to me.

Where the sun gives green and flowers
Where the clouds give silver showers
Where the wind shows all her power
Let her blow your heart to me.

Far above a star is shining
And the lovely moon is roaming
There the path of stars is glowing
Tread that path and come to me.

Through the tide, the storm, the sky,
Oh, fly, my love, and come to me.

3319, Second Age, Day #10

Phura told me a secret today. But Loremaster might read this so I can't write it down.

Last night I didn't have any dreams that I can remember, except I dreamed of a sad lady chasing crawling babies and taking care of little children in a messy little garden by a ruined building. One of the babies was eating dirt. I guess all babies do that. I think it's disgusting. At least they had a garden with growing things in it. I could see the sunshine.

Pure and pristine, wafting whiteness
softly spirals, gently groundward.
Spreading silence, shining stillness
All enlightening, all embracing.

Buries barrow; softens sorrow
Ladros's lament lifting lightly.
Finrod's freely given gifting
Men and hobbits homely housing.

Andreth and Adanel, All Lore
House of Hador, men reminding;
Tuk the teacher, Hobbits helping;
Faith refinding, Ancalimon.

What a hard poem. I don't like these alliterative ones. I'll finish it tomorrow.

3319, Second Age, Day #11

Loremaster laughed at me and told me that Phura told him the secret too. So I guess it wasn't such a big secret after all. Anyway, Phura said that he thinks that Enta's cousin Azra is really pretty. Well, she is, but she sure is sassy too. I would never picture quiet Phura with sassy Azra. But what do I know. Phura won't be of age for another twelve years anyway. Loremaster told us both that a lot can change in twelve years, so it doesn't matter much. I think her sister Nitir is prettier anyway, and nicer. But then I won't be of age for another seventeen years. Phura, when you read this, don't laugh.

I asked Loremaster why Azra and Nitir have so many relatives named Azra and Nitir. All the lasses and ladies in that whole branch of the family seem to be named Azra or Nitir. I wonder how they tell the aunts from the neices. Loremaster said that ages ago Maura Tuk decreed that one Tuk family branch would forever maintain the names Azra and Nitir, and if that family died off for some reason then the nearest branch must resume the tradition. I asked him why. He said only the elders know, and the members of that family, and it is some big secret. But Phura seems to know what it is, and Loremaster kept hushing him, and Phura looked mad. So Phura knows too. But they won't tell me.

In the meantime, who would have guessed that Old Loremaster Lindo wrote both a lullabye for Azra and a lullabye for Nitir, which of course we get to learn now. And wouldn't you know it, I'm falling behind. This Snowbattle Of Ladros song is too hard, I think. But Phura, of course, has it all memorised already including the two new lullabyes. Showoff.

I dreamed that there was a really big storm out to sea, and a bunch of white ships came to us, I guess because of the storm. They were really pretty ships. But the storm took them out to sea again. Loremaster looked very sad when I told him that, and went off again. I wonder if he'll talk to the elders. I asked Phura whether he has any dreams, and he said no, none, except for one that he has over and over again. But he wouldn't tell me what it was.

Snowballs shaping, Workhouse wooden
doorway darkening, sneakily slushing
Breeches backside. Wrathful watcher
outraged rushes, snowballs shaping.

Stern Snowhobbits, circling suddenly,
Icy arrows Lindo lashing.
Tem and Tocca, Retya, Tarka,
Paura, Munda, Med and Westa,

Furra, Hara, Kesha, Asta,
Temba wild and daring Gamba
Dancing, dashing, dodging, daunting,
Castoff caution, hurling handfuls.

Long did Lindo fend off offense.
Retya rallied stern Snowhobbits,
taunting, tackling, climbing, capturing,
Fiery fourteen felled Lindo.

Phew. Now if only I could memorize it. What a wretchedly impossible poem. Its only redeeming feature is that there is a Snowhobbit named Gamba, like me, and he is called daring. I wonder if anybody would call me that. I wish loremasters would write only normal poems and not this alliterative nonsense. And I still have to do the two lullabyes. Thanks, Phura.

3319, Second Age, Day #12

I wish I knew why we were suddenly on this big Ladros review, and the settling of Dorthonion. Loremaster Lindo's songs aren't any better than any of the other old loremasters, and why he wrote so many lullabyes I don't know, but they are getting annoying. Loremaster says its because my dreams were about Ladros and the elders thought it would be wise to review the songs from that time. I wish I'd kept my mouth shut. And I don't see what half of my dreams had to do with Ladros. I didn't have one single dream about a snowball fight.

Azra's Lullabye

Stars above are softly shining,
Wind and waves my ship are rocking,
I my love for you am singing,
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

Though our days we live in thralldom,
Deep inside your soul lives freedom.
Dream of shining elvish kingdoms!
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

Watch and wait, always remember,
Never to despair surrender,
Hope will find you, hope remembers,
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

Far away wild gulls are wailing,
Far away fond hearts are waiting,
Far away proud ships are sailing,
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

3319, Second Age, Day# 13

Loremaster says I shouldn't be using my journal to just complain about everything. Well, all right then. Fine.

Nitir's Lullabye

Curls across your pillow lying,
Shining curls my heart entwining.
Dreamy smile, my heart beguiling
Dream, dear heart, sweet dreams.

Tears across your pillow lying
Shining tears, Nienna sighing.
Tracks of tears with time are drying,

Hope across your future lying
Bright hope, Ancalimon finding,
Dreamy hope, God's heart beguiling,

Love across your spirit lying
Shining love, my heart entwining
Dreamy love, my heart beguiling,
Dream, my heart, sweet dreams.

Well, I wonder what she had to be so sappy about. Loremaster says I have to learn about Nienna and Ancalimon now. Of course, Phura already knows.

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-05-2002, 02:12 PM   #698
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

With a mind to watch the stars away from the ongoing bustle of the ship Rose silently climbed to the crowsnest. To her suprise there was already someone there. Mitadan. He looked to be out of breath and his face was covered in persperation.

"Mithadan. Are you alright?"
Old 09-05-2002, 03:14 PM   #699
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Gingerly pulling himself up from the deck, Mithadan smiled weakly at Rose. He shook his head and stood carefully, straightening his rumpled clothes as he climbed to his feet. He looked to the West briefly, then turned back to the young Hobbit. "I'm well, Rose, thank you," he replied. "I had... an errand up here, but I'm done now."

He gratefully accepted Rose's assistance as he climbed from the crowsnest to the deck. In the water, he heard the Mer-Folk cavorting about. He looked forward and noticed that Angara was now awake and examining him closely with golden eyes. "I see your lessons were worthwhile, Mithadan. But after a bit, your mind leaked like a sieve. Well done, nonetheless." Mithadan nodded wearily without replying.

He turned towards the gangway only to find Tule rushing up to the deck. "You fool," he cried angrily. "You could have died! Worse, your fea may have been injured or destroyed! Why did you risk this?"

Mithadan smiled at Tule, then turned to Rose who stood open-mouthed in shock at the Elf's words. "Could you excuse us for a moment, Rose?" He waited while the Hobbit reluctantly walked to the stern of the Lonely Star. Then he gently pulled Tule aside and leaned on the rail.

"One turn deserves another, they say," he commented quietly. Tule's face turned red and he opened his mouth as if to shout again at the man. Mithadan spoke before the Elf could begin. "Quiet now," he said softly. "I have a splitting headache." He took a deep breath and looked up at the stars. Tule thought he perceived a new light in the Man's eyes.

"We were lost," he resumed. "We have floundered here for days, fighting, arguing and going off on our own without thought for each other; and you are not the only one Tule. We were no longer acting together or even as friends. The events of the past few weeks have shattered us to the point where we could no longer even work together, and in the endeavor that we undertake, that means death, not only to us but also to the Hobbits and maybe Middle Earth."

He took a deep breath before going on and watched Tule's face seeing reluctant agreement there. "I am a ship's captain. Its my role in life. And whether or not I command this vessel, I nonetheless feel responsible for all aboard. I could not let this continue. So, yes, I risked myself, and say not that I knew nothing of what I did. I know only too well the lessons of Numenor. I looked for help, inspiration, advice, for it was needed, and I proved up to the task. As we were functioning, my loss would have had little effect. Perhaps it would have woken everyone from whatever spell has taken us all."

He paused again, looking at Tule for disagreement, but the Elf remained silent. "And I found what I looked for," he continued. "Not in Avallone or Valinor, but right here. We need ourselves. We need each other, with all our petty disagreements and differences. And Tule, we do not need you..." He looked the Elf straight in the eyes without wavering and reached out a hand to his shoulder. "We do not need Tule, but we do need Piosenniel. May we have her back now? Please?"
Old 09-05-2002, 03:23 PM   #700
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'You don't know what you ask, Mithadan.' came the quiet, breaking voice of the elf. 'You tear me in two. And I cannot think how I might answer you.'

She sighed, and gently traced the contour of his cheek from eye to jaw with the tips of her fingers. I only meant to see you all safely through this last task, and then be gone again, unknown, leaving no sorrow behind at my going, but only the joy of a thing well done.

Tears welled in her eyes as she turned from him and leaned against the railing. They spilled unheeded down her cheeks, to mingle in the waves. She trembled though the night was still and no breeze troubled the waters.

She bade him leave her for a while, that she might think. He placed his cloak about her shoulders to keep her from the cold and went below. Pulling it close about her, she walked aft and sat cross-legged on the bow.

A familiar presence touched her mind gently.What will you do now, Elf?

I do not know. Mithadan has slain Tulė. And the Pio they grieve for has spent a lifetime now in Valinor and is changed. Who will answer his request?

She gazed out over the sea, and saw bright Eärendil hanging low above the western horizon.

The dragon crept closer and placed her head on Pio's leg. Looking up, she followed the line of the elf's gaze.There is longing in your heart now for the West.

Yes, it pulls me strongly now. I cannot deny that.

Yet, here you are, on this ship, at this time, in the midst of those who love you.

Yes, here I am, indeed. She pulled the wyrm onto her lap and settled her in.

Hush now, Old One! she crooned, rubbing the top of the dragon's skull in a gentle rhythm. I need to think, and clearly.

[ September 06, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-05-2002, 03:30 PM   #701
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It was not possible to ignore the troubled scene spinning itself out on the deck of the Star. Rose and Daisy stood near with eyes full of wonder, only partially comprehending what had occurred. Child gently touched Rose's shoulder. She asked her to pull back, to hold onto her questions until the tangled threads of fate could fall into a design.

Child herself had never understood Elves, even her friend Piosenniel. Yet, for the first time, she sensed the differences between them were not as great as she'd thought them to be.

At the moment a mortal drew breath, the knowledge came from deep within that someday the change would come. No kuduk or human, however wise or great, could escape the hidden destiny that lay somewhere beyond. Even her own kin, who were so good at forgetting their past, could not deny this fate.

Yet Child had imagined Elves to be different. Their lives were bound in memory. They glimpsed at least a bit of what lay ahead. And, within their golden fingers, they seemed to possess some magic which could hold back time and change.

But she had been wrong. For this was not the case. Even Pio, with all her seeming brashness, had spent hours on the Star gazing at the heavens, reluctantly turning towards the West.

And finally, for her friend, the great change had come. Child could never comprehend what had happened in the halls of Mandos or within Valinor itself. She knew their friendship would be forever changed, perhaps even gone. But, as small as she was, she had learned that such things must be accepted. There was no other way.

As Child gazed over at Piosenniel, she perceived a being both familiar and different than the one she had known before. And in a strange instant of recognition, she saw the Elf's body changing. No carnate being stood before her. Instead, a small cocoon with a creature of spirit struggled to emerge. A beautiful butterfly hovered, her wings still damp and her path of flight uncertain.

Child's thoughts spilled out and sped across the wooden boards to where the Elf sat. She had no words for the feelings in her heart. But the image of a butterfly, with its quivering wings, slipped under the consciousness of her friend. Then Child clumsily whispered what little solace she could bring.

We love you. Whatever you decide, whatever is right, we will accept. We can see the difference in your face. You have changed, and there is no pretending that things remain the same. For what lies before us is a miracle. Spread your wings. Do not fear. For, whatever your choice, our crew will go forward with this thing, and do what has to be done. And whoever you are, strange Elf, we love you very much.

Child turned and slowly walked away. She did not return to her cabin, but immediately went to the galley and began sorting through the gifts of the Mer-folk which her people would need.

[ September 06, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-06-2002, 05:19 AM   #702
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: Did I miss somthing? So was Tule Pio? Or...I'm lost. I'll just sit her politely at the stern untill someone feels like Rose is mature enough to know what's going on.::

Rose leaned on the rail and rested her head on her hands. All her grief and joy of the last few days had become confusiton. There was somthing going on but it was all above her. She tried to think of what Pio would have done if she was here. Rose would have probably gone to her and asked questions. And Pio would have kept it a mystery. She would give Rose a little clue then go on with her buisness.

Rose looked at the stars. She wondered if Pio could see those stars from wherever her spirit lie.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:17 AM   #703
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

OUT OF CHARACTER:

Because of Mith and Pio's very classy revelation, we've had to shift around and edit a few of the posts.

Bird--please go ahead and take out the duplicate grieving post.

Everyone---please go back to the thread of 9/5/02 at 1:54 p.m.and then read forward. A number of things have been changed and inserted to make the chronology and tone flow more smoothly and build things up to Pio's revelation. I have also inserted a new post immediately following Pio's revelation.

Helen and I are still putting in her posts of Gamba's diary. When these are done, we'll give you a complete list of where they are on the discussion thread. Also, she'll be shifting some of the posts so that the Piosenniel poems come right before Pio's revelation.

LOL. Rest of crew scrambles to catch-up with Pio and Mith.

sharon

[ September 06, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-06-2002, 01:53 PM   #704
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

It was nearly dawn. Mithadan rested in his bunk, but though he was weary as he had never been before, sleep would not come to him. He avoided thought of his vision of the Lonely Isle and Valinor beyond; he would have ample time to review that memory. Instead, he dwelt upon the figure of the Elf above-decks, wrestling with her own desires and motives. He had no doubt that his actions had been the right ones, for the crew and for himself at any rate. But were they correct for Piosenniel? He was not certain what was right for her and doubted that she herself knew. But he was used to making decisions for others and, in this regard, knew two things: the safety and security of the crew were paramount; and once a decision was made it could not be unmade. This did not assuage his feelings of guilt for what he had done and sympathy for Piosenniel.

He understood why Piosenniel had taken the guise of Tule. She had wished anonymity; to be able to aid her friends in their task, then depart without sorrowful farewells. He had stripped her of that anonymity, yet he knew it was a fiction. While the crew might not miss Tule (some may have been glad to bid him farewell), Tule could not pretend that he was not Piosenniel to himself; she alone would have suffered upon her departure. More selflessness. Piosenniel seemed to have no end of that virtue.

She had returned to Middle Earth nearly 2000 years into the Second Age. How long had she resided in the Halls of Mandos? Not long if the stories told of the fates of Elven heroes were true. Yet "not long" held an entirely different meaning for Men and Elves. Nonetheless he had no doubt that she had dwelt for many lives of Men in Valinor before returning to the Mortal Lands. And why had she done so? At the request of Ancalimon? Or to help Kali and her friends? More selflessness? Or perhaps not. Perhaps she had also merely wished to see her friends once more before continuing he endless sojourn in the Undying Lands. Mithadan now more clearly understood the depth of Pio's confusion and dismay.

But there was nothing he could do to help her...except... "Pio, I'm sorry."

[ September 06, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 09-06-2002, 02:42 PM   #705
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

That silvered, nascent inch of day had come. The moon had set and the sun not yet risen; stars paled in the softly rising light and blinked out.

She gathered the minds of the companions to her. Most still turned in fretful dreamings, and to these she sent out a soothing murmur that blew away the darkling mists.

She heard the whisper of the Man's mind and it's sorrow. Sleep, now. she sent to him. There will be need for a clear mind, undulled by weariness, this day. I will stand watch for now.

Gently laying the sleeping dragon to one side, she stood and stretched, and faced the West. Regrets and doubts were put aside; memories locked within the silvered light of her eyes.

Bowing once, with hand to heart, she turned and went below to begin the day.

[ September 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-07-2002, 12:30 PM   #706
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child had been up and about in the galley for a good portion of the night. Now she sat surrounded by pots of fish and sea-plants which she was supposed to turn into a stew. The seafood, however, was totally unknown to her. Some of the fish were brightly colored and had tubes sticking out from their heads. Child couldn't even find their eyes. These were certainly different from the perch and trout she had eaten back home.

The plants themselves were equally fantastic. Some had beautiful flowers, or looked a bit like vegetables she already knew. Child was quite curious as to what sort of dinner all this would make. But Bird had reassured her the food would be tasty, so she hoped it would come out alright.

In typical fashion, however, she had managed to get sidetracked. Instead of cooking the fish and plants, she was carefully studying them, sorting them into piles according to their type. When she was younger, she used to do this in her parents' small burrow with foodstuffs she had gathered from the wild. Child remembered them coming in and scratching their heads as to why dinner had not yet been prepared. Her mother was quite indulgent, but sometimes despaired that Child would ever find a hobbit who'd want a wife who would study his dinner rather than cooking it.

Child looked up from her piles of fish, and saw Piosenniel standing near the door of the galley. She wasn't sure how long she'd been there. The Elf had an impish look upon her face. Then she shook her head and laughed. "I go away for a bit, and the dinner service deteriorates! I'll have to get my hands in this galley again, and start turning things right. And my first order to you," she said pointing at the hobbit, "is to go back to your cabin and get some sleep. The last time I heard, hobbits still need to sleep at night. Put your pots on the stove to simmer, and I'll make sure the fire burns down in a few hours, since I'll be keeping watch on deck."

Child backed away from Piosenniel. She was even afraid to reach out and touch her. Perhaps, she was like Nienna who'd visited in her dreams. Maybe this was a dream too. Sh might turn around and then the Elf would suddenly vanish.

Pio looked at her nervos friend and laughed in a solid, comforttng way, "I'm real Child, and I am back, at least for now. It seems we've both got some unfinished business that needs doing."

Pio helped her put the fish and sea-plants in the pots and shift them onto the fire. Then she turned to Child and quietly said, "It's been hard for you. Hasn't it? Leaving Tol Fuin, and what you had there." She reached out her hand to examine the small green stone that hung about her friend's neck. "It looks as if you and I have something in common. Someimes you have to put aside what you want and just do what has to be done."

Child looked at the Elf in surprise. How could her friend know all this? But when she asked her, Pio simply tilted her head back and looked mysterious, her brown curls bouncing and eyes sparkling with light.

Then Child leaned over and whispered in her friend's ear, "We're really glad you're here. Tule was....." Child searched for the right words. She didn't want to hurt Pio's feelings. "Tule was interesting, but I found it a little hard to talk to him."

Pio looked back at her and said with a totally straight face, "To tell the truth, so did I."

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-07-2002, 12:43 PM   #707
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The elf saw Child off to her cabin and to bed. Then, walking quietly, she passed the rooms wherein her other companions slept. Soft snores could now be heard coming from Mithadan's room. She lightly pushed his door open and covered him with his cloak. Then, as quietly, she exited the room, and shut the door.

In her old room, where Daisy lay deep asleep, hugging a crumpled pillow, she pulled a few articles of clothing from the bag on her old bed. A worn pair of soft leggings tucked into road-worn, knee-high boots, and a comfortable shirt, bound at the waist by a belt were pulled on quickly. Into the boots she tucked her smaller knives; one larger one she secured in her belt.

She pulled a wayward quilt over the sleeping hobbit and went on down the hall to the room of her old friend.

Bird lay curled tightly in her bed, uncovered. The bedclothes and pillows had gone a round or two with her, it seemed, and now lay strewn about on the floor like vanquished foe.

Pio perched lightly on the footboard of the bed and regarded the sleeping woman fondly. Then grinning broadly, she nudged her with the toe of her boot.

'So, here lies the fierce dragon I have heard so much about! Looks more like some old flotsam to these eyes!'

She nudged her one more time.

[ September 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-07-2002, 01:51 PM   #708
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie had had a hard day. Hardest was explaining to Levanto, who then had to explain to his kin, just exactly what was to be done to the food stocks that the Mer-Folk had so generously given them.

Dead silence had followed the announcement. Some of the Mer-Folk could not hide the expressions of disbelief and disgust as the process of food preservation was explained to them. One poor Mer-Girl had actually retched at the thought of drying dead fish in the sun, and then eating it.

But in the end, the Mer-Folk shugged and cooperated as well as they could. Brightly colored seaweed bladders were attached to many of the fish cages, which were secured to the bottom, so they might be found again when the ship returned to the Fourth Age. Pounds and pounds of fish were brought aboard and split to dry on hastly-built racks, or set to smoke in a primitive smoke tent. Kali's seaweed was gathered and used, hopefully to good effect. And the vat which was to be the temporary home for the sea-cows had been scrubbed and checked for leaks.

It had been an exhausting day, but Birdie had done her best, with the help of Kali and Levanto, and had finally thrown herself into the bed to grab what few hours of sleep she could, before starting the whole process over again in the morning.

And now someone was nudging her foot! It couldn't be morning already! The skin-changer kicked irritably, and rolled over, covering her head with the pillow.

The nudge came again, harder this time, and someone said "So, here lies the fierce dragon I have heard so much about! Looks more like some old flotsam to these eyes!"

Bird rolled over, ready to curse whoever disturbed her rest. Opening bleary eyes, she saw the face of Pio floating but a foot in front of her.

"AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!" A blood-curdling scream echoed through the entire ship as the skin-changer jumped a foot from the bed and scrambled desperately back into the bulkhead.

"AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

[ September 07, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 09-07-2002, 02:08 PM   #709
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Quiet you wretched skin-changer!' cried Pio, throwing a pillow at the hysterical woman. 'You're screaming loud enough to wake the dead!'

The incongruity of her being there coupled with those last words hit both of them at the same time.

Pio fell of the footboard, laughing hard at her joke.

Bird's screaming stopped abruptly and she looked at the hysterical apparition now convulsed on her rug.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:27 PM   #710
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Oh, this was just too much! First a ghost had appeared in Bird's cabin, and now it had insulted her...and thown a pillow at her!

Birdie crouched at the head of the bed, white-faced and shaking, as the "ghost" rolled on the floor in a fit of hysterical laughter.

Slowly, the changling crawled forward, and grasping a fishing pole leaning by the bed, extended it as far as she could and poked at the mirthful "spirit". It bent! Bird dropped the pole and retreated back to the bulkhead.

Pio? You're...alive?" Then she fainted.

[ September 07, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 09-07-2002, 03:06 PM   #711
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose heard Birdie's scream, rushed into her cabin and triped over Pio who was still on the floor. As she got up the first thing she saw was Birdie's limp body. Then she saw Pio sitting there looking at her. "Hello Rose."

For a spit second Rose sat staring at the elf. Then her face broke into a huge smile and she threw her arms around her friend. "Pio! I missed you!" said Rose sobbing into Pio's side.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:21 AM   #712
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The elf gave Rose a hug, then held her at arms length. She wiped the tears from her friend's face and drew a smile from her with a smile of her own.

'Come, help me Rose.' she said, getting to her feet. She placed a pillow beneath Bird's head and pulled one of the blankets from the floor over her. 'She'll wake soon enough and find us. Now let's go wake Daisy and see about a breakfast for the crew. We have one or two areas of our plan to review and put in place today. Tomorrow, then, we are bound for Nśmenor.'

They closed the door to Bird's room as they left and went quietly down the hall to Daisy's.

'Let me wake her, Rose.' whispered Pio, as she stepped into the room. 'Will you go up to the galley and start the water for tea and coffee, and we will be up directly.'

She sat on the edge of the hobbit's bed for a moment, watching dreams flutter behind her eyelids. Pushing a stray curl from the girl's cheek, she bent close and whispered softly, 'Daisy, wake up! The sun is up and there are things to be done today.'

Daisy stretched sleepily, throwing her arms wide, eyes still closed, then smiled and peeked at the face smiling back at her. She threw her arms about the elf's neck, surprising her into laughter.

'I thought it was a dream earlier! That you had come into the room as you always had to change into working clothes, that you had covered me up as you sometimes did. But now I see it was no dream.' She hugged her friend once more, 'I hoped you would find your way back somehow - and now you have.'

Pio laughed, 'Yes, I'm here. Now please get up and dress quickly. Rose and you and I will make breakfast for the crew and then we will be on our way.'

Daisy threw on her clothes and hurried down the gangplank with Pio to the galley.

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-08-2002, 12:27 PM   #713
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dūm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Khelek studied the stars carefully. The Sickle hung low. A few beams of pale light that announced the Sun could be seen in the east. But the Elf's eyes strayed ever to the West. He wasn't in his cabin, either out of pride or in hope to see a sign that would help him. Perhaps both. An unexpected sound made the Elf jump back from his musings, and he turned.

"Poisenniel," he said simply. How long had it been since he had seen her? Several weeks? Months? Nay, Ages ago. It seemed like a long time. How strange. Seasons passed like fleeting seconds, and yet here he was saying that it seemed like a long time.
Old 09-08-2002, 01:43 PM   #714
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie came to laying on her bed with a blanket thrown over her. She sat up abruptly as the memory of what had happened came flooding back to her.

It wasn't a dream. Pio had been standing right there in the room! She had spoke. She had laughed. Bird had felt her! (Well, the fishing pole had felt her. But ghosts didn't bend fishing poles when you poke them!)

But where was she now? Had she gone away again? Had Bird missed her chance to see her friend and speak with her one more time?

Birdie went running out of her cabin in her shift, crying "Pio! Pio! Oh, where are you? I'm sorry! Please don't be gone again!"

She found her in galley, brewing coffee and helping Daisy and Rose fix breakfast, as if all the horrible events of the last days had never happened.

"Pio! Oh Pio, It's true! You are back!" Bird ran forward and hugged her friend as if she would never let her go.

But then suddenly, she pushed Pio back, stamping her foot and slapping the elf hard on the arm. "What is wrong with you? Why do you do things like that!" Then she hugged Pio again, shaking her head and saying "Elves! I'll never understand Elves!"

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 09-08-2002, 03:45 PM   #715
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose bussled about making breakfast in a very good mood. She didn't think she'd ever stop smiling. They crew was being brought back together by Pio's apperance.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:34 PM   #716
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio rubbed her arm where Bird had slapped her. 'By the One Bird, I'm glad I'm not someone you don't like - my arm has gone numb!' She grinned and flexed her fingers for effect. 'And as to your question - "Thus spoke Mandos: Elf, this is thy doom - It is the duty of the First Born to ever mystify and irritate the lesser born!"' She ducked as she saw Bird come at her, but it was only another hug, which she returned in kind.

'Come help us get the food ready, Bird. You can slice some searooms and we'll have them and some of the sea herbs scarambled with eggs. Daisy, you get a dozen or so guillemot eggs from the hold and beat then frothy with some of the seacow milk. Rose you get the skillet ready and toast some bread.' She made a mug of tea and walked toward the door of the galley. 'Wake the others when all is ready - Veritas, Child, Kali, and Mithadan. I have two more things I must take care of. Please don't wait breakfast on me. I do not know how long it will take.'

Daisy's face clouded up and Rose opened her mouth in protest. She stayed them with a look. 'This is something private. I will come back.'

She strode out the door and up to the deck. He stood there looking toward the West, the longing cries of seabirds echoing the ever present longing in his heart. She came quietly and stood behind him.

'Your tea, Khelek. And lightly made.' He turned, and regarded her with cool eyes, cool now where just a fleeting moment before she had seen the bright spark of yearning.

She held the mug out to him. As his fingers grazed hers in the taking of it, she sent him a vivid memory of the light and music of Aman. 'Drink, young one.' she said curving his hands firmly around the mug. 'Then come to breakfast. There are still some things to be put in place before we go to Nśmenor.'

His eyes followed her as she walked to the railing and stripped down to her small clothes.

She leapt from the railing, and the waves rose up to meet her.

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-08-2002, 07:22 PM   #717
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child had slept but a few hours the night before. She was, however, not about to pull up the covers and dream the morning away. There was too much to be done, and too many reasons she should be up and about.

She bounced into her clothes, and made her way towards the galley. Rose and Daisy were laughing and preparing the morning meal. They were chatting about this and that, their faces wreathed in sunny smiles. One would break out with, "Did you see her face, how it shines with the light?" while the other would point to her joking and excellent good humor.

The last point struck Child vividly. She could remember night after night when Piosenniel sat on the Star, deep in sadness and thought. Child sensed a bit of that sadness still underneath, but beside it stood an enormous reservoir of laughter and caring which had never been so evident before. Like Child, Piosenniel had seen her share of sad times. Child wondered if she could ever manage to create her own balance in life like that, or if such grace was granted only to Elves on leave from Aman.

As Pio had promised, the fish stew was properly simmered and waiting for lunch. Child dipped a spoon into the broth, and then tasted. Whether it was Pio's gentle hand on the pot or the bounty of the Mer-folk, this dish seemed fit for a lord's table. She vowed to brag to Mithadan about her superior cooking efforts, something that Child was not generally well known for! Given the way things had gone this past day, she doubted he'd mind the teasing too much.

Rose and Daisy were trying to guess where the Elf might have gone on secret business. Child looked stern and lectured them on the need to let Piosenniel have some privacy in personal matters. The girls continued to bubble over with questions about the West, and what had happened to their friend after Gondolin. Child had to admit that she too was curious, but she repeatedly reminded them, and herself as well, that this was a private matter for Elves which Pio might or might not want to share. If Pio told any on board, Child suspected it might be Bird, since she was her oldest companion. But such thoughts and questions were only secondary to the overall joy of the day.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:16 PM   #718
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird leaned on the rail of "The Lonely Star" and looked out on a sea that seemed as fresh and new as a crystal spring. It seemed a new wind filled the sails of the ship, as she listened to Daisy and Rose laughing belowdecks.

When she had time to adjust to the situation, Bird had to admit that Pio's feat was not unprecedented. She had joined the ranks of Glorfindel and Mithrandir, the select fellowship of reincarnates. Of course, one had elected to remain on Middle Earth, the other to depart when his duties were finished. Bird chose not to think about which route Pio might take. Not now, anyway.

Pio had said nothing to her about her errand under the sea, but to Birdie, it was self-evident. The Changling hummed a tune to herself, a sad smile again playing over her face:

"Levanto, Levanto,
Silly, sorry Mer-Man, He…”

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 09-09-2002, 03:01 AM   #719
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was midway through breakfast when Pio reappeared. Everyone had gotten up and were well into their second helpings when she came in with her map case, borrowed from Veritas, and pulled a large map of Nśmenor from it. Tacking it to the wall, she took one of the clean forks and used it to point out various features concerning the Isle and their approach to it.

She outlined when and where they would position the Star, and went over the need for extreme caution during this period. Especially with respect to the climate of animosity which prevailed against the Valar, for their prohibition about sailing to the Undying Lands, and by extension toward the Elves who were allowed the privilege of sailing to the West. She showed them on the map where the large navy of Ar-Pharazōn would launch from, and told them that the Star must not come to the notice of any of this fleet.

Pio reminded them that Sauron would be in Nśmenor during their time there, and that it would be best to remain unnoticed by him or any of his minions. 'This will be a tightly orchestrated mission, with little room for error. So no "adventures" please.' she smiled as Rose and Daisy looked at each other guiltily.

'Finally, there will be some guards, I'm certain, left to watch over the prisoners.' she said, her face gone serious. 'So, there will most likely be the certainty of a skirmish with them to gain access to the caves. We should attempt to avoid this if we can, but be prepared to engage them if we cannot.'

'After breakfast is done, I would like to check with everyone about their parts to the preparation for going - Child, Bird, Daisy, Rose, and Kali I'd like to hear about your readiness as far as food and medical supplies, and if we'll need to transport anything with us that can't be stowed on the Star itself. Veritas, you and Khelek need to review the navigational maps and be ready to maneuver the ship into position once we arrive off the Isle's southern coast.'

'Mithadan, if you please, we need to finalize the date we shift to and when we should call the Telerin ships to come. Can we meet in Tulė's room? Most of my papers are there.'

She poured herself a mug of tea, sweetened it with honey, and sat down next to Rose. 'Does this all mean we're leaving for Nśmenor soon?' she asked the elf.

'Yes,' said Pio, taking a sip of tea. 'I would like to leave this evening if at all possible.'

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-09-2002, 04:47 AM   #720
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose felt a lump in her throat as Pio told her when they were to set off. Tonight! It was so soon. She knew she shouldn't be suprised but it still made her uneasy. Rose excused herself and went to sit in her room.