The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-28-2007, 04:59 AM   #1
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye Werewolf Four and Thirty: Bloodbath in the Anduin Vale

It was a time of terror in the Anduin vale.

For many weeks now, the villages of the Woodsmen who lived there had suffered terrible and bloody attacks at night. At first, the livestock had been taken. Sheep, cattle and pigs were found at first light, mutilated and half eaten. Then, when the villagers had set guards to protect their animals, the guards themselves had been set upon and none had survived. And it was not long before the unknown and unseen foes began to attack the villagers themselves. Occasionally, a wolf would be found dead amongst the bodies of those who sought to protect the villages. But still the attacks continued. In terror, the inhabitants of each village debated among themselves what should, or could, be done to resist this terrible evil which seemed to have befallen the land. But no single village, it seemed, could stand alone against the nightly attacks.

And so a message had been sent out to each village, proposing that a moot be held to decide what action the villages might take together to protect themselves. Each village was asked to send a delegate to the moot, which was to be held in the village of Woodgard, close to the south-western eaves of Mirkwood. The Woodsmen villagers had gladly agreed to this proposal, since concerted action against the nightly marauders seemed the only way to bring them to a halt. And so, within only a day or so of the message being sent out, delegates from each village began to arrive in Woodgard, only to find it deserted ...

Sign-up is open for Werewolf Four and Thirty: Bloodbath in the Anduin Vale.

Please post in the Admin thread to sign-up. This thread is closed to further posting until the game begins.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 05-28-2007 at 05:06 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye The slaughter begins ...

Those who arrived in Woodgard were surprised and fearful to find the village deserted. What had happened in this place? Where were the village’s inhabitants? Who had sent the summons, if not the people of Woodgard? What would await them upon their return to their villages? Rumour and speculation were rife, but none seemed to have any answers. Fearful of being murderously slain in the night, yet too tired from their travels to express more than half-formed thoughts, those present found what accommodation they could among the empty buildings and fell into a restless sleep, disturbed by nightmares of a strangely culinary and cacophonous nature.

By the first light of day, a gruesome discovery awaited those present. The Saucepan Man, an elder of the village of Farraway and noted chef, was discovered dead in one of the outlying huts. His pots and pans were scattered, and he had been torn limb from limb by cruel claws and sliced and diced by wicked fangs. Half of his bloodied corpse lay butchered on the table. The whereabouts of the other half was not immediately apparent, although a spicy ghoulash simmering in his largest pot on the rudimentary stove provided a grisly clue.

As the remaining delegates arrived in the village, it was agreed that the moot should nevertheless proceed as planned. All present filed in to the village’s council chamber. But the mystery surrounding the fate of Woodgard, fuelled by the terror which the most recent attack had inspired in every heart, meant that the proceedings soon descended into chaos. Try as they might, no one could bring order to the meeting, and every question raised provoked a confusion of voices, bewildered, angry and fearful.

But then, suddenly, the chamber fell quiet and all heads turned to the entrance, where a magnificent Golden Eagle, the size of a man, stood regarding the assembly with a quizzical eye. The crowd parted as the great bird hopped into the centre of the throng. Then, as the initial shock of the arrival subsided, hands reached for swords and axes were hefted. The people of the Anduin Vale were no friends of the great Eagles of the Misty Mountains, since the mighty birds preyed occasionally upon their herds, and many quickly concluded that the answer to their recent troubles was standing here before them.

But, before any present could move towards the avian apparition, the bird began to transform, and every hand froze once more. Gradually, the figure of the Eagle resolved itself into that of an old man, bearded and robed in brown.

Cries of recognition rang out.

“Radagast!”

“Yes,” replied the Wizard. “I am Radagast. But there is no time for introductions, for I have not long, and much to tell you. You have, I am sad to say, fallen into to a trap set by the minions of the Dark Lord, one which I only recognised as such myself late last night. It was by the will of Sauron that you were brought here. And those behind it are the very same fiends who are responsible for the attacks on your villages. They are some of his most terrible servants. Werewolves!”

Cries of fear and alarm.

“This village was the first to fall to them, and they are with us here now as we speak,” the Wizard continued. “By day, they walk among you unnoticed, yet by night they prowl unseen as fearsome beasts. The summons was sent to bring all of you, the strongest and wisest of your villages, here, so that they could murder you while you sleep and then plunder what remains of your villages with ease. They have waylaid some of the travellers on their journey here, and assumed their identities.”

As a multitude of questions rose up from the crowd, Radagast suddenly faltered and began to fade.

“My time is short!” he sternly declared above the chaotic voices. “A terrible enchantment has been wrought about this village. Its source is the Dark Tower of Dol Guldur, but more than that I cannot perceive. My appearance here is but a projection, and I cannot maintain it much longer, so you must all listen while I still have time. The enchantment is such that you will be unable to leave this place unless you kill those here who serve the Dark Lord of Mordor. It is they who provide the channel for his power.”

At this, a flurry of questions once more rang out.

“But how do we know who to kill?”

“How can we recognise the Wolves among us?”

“They dare not attack you by day, for your combined strength is too great for them while they walk in human form. But you cannot risk mass murder, for then you will fall prey to their wiles and your villages will be lost. So, you must choose each day one of your number to face death and continue doing so until you have found all of the murderous fiends. Some among you who are innocent will die at the hands of their companions, while others will be murdered by Wolfish claws by night, as The Saucepan Man was. But there is no other way. I cannot …”

Radagast’s image had all but disappeared and only a faint trace of him remained.

“I have done want I can to help you. My foresight allowed me to ensure that there are those among you who will be able to aid you in your endeavour. I am sorry I could not do more …”

And with that Radagast vanished completely.

The dead:

The Saucepan Man - Slaughtered and boiled up in a spicy ghoulash on Night zero.

The living:

Mormegil
Rikae - the naughty delegate from the village with the unlikely name of Castle Anthrax
Durelin - the Follywood delegate
Aganzir - the Dwarf delegate of a Woodsmen village
Gil-Galad
Shastanis Althreduin - the extremely detail-oriented centaur delegate from the Plains
Volo - the very hairy delegate from as far as it gets
Nogrod - the moody delegate from the Witch-burners' village who is ready and willing to form a theory to suit his feelings whatever the facts ...
Boromir88 - the filibuster delegate from Laketown, whose geography is not that good
Meneltarmacil - ye Olde Knighte delegate
The Sixth Wizard
Thinlómien - the Delegate of INSTRAW
Legate of Amon Lanc - the De-Legate of Amon Lanc
Kath
Isabellkya - the delegate from the village Kyaq
the guy who be short - the delegate from nearby Necropolis
xyzzy - the Kanudan representative
Mithalwen - the delegate of an anarco-sydicalist commune, taking her turn as a sort of executive officer for the week
Feanor of the Peredhil - the slightly offbeat delegate who offers controversial suggestions to the moot regardless of lycanthropic tendencies
Rune Son of Bjarne

Day 1 has now begun. Let the mooting (and the bloodbath) commence ...

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 06-01-2007 at 06:33 PM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Where is everyone? A death and a bunch of werewolves on our hands and no one wants to talk about it? How on earth are we going to find anything out that way!

And this really is a horrible situation. Is it just me or do we not know how many wolves are even out there?

Hope someone else turns up soon.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
xyzzy
Haunting Spirit

xyzzy is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
[Since I failed to say so in the thread, I'm the Kanudan representative...]

Hmm, this is certainly interesting. Werewolves, eh? Well, that's interesting. I suppose we should start casting suspicion on each other now. I think one of these Werewolves is this Kath fellow. First one to speak up is probably trying to sound like he really dislikes Werewolf survival.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
First one to speak up is probably trying to sound like he really dislikes Werewolf survival.
I be a she xyzzy. And indeed, I do dislike Werewolf survival. Or at least I was under the impression that that was the point of the game ... lynching them.

Ah but it is time for this delegate to get to bed, if one can sleep with all that's happened.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Make way, make way, I'm kinda big and it's awfully crowded in here. Hm. Werewolves, eh? We've seen their like, down on the Plains. Nasty creatures, strangely susceptible to silver.

Well. I'm going to see if I can't clean up that gruesome mess in the kitchen, it's driving me batty!
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ye Knighte Speaketh

Oh, deare. After all those wars to the southe where I served ye Stewarde as a Knighte, I retire up here only to finde a bunche of bloodthirsty Beastes!

Nowe, a Wolfe is a crafty creature. But some are more capable of hiding than others are. I say we force them oute into ye open ande get themme talking. A Wolfe can hide in a crowd and say little, but if forced to be loude, that same Wolfe may slippe.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
And how do you sugest that we force them to speak?

Surely you are not sugesting this without a plan. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Well, this reminds me of a case in our village back there...

We've dealt with witches basically... a bit at least... but who says it's not the same with werewolves? They're an eerie bunch of creatures both of them, aren't they? And dangerous...

So what do we do with witches is that we burn them because they're made of wood. And wood floats on water... as well as very small rocks or lead... or what would you think? Who of us might float? That's a witch I say! And then we just need to take scales and see if they weight as much as werewolves...

Or think about things that might disappear from the surface but then rise back yet again and again. S/he might have been the one who turned me into a newt... well, I got better. But anyhow...

Sorry to be this hasty at the moment but I need some serious sleep. I'll come back though and hope to find a bit more lively discussion then.

But this far I can only say, speak brothers and sisters... and speak wolves! That's the way we get to know you...

Although I would wish to make some very early notes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I think one of these Werewolves is this Kath fellow. First one to speak up is probably trying to sound like he really dislikes Werewolf survival.
And so Xyzzy waited to be the second one and thus being able to say that the first one is suspicious? Nice... but I think calling the first one the suspicious one is quite presumptious - or too safe. Make an appearance, make a visit from which you can say you did something? I can't say I trust the Kanudan right now too much.

And Shasta's appearance with a laadi-daa post as well makes me wonder... basic wolf-stuff appearing without anything to leave for others in substance - and thence no one has a good reason to lynch him. Too easy?

From the very thin sample of players they both have earned my suspicions. But happily there is lots of this Day left for them to prove me otherwise.

I mean one can even try to say something even if it's a "first post" of one's. Like just trying to get a handle of this how small or fickle that contribution might be, just to show one is serious about this - which does not mean one can't be joyful at the same time. But just actually saying something as well... if not about others (when there is no chance - but now there surely is, so no excuses anymore - and I think this fits a couple of the last posters anyways) then about the overall tactics or whatever. Everything one says can be used in close examination afterwards and what we need is an ability to close-examine everyone here.

Like Menel here spoke with the words of wisdom. Let the wolves talk and betray themselves with their own talk! That's what we believe in our village: good arguments! This has been the traditon in my village and I do believe in it still.

I hope Menel will also say more than that as just stating an self-evidency is not too much either...

Speak up people, state your views! That's the only way the wolves will be caught apart from pure luck or astonishing slipperies by them...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
While Nogrod is right in objecting to Xyzzy's words...I'd say pointing out that casting suspicion on the first to speak is in itself, at the best, badly reasoned, and at worst, wolfish...it doesn't jibe with my (admittedly fallible) impression of Kath; and the post itself seemed somehow tense or tight. Careful, maybe.

Mind you, I'm not casting suspicion yet...just thinking aloud. We shall see what the day brings.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:34 PM   #11
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Clarification: By "it", I mean posting first, of course.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
And Shasta's appearance with a laadi-daa post as well makes me wonder... basic wolf-stuff appearing without anything to leave for others in substance - and thence no one has a good reason to lynch him. Too easy?
I don't know if this is reasonable, Nogrod. I know how you like content-rich posts, but in-character banter in first posts is a bit of a WW tradition, is it not?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welle, ye only waye I canne see to induce these Wolves to talke is to lynche ye moste unhelpfulle ones. I knowe, it soundeth bloody. However, if someone is silente withoute a goode reasonne, I don'te see what possible advantage this villager woulde provide.

No lynchings woulde actually be carried oute for unhelpfulnesse if ye villagers talke as muche as possible. So please do so!

(Note: I have a prior engagement in aboute an houre, whiche should take a few houres itselfe. I will be unable to speake untille quite late.)
Old 05-31-2007, 06:38 PM   #14
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
And how do you sugest that we force them to speak?
I've had this row a many times before and am not sure I wish to engage in it yet again... but defying the odds I will state this point of mine.

Lynching the non-active players is a good option for these first Days, at least with this large a game - unless there is a better option... So do not make the stupid arguments against this any more. There are situations when certain ideas are reasonable and others less so and principles should yield to practical situations every time. No one is supporting a rule of no exceptions. And I'm not saying that we should decide right here and now to lynch the one who has said the least toDay as the Day has barely started... No and No! *fed up with brainless responses on the beginning hours to this proposal*

So wait and see and decide then. But the principle is important.

If there is a reason to lynch someone who is active, let's lynch her/him, but if not then let's pick the ones who try to ride for free. Okay?

But creating the mood is pivotal! If we create a mood of "we will lynch the quiets" it will force the wolves to discuss rather than try their luck by just being quiet.

Try to see this point, please. Even once in my lifetime!

So if we have nothing better to go for, let's lynch those who don't contribute as they will become loads on us that will be heavier Day by Day. It's much easier to get rid of the free rider-wolves now than later. I've been in too many games where on Day four or something they are real menaces!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:39 PM   #15
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oh, ande I agree that xyzzy's suspicione-casting maketh him looke like a Wolfe.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:41 PM   #16
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Phooey, Nogrod, that was just my first post. It's traditional to be in character! Anyhoof, I'm not sure I agree with the suspicion on Xyzzy... in other, less serious cases, it's traditional to jokingly cast suspicion on the first to post.

However, I've seen you about, as well. I'm not suspicious of you, yet. I don't feel that there's enough people talking to be able to cast any aspersions at this time.

Edit: X'ed with Menel, Nogrod, and Menel again.

Edit: I do agree with your point, though, Nogrod. Lynching those who contribute little, or nothing at all, would be the most beneficial to us, unless there's a good reason to lynch someone active. Forcing a wolf to speak up and discuss can lead to a disastrous mistake.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV

Last edited by Shastanis Althreduin; 05-31-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #17
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
it doesn't jibe with my (admittedly fallible) impression of Kath; and the post itself seemed somehow tense or tight.
On a second look you maybe right. It's not Kath-like somehow, even though I still think Xyzzy's throw-away suspicion was the more suspicious looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae
I don't know if this is reasonable, Nogrod. I know how you like content-rich posts, but in-character banter in first posts is a bit of a WW tradition, is it not?
You're right. But I have just tried to pick anything to show that things can be done differently than just saying "Hello, I'm here... and won't be anymore". Just take this in the overall context of my agenda and you see why I said this.

Okay. Good night for now. I'll be back later.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:57 PM   #18
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*waves to the others and then plops down in a chair*

Hiya everyone. I am Izzie the delegate from the village Kyaq. My father was supposed to make the journey, but he took a nasty fall when he was out hunting with his horse. So I was chosen to come in his place. If you don't mind I am mighty hungry from my journey, so I think I will go in search of some food to eat. Then I will return to discuss this problem which we all seem to have with these nasty werewolves.

*gets up and goes in search of some food*

(It is dinner time; hence the hunger.)
Old 05-31-2007, 06:58 PM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin
Phooey, Nogrod, that was just my first post. It's traditional to be in character!
No problem with that in fact. You have something like twenty hours to show that you can do other things as well...

As I said, the inaction or "indifferent" posting should be looked upon in the end of the Day, not now...
Old 05-31-2007, 06:59 PM   #20
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Well, I used to be against it on principle, but as I look at WW from my older and wiser perspective the "lynch the quiet ones" (or at least threaten to) strategy seems more and more sensible. I've seen too many quiet wolves coast to victory...besides, keeping up a certain level of helpfulness could be seen as a villager's duty.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #21
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabellkya
*waves to the others and then plops down in a chair*

Hiya everyone. I am Izzie the delegate from the village Kyaq. My father was supposed to make the journey, but he took a nasty fall when he was out hunting with his horse. So I was chosen to come in his place. If you don't mind I am mighty hungry from my journey, so I think I will go in search of some food to eat. Then I will return to discuss this problem which we all seem to have with these nasty werewolves.

*gets up and goes in search of some food*

(It is dinner time; hence the hunger.)
Whaaa????

OK, roleplaying is one thing, but if I didn't know better, I'd think you were sending "wolf hints" - not being the one expected (in relation to SPM's narration); and being hungry...
Old 05-31-2007, 07:14 PM   #22
xyzzy
Haunting Spirit

xyzzy is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
It was entirely flavor; I'm not seriously suspicious of someone for getting the first post!

A little jealous, though. :P
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:42 PM   #23
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Yes lynching quiet people have often been helpful, not always by getting wolves. . .actually we have lynched way more quiet innocents. The main problem with quiet people is that when the end of the game approaches you dare not vote for them as you do not have a clear picture of them and would rather kill someone you actually suspect.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM   #24
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

What I ment to say with the previouse post was that if we are going to lynch quiet people we should do it before too late in the game, so that we wont have the dilema of going after a suspect or a quiet person. (for me they are seldome the same)

Old 05-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
It pains me to do this, because I am going to feel so bad about it; with the long history between Menel and myself. But I got a bad feeling about him already.
Quote:
Welle, ye only waye I canne see to induce these Wolves to talke is to lynche ye moste unhelpfulle ones.
I must profoundly object to this one. Every day is precious, we can't just waste them by voting off unhelpful villagers, that strategy will get us into trouble and put us in a tough vice towards the end. When is it that the wolves are the unhelpful ones in the village? All wolves talk and participate to varying degrees, all to varying degrees, but never is a wolf going to appear unhelpful. There are the quiet, lay low wolves, but there is a difference between being quiet and being unhelpful.

This whole proposal Menel gets me wonderin' about your identity sir knight. Our votes are the ordinary innocents only weapon against the wolves and we must not waste days by throwing our votes away for someone who albeit it is being unhelpful, but nevertheless someone you don't find all that suspicious of. Our votes are precious and the suggestion that we waste them doesn't sit right with me.

Quote:
I don'te see what possible advantage this villager woulde provide.
ummm...their vote

Your jump on xyzzy; Menel is also quite alarming...considering I really think Nogrod and you are making too much out of his first post.

Quote:
not being the one expected (in relation to SPM's narration)~Rikae
I'm curious Rikae, because I have no clue what you're talking about. I am bad at picking up on clues out of the narration, so if you wouldn't mind pointing me out to the 'one not expected' in the narration, that would be great.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #26
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Quote:
Originally Posted by "narration'
They have waylaid some of the travellers on their journey here, and assumed their identities.
Which, logically, would mean they WERE the ones expected, of course. But it is still rather eerie to have someone showing up saying "my father was supposed to come, but blah blah blah", and my first impulse was to think it was some sort of hint...possibly to or from a cobbler.

As for you, Boro, I'm surprised to see you taking the easy road of arguing against the LTQ (lynch the quiet) strategy and suspecting the one who suggests it. Surely you've seen enough quiet wolf victories...in the last two games alone, quiet wolves hung on until the end and were a thorn in our sides. A quiet player is just as likely as a vocal one to be lupine; and any lynch risks killing an ordo. In the absence of solid suspicions (which might not be absent after all by the end of the day) I'd rather see a quiet ordo (who is impossible to analyse) lynched than a vocal ordo who is helpful and easier to examine.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:55 PM   #27
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Except that, this being her first game and all, I'm not sure she knows exactly what a Cobbler is.

Is there some prior history between Menel and Boro that I should know about?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:19 PM   #28
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Welle, I am backe. And to answer thy questione, Shasta, yea, my house and that of Boro have feuded for quite a while, each of us having been suspiciouse of ye other for divers reasones. He hath sent many a father of mine to ye grave, Wolfe or Innocente.

Boromir88, thou hast always had a bad feeling about me. What maketh this one more trustworthy than ye last fewe times? Ye reasone for lynching ye quiete woulde be to drawe ye wolves out into ye open. This is merely a strategy to force people to talke, and thus provide more material to analyze and more potential for Wolfe mistakes to emerge. If there is another way to force people to talke more oftenne, I cannotte see it.

Xyzzy's suddenne, randomme suspicione seemed like a very odd move, and even if it were a joke as he claimeth, it doth not clear his name. Accusing people jokingly on ye firste Day is oftenne a signe of a Wolfe.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:36 PM   #29
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Menel, please. The spelling. It. Hurts. My. Head. In character is nice, but all things in moderation!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:05 PM   #30
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ahem.

"On behalf of Follywood, I'd like to point out that whether or not we should lynch those who are considered 'quiet' is rather an un-moot point, seeing as it's only the early half of Day 1, we're only 28 posts into the game, and only ten (now eleven) of the delegates have even arrived.

"I'd agree in an instant that our odds of catching a wolf among the now nine who are not yet present is pretty darn good, but...well, for one thing I don't want to be stuck with both Boro and Noggie left after such a purge."

Doureling slowly scans the crowd...and quickly does a double-take.

ohmigosh!!!!@!!1!!1!!!!one!!!

Quickly gathering back up her composure, the Follywood delegate exhales slowly.

"I didn't see you there, Kath..."

++Kath
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:07 PM   #31
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Which, logically, would mean they WERE the ones expected, of course. But it is still rather eerie to have someone showing up saying "my father was supposed to come, but blah blah blah", and my first impulse was to think it was some sort of hint...possibly to or from a cobbler.~Rikae
I see thank you. Isabell's post is completely in-character as you have remarked upon, but I think I'll wait for her to post some more. This is the first time I have been in her presense and I will reserve my judgement whether her first post was harmless in-character fun or some sort of wicked wolvish scheme.

It's not so much being against 'lynch the quiet' you can say its more of the manner Menel said lynch the 'unhelpful.' Yes there are bound to be quiet wolves and they are going to be tough to get out...but there is a difference between being unhelpful and keeping a low profile (being quiet).

I don't understand why any innocent would not want to help out and contribute but the way Menel says it looks evil...let me explain it this way.
Quote:
Welle, ye only waye I canne see to induce these Wolves to talke is to lynche ye moste unhelpfulle ones.
The point being the wolves are not going to want to appear unhelpful. They are going to want to fit in, they are going be want to look helpful, not unhelpful. The way quiet wolves do fit in is pop in with a little comment once in a while that we all skim over and cast aside, which creates a low profile and we virtually just forget about him/her. Even if they are quiet they still are going to want to appear helpful and contributing, they just don't participate as much...because being quiet creates their low profile, and by appearing helpful (with the few posts they do make) this is what causes us all to forget about them (because nothing stands out in their posts they seem normal).

It's the way Menel phrases it...its all coming off to me as 'well if we can't find a wolf, lets waste a day and lynch someone who isn't helping.' I don't think we can just go and waste days so needlessly...our job is to lynch wolves not lynch an unhelpful villager to get the wolves talking. The wolves are going to be talking and contributing anyway, and some of the wolves are probably going to be amongst the quiet crowd, but that doesn't mean these quiet wolves aren't going to appear helpful and contributing.

Edit: x-ed with Durelin

Last edited by Boromir88; 05-31-2007 at 10:11 PM. Reason: bolding names
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:14 PM   #32
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah-heh-heh-hem.

"On behalf of Follywood, I'd like to point out that I cannot count. Indeed, the ancient art is lost to all of Follywood. It was the plague, you see. The severadigititus, to be precise. Yes, the very one. Rather took the ol' boot to that 'base ten' thing. That is to say, sabotaged."
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:14 PM   #33
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Er.... Durelin, you do realize that that's now your final vote? Votes aren't retractable...
Old 05-31-2007, 10:23 PM   #34
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Well, Boro, I'm sorry. But I've about had it with fly-under-the-radar wolves, and I think it's high time the much debated strategy in question was put to the test. Unless I see some clear suspect emerge today, I will cast my vote for somebody whose participation is minimal. (Not necessarily the most "unhelpful"...but we shall see). And that's that.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #35
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

If someone simply flieth under ye radar and poste a little to show that he/she is still arounde but offereth little of value (which thou callest "keeping a low profile"), Boromir88, that person is no better than a silent one. In facte, someone like that is probably even more likely to be a Wolfe. We wante ye Wolves to avoide such behavior, so that shoulde be just as lynch-worthy.

I am not saying that we must lynch all the quiet/unhelpful/whatever ones! Suche a tactic is simply a way of forcing ye Wolves into ye spotlighte, where they're more likely to make a mistake. I simply do not know any better way to force ye Wolves to stop the "stay quiet, posting just as much is necessary but little of value" attitude and post more often. Ye best lynching candidate is a Wolfe that posteth something that inadvertently giveth away too much. Lynching ye quiete/unhelpful ones is just a way to bring ye wolves to a pointe where they'll be more likely to make a mistake and be exposed for what they really are.

This olde knighte is going to bed. I shall see thee tomorrow, and willl vote rather early due to worke-related factors.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #36
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Quote:
[about later on in the game with quiet people]...you dare not vote for them as you do not have a clear picture of them and would rather kill someone you actually suspect.
In all the games I have played it was not a quiet one that was lynched first, but an innocent and valuable, quiet ones have tended to make it quite a way into the game. Perhaps we should lynch a quiet player for once? The Day 1 lynch is always a shot in the dark anyway...

Quote:
Hmm, this is certainly interesting. Werewolves, eh? Well, that's interesting. I suppose we should start casting suspicion on each other now. I think one of these Werewolves is this Kath fellow. First one to speak up is probably trying to sound like he really dislikes Werewolf survival.
This doesn't sound as though Xyzzy is completely joking. And if you're not going to post much, why waste one on a joke? Perhaps this is indeed an over-enthusiastic Xyzzy-wolf? Then again, you can never tell much with Xyzzy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
++Kath
Stuh? That was a bit random. And votes are non-retractable! I'm getting the increasing impression that Durelin is rather spontanaeous at WereWolf.

And all I can say to Nogrod and Boro is "Fight, fight, fight, fight...
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:17 AM   #37
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The Delegate of INSTRAW arrives

"Honorable chair, fellow delegates,
INSTRAW is highly concerned about the death of our honorable Secretary General, Sir Saucepan. INSTRAW strongly urges all member states to take action in order to investigate this terrible murder and arrest the killers. Thank you."

(So much for nostalgia...)

~*~

*surprisesurprise* Here's one more supporter of "lynch someone you can't form a picture about because of his/her constant absence if you don't have a (good) reason to lynch a louder person/ a contributor"-tactics. *waves*

~*~

I must say I'm glad Nogrod's back in ww - it really refreshed me after seeing a few chatty one-liner posts to see the form of his familiar, lengthy post...! Eventhough a bit hasty when talking about Shasta, I see him as a reasonable villager and it would grieve me to lynch him toDay (unless, of course, he does anything very wolvish).

Rikae seems very innocent - she has done one thing that made me once confident about someone's innocence... Thogh she might have played in that game herself and remember my reasoning and thus do it.... hmmm... For now I'm inclined to believe she's honest (maybe only because she's contributive, though)...

I have no clear opinion about Menel because my brain always uncosciously turns to the "ignore"-function when I see more than one sentence in his writing style.... (No offense Menel, this just happens.... )

Durelin
makes me wonder....but I guess only an ordo would do something like that even though without pasuing I'd love to add that Durelin can do particularly anything so never mind.

Boro is giving me those infamous bad vibes... Though not very much atm and I don't want to judge him only based on gut-feeling since his posts are okay with me... (Even though I somewhat disagree with him.)

Shasta, Sixth and Kath all seem very normal for themselves but that doesn't prove anything.

Xyzzy is hasty enough to make me suspect him a little. I have nothing to say about Isabellkya this far.

~*~

I should get my net access home working toDay (yay!) but I can't count on it (as there might be some problem) so I might have to vote very early toDay (two or three hours from now). A pity the votes aren't retractable... (Yes, you got it right... I miss retrackies...)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:27 AM   #38
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Is it just me or do we not know how many wolves are even out there?
No, we don't know that - unless Sauce hints about it in the narrations, which I guess (and hope) might happen. But this is such a big game (20 players) that I think we shouldn't rule out the possibility of four wolves, or some other nasty things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Except that, this being her first game and all, I'm not sure she knows exactly what a Cobbler is.
Unless she is one.
I don't remember if she has said anywhere that this is her first game, but if it is, I don't think a newbie-wolf would, or even could, be brave enough to try to catch the eye of the cobbler, when there's a risk that someone else notices it too.

I don't see anything that suspicious about xyzzy. I mean, I remember the game when he was a wolf (I didn't play in it, but being a friend of Lommy's, I was expected to know what was happening), and as far as I remember he was less eye-catching then. And as he said, I don't think he would seriously suspect anyone just because of being the one to post first.

But of course, this is the first Day, and everybody is searching for even the tiniest hints of werewolvishness on others.

I think lynching a quiet one rather than someone much contributing is a good idea - at least on Day 1 (and we must also keep in mind that there will be no modkills). By toMorrow we have this Day's voting records and the wolf kill, which will hopefully help us to form a clearer picture of who the wolves might be.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:37 AM   #39
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, I agree, let's lynch all those quiet ones. Starting with that there Feanor *points*. Why does she say nothing? Why is she painting us?

In other news, I think I'll revert to my strategy of voting for somebody almost at random today, as we have so little to go on. I'll need to look over who I think is innocent and exclude them from the list though; that list of likely-innocents is likely to include people who are loud.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:46 AM   #40
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Well, we know Fea has played WereWolf before, so perhaps she is just laying low deliberately... But that was a bit jumpy Shorty. We have to use SOME strategy with quiet peeps, don't we? I don't know what kind of strategy, but something.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote