Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #1721
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have altered my post to leave Thornden and Léof back by the ruined tower with Rilef and their prisoner whose name escapes me. I have put Thornden's comment regarding only 11 outlaws accounted for in Stigend's mouth instead. And Eodwine now plans to return by way of the tower to meet up with Thornden and company.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #1722
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I've edited my post to redirect the question about Rilef to Eodwine.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #1723
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thanks very much, you two. I appreciate that greatly. I'll probably write a post tomorrow morning... I guess there's a slight chance that I can write one tonight, but it's slight.

Can I bring the group back to the tower to meet Thornden and the rest ?

-- Folwren
Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #1724
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll take care of getting the group back to the tower, Foley. Right now, I hope. Lessee I have 6 minutes before lunch break is over.....
Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #1725
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Welcome, Ealasaide! Thanks for joining us! Great first post (as I mentioned via PM already....)!

Okay, there's a little issue of which I feel I'm guilty. I have made a decision as to how Garstan and Stigend will handle the situation vis a vi their boys and Rilef. It doesn't have to be set up the way I did, if you don't want. Sometimes I get on a roll and put words in the mouths of others, which is dangerous. Please know that you can always tell me, "My character wouldn't do/say that." .... as Foley did, quite appropriately, not long ago.

So let me know...

Now back to the new character business.

Below are a couple links that you might find useful to orient yourself to how things go around here. The first one is the List of Characters . The second one is a
General introduction . I've placed asterisks * by the ones that are pretty necessary background. Enjoy your time among the Eorlingas!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #1726
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
The first one is the List of Characters .
Just visited that link for the first time... possibly in forever... and I've noticed a factual error in Náin's bio: there's no way he could be a goodwill ambassador of Dáin, since Dáin died in the War of the Ring in the Battle of Erebor. Náin is the ambassador of his son, Thorin III Stonehelm.

Just being nitpickety.

And yes, yes I know I really should post something about Náin. Thing is, now that I'm back to a mental state where this is more possible... the rescue mission is over. 'twould be better, perhaps, to focus my energies on even more neglected RPGs for the moment. Maybe.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #1727
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Thanks, LMP! It's great to be back on the Downs and RPGing again after such a long hiatus. Thanks very much for the links, too. I was just wondering how to get oriented with everyone's characters. That will help quite a lot.

To help everyone in getting acquainted with the new character, here is a brief portrait:

Elián comes from Belfalas to the South. He is a slim and wiry young man of roughly 27 years. He is of average height and would be almost pretty but for the recently healed scar from a sword slash just above his left eyebrow. He is deeply sun-tanned with dark blond hair that he wears plaited, seaman-style, in a long qeue down his back, almost to his waist. He has piercing blue eyes and a quick smile, as well as a handful of large and colorful tattoos, all with maritime symbolic significance: a compass star on the inside of his left forearm so that he may never lose his way, an anchor on his left bicep so that he may always return to port, and the sinuous curves of a sea dragon on his right forearm for protection at sea.

Elián has a tendency to dress like a seaman as well, wearing loose linen trousers and shirt, the shirt being usually left open at the throat and cuffs. He also wears tall leather boots and a worn leather jerkin. He carries a leather bag like a messenger’s pouch across his left shoulder and a second, smaller leather pouch tied to his wide leather belt. He wears his sword in a baldric over his right shoulder that buckles over his chest, and a dagger in his belt behind him, concealed by his dark brown cloak. All leather items are stained with sea salt, evidence of a good bit of time spent at sea.

He is a good natured, generally pleasant fellow with a strong sense of self-preservation. He is currently on the run, which is what brings him to Rohan, from a very sketchy past.

Okay, to help me keep things straight, please let me know if this is correct:

Two groups have just converged in a clearing over what appears to be the bodies of two dead young men: Group One includes Eodwine, Rowena, Garsten, Stigend, Garmund, Cnebba, two dogs, and two prisoners.
Group Two: Thornden, Léof, and one prisoner.

Is there anyone I'm missing?

Last edited by Ealasaide; 05-17-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #1728
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ealasaide, that sounds right... Only I don't know if Rilef could be described as appearing like two young men.

Elempi, what's happening with Javan and Falco? I keep thinking about them when I'm either away from the computer or I'm at the computer but don't have time to write. Can they be arriving at the ruins just about now?

-- Folwren
Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #1729
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Quote:
Ealasaide, that sounds right... Only I don't know if Rilef could be described as appearing like two young men.
Oh, sorry. I had thought that the dead were Lefun and Ritun, who are oft referred to as twins and that share one set of legs between them. Seems to me that, at a glance, they could be mistaken for two separate individuals. ??

Last edited by Ealasaide; 05-17-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #1730
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

LOL! That's hilarious!

Rilef are Lefun and Ritun! They're twins joined at the hip and may well appear like two people momentarily to the unsuspecting eye. And for short, since they're usually address together, they're called Rilef.

It was all Elempi's idea with the name and the shortening and blending of names, so blame him if you're confused.

-- Folwren
Old 05-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #1731
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thank you for the warm welcome to the thread, Folwren. Actually, I discovered that before your rather condescending comeback.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #1732
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ealasaide
Thank you for the warm welcome to the thread, Folwren. Actually, I discovered that before your rather condescending comeback.
Ouch. I didn't mean to be condescending, I swear! I'm just easily amused. I do apologize for laughing. I'm sorry if I offended you.

And I've got a horrible feeling that this is going to end up in an awful mix up where you didn't mean something and I took it wrong and vice-versa.
But I've got to know - was that statement "Thank you for the warm welcome to the thread" sarcasm?

I didn't mean to be rude or condescending. It was the farthest thing from my mind. Your post was excellent. I'm very glad you joined. How can I make up?

-- Folwren
Old 05-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #1733
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

I am sorry, too -- I have kind of a quick-draw on the sarcasm, so it tends to slip out sometimes on it's own. Also, since I am very direct in expressing myself, nearly 100% of the time I am read as MUCH more intense than I intend whatever I have written. I'm really quite harmless. Laugh away! I am not offended. I just mis-interpreted your laughter as pouncing upon my mistakes and was attempting to defend myself. I realize that sarcasm is definitely not the way to go when the other person cannot see the twinkle in one's eye when it is "said" in writing.

We are perfectly cool. No need to worry or make amends.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #1734
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

How about we just delete this entire little exchange and pretend it never happened?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #1735
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Excellent! Acceptance of apologies all around. I am glad you were not terribly offended by my laughing. It was not exactly at you, either...

Yes, sarcasm is hard to do successfully over a computer unfortunately. I'm sarcastic myself much of the time, in real life, and one must hold one's self back here, or have cranky mods on to one's self. (There, that was sarcasm...)

Hehe...I'm having too much fun. I'm extremely tired today and probably find more humor than there really is in things.

Accept this and my last post as a real warm welcome. I'm sure you'll be a great asset to the Mead Hall inhabitants and writers.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 05-17-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #1736
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ealasaide
How about we just delete this entire little exchange and pretend it never happened?
Oh, no! One's arguments and disagreements and misunderstandings must remain. They make for awfully funny reading later on.

(Allow another stab of sarcasm) - Elempi always says that conflict is good. It makes things interesting!

Besides, if we've made up, all is well and good, and we needn't worry about anything. The others won't mind, unless Pio comes in and sends the Chat Skwerl on us....

-- Folwren
Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #1737
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

The Chat Skwerl?!?!? That must be a new innovation since I was last active on the Downs. Sounds truly frightening!

But Pio knows me well and will probably be rolling her eyes over this whole thing.

I love your attitude re: arguments. Sounds good to me!

I look forward to writing with you very much and thank you (honestly, no sarcasm) for the truly warm welcome.

Now... back to the storyline....
Old 05-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #1738
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Just as a point of information, here's what the Chat Skwerl looks like:

~*~ Pio
Old 05-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #1739
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nice. Right after bragging by PM that I didn't get off topic very often and don't remember getting a chat skwerl set on me, I get smashed. What apppropriate timing, Pio.

I thought he had a machine gun and army helmet?

-- Folwren
Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #1740
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
His fellow-squirrel is so armed:

& so now, I will stop chatting....
Old 05-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #1741
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, class, let's settle down, including the 'nutty' moderator.

And now that we're all nice happy playmates again, I posted last, so it's up to somebody else to do a post.

Conflict is good. .... in somebody else's life.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #1742
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh. Right. A post. Well, I meant to post today, but I had a looooong (extremely boring job) that took most of today for me, so I didn't do it at work. I rode horses when I got home...and then watched Star Wars (sorry), and now I'm going to bed.

Maybe I'll write something tomorrow. But I'd love to see Firefoot write something. Or Celuien or Nogrod.

-- Folwren
Old 05-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #1743
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I'll write later on...after a certain graduation ceremony today. This is a cross-RPG announcement.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:41 AM   #1744
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
This weekend - promise.

Today's the last day of AP testing (!) ... so I ought to be having more time after this.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #1745
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

I will try to have something up in the next day or so as well.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #1746
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Poor Celuien appears to have been rushed. Ah graduations, such a busy time of life.

The little business between Elián and Falco & Javan has me cracking up. What fun!

I'll do a Falco post. Anybody want to write into the tableau of Ritun and Lefun? Or should we move on?
Old 05-19-2007, 06:37 PM   #1747
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I have time before you move on, I can post concerning Rilef. But if someone moves on before I post, I won't squawk. I'd say, move on when ever is convenient. Do they get a funeral?

And do we actually get to have a part with Falco bringing up Thornden's behavior in the courtyard (and vice-versa) to Eodwine?

I find it humorous that you're laughing over our three's encounter. It is funny, but it hasn't quite made me laugh.

-- Folwren
Old 05-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #1748
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I have time before you move on, I can post concerning Rilef. But if someone moves on before I post, I won't squawk. I'd say, move on when ever is convenient. Do they get a funeral?
Yes. I think Nogrod might want to have Stigend and Cnebba have a word in.

Quote:
And do we actually get to have a part with Falco bringing up Thornden's behavior in the courtyard (and vice-versa) to Eodwine?
I'm looking forward to that.

Quote:
I find it humorous that you're laughing over our three's encounter. It is funny, but it hasn't quite made me laugh.
You are much too serious, my dear Foley.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #1749
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
I'm looking forward to that.
I am, too.

Quote:
You are much too serious, my dear Foley.
Well, not really. I laugh a ton, usually. It really isn't hard to make me laugh. And it is humorous, I'll admit that, and your post did make me laugh. And I guess his first comment about Master Bunny-rabbit probably did make me laugh, I just forgot...or something.

-- Folwren
Old 05-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #1750
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Snicker! Javan mistaken for a girl. Hee hee! Good one, Ealy (we're kind of in the habit of nicknaming each other with shortened forms of our monikers, so if you have a preferred form, please let us know.). Perfect characterization, by the by, Foley.

Oh, Foley, it may be true that we writers know Elián's name, but Javan does not. It looks awkward seeing his real name used in your post.

Shall Elián be the next one to speak, or Falco?
Old 05-20-2007, 07:28 PM   #1751
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thanks! My little brother is Javan's age, about, and I also have a cousin here who's ten, so I have some good examples about how such a one would react.

Quote:
Oh, Foley, it may be true that we writers know Elián's name, but Javan does not. It looks awkward seeing his real name used in your post.
Yes, I thought about it. I guess I can change it. I wasn't sure what would be more awkward, using his real name, or the name Javan knew him by...

-- Folwren
Old 05-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #1752
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thanks, Elempi! heehee

Nicknames are great. My preferred form is Eala.

I'd like to post first in response to Folwren -- thanks for asking! I've got a post half-written, but it is a short one. I should have it up sometime later this afternoon.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #1753
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Another great post, Eala. My next, in which Falco will give his turn of the story of Eodwine and the outlaws, as far as he knows it (plus what he imagines) must wait perhaps until Wed., because I have a very busy day tomorrow. Time will tell. But if Javan speaks first, that is fine. So is any action in the "tableau". If there is no further action there, then I will take it upon myself to write that too, but probably not until Wed. or Thurs. Time for me to off to bed as I'm up in just over 6 hours....
Old 05-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #1754
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thanks, Elempi!

No hurry re: your response. I'm looking forward to it!

Just a little advance word from me, though: I will be away from the computer from Friday afternoon until late Monday, so I won't be able to respond until Tuesday at the soonest if I miss my window of opportunity before I leave. (I'll be off at a fencing tourney, probably getting my butt handed to me. The bright side is that in a double elimination, you can only die twice! haha)
Old 05-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #1755
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hello Folks!

Folwren asked me to tell you that she is not feeling well at present, which is why she hasn't posted. She should be back soon.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #1756
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finduilas
Folwren asked me to tell you that she is not feeling well at present, which is why she hasn't posted. She should be back soon.
Thanks. I saw that yours was the latest post, Finduilas (Findy?) , and here I thought maybe you'd been approved already for Rohan. Ah well.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #1757
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Quote:
Thanks. I saw that yours was the latest post, Finduilas (Findy?) , and here I thought maybe you'd been approved already for Rohan. Ah well.
Just Fin, and no, not yet. Foley should be back some time today... we hope.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #1758
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Argh! I was hoping to answer your excellent post this afternoon before leaving, Elempi, but I have run out of time. (Too much to do, too little time.) I will be sure to get something up on Tuesday. Apologies in advance for the delay.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #1759
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Unluckily, I don't think Foley will be back anytime today. She might not be back till Sunday.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #1760
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay. I'm back. Partially. Still somewhat weak, but I'm getting over it.

I need to tell you, though, Thursday night I am leaving for camp. Below, I have written out what days I will be here this summer. It's pretty meager. I'm very sorry. I get to work at camp six weeks, though!

June 8 (after 6:00) to June 10 (until 3:00)
June 15 (after 6:00) to June 17 (until 3:00)
June 22 (after 6:00) to June 24 (until 3:00)
Jun 29 (after 6:00) to July 5
Maybe July 7 and 8 for about 24 hours.
July 13 (after 6:00) to July 15 (until 3:00)
July 20 is the last day of camp. And we'll be leaving for Virginia sometime between the 23 and the 27, I think, but I'm not sure when.

Now...I don't believe there's anything I have to post right now, so I'll get back to all the work that I have to catch up on. Being sick for a week is not fun, so I don't advise it.

-- Folwren