The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #41
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Lucky Thirteen.

I'll post the basics tonight, send out roles shortly thereafter, and we can start late tomorrow.

Good luck. You'll need it.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:29 PM   #42
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife
NOGROD! *glomp*

I was hoping you'd be here, if for no other reason than that I need someone to distrust immediately, and argue with until one of us dies.
Oh, Mrs. Roa (congratulations!), how bad! I had just thought that we could see this as a chance to at last come together...

Looking at the stats, I think you have been a baddie a lot more often than I have, so from the point of view of any reasonable villager, you will be the one who is the baddie and I'm the goodie - how beautiful your rhetorics will be...

But, and sincerely, sharing a victory would be the best of all (we have done it once, if I recall it right?). I really would love that.

We'll see...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #43
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
So, wait....

What time are we starting?

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:01 AM   #44
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The game thread has been opened. Please refrain from posting on it until the first Day begins.

The wolves have been informed of their identities. If you did not receive a PM, you are an ordinary villager. Congratulations on your distinct normalcy.

You are all welcome to PM me at any time. Please use your discretion in the use of this thread from now on; save it for announced absences, questions pertaining to rules... that sort of thing. If in doubt, just PM me.

Please make yourselves invisible if you have not already.

The first Night will be posted at an unspecified time tomorrow (11/12/06). The first Day will occur at 10:00 PM (EST) following it. With no Seer, a lengthy first Night is absolutely pointless.

Good luck, dear players, and thank you for playing. I very much hope you enjoy yourselves.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #45
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I would like to make a statement in advance about my time zone and its effect on my posting. 10pm CT is 4am EST. That means that I will not be posting for several hours before the day/night cycle ends/begins. Sleep has priority! If you're looking for lots of last-minute action, lynch me on the first day.

Actually, I'm not sure what the content of our posts should be - we can't speculate on cooperation of werewolves, since they don't know each others' identity. Are we to adopt a character and post in character? Not that that would help, but at least it would give us something to write...

And since there is no PMing by any of us, is there a reason for the request for players to be invisible online?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #46
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Actually, I'm not sure what the content of our posts should be - we can't speculate on cooperation of werewolves, since they don't know each others' identity.
There was a reason each of you were chosen. You all know me. You also know each other, at least to a point.

Though I didn't directly choose the wolves, you may not want to assume it was a completely random choice.

Quote:
And since there is no PMing by any of us, is there a reason for the request for players to be invisible online?
Tradition, mostly. I can't think of any die hard reasoning, but I also know I'm a bit distracted lately. Keeping players on invisible means that it doesn't matter if I forgot anything.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #47
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
once again...

Quote:
Are we to adopt a character and post in character?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #48
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Once again...

Quote:
I'm going to continue with my current idea of mental vacation and leave it up to you. Would you prefer picking your own roles, or shall I merely write what comes to me?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #49
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I rather enjoy being the village grave digger. It allows me to write bad poetry.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #50
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I shall be an exhausted and overworked student of literature (post-modern ironic ha ha blimming ha).
Old 11-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #51
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
If it comes to this, I will be a retired professor of philosophy who has turned to hate everything theoretical... and who will slip from his role at the first instant.

There was a nice game where everyone where required to post in-character all the game, in RPG-style, just a month ago or something. It was fun and it worked. But that requires pre-game planning and consent of all the players. Here we have not such a thing and so I think it's just best we go the way we wish...

So maybe we do not need any characters? In most of the games they have been a sham anyway...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #52
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Any choice to write in character is your own and will affect the game only insomuch as you - individually and as a group - allow it to do so.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #53
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Um... we're starting today? Nogrod, Boromir, and I are all still playing another game. Is this going to be a problem?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #54
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
Um... we're starting today? Nogrod, Boromir, and I are all still playing another game. Is this going to be a problem?
Not for me.

Tell me now if you guys need a delay.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:26 PM   #55
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I can't speak for Nogord and Boromir, but I would find it difficult to juggle both games. I cannot tell you when I will be available, though, as I don't know.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #56
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Bah.

Choice One: Start the game tonight and hope for the best in terms of those who are a bit busy.

Choice Two: Delay the game and risk uncertain moderatorial ability to guarantee hours and access nearing the end.

I don't much like either choice.

Therefore my room mate just recommended the perfect decision: blind luck.

Flipping a coin (technically a bottle cap, and technically I'm throwing it and then going to find it and look which side landed up... I am a resourceful person when it comes to chance...).

We'll begin tonight.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #57
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

My apologies - and so soon! - but I will be all but inaccessable until late tomorrow morning.

If any questions turn up that I don't seem to be around to answer... make something up.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #58
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

2 hours in and I regret to inform everyone that I will be unavailable until several hours before the end of the day. Look for this pattern- I'll be here at the beginning and at the end, but I'll miss most of the in-between.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:59 AM   #59
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Grave digger, lit student, philosophy professor - what practical, typical village professions! Somebody has to nurture the rest of the inhabitants, so I have decided to be a milkmaid. I definitely need a role to make posting interesting for me, as I see nothing logical to reason about in this game.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 AM   #60
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Given the company I'm in.. I think I will be the Village Idiot or the Fool if you prefer something slightly more PC and Shakespearean....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #61
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Clarifications

On Ties: Only one person will be lynched each Day, just as only one person will be killed each Night. In the event of a mass tie, the first two to reach the number of votes required for the tie will be the two decided between. Remember that you may retract your votes once; this may have bearing on how you decide to strategize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
So what do we think would happen if nobody voted? Or would Fea just roll her eyes, flip her coin and lynch someone at random?
That is precisely what I'd do. One death per Day, one death per Night.

On Moderatorial Integrity: Coins have been used and will be used again. If I had meant for your participation to have no bearing on the outcome, I would have stuck with my original plan of no wolves, no gifteds, just a bunch of paranoid villagers killing people (with me picking people off each night) until somebody is left standing, only to fall to the Moderator. That, however, is neither fun nor fair. Though I have nothing against "subtly misleading" you, as then it becomes your own problem of interpretation, I will not lie.

On Wolf Identities: One wolf was hand chosen by me. The other was not. Welcome, yet again, to mixed rationality and luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Now for a bit of speculation causes shivers down my gaming spine: what if Feamoderator is the third werewolf? Is that completely outside the realm of possibility?
I can do that? Is it too late?

Alas, there are only two wolves. In retrospect, do you have any idea how fun that would be?

And yet... completely unfair.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #62
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
If it's not too late I would like to be the town Sociologist surveyer. (DIdn't know we were going with roles in this one ).
Old 11-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #63
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

As far as my role, I will be the town phantom, for I am undoubtedly far more interesting than any character I could ever make up.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #64
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I know I just started the Day over two hours early, but I need to disappear. I'll poke my head in before classes in the morning. This early start will not affect the end time of the Day.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #65
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Just saw this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
There probably won't be any wolves at all- Fea will just randomly kill someone everynight until we go crazy trying to find a connection between them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
If I had meant for your participation to have no bearing on the outcome, I would have stuck with my original plan of no wolves, no gifteds, just a bunch of paranoid villagers killing people (with me picking people off each night) until somebody is left standing, only to fall to the Moderator.
I so called it....

Old 11-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #66
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

We need victory conditions, Fea.

When two WWs are killed, does the village win?

When the number of villagers equals the number of WWs, do the WWs win?

In order to make this village completely legitimate you must provide victory conditions, for a game/competition/activity without known and attainable objectives is not a real game/competition/activity.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #67
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I should offer myself voluntarily for lynching before my reputation goes (even farther) downhill - apparently someone thinks my posting on this game is worth a bunch of negative points!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #68
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

That neg rep was me, Esty, cause I hate your guts. You see, before you joined this village I was going to be the most popular person here, but you ruined that for me!

As we speak I'm running around as quickly as possible trying to deal out ten reps so I can go back and neg rep you again.

I'll never forgive you.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:45 AM   #69
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

@ phantom:
Old 11-15-2006, 10:36 AM   #70
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
We need victory conditions, Fea.
Oh, I suppose.

You'll find out who wins when there's one person left and I let you know what his or her role is.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #71
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Moddess on game thread
There were never, nor will there ever be, more than two wolves. If you weren't a wolf, you won't become one.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did she ever categorically deny that anyone outside the game could be a wolf? Wasn't that just phantom's deduction?

Old 11-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #72
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did she ever categorically deny that anyone outside the game could be a wolf? Wasn't that just phantom's deduction?
No, no, no, I never said you weren't a WW. I just said that you were definitely not one of the two WWs that the village must slay, for Fea specifically said that two of the thirteen "players" were WWs, and she clearly defined who the players were.

I ended by saying, "If Beth is a WW, she is an extra."
Old 11-15-2006, 01:06 PM   #73
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
No, no, no, I never said you weren't a WW. I just said that you were definitely not one of the two WWs that the village must slay, for Fea specifically said that two of the thirteen "players" were WWs, and she clearly defined who the players were.

I ended by saying, "If Beth is a WW, she is an extra."

I wasn't speaking of myself. I used the word "anyone."
Old 11-15-2006, 01:12 PM   #74
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

What's true for you is true for "anyone".
Old 11-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #75
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

@ phantom:

Ooohhh! two in one day
Old 11-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #76
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
apparently someone thinks my posting on this game is worth a bunch of negative points
I've been neg-repped also. It would appear my narratives are causing quite the stir. For my unidentified critic: Yes.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #77
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Delight, delight, I've just been reminded that I've a ticket to a show I have a many-layered obligation to see. Though I hope I'll be back in time to have a narrative post up by 11:00, if you see no posts from me at 10:00, assume I'm still in a theatre.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #78
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question

I assume that we should still not be posting after the deadline ...?
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:38 PM   #79
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

You're good. The show was about 45 minutes shorter than expected. I'm here, I'll post for you to stop at 10:00, narration will be rather similar to before.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #80
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
I've been neg-repped also. It would appear my narratives are causing quite the stir. For my unidentified critic: Yes.

Fea, if you have a inkling as to whom this spineless critic is there is a simple way of confirming suspicions....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote