The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
For girls and ladies only!

Hello, fellow ladies.

Due to recent discussions with my two sisters about what we would like our wedding dresses to look like, I am led to ask this question -

What do you suppose Eowyn and Arwen and other women and elven females would be married in? What sort of dresses? What designs? What sort of sleeves? How wide or how fancy a skirt? A train? What about hobbits? A simpler more country like dress?

I would like to see responses on this. I hope this thread is appropriate. I would be terribly embarrassed if it were not.

You see, I am interested in the answers I get here because my dress I intend to be very elven/fantasy like, light materiel, flowing, but simple. I dislike modern, off shoulders/no shoulder (practically no top) wedding dresses. I think the big, round, heavy satin skirts are pretty, but I don't like them for myself.

I am going to be married in an oak wood in late spring or early summer when that tender green is out...
Not this up coming spring or summer, you understand (unless, of course, God sends around the right man this winter), these are just my hopes and dreams for my wedding.

-- Folwren
Old 12-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Oh my godness Folwren!! You give the same reasoning and description of a similar dress style I would like for myself. Soft and flowing with just the neck and shoulders showing perhaps. Very Elven I think. I will try and post some pictures of similar gowns that I have found.

I would love to be married in the spring as well when evrything is so fresh and vibrant, but I like the idea of an Autumn wedding as well. What about colour? Do you go all white or more softer with creams or pastels for the gown?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
Oh my godness Folwren!! You give the same reasoning and description of a similar dress style I would like for myself. Soft and flowing with just the neck and shoulders showing perhaps. Very Elven I think. I will try and post some pictures of similar gowns that I have found.
Neck and shoulders is gorgeous, though too low on the shoulder's isn't. What is more, Mom would never approve of off shoulders for me. I would do a wide boatneck, I think, which is very elegant.

Quote:
I would love to be married in the spring as well when evrything is so fresh and vibrant, but I like the idea of an Autumn wedding as well. What about colour? Do you go all white or more softer with creams or pastels for the gown?
I am going to go with white for myself, with perhaps some light blue embroidery around the neck. My bride's maids are going to be in white dresses with a very, very thin (extremely thin) green chiffon covering it that will give it a suggestion of a green tint.

But that brings to mind another question - were brides in ME married in white? Or did they have other colors? Blue? Cream?

-- Folwren
Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
I'd go white... I don't like those backless, topless, strapless, etc dresses at all! LOL

I'd like something short sleeved and not that low necked. But i don't think my taste is very elven. Folwren, that sounds gorgeous!!!
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Hmm...I guess I imagine an elven gown would be flowing and not too wide; made of light fabric, maybe with sheer, draped overlay-ish things and really delicate, intricate embroidery in white-on-white or silver (leaves, vines etc) and a twig/vinelike tiara? Probably a simple "scoop" neckline with embroidered trim or maybe an underlayer, like a chemise, and long, maybe sheer, sleeves that would come to a point or bell out. Something really graceful & ethereal.
Hobbits? Yes, something more country-ish, in a warmer tone of white, maybe sort of a renaissance type thing with a lace up overdress over an underdress & a fuller skirt, and maybe with other colors incorporated ... maybe some golden yellow? And of course, a garland of fresh flowers!
What about dwarven brides? Beribboned beards?
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
do dwarven brides wear dresses?

I guess mine would have short sleeves, not too full, scoop neckline, white.

What about jewelry? I remember one of Eowyn's neckalaces that just went around her neck. Not too tight and not too big. I like neckalaces like that.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:30 AM   #7
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I think Arwen's coronation dress (in the movie) is pretty good. And I love that headpeice, the silver butterfly thing.
My own wedding dress was very classic because I knew that's what my huband liked: sweetheart neckline, puffy shoulders, long fitted sleeves, low v-waist, modest train.

But if I were to plan an elvish wedding, I guess I'd be heavily influenced by the "visions" (yes, in the movie) of elves heading for the Grey Havens. Sea-colors. Soft greens and blues for the bridesmaids. Lots of soft, shommering and flowing fabric that moves well.
--Helen
Old 12-10-2006, 01:15 AM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Interesting question, but I guess we would first have to ask what kind of marrigae rites the elves and the men have before discussing wedding apparel. I believe there was a rather heated debate on the old Lonely Star RPG discussion thread about the nature of elven troth. And, given the absence of other aspects of religious life such as churches and sacred holydays and rituals, one might consider if wedding practices in the sub-created world would mimic those of the Primary World.

Would there, for instance, be any examples of the dowery system? Droit du seigneur? Would any of the species--elven, dwarven, human or hobbit--have hens and stags or, as some times occurs in North America, stag and does? Before planning the wedding dress, shouldn't we first determine whether there would be weddings per se or not?

I'm not trying to shred your lovely ideas of gowns and dresses, just putting in some Middle-earth context.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, they had marriage; although I suppose this could be accomplished by signing a contract, or waking up one morning and telling everyone you're married, I doubt the elves (or hobbits) would have passed up the opportunity for a celebration.

Religion? I think someone who's more familiar with the other writings can speak about this better than I, but I always had the impression the elves did have a religion of sorts; that some of their songs were more hymns or prayers; although I don't imagine they had church buildings (who needs a church when you have Lothlorien?); it seems entirely possible they had holidays, rituals etc.

Of course, a traditional white wedding gown is quite an anachronism (but fun to imagine), since it isn't even universal in our world; but it seems possible that, assuming there was some sort of celebration, there would also be some sort of special garb to go with it...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ok I will overcome my wedding phobia to pass on some factual information (NB I have no objection to marriage per se.... in fact I think it a very good idea for other people but most weddings these days seem to have got completely out of control and whenever I go to one I feel I am in a remake of "4 weddings and a funeral").

Laws and Customs of the Eldar in Morgoth's Ring gives information on wedding customs among the Noldor. "

The Eldar wedded once only in life, and for love or at the least by free will upon either part. Even when in after days, as histories reveal, many of the Eldar in Middle-earth became corrupted, and their hearts darkened by the shadow that lies upon Arda, seldom is any tale told of deeds of lust among them.

Marriage, save for rare ill chances or strange fates, was the natural course of life for all the Eldar. It took place in this way. Those who would afterwards become wedded might choose one another early in youth, even as children (and indeed this happened often in days of peace); but unless they desired soon to be married and were of fitting age, the betrothal awaited the judgement of the parents of either party.

In due time the betrothal was announced at a meeting of the two houses concerned, and the betrothed gave silver rings one to another. According to the laws of the Eldar this betrothal was bound then to stand for one year at least, and it often stood for longer. During this time it could be revoked by a public return of the rings, the rings then being molten and not again used for a betrothal. Such was the law; but the right of revoking was seldom used, for the Eldar do not err lightly in such a choice. They are not easily deceived by their own kind; and their spirits being masters of their bodies, they are seldom swayed by the desires of the body only, but are by nature continent and steadfast.

Nonetheless among the Eldar, even in Aman, the desire for marriage was not always fulfilled. Love was not always returned; and more than one might desire one another for spouse. Concerning this, the only cause by which sorrow entered the bliss of Aman, the Valar were in doubt. Some held that it came from the marring of Arda, and form the Shadow under which the Eldar awaoke; for thence only (they said) comes grief or disorder. Some held that it came of love itself, and of the freedom of each fea, and was a mystery of the nature of the Children of Eru.

After the betrothel it was the part of the betrothed to appoint the time of their wedding, when at least one year had passed. Then at a feast, again shared by the two houses, the marriage was celebrated. At the end of the feast the betrothed stood forth, and the mother of the bride and the father of the bridegroom joined the hands of the pair and blessed them. For this blessing there was a solemn form, but no mortal has heard it; though the Eldar say that Varda was named in witness by the mother and Manwe by the father; and moreover that the name of Eru was spoken (as was seldom done at any other time). The betrothed then received back from the other their silver rings (and treasured them); but they gave in exchange slender rings of gold, which were worn upon the index of the right hand.

Among the Noldor also it was a custon that the bride's mother should give to the bridegroom a jewel upon a chain or collar; and the bridegroom's father should give a like gift to the bride. These gifts were sometimes given before the feast. (Thus the gift of Galadriel to Aragorn, since she was in place of Arwen's mother, was in part a bridal gift and earnest of the wedding that was later accomplished.)

But these ceremonies were not rites necessary to marriage; they were only a gracious mode by which the love of the parents was manifested, and the union was recognized which would join not only the betrothed but their two houses together. It was the act of bodily union that achieved marriage, and after which the indissoluble bond was complete. In happy days and times of peace it was held ungracious and contemptuous of kin to forgo the ceremonies, but it was at all times lawful for any of the Eldar, both bein unwed, to marry thus of free consent on to another without ceremony or witness (save blessings exhanged and the naming of the Name); and the union so joined was alike indissoluble. In days of old, in times of trouble, in flight and exile and wandering, such marriages were often made."
As for hobbits, when Tolkien was trying to start the Hobbit sequel and get round the problem of having said that Bilbo didn't have more adventures he did consider marrying off Bilbo and worked on the idea of Hobbit marriages being terribly secret and only announced when completed.

Tolkien doesn't mention special clothing but this might simply becasue as a heterosexual male it was not an area of interest.... White wedding dresses are a very recent and for most people terribly unflattering tradition. In some countries and cultures white is the colour of mourning and in other red the appropriate colour for brides to wear which would be shocking! (colour symbolism)

White dresses became fashionable because Queen Victoria wore a white dress for her wedding. Previously brides wore any colour apart form red or black. Blue not white was the colour associated with purity. And this symbolism is somewhat superfluous in the Elvish context....

Also in less extravagant times it would only have been the extremely wealthy who could afford the luxury of a dress that would only be worn once (which really is quite decadent if you think about it), so poorer brides would simply wear their best dress. This custom was revived through necessity during WW2 when rationing meant that white wedding dresses were not really and option unless the bride had one passed on to her or was very resourceful with parachute silk. Most brides had to opt for a coloured day dress that could be worn again.

Elves made everything to be beautiful and were so intune with nature that I can't help thinking that they wouldn't be so wasteful as to have a dress to be worn once. My guess is they might have a new dress but not wear it just once...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 12-10-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #11
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Just to add to what Mithalwen has posted, Green is a colour rarely worn (in RL), as it is seen as unlucky. There is a superstition that if the Bride wears green then the faeries will take her away. From a similar origin comes veil wearing, as it was seen to be important to 'protect' a bride lest the faeries see her face and steal her; bridesmaids were also said to be used as further protection, in an effort to 'confuse' tricksy sprites by being confronted with a whole bevy of lasses.

I'm not going to say much about those Elves who 'married' by 'doing the deed', but it does conjour up some strange mood dampening images if they made sure to say their 'blessings' before um...getting down to it.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #12
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Thanks, Mith, for the long excerpt from the book. Wow. I'll warrant that took time typing up!

Bethberry, I've often considered what a marriage would include in ME, or any other fantasy world for that matter. Listening to wedding vows just yesterday, I thought, "Most of what takes place here has to do with God, but in ME, at least with the hobbits, there is no God to place first in life, before your spouse..."

But even without religion and without God, perhaps there are vows never to leave one another? Maybe to remain faithful, to honor, love, and obey until death parts them, or something. There are parts of the wedding and the vows that don't have to do with religion or God that are almost as important.

And as for wedding dresses only being worn once. . . .well, it seems to me that wedding dresses don't have to be made to be only worn once. It's a huge waste of a thousand dollars much of the time. My wedding dress isn't going to be very expensive (as wedding dresses go) and I am deffinitely going to wear it often, so long as I can fit into it. I think that elves could at least wear their dress again. Hobbits probably could, too. Just because they have a special dress for their wedding doesn't mean they can't wear it again.

I think white has been a traditional color for weddings for a long time. The Bible often mentions the Bride wearing white. In that book, white is the color of purity.
But even so! They could definitely wear other colors.

-- Folwren
Old 12-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #13
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Just to add to what Mithalwen has posted, Green is a colour rarely worn (in RL), as it is seen as unlucky. There is a superstition that if the Bride wears green then the faeries will take her away. From a similar origin comes veil wearing, as it was seen to be important to 'protect' a bride lest the faeries see her face and steal her; bridesmaids were also said to be used as further protection, in an effort to 'confuse' tricksy sprites by being confronted with a whole bevy of lasses.
Oh, that's interesting. I'd better tell my sister that Green's unlucky. She wants it, I think, in her wedding dress.

Quote:
I'm not going to say much about those Elves who 'married' by 'doing the deed', but it does conjour up some strange mood dampening images if they made sure to say their 'blessings' before um...getting down to it.
I don't understand. What do you mean, 'it does conjur up some strange mood dampening images if they made sure to say their 'blessings' before'? The fact they have to go through the ceremony is mood dampening?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I don't understand. What do you mean, 'it does conjur up some strange mood dampening images if they made sure to say their 'blessings' before'? The fact they have to go through the ceremony is mood dampening?
No, not the fact of a ceremony, it seems that Tolkien is saying they did not have to have a ceremony at all, that the very act of sleeping with someone formed a marriage, so long as they mentioned the names of Varda, Manwe and Eru as they got on with it. I'm of course speaking from a Western, modern, sex-outside-marriage-is-OK point of view, not as an Elf, and would find such a thing not very appealing. However, this is one of those instances where we can find Tolkien's Catholicism, as to sleep with someone is (was?) very much taken to be a declaration of consummation of a relationship, and if I am not mistaken, at one time non-consummation of a relationship was acceptable reason for a fully endorsed divorce? I think Henry VIII divorced Anne of Cleves quickly for this very reason.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Something old, something new....

No I cut and pasted someone elses typing and corrected the typos I noticed....

Lal is right in saying green is peceived as unlucky for a wedding dress. Folwren - I would be interested to have refs for the biblical brides - it is not something I ever noticed - and it seems strange since in the Middle East where it originated it is the colour of death I wonder if it is a cultural rather than literal translation.

White is the colour of innocence but also of sterility. The virgin Mary is usually given blue garments in art because of its symbolism. However I think it is a bit of a side alley to apply modern Christian custom too much to the Lord of the Rings since that was not it's culture , more profitable perhaps to look at what information the book gives us. There isn't a lot basically but what there is seems closer to earlier marriage customs for people of relatively high status - in many case of course there were originally no rites and marriage was established by living as husband and wife (I did some research into for background for a Rohan rpg).

However in more formal situations ther were three parts to marriage - the public exchange of vows (troth plighting - more formal and binding than a modern engagement), the marriage contract arranged between the man and the bride's father, and the handing over of the bride to her husband. Now Aragorn and Arwen plighted their troth on Cerin Amroth (privately?) but it became public knowledge and Elrond's proviso re Aragorn becoming king could be seen as a contract laying out of the conditions for marriage. When these are met the bride is taken to the groom and her hand laid in his. With Faramir and Eowyn, their private agreement is made public by her closest male relative in lieu of her father, there is a public troth plighting and later she will go to Gondor ( implied in her pledge to return after Theoden is buried).

With modern weddings the troth plighting (cf the "Book of Common Prayer" marriage service) the contract and the handing over of the bride from father to husband (symbolically at least) happen on the same day if the religious service fulfils the legal requirements. In the UK church weddings usually do though other religions may need a separate civil ceremony and in France only civil ceremonies are legal and often take place on a different day to any religious service.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
No, not the fact of a ceremony, it seems that Tolkien is saying they did not have to have a ceremony at all, that the very act of sleeping with someone formed a marriage, so long as they mentioned the names of Varda, Manwe and Eru as they got on with it. ...... and if I am not mistaken, at one time non-consummation of a relationship was acceptable reason for a fully endorsed divorce? I think Henry VIII divorced Anne of Cleves quickly for this very reason.

Oh Lal I think the vows were at the feast before not during..... at least I hope so.....!!!!! That would be a bit weird but reminds me of a very rude joke .

Non-consummation is still grounds for annulment ... and ...well I remember quite an interesting case a few years ago regarding the validity of a Catholic marriage .. but if you want to know about that PM ....

Old 12-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #17
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I suspect the choice of white came about in Victorian times for dresses more as a symbol of wealth and status - a family announcing that they had enough money to splash out on a thoroughly impractical item of clothing that could not be used again, and possibly as a 'sign' of how delicate and precious their dear daughter was (i.e. not the type who'd get it covered in dirt in the kitchen, nor the type to go and get tell-tale grass stains on her frock ).

There is a 'public declaration' before marriage in the UK - banns must be published and read out on Sundays for three weeks in advance of a church marriage, and for a civil marriage the names of the couple must be published on the notice board in the registry office for 21 days in advance of the date. Prevents 'Britney style' weddings...

Quote:
It was the act of bodily union that achieved marriage, and after which the indissoluble bond was complete. In happy days and times of peace it was held ungracious and contemptuous of kin to forgo the ceremonies, but it was at all times lawful for any of the Eldar, both bein unwed, to marry thus of free consent on to another without ceremony or witness (save blessings exhanged and the naming of the Name); and the union so joined was alike indissoluble
Now, tell me I have a warped mind if needs must , but I know what that looks like. It looks to me like sleeping together was the actual act that caused two Elves to 'be married' (as opposed to taking rings or signing a book) and they could forgo the ceremony if necessary. Just so long as they said their blessings. Eol and Aredhel must have married in this way, as I don't remember any other Elves being around in his woods.

Saves money anyway...
Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 AM   #18
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes...it would have been ... though that case is problematic since there was a suggestion that Eol in some versions had taken her by force... however the forgoing of hte ceremonies certainly annoyed the relatives...

There is a foot note to LACE that states that Beren and Luthien could have contracted a legal marriage in the wilds but that it was a matter of honour to respect Thingol's conditions.

Those of us of a certain age who remember the omnipresent "Princess Di" haircut will find it only too easy to believe that Queen Victoria's choice of dress would have started a longlasting fashion ...so many "old english traditions" hail from her time.

Of course elves would have no particular need to have wedding clothes symbolising purity since they were by definition pure....

Old 12-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #19
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, gosh, that idea seems sickeningly grotesque to me. I rather like the idea of ceremony first.... Leastways, I always thought better of the elves.

Aaannnyyyy way, I think the topic wandered down a road I am not comfortable with. Now that we are aware that there was at least some sort of ceremony for weddings (regardless of whether it was before or after the act of acting like man and wife), can we not speculate that they might have worn a new dress of some sort? Surely they would have! It is, after all, a special occasion.

-- Folwren

P.S. Mith, I will find those parts in the bible that it mentions white, and the bride, and purity, and will PM them to you.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #20
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Last work - I promise

Well I wouldn't let it upset you Folwren, I read it that the vows were the essential part of the ceremony - as they are now, and that the act of union was the consummation ie "completion" - as is regarded by the Catholic church now. I think LACE is perhaps the most Catholic of all Tolkiens writings on Middle Earth. I don't know what "better" you can ask of the Elves than making a binding and indisoluble commitment to one other person for ever - and ever being the duration of the world. If you read LACE it is clear that Elves are not dominated by desires of the flesh and the physical union is a means to complete spiritual union. I guess that is the danger of quoting only part a text.... Ideally the vows are exchanged in the presence of their families but this is not essential. I suppose the absence of witnesses and a "priest" seems odd to us but since the elves could't deceive another elf as to their marital status (also in LACE I think) witnesses weren't necessary and there were no priests. The Quakers have extremely simple marriage services (and no priests) , the couple make this simple vow to each other.

" Friends, I take this my friend, (name), to be my husband/wife, promising, through Divine assistance , to be unto him/her a loving and faithful husband/wife, so long as we both on earth shall live."

That I would guess is probably as close as you would get to day to Elvish practice.

Oh I said in my first post that I thought a new dress but worn after was my best guess I do like your idea of being married in a wood though a beech one would be more elven and beechwoods are like outdoor cathedrals. Although there are far fewer restrictions on wedding locations here now I don't think you can get married in an open space which is rather sad.

I also agree with you about wedding dress designs - maybe it is my age or my mother's influence but I don't think bare shoulders are appropriate for church weddings (and english churches are a bit chilly even in summer) and think those evening dress styles need a little jacket or at least a wrap for the service ..they are also a bit too structured for my idea of elvish dress. I can't imagine an elf wearing a "boned" dress - it seems against their nature to be so restricted and lucky things dont need the structure to restrain or support...

I do think the films did quite well on the frock front - I went to the LOTR exhibition and Galadriel's beaded dress really did seem to emanate light - quite lovely and they had Arwen's blue velvet with silver underdress which was good too though the neckline looked a bit too wide in the film... I wish they would do another exhibition with the later costumes in since I would have loved to see Eowyn's clothes and jewellery too. I think that the Elves would favour lighter, floatier fabric, maybe with embroidery, whereas the gondorians might go for heavier, richer fabric like velvet and brocade, damask silk - more renaissance style/late medieaval. Rohan I do see as more Anglo Saxon/early medieaval - a bit like the Queen Mother's wedding dress. Hobbits being simpler folk - shepherdess / milkmaid styles and their love of bright colour might mean that green and yellow might have been the preferred hues.

Also need to bear in mind that they might have been more limited in the choice of fabrics - linen and wool only maybe - and dyes. Many colours have only relatively recently become available due to modern chemical processes. Some colours such as deep red, purple and true white and black were extremely expensive. Use of teh more expensive colours would be a status symbol perhaps. Poorer folk would have to make do with the coulours obtainable from plants.

I imagine Hobbits would have worn flowers in their hair and many elves too - though they might wear diadems /tiara type headdresses . Wearing a jewel on a filet on the brow is a possibility too - like Erendis. Elvish dresses may have been designed to set off the jewellery given as a wedding gifts which presumably were worn at the ceremony.

History

Last edited by Mithalwen; 12-11-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #21
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
im srry im not a girl or a ladie but i had to say this. wouldent it be cool if your wedding dress was based on the witch king of angmar???

*edit

srry forget what i said.

Last edited by FeRaL sHaDoW; 12-11-2006 at 10:31 PM. Reason: being mean
FeRaL sHaDoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #22
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

umm.... i can't imagine how that would look.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #23
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

I don't know, it could be a Goth wedding. An old friend of mine had a Goth wedding, black and purple dress covered in lace with a black veil and her husband in frock coat, top hat and with a cane. They rode to the ceremony in a carriage drawn by four black horses.

And a dragon 'theme' might be very cool (dressing as a dragon might not be, though), especially if you were Welsh or married on St George's Day.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #24
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
A flowing, forgiving a-line dress perhaps.

I would like a dress in an emerald green colour (velvet would be nice!) with gold embroidered celtic trim along the edges of the V neckline, full long 'flared' sleeves, over skirt and for the belt.The under skirt and sleeve lining can be in a contrasting colour. It has a corseted back.

Now I only need Prince charmin' *sigh*

Click here to have a look at what I am thinking of.

I found a great site specialising in Medieval & Elvish Wedding gowns the link is here.
________
married woman Webcams

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 AM   #25
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Leaf

I am also going to breake the rule about only females on this threat, but if it will make you feel better I could shave off the beard and put on a dress before posting.

anywas I found it interesting what Mith said about Queen Victoria and that you did not wear red and black. Before white became custom in Denmark, it was tradition to wear black. Black was what you wore on important occations, so of course the wedding dress was black.

I could picture a "black" elven wedding, but it is hard. . .because today you think sorrow when you see an all black dress.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well I guess it depend what you are used to .. in many countries they would see our white dresses and associate them with mourning ..and even with relatively similar cultures, you can have differences, for example, I find it very odd to see American weddings on TV and the bridesmaids going up the aisle ahead of the bride....

Monochrome doesn't seem elvish to my mind.... despite the evidence of Galadriel and Nimrodel.... I would think there is a case for blue being a likely colour. It is "natural" but not as unobtrusive as greys greens and browns so more appropriate for special occasions, it suits their colouring and is the colour of the heavens and so perhaps worn as a token of veneration of Manwe and Varda who are named as witness at the marriage ceremonies which presumably since they followed a feast were held in the evening.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #27
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Well I guess it depend what you are used to .. in many countries they would see our white dresses and associate them with mourning ..and even with relatively similar cultures, you can have differences, for example, I find it very odd to see American weddings on TV and the bridesmaids going up the aisle ahead of the bride....
Out of curiosity, why do you find that odd? I never thought about it, being American and that being how it always is. But the funny thing is, when my brother got married, my sisters and I were all bridesmaids, and we came with her. It was really cool, because most of the walk from the house to the place of the wedding, the guests and the groom couldn't see us, so we were walking through a silent woodland, all four of us girls surounding the bride. It was very beautiful, if I say so myself.
That's the only wedding our family has had so far, and it was very untraditional. But I loved it and think I shall do the same thing in many things.

Quote:
Monochrome doesn't seem elvish to my mind.... despite the evidence of Galadriel and Nimrodel.... I would think there is a case for blue being a likely colour. It is "natural" but not as unobtrusive as greys greens and browns so more appropriate for special occasions, it suits their colouring and is the colour of the heavens and so perhaps worn as a token of veneration of Manwe and Varda who are named as witness at the marriage ceremonies which presumably since they followed a feast were held in the evening.
Yes, blue is a color I think would be possible... Not only is it the color of the sky, as you mentioned, but it tends to make one think of water, when it's a light blue. Not that water is particularly blue all the time, but it is sometime, and people sometimes tend to think of it as blue.
Anyhow, I think water was also important to the elves.

Rune, I only said 'Girls and Ladies' because I didn't think gentlemen would be very interested in the topic. I wanted to give them fair warning. Some guys are disgusted with conversations about wedding dresses. (You should hear my brother... )

-- Folwren
Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #28
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elonve
I found a great site specialising in Medieval & Elvish Wedding gowns the link is here.
Oh dear. I found a dress I want...
Old 02-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #29
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Oh dear. I found a dress I want...
That is lovely.

I really wish I could get a picture of the one I want up here.

-- Folwren