The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Searches

How would one go about searching for a particular thread or topic on the Downs? I've been here forever and am still inexperienced in this field.

-- Folwren
Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
How would one go about searching for a particular thread or topic on the Downs? I've been here forever and am still inexperienced in this field.

-- Folwren
Go to "Search" (in one of those bars near the top of the page). If that gives too many replies, try it again and select "advanced". Then you'll get a number of options that will help you refine the search.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Clicking the "Search" button above between "Calendar" and "Active Topics" allows one to look for keywords in each particular subforum of your choice. You can have the results as threads or individual posts. You can also search by member.

x/d with Nerwen
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
The site has a pretty powerful search tool, but I've also found that Google can be pretty persuasive in coaxing lost threads out of the aether. Try using site:forum.barrowdowns.com as the first term, then whatever you're trying to search on. Note that terms in quotes will return that exact phrase -- this is what can make Google a little more powerful than the native search feature.

So for instance, if I wanted to find a particular post that I remember from a thread that was about Arwen, and Esty posted in it, and I remembered that somebody used the phrase "it will teach him wisdom" in the thread, I could search like this:
Code:
site:forum.barrowdowns.com arwen "estelyn telcontar" "it will teach him wisdom"
...and it will pull the exact thread I'm looking for. It's a good way to make a very narrow search if you remember some key phrase from an old thread.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote