The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
Vultur
Pile O'Bones

Vultur has just left Hobbiton.
The size of Morgoth and Sauron

How big do you imagine Morgoth's form (when he became locked into one shape, 'a dark lord, tall and terrible') was? I always imagined him absolutely towering over Fingolfin, three or four times his height; the description of his fight with Fingolfin suggests immense size, 'the rumour of his feet as like thunder', 'he stood before the King like a tower', his shield 'cast a shadow over him [Fingolfin] like a stormcloud', and when Morgoth sets a foot on Fingolfin 'the weight of it was like a fallen hill'. Also, when Luthien enchanted him to sleep, 'he fell, as a hill sliding in avalanche'. But I saw a webpage that pointed out that the line 'Morgoth set his left foot upon his [Fingolfin's] neck' suggests that Morgoth wasn't that huge, else he'd just be standing on Fingolfin as a whole. So how big do you imagine him as?

For comparison, in one of his letters Tolkien says that Sauron's incarnate form was 'of more than human stature, but not gigantic'. Fairly vague, but I tend to imagine him taller than Elendil and Gil-galad, but not overpoweringly so -- a head or so taller. (Elendil himself was ludicrously tall, though.) I imagine Sauron's form was much smaller than that of Morgoth...
Vultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
(Elendil himself was ludicrously tall, though.)
If you mean almost eight feet (gleaned from Unfinished Tales) there is other late text which de-biggens Elendil... well, I consider it variant from Unfinished Tales anyway.

'Aragorn, direct descendant of Elendil and his son Isildur, both of whom had been seven feet tall, must nonetheless have been a very tall man…, probably at least 6 ft. 6; and Boromir, of high Númenorean lineage, not much shorter (say 6 ft. 4).' JRRT

Published by Hammond and Scull in their Reader's Companion to The Lord of the Rings. I don't know if it's possible to find out which text is later than the other however.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
That's an interesting question. There's been something similar covered by people recently in this topic. To cite my personal opinion from there, I think the size of Morgoth and Sauron and even Maiar in general (think Balrog!) was more about the impression than about physical height. I don't know how to express it so that it is perfectly clear, but hope you understand what I mean when I say it like this: it is not that you would put Sauron or Morgoth on a scale and say "21 feet, 800 pounds, next please". I am sure, for example, that the Orcs did not have to build special new entrance and raise ceilings in Cirith Ungol for the possibility that Sauron might come to an inspection and would not fit into the rooms. If he really came (of course, we are talking all hypothetically here), he would fit - somehow. But when you saw him, you could not be sure, and at that moment his presence would overwhelm you to the point that you won't be able to think of how tall he exactly is. And once you were away from his presence and tried to imagine, you'd think "well, I am sure he was taller than me - a lot - he was taller than the door - terrible..." but again, you won't have anything that will help you exactly determine the height. It is as if you had some spooky experience, like that you are walking in a forest at night and suddenly something big and black with shining eyes appears between the trees... and it was only your neighbor's dog who might not be as big, but the impression in your mind is a lot different, and if you tried to determine how exactly big it was, you cannot do it from your memory. That's the impression I get from the description of Balrog, and I think it will be very fitting to see Sauron or Morgoth the same.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Vultur
Pile O'Bones

Vultur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
If you mean almost eight feet (gleaned from Unfinished Tales) there is other late text which de-biggens Elendil... well, I consider it variant from Unfinished Tales anyway.

'Aragorn, direct descendant of Elendil and his son Isildur, both of whom had been seven feet tall, must nonetheless have been a very tall man…, probably at least 6 ft. 6; and Boromir, of high Númenorean lineage, not much shorter (say 6 ft. 4).' JRRT

Published by Hammond and Scull in their Reader's Companion to The Lord of the Rings. I don't know if it's possible to find out which text is later than the other however.

Hmm. I did mean the eight foot height.

I meant ludicrous by modern standards though; I don't have any real problem with an almost 8' Elendil, as the Numenoreans were notably taller than modern humans. (Apparently 6'4" was 'man-height'; the average US male height is 5'9", so Numenoreans in general were huge.)
Vultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I just keep seeing Rick Moranis reprising his role as Dark Helmet from Spaceballs.

But this time, he is Sauron, looking every bit a tall and menacing Dark Lord --
that is, until he reaches for a Palantir and it turns out he's 5 feet tall.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
I just keep seeing Rick Moranis reprising his role as Dark Helmet from Spaceballs.

But this time, he is Sauron, looking every bit a tall and menacing Dark Lord --
that is, until he reaches for a Palantir and it turns out he's 5 feet tall.
Good lord, this makes me think of part of a Star Wars parody I wrote for our SF club about 30 years ago. "Darth Mordor. One meter tall. Bipedal. Flowing black robes dragging on the floor...." How time flies...
Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I see it now...

The Mouth: "You're needed at the palantír, Your Dark Lordship."
Sauron (hastily covering what he was doing with cloak of darkness): "KNOCK ON MY DOOR! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU TO KNOCK ON MY DOOR!"
The Mouth: "Yes, Your Dark Lordship."
Sauron: "Did you see anything?"
The Mouth: "No, Your Dark Lordship, I didn't see you playing with your Galadriel puppet again."
Old 08-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I see it now...

The Mouth: "You're needed at the palantír, Your Dark Lordship."
Sauron (hastily covering what he was doing with cloak of darkness): "KNOCK ON MY DOOR! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU TO KNOCK ON MY DOOR!"
The Mouth: "Yes, Your Dark Lordship."
Sauron: "Did you see anything?"
The Mouth: "No, Your Dark Lordship, I didn't see you playing with your Galadriel puppet again."
Oh, my.... I don't see him liking her.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
And I see Madeline Kahn as Galadriel and Mel Brooks as Celeborn:
(To Frodo as he leaves Lorien)
"May the Schwartz be with you."