The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #10561
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
2. Could be Iluvatar, who killed Pharazon, who stole the title from Miriel...

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #10562
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

And if so, then the clues in parenthesis lead to the kings they've killed.

For Naugrim, it's Thingol (narrow = thin + log backwards), and for Eldacar, it's Castamir (cast a mir)

Old 01-14-2021, 09:08 AM   #10563
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

And 4 is for Telemnar (tel em nah)

Old 01-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #10564
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Well, the theme (and the password) could be 'kingslayers'
It could and it is be. GoT reference unintentional though; I was thinking of this, but I see that's kingkiller...

Quote:
And if so, then the clues in parenthesis lead to the kings they've killed.

For Naugrim, it's Thingol (narrow = thin + log backwards), and for Eldacar, it's Castamir (cast a mir)
Quote:
And 4 is for Telemnar (tel em nah)
Yes and yes, and you're right, that's what the (parens) are for.

Quote:
2. Could be Iluvatar, who killed Pharazon, who stole the title from Miriel...
This is not right; Pharazon isn't dead! But Miriel is the slain...

1. K - The crown of the north, ruled mother in anger. (Would make money but for you)
2. I - Wet, not out, half under, a Nation without a capital. (Her title stolen) killed Tar-Miriel of Numenor
NAUGRIM - "I say, it's now grim, little ones." (Narrow the log backwards) killed Thingol of Doriath
GREAT PLAGUE - Grand and very 2020: the ruin of Gondor. (Tell them no with a thick accent) killed Telemnar of Gondor
5. S - Odd power, between a shin and neck both missing something, going down. (One way or another, the last.)
6. L - In the shadow, girl abs? No, that's both backwards - except the plural - and wrong at once; who's in charge? (I said he's gone, but he was thin first)
7. A - With his brother - or cousin - he said, "Anger might, eh?" (But for a couple of letters, he could dig for a herb)
YRCH - Your chai has no vowels, fallen ones. (Noted for his hair, I hear) killed Isildur of the Realms in Exile
ELDACAR - An elf's vehicle, or a rightful king. (Throw an elven jewel) killed Castamir of Gondor
10. R - Not to roll, hardly. (The son of the sun)
SNOWMANE - A horse with cold fur. (Almost definitely a god) killed Theoden of Rohan

Quote:
...But technically, Eldacar didn't kill a king, but an usurper...
Only if you accept the assertion that a non-Dunadan can be king of the Numenorean Exiles. If you're a racist Gondorian, that idea would be enough to... well... kick off a violent revolt that put a pure-blood on the throne for a whole decade, and was overthrown not by the people of Gondor itself, but by a bunch of grubby northmen of exactly the breed they were worried about.

My list of possible kings included not only Castamir, but also Pharazon, Wulf of Rohan, and Maglor as heir of Maedhros. I even had stewards and Lords of the Eored on there! ... though I've just now realise I forgot to consider Orodreth.

Anyway, I've just checked, and I think Miriel is the only titular non-king on the list.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #10565
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Well, 'wave' doesn't begin with 'I' as far as I know...

Old 01-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #10566
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

4 is rock

Old 01-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #10567
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

7. Angamaite (and Minardil)

Old 01-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #10568
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

1 doesn't begin with 'K', but it could be the Witch King.

Old 01-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #10569
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
2 is INUNDATION, I think. The great wave/flooding/drowning of Numenor. Miriel was drowned back home in Numenor, I think.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #10570
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
4 is rock
Quote:
7. Angamaite (and Minardil)
Quote:
1 doesn't begin with 'K', but it could be the Witch King.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
2 is INUNDATION, I think. The great wave/flooding/drowning of Numenor. Miriel was drowned back home in Numenor, I think.
Yes to all four (#1 is specifically "King of Angmar"). Will fill them in tomorrow.

hS
Old 01-15-2021, 02:56 AM   #10571
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

KING OF ANGMAR - The crown of the north, ruled mother in anger. (Would make money but for you) killed Earnur of Gondor
INUNDATION - Wet, not out, half under, a Nation without a capital. (Her title stolen) killed Tar-Miriel of Numenor
NAUGRIM - "I say, it's now grim, little ones." (Narrow the log backwards) killed Thingol of Doriath
GREAT PLAGUE - Grand and very 2020: the ruin of Gondor. (Tell them no with a thick accent) killed Telemnar of Gondor
5. S - Odd power, between a shin and neck both missing something, going down. (One way or another, the last.)
6. L - In the shadow, girl abs? No, that's both backwards - except the plural - and wrong at once; who's in charge? (I said he's gone, but he was thin first)
ANGAMAITE - With his brother - or cousin - he said, "Anger might, eh?" (But for a couple of letters, he could dig for a herb) killed Minardil of Gondor
YRCH - Your chai has no vowels, fallen ones. (Noted for his hair, I hear) killed Isildur of the Realms in Exile
ELDACAR - An elf's vehicle, or a rightful king. (Throw an elven jewel) killed Castamir of Gondor
ROCK - Not to roll, hardly. (The son of the sun) killed Anarion of Gondor
SNOWMANE - A horse with cold fur. (Almost definitely a god) killed Theoden of Rohan

Inundation was in + und(er) + (N)ation.

I've just had to triple check that Anarion was considered a king; apparently he was co-king with Isildur. Is that the only true joint kingship in Middle-earth? Pharazon and Miriel don't count.

hS
Old 01-15-2021, 04:24 AM   #10572
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Does 'und' count as half of 'under'? I'd say, more like, 3/5ths, but that's just me...

Old 01-15-2021, 04:26 AM   #10573
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post

I've just had to triple check that Anarion was considered a king; apparently he was co-king with Isildur. Is that the only true joint kingship in Middle-earth? Pharazon and Miriel don't count.

hS
Damn right they do not.

Last edited by Urwen; 01-15-2021 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:40 AM   #10574
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Does 'und' count as half of 'under'? I'd say, more like, 3/5ths, but that's just me...
I mean, I can mark the answer as incorrect if you like...

Quote:
Damn right they do not.
I suppose Tar-Vanimelde and Herucalmo could count, but he wasn't officially king until after her death (and frankly, I wonder whether the whole 'she was so flighty her husband had to do the work' isn't a Pharazonist lie concocted to justify refusing Miriel the sceptre). Celeborn and Galadriel blatantly rule jointly, but even she claims that Celeborn is in charge; similarly Thingol and Melian.

I think the closest to actual, acknowledged and official joint rule I can think of is Angrod and Aegnor as joint Lords of Dorthonion.

hS
Old 01-15-2021, 07:35 AM   #10575
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Come to the dark side, Huinesoron...embrace the feminist ideology...we have cookies...and spaghetti...

Old 01-15-2021, 07:45 AM   #10576
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Come to the dark side, Huinesoron...embrace the feminist ideology...we have cookies...and spaghetti...
Oh, I've been over there a long time. ^_~

"Oh, just come out and say it," Tuor said. "You don't want to put a woman on the throne."

"There's not exactly a precedent," Oropher said. "No woman has ever ruled in Beler-"

"Haleth," Tuor said, then smirked. "Oh, I'm sorry, I was just thinking. Do go on."

"... amongst the Eldar," Guilin said, lowering his brows at the Man, "the High King has always been a... King."

-Regency Council

hS
Old 01-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #10577
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Back to the password, 6 must be Lord of Balrogs.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #10578
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Back to the password, 6 must be Lord of Balrogs.
Oh yeah, password... correct.

KING OF ANGMAR - The crown of the north, ruled mother in anger. (Would make money but for you) killed Earnur of Gondor
INUNDATION - Wet, not out, half under, a Nation without a capital. (Her title stolen) killed Tar-Miriel of Numenor
LORD OF BALROGS - In the shadow, girl abs? No, that's both backwards - except the plural - and wrong at once; who's in charge? (I said he's gone, but he was thin first) killed Fingon of the Noldor
ANGAMAITE - With his brother - or cousin - he said, "Anger might, eh?" (But for a couple of letters, he could dig for a herb) killed Minardil of Gondor

Just one to go! The shin and neck are both missing the same thing.

hS
Old 01-15-2021, 09:31 AM   #10579
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I get it. If we remove even letters from power, we have pwr. And so ((Shin-n)+pwr + (neck-n)) = shi+pwr+eck.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #10580
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
I get it. If we remove even letters from power, we have pwr. And so ((Shin-n)+pwr + (neck-n)) = shi+pwr+eck.
Spot on exactly.

SHIPWRECK - Odd power, between a shin and neck both missing something, going down. (One way or another, the last.) killed Arvedui of Arthedain
LORD OF BALROGS - In the shadow, girl abs? No, that's both backwards - except the plural - and wrong at once; who's in charge? (I said he's gone, but he was thin first) killed Fingon of the Noldor

Fun fact: at least two kings were killed by shipwreck, the other being Earnil I of Gondor. Second fun fact: as best I can tell, Tar-Miriel is the only Numenorean ruler to die of anything other than old age or 'yielding up their life'. Not counting Pharazon the King Under The Hill, and Tar-Telperien the Witch-Queen. ^_~

Over to you, Urwen!

hS
Old 01-15-2021, 09:59 AM   #10581
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I wonder if we could count Eowyn & Merry as king-killers for killing the aforementioned King of Angmar.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #10582
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Either way, you'll love this one, you will.

1. She reflects an untruth, an edge and a rodent. (Until the very end.)
2. A broken trunk. Untruth switches vowels, for her ("Fear my umbrella!")
3. You, we hear, confused the Nazgul (Could drown them as well.)
4. Add a note to a broken promenade and see her ("I wanted my own place."
5. A jumbled story between double hydrogen, for her ("I reject your offer.")

6. Note, related to an enclosed membrane, windingly, for her (...Or else you might get speared)
7. She reflects victory within returning endless joy (Like a bird set free)
8. Objectively, I...return the tack. (Gives good advice)
9. Egyptian God returns. When, we hear. For her.(Freedom of choice is the true freedom.)
10. An university, a definite article and a direction are in disarray for her (I believe in love)
11. 'Eh?' you hear her say 'Oh, victory." (A victory indeed.)
12. An endless Australian city (with a vowel switch), repeatedly. Reflect it for her. (Petty, many would say)

(Clues in parenthesis might help you in this one. ^_^)

Old 01-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #10583
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
I think the closest to actual, acknowledged and official joint rule I can think of is Angrod and Aegnor as joint Lords of Dorthonion.
Thrones only seat one, clearly?

What about Amrod and Amras? I always imagine them together, but I can't actually recall if they split up their lands.

5. HALETH: H + TALE + H, rejected Caranthir's offer

2. probably LOBELIA, but I can only explain LI(E/A).

8. MELIAN: ME + NAIL
Old 01-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #10584
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

LOBELIA: A broken trunk. Untruth switches vowels, for her ("Fear my umbrella!")
HALETH: A jumbled story between double hydrogen, for her ("I reject your offer.")

6. Note, related to an enclosed membrane, windingly, for her (...Or else you might get speared)
7. She reflects victory within returning endless joy (Like a bird set free)
MELIAN: Objectively, I...return the tack. (Gives good advice)
9. Egyptian God returns. When, we hear. For her.(Freedom of choice is the true freedom.)
10. An university, a definite article and a direction are in disarray for her (I believe in love)
11. 'Eh?' you hear her say 'Oh, victory." (A victory indeed.)
12. An endless Australian city (with a vowel switch), repeatedly. Reflect it for her. (Petty, many would say)

Old 01-15-2021, 02:09 PM   #10585
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
7. ELWING: WIN + GLE(E)

11. EOWYN: Eh + Oh + Win
Old 01-15-2021, 02:18 PM   #10586
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

LOBELIA: A broken trunk. Untruth switches vowels, for her ("Fear my umbrella!")
HALETH: A jumbled story between double hydrogen, for her ("I reject your offer.")

ELWING: She reflects victory within returning endless joy (Like a bird set free)
MELIAN: Objectively, I...return the tack. (Gives good advice)
EOWYN: 'Eh?' you hear her say 'Oh, victory." (A victory indeed.)

Old 01-17-2021, 06:55 AM   #10587
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The spearing clue suggests perhaps FINDUILAS for 6? (Well, it starts with a note ....)
Old 01-18-2021, 12:48 PM   #10588
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

That awkward moment when you make a password for someone to try solving, and that person doesn't try at all...

Old 01-18-2021, 03:22 PM   #10589
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
That awkward moment when you make a password for someone to try solving, and that person doesn't try at all...
Ooh, is the password GUILT TRIP and the theme 'sometimes people need a break even from games'?

#1 includes 'reflects... rodent', which suggests it's a TAR. Good news, there's only four women on that list, and this one must be LIE RIM - I mean, TAR MIRIEL.

#3 I wanted to go Movieverse and say ARWEN, but that doesn't contain an anagram of anything Nazgully. So who else has a water link...? Oh, it must be U NINE... sorry, UINEN.

#10 believes in love? I'm thinking UNI THE L... sorry, LUTHIEN.

Which gives TOU_H | _EM_LE_, which I'm thinking translates as TOUGH FEMALES.

So for #9 the god is RA. WEN? When it's time for ARWEN.

And #12, I'm less sure on, but SIDNEY without the Y can be paired with RE(peatedly) and reversed for ERENDIS. Though I think the city is spelt with a Y rather than an I.

hS
Old 01-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #10590
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Ooh, is the password GUILT TRIP and the theme 'sometimes people need a break even from games'?
I'd like you to say this when you're bored and have nothing else to do, but fine. Be insensitive to someone else's boredom. Next time you are bored, I will give you a cold shoulder like you did to me now. See how you'd like it.

You think you're the only person that matters, don't you? Who cares if someone else is bored out of their mind and can only entertain themselves at this point of time?

Well, then, go back to your precious break while I die of boredom. Hope my dead soul haunts you forever, murderer.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:31 PM   #10591
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
I'd like you to say this when you're bored and have nothing else to do, but fine. Be insensitive to someone else's boredom. Next time you are bored, I will give you a cold shoulder like you did to me now. See how you'd like it.
I didn't think this needed saying, but yes: if you're - and I do mean you, personally, as well as anyone else - unable to cope with forum games, or you're bored with them, or even if you just don't feel like playing them, yes, you're absolutely entitled to take a break from them even if other people would like to play. I feel like if you need to pull back while you're the password setter it's probably polite to say so that someone else can take over; but if you're just a guesser, you're the only person who gets to say whether you play or not.

hS

Quote:
You think you're the only person that matters, don't you? Who cares if someone else is bored out of their mind and can only entertain themselves at this point of time?

Well, then, go back to your precious break while I die of boredom. Hope my dead soul haunts you forever, murderer.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #10592
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Whatever, be a selfish bastard.

I officially declare this round dead since you people would rather see me dead than show concern for anyone else but yourselves.

Well, I will do the same. I will never post here again.

I made this round because I wanted to do you a favor, but you just proclaimed that you would happily see me die of boredom for your precious break.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #10593
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I will now die of boredom. Hope you're happy.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #10594
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

And no, I am not allowing anyone else to take over either.

You all declared time and time again that you would rather see all the games on here die than play them. Stick to your words. You don't want to play, so let this game die like you repeatedly said you would.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:03 PM   #10595
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

I'm curious, Urwen - in your mind, have our recent sparse interactions included a prolonged conversation where you declared yourself deathly bored and told me you really needed me to try your Password, and I ignored your appeal, possibly by insulting you?

Because my memory is that none of that happened; that the first time you mentioned boredom at all is after I'd already replied to your oblique request that I try this Password by, in fact, trying this Password.

If the first thing somehow happened lately, please show me where, because I must have meant something very different to what you heard.

Of course, if you don't feel able to reply to this - for any reason or no reason - as I said earlier, that call is yours alone to make. Nobody here has the right to anyone else's time.

hS
Old 01-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #10596
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

You and Galadriel both ignored my appeal to play. Twice. In the past year. And also proclaimed you have the right not to play even at the expense of other people's happiness/thread being continued. Also repeatedly.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:49 PM   #10597
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
You and Galadriel both ignored my appeal to play. Twice. In the past year. And also proclaimed you have the right not to play even at the expense of other people's happiness/thread being continued. Also repeatedly.
Yes. The Downs is not a job, nor is it family (to whom I do hold myself obligated to respond), nor are any of us any manner of founder or community leader. Therefore, none of us - you, me, anyone - are required to participate.

You have the right to ask people to do so, but they have the right to choose whether to. On this occasion, I felt up to it, and not overly put-off by your way of asking. On other occasions, I have felt differently.

Given that you're reacting this way on an occasion I did what you asked for (sort of asked), I can only guess there's something happening in your life which has got you on edge. For that I'm sympathetic, but it doesn't make it okay to lash out at me like this.

Nor does it make the Password thread suitable for going so far off topic, so, whether you're interested or not:

I think #4 is GALADRIEL, based on the letter and (paren). The G could be a note, but can't really do the rest of it.

hS
Old 01-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #10598
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Okay. You want a choice. Here is a choice for you: either you guys play regularly, or I will die of boredom. Choose. Now.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #10599
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Okay. You want a choice. Here is a choice for you: either you guys play regularly, or I will die of boredom. Choose. Now.
I will say this for your sake, and this only. There are many threads on the Downs to choose from. If this thread does not get an immediate response, no one is stopping you from entertaining yourself with another one. But the reality of these games is that most of the time you will not get immediate responses, and should not expect immediate responses. You keep being disappointed at having to wait a couple days, which is an unreasonable expectation on your part. So, if you want to entertain yourself on the Downs in between responses here, you're always welcome to look at other threads and other sub-forums; Books has been pretty active lately, for instance. It's not okay to demand immediate participation from anyone and everyone each time something happens to make you upset, it's not okay to lash out at people if you're bored or in a bad mood. The only thing you will achieve by lashing out is to turn people away from you, you won't get more participation or more enthusiasm. So a choice for you, one that I do not dictate but merely predict: you play with the rest of the crowd, at the realistic pace of the Quiz room, and while waiting entertain yourself by other means. Or you will eventually turn people away with your outbursts and will not have a crowd to play with.

I will not prolong the derailing of this thread into a pointless debate. If you want to talk or rant about whatever's made you so angry that you need to lash out at people, you can PM me. I will not respond to any more demands of this kind though, and especially not on the thread. If you want to talk, let's have some mutual courtesy.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:57 AM   #10600
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

All things considered, I think that's long enough to leave this one hanging. I still don't have a lot of brainspace, but I figured I'd throw a quick puzzle up for whoever wants it.

1. - Local stars: a misspelling of no fear about the mostly-doomed lot.
2. - Take one step, and note there a crunchy meat product; you might need some help.
3. - The fifth Roman, a liar? Not quite, but the queens might show up.
4. - Step forward, pick a sense, aim it at the henge: not Pippin's.
5. - Do not proceed through him - the repeat and three beforehand are gone! Try looking underground.

(And if anyone can solve #6 of the previous one, or provide an explanation for Galadriel as #4, I'd be very grateful. I've just spotted the 'with a vowel switch' which makes ERENDIS fit perfectly on #12, so I'm happy with that one.)

hS