Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #1081
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nogrod -

Please clear your pm's. Of course, I am the one cluttering up your box!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:01 AM   #1082
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Nogrod -

Please clear your pm's. Of course, I am the one cluttering up your box!
Done... and answered. Let's go on with your plan.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #1083
Child of the 7th Age

Post up. It still needs cleaning up but I will do that later since I am going to the dentist.

Gwerr, Ishkur -- I spoke for you. If anything needs to change, tell me and I will edit.

We should be able to go straight into the action with the orcs approaching the camp and the attacker lying in wait.

Tevildo - you can do the "sister" post with night coming to the main camp.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #1084
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Great solution Child! Kudos for the "rain coming after the windstorm" -idea!
(Although this "let's help the nature" -thing might be overdoing it? Wouldn't the rain be enough?)

I'm not going to put up a save for the orcs if someone wishes to post an "in preparation" -post soon. But I would like to bring the orcs to the trouble tomorrow (RL). That is, if no one else has a good idea s/he would wish to execute here.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #1085
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

After Child's PM to everyone I would also encourage all to post now. I will be more than happy to write the orcs into the trouble but will not do it right now as to give the other characters time to settle with this ambush-stuff first.

But I'm going to Turkey for a week on Wednesday and I will post for the orcs before that as I have no idea how much spare time I will have there or are there any decent internet connections in the place we're going.

Please remember the coming rain as that is essential for our plan to get the orcs slipping...

PS. And anyhow, Child can move my post further away if it comes too soon...
Old 05-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #1086
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sorry guys...I'm trying to keep up, but I seem to be falling more and more behind...

Did you still want me to post Shae's interaction with a sleeping orc, or are we beyond that?

Sorry again...I'm just feeling slightly confused. I promise I'll try to keep up better than I have lately...
Old 05-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #1087
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Okay.

The orcs are in the middle of trouble now. If either of you Child or Regin feel that I have used your characters badly please inform me. I had to use your characters somewhat to get a lot of things happen in a single post but I tried to handle them in the way I feel you would have used them. Correct me if I have been wrong.

A few points in principle.

I had to make this post now as I'm going to be away for a week from Wednesday on. If it feels that my post is there "too early" please move it farther away or let me move it as I come back. So do not let it tie your hands if you wish to post for things before the attack begins.

I have laid a situation for someone to write hiding in the bush which Gwerr is about to inspect and turns around at the last moment. Maybe it was a stone in there in the end... but if someone wishes to use the chance feel free to do it.

I made Gwerr to have the good instincts in my post but that was quite the only possibility as both Ishkur and Makdush have been loud on rescuing their mates and I didn't dare to use your characters to making different opinions as you have voiced this far. But to compensate I have made Gwerr drop already...

I wrote the ending quite vaguely in purpose to allow different interpretations. So either Gwerr just tumbles on Ishkur and falls to the pit or then Ishkur falls down with him. It's up to Regin to decide which way it goes. If you need a quick resolution to this Ishkur should fall with Gwerr and the fight is over after you figure out how Makdush will be beaten but if Regin wishes to post Ishkur's defence it's open for him to do it.

I have only mantioned rocks being thrown as I think arrows might be too heavy weapons if we think that these three would have to be in shape to fight alongside the humans against the Olog-Hai later...

The overall design of this pit was pretty unclear to me so I tried to refer to it as little as was possible. If there are discrepancies with the way you have figured the pit to be like please let me know.

So. Forwärts!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #1088
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Carl's save is filled in. I left it with him wondering around, so if no one else takes Nogrod up on the "whose in the brush" offer, feel free to have it be the hobbit.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #1089
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay...I'm about to post and fill in my very shortly kept save, but I wanted to say for Nogrod and Child and Regin that Kwell's not going to fall in like I sugested by PM. Too much trouble.

-- Folwren
Old 05-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #1090
Child of the 7th Age

Please excuse my recent absence. We are dealing with real life headaches that are eating up my time. My mom's health is fine but she needs to make some other living arrangements and I am trying to get that sorted out long distance and planning a trip to help her move. I am hoping to come up for air on Monday, hopefully pushing the story forward.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #1091
Child of the 7th Age

Save filled. Later tonight, I will be doing a general narrative post that gets the camp to noon the next day. I've asked Tevildo/Azhar to do the same for those who will be arriving from the original camp. That should get us to the point when we can debate the orc situation and kick the story forward.

Brinniel - I am going to be sending you an email later today.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 AM   #1092
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dūm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Nogrod, Child,

I used your characters a little. If there's a problem, let me know.

- Regin
Old 06-10-2007, 01:21 AM   #1093
Child of the 7th Age

Save filled. Sorry about my dreadfully long post. Tevildo - please go ahead and have the others enter the camp.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #1094
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Save filled.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #1095
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Firefoot - I like your post. I will be really glad to see these characters finally brought together.

Everyone -

Ok, the others have arrived.

Child -- I stuck in the rain I mentioned to you. I figured this would fit in with the scenes where the orc and human "children" get in trouble in the pit with rising water. Rain can't help.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:12 AM   #1096
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

"Long time no sea!" as Kath's signature says...

I try to read myself up to date this weekend and if not earlier then after the Midsummer eve's party I will be joining again with full effort...

I have not forgotten this game. It's just that the RL keeps running over...
Old 06-16-2007, 10:46 AM   #1097
Child of the 7th Age

Ah, good. We are just getting into the "trial" of the orcs so that would be very helpful.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #1098
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Ah, good. We are just getting into the "trial" of the orcs so that would be very helpful.
Can't wait that! I quess Gwerr will have one or two opinions if he's allowed to voice them...
Old 06-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #1099
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hm. We're getting somewhere exciting, and I'm about to leave for another week at camp.

I will try to post something for Athwen tomorrow before leaving. If I don't manage, it won't be too terrible.

However, I would like to be able to have some work with Athwen and Kwell during the 'trial' of the orcs. I believe Athwen was going to have a fairly strong voice in the argument of whether or not to kill them...? If things progress while I am gone, however, past the point where she should talk, then I can accept that and you should go on without worrying or thinking about me.

-- Folwren
Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 AM   #1100
Child of the 7th Age

My post is up. Anyone is welcome to take a "shot" at what Lindir and Aiwendil have said (or to support them).

Folwren - Things are going slowly so I think you will have plenty of time to post. Nogrod, as well....

I don't mind if we go forward slowly over the summer as long as we don't grind to a complete halt.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #1101
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Khamir will definitely have something to say.

I figure it's time to officially say that from July 2nd till the 11th I will be hopping around northern Europe, and will not have net access.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:36 AM   #1102
Child of the 7th Age

Lucky you! Have fun, Durelin. It should be a trip you will long remember. Hopefully, you'll get a post up before you leave. Either way, I suspect we'll be going forward quite slowly.

I will be out of town July 10-14 helping my mom find a new place to live, and will likely not have internet access at that time.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:04 AM   #1103
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Just to let you know - I'm going to be out of town next week, and I'm not sure about how much internet access that I'll have.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #1104
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thank you, Child! I am certain it will be very memorable! And I'll be taking tons of pictures.

I hope everything with your mother goes well.

I'm very sorry it took me so long to get a post up, but one is up and I hope it is okay. Please let me know if there are any problems and I will fix them before I leave.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #1105
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh deary me. My humblest apologies. I made a save and then utterly forgot about it. I will try my best to fill it tomorrow.

I was thinking, now is probably not the time that Athwen will really interfere. She'll put in a quiet word, but it's not until later that she'll make any really moving speech or anything. I figured that should wait until things get hotter and more people get involved.

What do you all think?

-- Folwren
Old 07-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #1106
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Don't feel bad. My save has sat longer than yours.

I think your comment about Athwen is wise. Azhar will also be quietly upset but will likely not say too much at this point. Dorran, however, will be more visibly upset.....remember that his parents were killed by orcs. I am going to jump my save forward. When I do post, Dorran will have something to say, although he will try to make a reasoned argument to persuade Lindir to change his stance and not just go crazy. If you want to have Athwen say something about seeing Dorran upset, that would fit in with what I'm doing (but of course it's up to you.)

Hope your summer is going well.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #1107
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright. My save is filled.

Tevildo, I did nothing with Dorran because I'm not positive about what you're planning on doing with him.

Child, I formed my post to run right into yours, so...I hope you're happy. Also, it's Khamir in this story and Khandr in the Treachery of Men story. Thought you might want to be told. Also...in your other last post on the game thread, you kept writing Athwen when I believe you meant Azhar.

-- Folwren
Old 07-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #1108
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I know I've promised this possibly a few times already, but I will be with the story in a Day or two...

But really all kinds of things have been in the way, mainly unexpected works and enjoying the summer with Lommy & her sis. But now I'm going to be alone in the city for a couple of weeks and should have time also to catch up and take part in here...

See you soon.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #1109
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

I've put up a save for Azhar and Dorran each to speak their mind. At the end of that post, Azhar will wander off with the children in preparation for the scene when they get in trouble in the water.

Folwren - No problem with that. After this post, your character should have an idea how Dorran feels.

Nogrod - I'm looking forward to your return.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #1110
Child of the 7th Age

"Athwen"? "Khandr"?

Wow! I better start taking ginko..... I think I've corrected them. That was a great lead in post, Folwren.

Durelin - Please excuse my edit tag. At one point, before reading Folwren's lead-in, I relocated my post at the tag end of your box, and then removed it so it could come later in the string.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #1111
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I posted for Gwerr and the other orcs first as Regin was online and had a tied schedule.

What I had in mind was that the orcs might have something interesting to post while the meeting of the fellowship & the slaves goes on and we wait for the female-orcs to come to pledge for the male-orcs lives.

So I'm not suggesting the male-orcs could actually manage the charge. That would inevitably lead to deaths and to the impossibility of uniting the two sides.

But is it now a deal that there will be a flood of sorts putting both human and orc children to a risk? If it is, we should then think about the order of posting a bit. The slaves & the f-s will discuss their future and the fate of the orcs while the male-orcs climb up and finally get to listen to what happens outside the door (unfortunately for them the meeting is taking place in front of the pit so they can't charge straight away as everyone's there). Then we need the children going to dangerous places and the females to come forwards with their pleas, right?

And then the flooding and the children in despair?

What follows then should perhaps be discussed... or if I am wrong, please bring me back to the present general idea about how we proceed.

PS. Child: Let me know if I have mishandled Makdush. I will naturally change everything you suggest should be changed.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #1112
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Hadith's post is in too. Nice to be back.

Tevildo: should you consider removing your save when you will actually fill it as I have not been able to pay heed to what your characters were about to say as there was no information on that? So as Hadith has already spoken your characters should speak after him in the thread?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #1113
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
So sorry to be late in getting Carl's save filled, but it up there now. Haven't been able to read the last few entries, but it is nice to see things moving again. I'll be playing catch up with my reading at lunch tomorrow I should think.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #1114
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dūm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Save filled. I tried to give a lead in for more water seeping into the pit.

If I understand things right, the orcs will have to leave before the kids can come in and get stuck there. Isn't that right?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #1115
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Thumbs up

Nogrod - I think you're right about my save. I pushed it forward.

Regin - Thanks for doing a set up for the rising water. I understood that the orcs would be out of the pit when the kids went in and got in trouble. What you and Nogrod are doing will work fine with me.

This is what I'm thinking of, unless someone would like to add other ideas. I'll have Azhar wander off with the kids but they will first play around on the banks of the stream. Azhar will have her hands full keeping them away from the rising water. After the orcs get out of the pit (whether they are dragged out or come rushing out), the kids will pester here to have a look inside. She'll figure it's better than the rising bank of the stream where the kids might fall in. And she's very familiar with the cave since she spent so much time there. Of couse, what she doesn't is know how bad it's going to get inside the pit when those rocks give way.....

BTW, could one of the orcs leave that rope nearby so it will be eaiser to climb down into the pit/cave?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #1116
Child of the 7th Age

Glad to see the game going forward. I definitely have no problem with the orcs kicking up a ruckus as long as no one gets seriously injured or killed. In fact, Makdush will be glad to join in the ruckus. As long as the orcs leave the pit one way or another before Azhar brings the children in and the water breaks through the rock "plug", that will work fine. Perhaps, the orcs will put up a fight but will be overwhelmed, rebound, and dragged out to "hear the sentence"? My assumption was that, even with the plea of the women and Aiwendil's warning of danger, the vote will go against them. It's only the danger the children are in and the help they give each other that suggests some limited cooperation is possible.

BTW, from the looks of some posts on other threads, a number of posters are having trouble giving rep and anything involved with clicking links....the links just don't come up. If anyone has that problem, just right click and open the link in a new window.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-05-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #1117
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Let's consider this a bit.

The situation now:
The ex-slaves and the FS are having a meeting in front of the pit about what to do with the orcs and the possible threat of the Olog-hai. At the same time the orcs are getting free down in the pit and will make a pyramide to get one up to the door and throw ropes to others to climb up as well.

Where we need to get:
The pit must be empty for the children to get there in the first place so the orcs need to be out from there. And still everyone (orcs & the goodies) need to be near enough to hear the children's distress. And the female orcs need to be in place as well...

So how do we achieve this?

One suggestion to follow. Please make other suggestions...

The male orcs reach the top and listen behind the door while the people discuss. Then the female orcs (and orc-children) come forwards and plead for the males. After some harsh words come from the ranks of men ("more of these beasts, let's kill them once and for all as they seem to spawn from all over the place before it's too late", or something) the males burst the door open and get ready to defend the females. Maybe they'd run to stand by the females (hoping surely that the females would have arms to give them as they only have Makdush' blade with them).

That way we could create space in front of the doorway to the pit so that both the orc and human children could slip inside and use the ropes left by the orcs to get down. There would be some heated words thrown over both sides so that no one would notice the children sneaking down to the pit.

Then there would be the calls for help from the pit and everyone rushing to their aid...

Other ideas?
Old 07-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #1118
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I just reread Child's last post here (one above mine) and got a feeling that I may have missed something. So is there already a plan (Azhar bringing the children to the pit) how the things will unfold?

But how do we get the orc-children there as well?

And will it be the co-operation of the children or also that of the adults as well?

In case the adults would co-operate as well (which I kind of like as an idea) from the side of the orcs there might be a few females and possibly Ishkur giving a hand. Gwerr and Makdush I think are a bit too cynical to take part in that kind of an effort...
Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #1119
Child of the 7th Age

Save filled....

Makdush will not help anyone!

OK, I'm not sure. I've got a vague idea but definitely not a concrete plan. A lot of this will depend on Tevildo's posts and Firefoot's. I could see it falling out one of two ways. The two groups of kids could actually be cautiously getting together, or at least some of them. One or more orc children could have folowed the human children into the pit and be staring at each other. Actually, it might be better if it was the girl orc who was tagging along behind the human children and Firefoot's character could see from the top of the pit that they are all in trouble after the rock plug gives and water rushes in. He could try and help but then run back to tell everyone. I do think a few on both sides of the divide would help drag the kids out. My guess is also that Ishkur will grudgingly help...perhaps do something decisive because of his natural strength?? But that is up to Regin.

Azhar could be down in the pit with the kids, or up on top with the other orc kid....whatever Tevildo wants.

Would that work? Any other ideas, Nogrod or anyone? The adult orcs, of course, have to be out of the pit when this happens.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-06-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:07 PM   #1120
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age View Post
The adult orcs, of course, have to be out of the pit when this happens.
I can handle this getting out of the pit-stuff but I think we need the females to come in with their pledge first... (I can post for the orcs getting themselves up and listening to the conversation but they will burst out only after the females enter with their plea).

Your plan looks good.

So let the the females come forwards (after a few posts by the slaves?) and then the children getting into danger. I agree that from the orcs Ishkur might be one to help and one or two females (possibly Undome's sisters - is she still around?). From the slaves / FS, well you people decide... Hadith might go for it if there are too few writers arounds but as he is wounded and such a young person he might not be the obvious one... Beloan would be an easy pick of course and I could write it while Dury is away.