Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2003, 02:21 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Escape from Nurn RPG

Brinniel’s post

“Why do you do this to yourself, Desolyn? I know you like to be rebellious, but sometimes you go too far.”

Desolyn yawned lazily as she lay on her stomach inside the small hut and allowed her friend Meialath to tend to her raw and bleeding back. Desolyn knew Meialath bandaged her only as an excuse to find time to lecture the girl about running away. Meialath always worried for her; more than Desolyn worried for herself.

Meialath continued to scold. “This is the sixth time you’ve tried to escape, Desolyn. The sixth! Honestly, I-"
“But I was so close this time, Meia,” Desolyn interrupted. “So close! If I were just a few paces ahead of them, I would’ve been free!”
“Oh, free this and free that. That’s all you ever talk about!” Meialath sighed.
“And what’s wrong with that?”
“When are you going to wake up, Des?!” the woman cried out. “And realize it’s not going to happen! We will never be free. Running away just gets us killed!”
“So what’s the difference then, Meia?” Desolyn argued, gritting her teeth. “In the fields, we can die just as easily from overwork as we can die from being caught escaping. So, in the end, it really doesn’t matter.”

By now Meialath had finished bandaging Desolyn. The girl sat up slowly, grimacing as pain lanced through her backside. Meialath sat down on the shoddy cot next to her and gave a loud sigh.
“Is it really worth all the beatings, Des?” she asked. “The pain? Just to search for freedom that you may never find?”
“Yes.”
Meialath shook her head to Desolyn’s response, none too happy. She put her hand to the Desolyn’s cheek and turned the girl’s head towards her. Desolyn looked at the woman straight in the eye.
“Please,” Meialath said, almost in a whisper. “Promise me you won’t run away again.”
Desolyn pushed her hand away and stood up. “Forget about it, Meia,” she said. “It no longer matters. I cannot hold your promise.”
“Why not?”
Desolyn smiled at the woman. “Tonight they choose slaves for the Hunt. It’s no question that I will be chosen. They’ve wanted to hunt me for years, and now it is finally my time. I will run away again, but this time it will be my last chance.”
Meialath gave Desolyn an astonished look, but said nothing.
“Don’t worry, Meia,” Desolyn added. “I will escape this time, I promise you.”
And with that, the girl left the woman alone in the hut.

As she walked through the slave quarters, Desolyn could see other slaves scrambling to get ready for work. Somewhere in the distance, a horn sounded. It was this sound that told the slaves they were to go to the fields immediately, and by now many slaves were running to get there, praying to Eru that they wouldn’t be last. Desolyn kept her pace. In the east, the sun was beginning to rise. The new day had begun.

[ March 30, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]