The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2003, 12:38 PM   #401
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Whoa, Bird! You stole my book. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] That's definitely it.

Anyways, I probably couldn't afford to buy yours with all those "real" dustjackets! I really hunted and lurked to get a bargain on these at e-bay.

If you have any information about my volumes, I'd appreciate it.

My Fellowship is a 16th printing (no date--maybe that was the last one?); Two Towers is 10th impression, 1963; and Return (the one with the real dustjacket) is 10th impression, 1963. So I don't have real old ones. They all have names and/or bookplates at the front except for Fellowship. But they are nice and sturdy and the map is in good shape.

sharon
Old 08-26-2003, 10:49 PM   #402
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sharon - Identifying the various printings is an arcane science, based on tiny clues such as damaged type, italics vs. capital letters, and-so-on. Only the very first printings of the American editons had the date on the title page. This was apparently common for H-M in the 1950s and 60s. The first printing of FotR in 1954 was only 1,500 copies.

I had a very nice correspondence with Steven Frisby, but I have lost the e-mails. If I remember right, mine were 5th, 6th and 7th printings.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:08 AM   #403
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I ran across a hard back copy of The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two over the weekend! Needless to say, it now it in my bookcase. I had believed it out of print in hardback. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 10:16 AM   #404
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
I have just picked 18 as the legal coming of age. So how many of you have been reading LotR and other Tolkien books for at least 18 years? Please tell us how long ago you first read the book(s); if you like, your age at that time and what prompted you to read Tolkien.
I dont think I have seen this thread, or have and never opened it. I did a search on my member number to see if I have posted here and it didn't come up with this thread, so here goes...

It was the summer of 1975 when my neighbor and I were out on a walk when he started telling me of this book he was reading. It was called the Hobbit. He told me about Hobbits and how they liked to sit about and eat and smoke. I was mildly interested, and so when he was done he loaned it to me. I read it and liked it, and so he passed his copy of Fellowship when he was done as well. The trouble was I fell in love with the story, and I seemed to read faster than he. So I waited awhile for him to finish Two Towers, and I quickly consumed it all. Well, he had not started Return of the King by the time I was done with Two Towers, so I went to the library and checked out Return of the King.

My senior year in high school started that fall (That will give ya my age [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) and I was toting and reading Return of the King during lunch and when ever I could, and the cement wall by the flag pole was a nice spot. There I met a girl who was also into the Lord of the Rings, and we got to know each other pretty good. We even had fun with the Tengwar in the appendices, passing notes and such. There was some construction going on nearby the flag pole, and one lunch they poured fresh cement curbs, so we decided to cut a class and we imprinted 'Friends' in Tengwar using our fingers! We did a fair job with only one small mistake being we were in a hurry to finish before being spotted. That curb remained until last winter, when the high school went through a complete renovation and it was destroyed. I visited it just before, and had I known it would be destroyed, I would have sat and chisiled it out and took it home.

So I was into Tolkien before the release of the Silmarillion. I was at a 'line party at a Walden Books for the release of the Silmarillion, for it was the first 'new' Tolkien writings to be released since the 1950's. I suffereed through the Rankin-Bass & Bakshi era, and was again suprised in a grocery store in 1984 to see in one of those checkout counter racks 'Unfinished Tales'! I impulsivly bought it, and the stories re-kindled my love in Tolkien's writings. I have since read the Lord of the Rings complete with appendices, and Unfinished Tales several times. I find the Silmarillion a harder read, and only read it a few times.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 10:45 AM   #405
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Welcome to our little cabal of the "eldest" Snowdog! Though I first read Tolkien a few years before you, I see that you are about three years my elder *bows*. I'd make a bit more of that, but it's been nearly two years since I was stripped of my title as "eldest" at the Barrow-Downs. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2003, 01:51 PM   #406
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pleased to meet you, Snowdog! (Great name.) And I like your sig.

I'm curious: Besides the Downs, what other expressions of Middle-Earth bubble up in your life from time to time?
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:27 PM   #407
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Welcome master Snowdog! Nice to see you've found the thread.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:58 PM   #408
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi Snowdog! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2003, 11:40 PM   #409
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Hi, Snowdog! and welcome to the thread. We must have gotten hooked on LOTR about the same time - I bought my paperback edition in '74.

I'm currently reading The Fellowship to my youngest, while encouraging my teenager to finish TTT - she only became interested in the books after seeing Orlando Bloom, lol.

Your sig reminds me of this quote from George Bernard Shaw: "Youth is wasted on the young."

[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: Alphaelin ]
Old 09-11-2003, 08:38 AM   #410
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greetings, all!
Hilde Bracegirdle told me about this thread when I first came to the BD back in May (as Ealasaid without an "e" on the end). It's taken me this long to find it!

I first read LotR back in 1975 or so when I was in Junior High. All I can remember is being completely absorbed in it until I finished it from cover to cover, to cover, to cover! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] When I came home from school everyday, I went straight to my room & read for hours until I was finished. Then I was depressed because there wasn't any more. So, I tried to write my own Tolkein-inspired stories with mixed (and frequently laughable) results. As you can see, I've never grown out of it & am still writing Tolkein-inspired stories with mixed (and frequently laughable) results, lo, these many years later! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Ealasaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 10:20 AM   #411
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Hi Ealasaide! Looks like the gang's all here...well almost! And actually, quite a few of your early works were quite wonderful stories. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2003, 10:56 AM   #412
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Where do we find them?
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 11:09 AM   #413
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

I hope you kept them Ealasaide, I wish I had kept those drawings I had done back then!
Old 09-11-2003, 01:29 PM   #414
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

I still have an acrylic canvas I painted (when 14) of the block print from my Hobbit book called "The trolls". I made the forest very woody and dark, with the red glowing fire, but I made the trolls florescent green, about the color of the green thumb icon on this post! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] The trolls look good, I guess I wanted them to stand out. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I also stuck little Bilbo in there, right by the fire. Making him beardless was hard, but I did stay true to the books description in the rendering of a hobbit. If I ever get that digital camera, I'll post it! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2003, 03:21 PM   #415
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

I'd love to see it Liriodendron! I used to draw mostly my own characters, nothing so complicated as a scene that I can recall.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:57 PM   #416
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Is this where all the old people come to talk about the good ol' days of "Frodo Lives" bumper stickers? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

(Sorry, as an 18 year old, I couldn't help it)
Old 09-11-2003, 06:28 PM   #417
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

No, this is where Site Administrators hang out waiting for foolish youngsters to intrude. Let's see.... Shall I ban Earendil or merely disable his ability to post? Or maybe I should consider his post a joke and just laugh. Hmmmm.

Ok. Ha ha ha ha. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2003, 07:40 PM   #418
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Tolkien

Oh, Liriodendron, I'd really like to see it too! Having no artistic talent myself, I enjoy taking peeks at others'. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 08:19 PM   #419
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I had a button that said "Frodo Lives" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] my bumper sticker said...ERA NOW [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Hopefully, I'll get a digital camera for Xmas and post my Hobbit pcture! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2003, 08:32 PM   #420
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Can't wait to see the picture!
Oh, dear, like to have one of those buttons, but I don't think they were around when I was...never mind. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

*Looks at post at which Mr. Mithadan commented....* Disrespectful kids....*grumble grumble....* [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

In exactly two months my hobbit self will be of age!!! WOOOHHOOOOO! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Wish Mr. Frodo could be here... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:00 PM   #421
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Unfortunately, I went through a cleaning frenzy in my mid-twenties and threw out almost everything I had written as a kid. I really, really regret it now. Even the truly awful stories would have been fun to read over again now.

We should have new bumper stickers made that say "LotR Geezer...and proud of it!" or something of that sort.

Hilde -- you are too kind! I seem to remember most of my stuff from the old high school days as being rather melodramatic and pretentious. I couldn't seem to decide who I wanted to be more: Dumas, Tolkein, or Tolstoy!

Your drawings on the other hand were wonderful! I think I may still have one or two of them.. I'll have to search my parents' attic & see what I can dig up! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Pardon my low-brow sense of humor, but did anyone see South Park the other night? It was the episode titled "Return of the Fellowship to the Two Towers". Oh, I laughed my butt off! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Ealasaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:08 AM   #422
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
I used to draw mostly my own characters,
Ooo! Ooo! I can draw stick figures! Seriously, I have always looked at artists in wonder, having no talent myself.

A LOTR parody on South Park and my hubby didn't tell me?? Wicked, wicked man. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 02:08 AM   #423
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Welcome to the Club, Snowdog - and all others whom I have forgotten to greet! (You know how it is with the memory when you get older! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) You've come just in time to help us move to a new thread - this one has gotten so long that it takes an inordinate time to load - a nice testimony to the Fellowship of the Geezers. So grab your walkers, everyone - a moving company will bring the rocking chairs along - and come on over to The Tolkien Coming of Age Club 2! Please do not post here - this thread will be closed.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote