The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2007, 06:20 AM   #641
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
In the Carpenter biography htere is something about him handing shopkeepers his false teeth when they put their hand out for money....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:58 AM   #642
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley
Just thought I'd drop by and say "Hi".
Announcements and Obituaries???
Egad, how old are some of you, eh?
Not to worry, Boo! As far as I know, we're all on the near side of the grave

I'd like to add my vote of approval for your handle! Excellent book...excellent movie...and Robert Duvall is one of my all-time favorite actors.

-Alphaelin (or Alph)
Old 03-27-2007, 02:28 AM   #643
Alphaelin
Wight

High Plains Hobbits?

Quote:
Pioneers to the Canadian prairies in the 19C dug dwellings out of hills and dirt to survive their first terrible experience of winter on the North American prairie.

Bźthberry , this sounds like the 'soddies' built in the plains states of the U.S., for the same reason -- dirt and sod were the most easily acquired building materials and they provided good protection not only against bitter cold winters but against the miserably hot summer sun in the plains. While they didn't have the sophistication of a solid brick-lined hobbit hole, any Shire Folk who had emigrated to the treeless prairies of North America would have had an easier time resorting to earthen shelters than some of the Big People.

Also, in Child's second hobbit hole link (the cottage in Wales), the second picture down -- showing the rafters in a round room -- reminded me somewhat of pictures I've seen of the ceilings of earthen lodges used by some Native Amercian tribes. An intriguing mental connection!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:02 AM   #644
The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rūdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
Pipe Shocking revelations

Quote:
As far as I know, we're all on the near side of the grave
If I'm not dead, why did they put me in a barrow? And why did my ear just fall off?

By the way, 'cold be hand and heart and bone' is right. I haven't had a fire for five years, and nobody thought to leave me any scotch. Even my chilblains are shivering.

You know, as I recall that article about false teeth was a joke. Any fule kno that the TS keep Tolkien's pipe and teeth in a priceless reliquary decorated with quotations in Tengwar from the secret letters: the one that fits Tom Bombadil into the Silmarillion cosmology, and the other one from November 1968 that contains a drawing of Durin's bane.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #645
Alphaelin
Wight

1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rūdh
If I'm not dead, why did they put me in a barrow? And why did my ear just fall off?

By the way, 'cold be hand and heart and bone' is right. I haven't had a fire for five years, and nobody thought to leave me any scotch. Even my chilblains are shivering.
Lol! Perhaps we've been drawn in by a wight hoping for amenities like a fire & a good glass of scotch? Lack of either would explain the mournful song Frodo heard in the barrow. No wonder the wights were always in such a foul mood. (Alas, JRRT never described any of the Free Peoples carrying a good single malt in their backpacks. Or even any tequila.)
Old 06-12-2007, 03:15 AM   #646
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Try again......

I had to crank this thread up for this one: gardens in Warwickshire.

Just scroll down to the one labelled Hobbiton. I wish we had a closer look, but what I'm seeing here is quite pleasant. And the idea of incorporating this as part of a children's hospice is so appropriate and needed.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 06-12-2007 at 03:21 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:24 AM   #647
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

Great link, Child!

What a fascinating way to recreate Middle-earth. I guess gardening was not one of the arts which Tolkien encouraged in his letter about other hands taking up his Legendarium through "paint, music and drama" but it certainly is a form of "fanfiction" which is consistent with Tolkien's vision.

Interesting too the comment that the garden is immediately recognised by many.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #648
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
I had to crank this thread up for this one: gardens in Warwickshire.

Just scroll down to the one labelled Hobbiton. I wish we had a closer look, but what I'm seeing here is quite pleasant. And the idea of incorporating this as part of a children's hospice is so appropriate and needed.
Bet you didn't know one of the designers was erstwhile top pop princess of the early 80s Kim Wilde who did the seminal Kids In America (and her look is now being copied by millions of lasses in the UK - blonde spiky mullet, stripy t-shirt, skin tight jeans, pixie boots etc - I went as far as getting the retro stripy t-shirt but not the mullet, no way ).

However, I've got that fence and gate now too. See. Hand made by Mr Proudfoot AKA me Dad - who also displayed an unknown talent for the esoteric skill of drystonewalling. I am not having a giant Gandalf though as not only would the neighbours laugh but it would get robbed. But I do have a Gollum round the back - they sell 'em in Wath.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #649
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Wowsers....

Nothing from the 'Downs for AGES, and now like 10 messages in a row....

Trippy....if you understand my meaning....

~Samwise, aka Mrs. G
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #650
Child of the 7th Age

Samwise,

Good to see you. Check the dates on those pms. The Barrow-wight put in a new version of the website today. Some very "old" mail was inadvertently forwarded in the changeover. For example, I had an e-mail message that Bethberry had posted on a thread I had subscibed to. Her post was back in 2004. (Better late than never! )

If you come back to see this, are you still doing any collecting in the area?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #651
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Tolkien

Hullo, Miss Child...good to see you, too! They weren't PMs that I recieved, but rather posts to threads I was subscribed to. I see there are new things going on...

Well, I haven't been able to collect since I lost my job....been selling lots of stuff (not LOTR related) on ebay. Trying to sell some of my needlework on different auction sites, but haven't done much, so far...
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #652
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up Ooops.....

Oh, THOSE PMs....Thank you--I've cleared out my inbox now.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #653
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
You know you are getting old when food becomes a pleasure... like a garden to some.

But I can't not-share this with you.

The first chanterells are here!

I was going to my neighbourhood grocery when I spotted a woman selling fresh stuff outside the market, like sugar-peas, strawberries, cherries... and chanterells!

I bought some small fresh potatoes (those basically without any skin at all available only now as the season is on), some unsmoked bacon, shallot-onions and cream.

That was heavenly indeed! Just add salt and pepper...

Felt like summer!

In this world of advanced market-economy where you basically can have any ingredient all over the year this kind of things uplift one's mind... This surely can't be done in December!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #654
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Summertime and the fresh produce! LOVE IT! I've been eating strawberries and cherries by the bushel, salad greens, green onions and early potatoes...but the best is yet to come...

APPLES! PEACHES! CORN ON THE COB! And the most glorious of all summer time treats: FRESH-PICKED TOMATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #655
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Question

Okay, I'm embarrassed, as I've taken the name of THE Gardener....

But what are chanterells?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #656
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
But what are chanterells?
Chantarelles are mushrooms... bright yellow ones... (chantarellus cibarius). Quite common in the Northern hemisphere but not too common to be cheap in the market (the Italians buy all our mushrooms today and that rises the prizes).

I had to pay 6€ (7-8$) for a litre of them. Okay they were the first ones of the season and thence one can understand the special price on them but whatever... Not cheap.

But one can get a cheap pizza or iskender kebap from an ethnic restaurant (where workers are not paid properly) or a McDonald's meal with the price of them.

I think the choice is clear as a litre of them caters for two at least with cream and taters...

Not to discuss the taste.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:00 AM   #657
Alphaelin
Wight

Leaf

Nogrod wrote:
Quote:
Chantarelles are mushrooms... bright yellow ones... (chantarellus cibarius). Quite common in the Northern hemisphere but not too common to be cheap in the market (the Italians buy all our mushrooms today and that rises the prizes).

I had to pay 6€ (7-8$) for a litre of them. Okay they were the first ones of the season and thence one can understand the special price on them but whatever... Not cheap.
Perhaps the high price of mushrooms added to their allure to hobbits. This might be the reason behind Farmer Maggot's wrath at the young Frodo's depradations.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #658
Child of the 7th Age

I have faithfully listed all the "hobbit burrows" I've run into on this particular thread, so I feel compelled to list this commercial establishment, which is from New Zeeland:

http://www.woodlynpark.co.nz/ (click on the link to the left for hobbit motel)

http://forums.nightly.net/index.php?showtopic=51819

Ahem.... The cow in the background is kind of nice.

Someone please tell me that the large wood thing in the middle of the picture is not a hacked off tree.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #659
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
So sad. Must be the low income district or come from plans drawn up in Sharkey's day? The structure seems desparately lacking any warmth (or grace). Can't help but think that they are trying to cash in on the movie tourists.

And my mouth shall remain sealed regarding that, ehem, "sculpture" out front.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #660
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Tolkien

verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting....
Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #661
Bźthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bźthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age View Post
Someone please tell me that the large wood thing in the middle of the picture is not a hacked off tree.
Child, that large wood thing in the middle of the picture is not a hacked off tree.

It is a stump.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #662
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

>>Child, that large wood thing in the middle of the picture is not a hacked off tree.

It is a stump.

LOL, Bźthberry !!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #663
Child of the 7th Age

Oh, Bêthberry. You gave me a good laugh.

That's the problem isn't it.... With the movies, I mean. Totally leaving aside their merits as films and/or book adaptations, which is being bludgeoned out on different threads on this site, they have had such an impact on our Middle-earth "culture". So many more readers, so many new books being published, a flood of collectibles, classes in the university, online games, works of art (of all shapes and descriptions), fanfics, rpgs, etc . The list could go on and on. So much good....and so much bad.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 01-11-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #664
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

I know what you mean, Child. I was looking for Tales from the Perilous Realm on the Barnes and Noble site, and since I have trouble remembering the exact title, I had to wade though upwards of 900 books, most of which were written about Tolkien, or his work, or the Inklings.... I found myself wondering if ALL these are really necessary.

On the other hand I did, see a copy of Samwise blank journal that I had way back when. I had totally forgetten about that.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #665
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Palantir-Green

Quote:
On the other hand I did, see a copy of Samwise blank journal that I had way back when. I had totally forgetten about that
Pardon? Blank journal??
Old 01-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #666
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Oh dear, I suppose I should have explained myself! Or else you might be liable to think I've been snooping around. I was refering to the book shown in the following link, but couldn't remember the proper name of it. But it looking it up again I see that it is called Hobbit's Travels by Sam Gamgee

It is indeed a blank journal. I had received a copy of it as a Christmas gift many, many years ago, but the yellow color and sketches inside kept me from using it.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...62413089&itm=4
Old 01-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #667
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Boots Ah, yes....

No worries, Miss Hilde. I myself have two copies of this journal, one bought by me, and another given me by a friend (the very next day, no less, so said friend does not know I have two copies of it) . I know what you mean abou the nice artwork, for the most part....can't say as I care for the one near the front of me....er....Sam.....
Old 01-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #668
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Pipe

I have two copies of A Hobbit's Journal (Hardcover and paperback) and one copy of "A Walk THrough The Shire". Haven't written a single rune in any of them.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:21 AM   #669
Child of the 7th Age

I couldn't resist posting this link. It's an earlier incarnation of this thread, going back to 2002, and has some intriguing posts from folks, a number of them still active on the site and others who have journeyed on, describing how and when they became interested in Tolkien:

http://web.archive.org/web/200309250...4&t=000840&p=1

It's possible to link into this same thread directly from the present site index: http://www.forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4672
But somehow it seems more appropriate when framed by the older board.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 01-28-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #670
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Oh my, we were all younger then than we are now! Thanks for the link, Child! Enjoyable reading...

One more thing - I clicked on the old fan fiction link and found our *old* site! Since there's occasionally someone who asks about the good old "Dude, Where's My Ring" story, and some may remember others, that's a great find!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 01-28-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #671
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Being an older geezer who's new to this board, I've skimmed through the discussion here -- and it's nice to know that for once, I'm not the oldest one around! There've been a few boards I've belonged to where I was a good twenty years older than the next oldest person -- certainly makes one feel ancient and decripit. I prefer to think of it as well-seasoned and educated, but...

I first read LotR in 1964 at age 11 and loved it immediately. I had tried reading the Hobbit for several years, but just couldn't (if I tell you that my favorite childhood authors were Ray Bradbury and James Thurber, this might explain why. I didn't read most classic children's books until I was long past being a child). I finally read the Hobbit when I was 26, when one of my older brothers (who was responsible for piquing my interest in LotR) gave me the leather-bound copies of both books as a Christmas present. Since then, I've read all the other books -- UT, HoME, you name it, except for the Children of Hurin. When one is trying to deal with clinical depression, that is definitely NOT the best story to be reading!

Anyway, the discussions of music that I saw through the thread also intrigued me. Along with many other creative pursuits, I've been a musician since I was about 8, and some of my earliest efforts at compositions were settings for songs from LotR. All my life, when I read Tolkien's work, I've heard music in my head, and for a long time, other friends and I tried to find works that we felt fit well with various parts of the story (for instance, "Mysterious Mountain" by Alan Hovhaness has always made me think "Rivendell"). Even after I heard other people's musical interpretations of the stories -- Shore, deMeij, David Arkenstone, etc. -- I kept thinking, no, that's not the music I heard. but I never did more than write tunes for some songs, even though I had studied orchestral composition as part of my musical training in college. Then about 6 years ago, I was given a program that allowed me to use my computer as my orchestra, and oh my, did that open the floodgates! Since then, I've written 7 symphonies and 4 suites that are part of the music that's been bottled up in my head all these years. I have some of the pieces posted on one of websites, here. Some of them are missing because I had orginally needed to record them using rather mediocre MIDI instruments, and now have a much larger and vastly better library of sampled instruments at my disposal. The conversion is a long and tedious process (especially when one is hearing impaired and cannot resist the urge to rewrite parts of things), but in time, I hope to have all of them converted and posted for people to enjoy.

When Tolkien made the remark that he hoped to have created something that others would continue to explore with pen and brush and music... oh, how he has done that for me, since over the years, I've done all three! What a joy he has been for so many!
Old 02-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #672
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Welcome, Ibrīn! Pull up a rocker and make yourself comfortable! Here, there's a nice spot close to the warming fireplace. You've been very creative in various Middle-earth related areas - you mentioned elsewhere that you created Sim figures and surroundings (sorry, don't know the exact terminology, as I'm not Sim-experienced) for others to enjoy. I too am a musician; though I don't normally compose (I will decompose someday - sorry, Monty Python music reference), I didn't like any of the melodies I've heard for my favourite poem, the 'Walking Song', so I did write down a tune for that.

Hmmm, looking back I see that I never posted a picture of my Tolkien-themed patchwork here. I'll see if I get around to it some time soon...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #673
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Thumbs up

A warm welcome Ibrin! Nice to have you in our midst.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #674
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Ibrin - I've been listening to your music, and it makes me wish I still had my old viola - I would love to hear these melodies played on a real instrument by a living musician! Very beautiful.

EDIT: Ai! 1000th post!!!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #675
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Ibrin - I've been listening to your music, and it makes me wish I still had my old viola - I would love to hear these melodies played on a real instrument by a living musician! Very beautiful.
Thank you! Oh, if there is a dream in my heart, it would be to hear some of the things I've written played by a real orchestra. But if people think it's hard to get a break in the rock world, they should try it with classical music! *sigh*

Estelyn, you're right, I've made a variety of things (objects and skins and meshes and such) for the Sims based on Tolkien's work. And I've done my own illustrations, written some fanfic, written papers, designed costumes... it's been a tremendous source of inspiration for me for more than 40 years. And greetings to another musician!
Old 02-03-2008, 07:40 AM   #676
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, as a pianist I don't play a Middle-earth compatible instrument - though it does come in handy when playing through the Swann/Tolkien songs in The Road Goes Ever On.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #677
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Y'know, that's one of the things I always found odd about the mention of organs in the Ainulindale. It's the only keyboard instrument I can recall being mentioned anywhere in Tolkien's work, and it seems quite strangely anachronistic. Myself, I began with organ and piano, then voice, guitar, harp, flute... oh, a lot of instruments. It was encouraged for anyone going into conducting or composition. Most I have only dabbled with, the understand how they are played and how they make their individual sounds, but I've managed proficiency with a fair number. A while back, someone asked me why I never used saxophone in my Tolkien-inspired orchestral works, and I couldn't quite get them to understand that I found it much too "modern" sounding to fit what I heard in my head. Wasn't even invented until the mid-1800s, if I recall correctly, so no matter what, I just couldn't hear a sax being played in, say, Rivendell, or Gondolin, or Valinor. Maybe someone might be wailing on a sax in Mordor...
Old 02-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #678
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Esty, sounds like a link to your paper-development thread would be a good idea. Hint.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:02 AM   #679
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I do agree with Rikae and yourself that being able to listen to your compositions played with real instruments would be great. That MIDI-sound is just plain awful at worst and being just a lot less than the real thing at best (the harp wasn't so bad).

The pics you had there reminded me of the old Deutsche Grammophone records... especially those with the yellow lines around the picture.

This is surely a matter of taste and I listened to only a small sample of your works - and this might even be a matter of principle to you - but I'll say it still. Don't be afraid of dissonance! Try it and you'll like it!

Think of some of the great modern composers like Pärt or Rautavaara who make the most astonishingly beautiful music where the beauty is enhanced or heightened to a new level with a creative use of dissonance.

But hats off to you. I really liked what I heard.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #680
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Actually, the "instruments" are all wav samples of actual instruments, and I am not terribly pleased with some, because whoever did the recording had a different notion of what constituted a good basic sound. With certain very expensive programs, studio equipment, and a lot of patience, I could potentially make them sound better, but I'm primarily a composer, not a studio tech. Spending weeks tweaking the sound of one or two particular instruments for a piece when I have ideas wanting to be expressed and put down isn't currently worth that kind of effort. What I need to do is hook up with someone who does enjoy that kind of work, has the equipment, and collaborate. Perhaps someday. (And perhaps someday, I'll find a willing orchestra, too. ) But I do have to say, imperfect though what I have available may sound when compared to a live orchestra, it's immensely better than what I had available when I first started writing these pieces. I just recently started working with yet a new set of instrument samples, which is much more extensive and varied than anything I've had before, but so far, I haven't had a chance to rescore any of my symphonic works using them. So much to do, so much time required, and so little time. *sigh*

And you're right about taste, Nogrod. As a musician, I have certainly been exposed to just about every kind of music there is, and naturally not all have been my cup of tea, but when I sit down to compose, I must be true to my own artistic vision, however much or little others might like it. Art is an expression of self, and this is a part of what I am. My own tastes tend to run toward the Impressionist and Romantic periods, and I'm sure that's reflected in my music. I'm not afraid of dissonance; I have written some quite dissonant pieces in the past, but since I write what I hear in my head, dissonance just wasn't what I heard, here, nor what felt was right for what I was attempting to achieve. I have a feeling that if I was ever to sit down and compose something about the Children of Hurin, I would find a lot of dissonance creeping in...

But in the end, as in all things, to each their own, and to thine own self be true.