The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2002, 05:40 PM   #41
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey Arie! I would have welcomes you to the Downs, but you were here before I was! You probably haven't been rated because your not on much. Or are you. I don't know, but I haven't really seen you around.

I never rate anybody lower than a 4. If I like them, their posts, what they say, etc. I vote them. If I don't like what you say and if your mean, or whatever I just don't vote you. I don't want to give anybody a low score.
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 09:14 PM   #42
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
Sting

noe my rating is 2.94
WHY DO YOU ALL HATE ME????
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
huh?! is it my view on harry potter? well excuse me for having an opinion.

[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumberTen ]
Old 07-29-2002, 09:27 PM   #43
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Shield

I have never rated anyone and I never will. I remember a few weeks ago my rating was a 1.82 ouch. Does that means that my posts were bad or annoying. I can live with the second and not with the first.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:15 PM   #44
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My judgment on ratings is that if someone is very, very intelligent and I admire how eloquent they are, I rate them higher. I'm not going to rate someone lower because I don't like his/her opinion. If someone can argue very well, I will rate them high.

If I rate someone low, then it would be because he/she is posting pointless messages with no meaning. I wouldn't do this because I don't understand what they are saying or because I don't like what they are saying, but because the argument is unjustified or the poster is insistent on arguing something that isn't reasonably justified. This would have to be if I were totally, completely annoyed with someone, and I had thought it out carefully before. I don't rate on impulse.
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:43 PM   #45
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I was on vacation and didn't see this thread till now. I generally rate a "5", or don't rate at all. I have yet to find someone who infuriates me enough to dole out a "1", although it could happen.

When I first started on the boards, I gave out a few "4s" but no longer do that. A "4" doesn't really say anything about how you feel; it's kind of wishy-washy!

Do people rate only for "conventional" posts in the book, movie, etc. forums, or do you also rate for RPGs? When I was here at first, I tended only to rate in the "conventional" forums. Now, I will defintely give a high rating for a great character in an RPG which shows a lot of thought. This is probably because I've done more posting in an RPG lately, and can see how much work is involved if you take the thing seriously.

Also, has anyone ever assigned someone a rating on the basis of something you've read by them in the fanfiction section? I haven't, but I could imagine doing that if I found something that really rang bells in my head.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 08-02-2002, 02:30 AM   #46
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I rate! and Im proud to say that I use the full spectrum. I see alot of people saying: 'I usually either rate 1 or 5' hmmm my opinion to this is: This is the real world - I dont belive in pure evil or stupidity - neither in true uncompromised exelence (With Mithadan as a possible exception [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
I try to judge people - some I have judge poorly (I must admit) some I have judged rightly. Here are some of the things that will earn a bones from me:

A Do you make sence in your posts?
B Do you at least try to make sence in your posts?
C Do your posts show that you have done any research on the topic?
D Do your posts have annything to contribute to The Downs? (relevance)
E Do you humor me/are your sarcastic comments well placed?
F Are you helpfull to others, at least to some degree
G Do you have a great storage of knowledge on the life of JRR Tolkien and his works?
H Do you try to give and take from The Downs? (good) .... or are you only here to see your own words on a webpage without concern of their relevance? (Bad)
Old 08-02-2002, 11:38 AM   #47
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

That's a good way to rate people. Nice list, I'll follow that.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:04 PM   #48
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

That is a great system, Telchar. It really shows what rating a person deserves accurately. I'd have to say that if they got a 'yes' to 5 or more, I would rate them a five. If they got four, I'd rate them a four, and so on and so forth. If I ever decide to rate anyone, I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 10:20 PM   #49
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I don't like to give out bad ratings, because maybe the person is having a bad day, or made a mistake or something. I hate to give them a rating because one or two comments didn't make sense or were dumb. For all I know, the other 100 posts they have made are excellent. The only way I could justly decide an exact rating is to read every single post by a person, and I don't have that kind of time. Also, I wouldn't want someone to read only one or two of my worst posts and give me a bad rating.
If someone impresses me with something, I give them a 5, and that's all the rating I do.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:43 AM   #50
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That is a good point, the phantom, and why I only rate people either way after they have made some sort of impression on me. I usually don't pay much attention to who I am reading, so if I actually notice somebody it's a pretty big deal. Either they are really good or really bad, and deserve to be rated as such.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:07 PM   #51
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I rated people at first, but I only rated those who I thought deserved a five - so I never rated any lower than that. If I thought someone deserved lower I just didn't rate them at all. I guess I have trouble being mean (well, not mean, per-say, but just judgemental - I guess I'm too nice sometimes...).
I have given up on rating though, because a person's rating on this board really does not affect my opnion of them at all. That is why I took my rating off, I just think that it shouldn't matter (and this isn't because I was getting rated poorly, it's just because I didn't see a need for it anymore).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 04:30 PM   #52
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

im at an all time low-2.75
WHY?! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2002, 05:06 PM   #53
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I haven't displayed my rating since it shot up to 4 for no obvious reason and further analysis revealed that I was seeing one person's opinion (hardly unanimous). Not displaying my own rating, I don't really feel entitled publicly to rate others, so I don't use the bones. That's not to say that they're a bad idea, just not my cup of tea.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:04 PM   #54
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hee-Hee, Naz, I got 3.18, I beat you.

telchar, I'm gonna apply myself to your system.

A- No
B- Not really
C- Research?
D- Let's just say I'm comic relief
E- I humor, but they ain';t well placed
F- Helpful? My dad says I'm destructive
G- No
H- Bad
Old 09-02-2002, 06:29 AM   #55
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my early days of wightiness I rated a 2 and three 4's. Now I only rate 5's. If you don't deserve a 5 you're not rated by me. I rate people that make an impression on me.
--- And people seems to like me for it!! j/k [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 07:15 AM   #56
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I rated once, but I guess I rated the wrong way. It didn't make sense to me, but I wanted to rate, so I did it the wrong way. Don't remember how, and who, but this thread really brought a lot of things out of the dark.

I'll try to rate more often.

And for the few people who rated me, thank you for your appreciation!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:03 PM   #57
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I rate 1's if someone does something such as use the forum to promote their own site as opposed to the Downs. Don't laugh, it's happened. I was disappointed to find there was no zero. Otherwise I rate 5's.

Whenever someone begs me to rate them, or complains about their rating, I restrain myself from rating them. I really try not to make decisions when I'm annoyed, I'm not likely to be nice or fair...

I was down-rated once (deservedly) when I was a little sharp with Cimmerian. What I think is funny is I was down-rated when I out of town for a month. Now that's arbitrary. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maril
Old 09-04-2002, 09:10 PM   #58
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Tolkien

Here's food for thought: I've only rated about ten people, and most of those 5s (one 1). I've only be rated by about ten people, basically all fives, and only one 1. Coincidence? Put it on Ripley's?

-Maril
Old 09-04-2002, 09:19 PM   #59
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Quote:
I rate 1's if someone does something such as use the forum to promote their own site as opposed to the Downs
I always promote my page (members pic) in my signature but I also promote the Barrow Downs (Vote). [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]
Old 09-04-2002, 09:42 PM   #60
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Tolkien

Allow me to clarify - I'm referring to a particularly rude character who started leaving "the Downs sucks! Come to My site!" messages. No kidding. Really, a 1 was waaaay too high. But I couldn't think of way to fire a poison dart...

-Maril
Old 09-05-2002, 06:32 AM   #61
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Quote:
I'm referring to a particularly rude character who started leaving "the Downs sucks! Come to My site!" messages
If you mean that refugee from the Plaza, some of us went there to track him down. Lo and behold, they had just deleted some of his posts and were considering banning him altogether for spamming and trolling. I expect that the idea in posting here was to provoke some Downers into making anti-social posts on the other board to punish them for erasing his dross. Even a rating of one was more attention than he deserved.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:30 AM   #62
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
I rate 1's if someone does something such as use the forum to promote their own site as opposed to the Downs
I have my page in my signature, but it's a LotR page so I thought it was alright. And it's a small homepage, not something big like the Downs. It's just something to look at.

Quote:
I'm referring to a particularly rude character who started leaving "the Downs sucks! Come to My site!" messages
Ok, phew! That's not me then. But if there's a problem with me having my page in my sig, then please let me know. (I don't mean that in a bratty way, sorry if it sounded like it)
Old 09-05-2002, 04:40 PM   #63
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Pipe

Oh no, Long before that Plaza crew. I ignored those guys. This character actually had something to say about the LotR, knew his stuff even.

-Maril
Old 09-14-2002, 02:38 PM   #64
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well for one I am shocked that BW has a 4. something, [and I am not being a rear-kissing mod] I mean we would not be here w/out him, and I have never seen him post anything stupid which is more than I can say for a few 5's [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I also tend for 1 and's 5's.
and you have to really offend me to get a one from me because I am lazy and don't want to take the time to wait for reloading.

I did a 4 once which I regret greatly.

And a couple of times I have rated high to boost someone I would have otherwise not botherd to rate.

I do wish we could re-rate! I mean people are not static [at we shouldn't be. And itend to wait to see someone around for a goodwhile before rating.

Any options in that regared, like 'allow rerating'?

Like others I have sometimes voted high to balance out a perceived discrepancy.

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 10:19 PM   #65
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Oh, I'm not surprised BW has four bones. The mods et al have to do things people don't like. Just one of the fun parts of the job. Enjoy!

I wonder how many times Ron's asked himself.. I wanted to create an LotR site.. it would be fun, I said.. how much trouble could it be I thought..

-Maril
Old 09-14-2002, 11:40 PM   #66
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

Well, I have never rated anyone before. Why? Because I just never get around to doing it. I don't like judging people through numbers and such, I can think what I want of them in my own mind.
Actually, right now I have two ratings (bones), but for some reason they don't show up when I post something.

You know what, I have realized that I don't care how people rate me. So far (as I said above) all I have are two bones, and to me I actually consider that great! Any rating in my mind is a fantasic and pleasing gesture weather its a one bone, or a five bone rating, I don't care.

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Daisy Sandybanks ]
Old 09-15-2002, 12:29 AM   #67
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I've only rated two people before and I gave them both a 5. I haven't rated anyone a 1, though I have seen some that deserve it. I suppose that I'm just too nice. Anyways, I think I'll try rating people more often for now on.

Right now, my rating is 4.35, but only 2 people have rated me. Honestly, I don't think ratings matter. So many people have different opinions of others, and just because you got one or two low ratings, it doesn't mean you're a horrible person. Though, if 10+ people have given you low ratings, you might want start watching what you post.

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 04:05 AM   #68
Phoenix Solitude
Animated Skeleton

Phoenix Solitude has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Phoenix Solitude Send a message via AIM to Phoenix Solitude
Tolkien

I have never rated anyone and no-one has rated me. I think ratings are simply another way to be spiteful and hurtful and I do not wish to be a part of that. Truly, I think the ratings should be got rid of. I'd never plead to be rated, and I think that if you admire someone's work you should PM them to say it, rather than rate them, because then they don't know who admires their work.
Call me a blockheaded old fashioned faery brain but that's my view.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:53 AM   #69
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do both.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:15 AM   #70
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Heh. Phoenix, don't tempt me into rating you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-Maril
Old 09-16-2002, 11:03 AM   #71
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Nobody likes me [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I'm a 2.16
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] But I don't care [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] much [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I only rate people when I have a really strong view towards them, so I really only rate people 5s or 1s.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:31 PM   #72
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I'm a 3.49. Sorry to anyone who I angered, causing them to rate me poorly.

And I've noticed that whenever I make a comment about some RPG thread not being creative or whatever, my rating drops a lot.

I'm just doing what I'm supposed to do!
Old 09-16-2002, 02:56 PM   #73
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually it seems that you get marked down whenever when someone thinks that productive critism is to be taken personal.

Elenna, do not be upset when people get mad at you. That is part of the moderator's job. 50 percent of the time people hate and 60 percent people still do not like you. It is kinda like becoming the president of the United States, you get the bum rap whether you deserve it or not.

Just continue to do your job. As far as being a mod goes, you are very easy on people. It is fine that you are since the majority of people here are under the age of 18.

Ok back on topic here: I personally do not care for the bones. It is a easy way to dis on someone or compliment them on whatever. I am not too specific of why I give people bones, if they have a really cool sig, I will give them a five, I have yet to give bad bones.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:22 PM   #74
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turambar
Sting

I was wondering what "weighted" average means -- how is it weighted ? (Hopefully this isn't answered already, or I'll instantly get some "one bone" ratings just for not reading the thread before posting.)
Old 09-16-2002, 04:53 PM   #75
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They average it by add up the the number of votes then divide by the number of voters and you get your weighed average.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:16 PM   #76
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turambar
Sting

Wouldn't that be simply an average, not a weighted average ? In any case since the ratings are whole numbers(1, 2 ,3, 4, and 5), I'm not sure how I got 4 votes with a simple average of 4.83. Must be Mordor math.

I know this is trivial, but now I'm curious about it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 16, 2002: Message edited by: Turambar ]
Old 09-17-2002, 08:48 AM   #77
Phoenix Solitude
Animated Skeleton

Phoenix Solitude has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Phoenix Solitude Send a message via AIM to Phoenix Solitude
Tolkien

I honestly couldn't care less if anyone rated me. Rating is not a thing I care about! Rate me if you want but don't expect me to give a reaction.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:59 AM   #78
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

All math is Mordor math, my friend.

And I just ended up turning my ratings off - I don't need that sort of stress.

If any of you have a problem with me or what I post, please send me a pm. Rating isn't really specific, and it's hard to fix or explain something if you don't know what's wrong.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:51 AM   #79
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

You know, I've wondered about the rating option and whether or not there is a point to it. I think that it reduces the number of complaints to the BW by giving people a relatively harmless and immediate way to vent. Or compliment. Otherwise it's pointless. Although I like the feature where I can track down where someone has last posted. Certain people are always fun, and you can find some lively threads just following their trail. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-Maril
Old 09-18-2002, 04:03 AM   #80
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Turambar,

*curtsies admiringly to your imaginative, clever sig*

Bb